Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what besides anenomes do clowns host

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what besides anenomes do clowns host
    Posted: October 17 2005 at 11:44am
I want to get a coral or something for my tank for my clowns to host.  as of right now they like to just hang out in the corner because I don't have anything for them, and the larger one is starting to chill in my digitata.

I was thinking about getting an anenome but because you can't trim them down as they grow I'm afraid it will overgrow my tank and I'd have to take it out and sell it.

SO I was wondering what else can clowns host in that I can cut down as it grows?

I've heard of xenia, and some fuzzy mushrooms from faviasteve.  anybody have any other ideas?  I want something interesting.

thanks,
brady
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 11:47am
i had ocellaris that liked frogspawn.
dukester48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukester48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 11:50am
I think it really depends on the clowns..., I have two true percs that I kept buying stuff for every week trying to get them to host..., then I got a condy and then found out its not very normal for them to host in it..., so I gave up..., then in a couple months they started hosting in it...., then I got two tomatos for my other tank that just had xenia and a fuzzy mushroom in it and right away they took to both...
bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 11:56am
ok good to hear.  i think I'm leaning towards some type of interesting xenia.

My clowns are a pair of those utah bred tomatos
LostCauseZ06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 1:28pm
i have a percula,  and a clown gobie, they both host in my plate coral... (its a very big plate coral) and love it to death!
LostCauseZ06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostCauseZ06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 1:30pm

here is a pic for ya

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 2:03pm
One thing to note about tank raisied clowns, They do not always accept hosts. I have a  tank raised  perc that would never host in any anemone that I bought. I then bought  two wild percs that where hosting at the fish store. they took to my anemone and I also saw the tank raised try it out a few times. But to this day she prefers to not host in the anemone.

One trick I have heard of to see if your clown will attempt to host is to get an empty petri dish and silicone some cut rubberbands to it and see if the fish is interested. Never tried this, but I plan on adding it to a fry tank with intentions on breeding anemone aware tank raisied clowns.

Also, a downside to hosting in corals is that it can cause stress to the coral and it may or may not survive. I learned this the hard way with a goniopora.

Jeff
Jeff Rasmussen

bambbrose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bambbrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 2:41pm
yea thats why I want to get them something else to host in besides my digitata.  It seems like they are annoying it.

I'm hoping that they will take to Xenia.

Does anybody know of any xenia that has interesting colors around utah?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 6:34pm

Originally posted by jeffras jeffras wrote:

One trick I have heard of to see if your clown will attempt to host is to get an empty petri dish and silicone some cut rubberbands to it and see if the fish is interested. 

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work.

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 6:58pm
I'll let you know how long it takes when I do it! I'll also let you know if it works or if it is just a load! 
Jeff Rasmussen

Mantella20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mantella20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 8:45pm

my gold bar maroon loves green star polyps.  He sits in a massive clump all day long

Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 9:04pm
My Utah born tomato clown perfers a hammer.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 10:44pm
My anemone fish (for Adam) love their xenia.  My small tank is to small for an anemone so they hang out day and night in the vast field of xenia that grows so well there.  If you need some xenia I have plenty but it isn't anything unusual.
Linda Spencer
West Jordan
From My little corner of the sea
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic