Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snowflake Ell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bansheeair350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bansheeair350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowflake Ell
    Posted: November 06 2005 at 11:07am
I recently purchased a Snowflake Ell it is about 5 inches long and pretty small. I know that they like to escape so I covered all the openings on the back of my hood and covered the top of the spillway (overflow), but the Ell still has found a way to make it from the tank to the sump. The only way that I can see that it is getting there is through to little slits on the spillway, the Ell is small enough to fit through them (I think).

I am wondering if anybody knows how I can keep the Ell from going through the spillway (I would cover the little slits but I think that would cause a much bigger problem.

I was thinking about leaving it in the sump until it gets big enough to not be able to squeeze through the spillway, but I am afriad that the Ell would not survive to long in the sump.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
90 Gallon, 2 175watt MH, 4 110watt super atinic VHO's, Mag 950 return pump with sqwuid.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 11:17am
Get some of that Plastic crosshatch stuff that people use for crafting with yarn.  (I can't for the life of me think of what it is called.  Someone help me out here.)  Anyway the holes are just big enough to pull yarn through so the fish will not be able to get through it.  Put this up around the overflow holes so the water will go through it, but the fish cannot access the slits on the spillway. You will need to make sure it stays clean and may even need to clean it once a week, but It will keep the fish out of the overflow.
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 11:22am
that stuff works great and provides good flow but algea likes to grown on them and clog them up so keep an eye on it and/or clean it regularly.  its super cheap too at michaels or jo-ann fabric.
bansheeair350 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bansheeair350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 11:32am
That sounds like a great Idea.

Thank you,
Jeremy
90 Gallon, 2 175watt MH, 4 110watt super atinic VHO's, Mag 950 return pump with sqwuid.
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 2:02pm
Walmart has it also in the fabric section. I use it on my spillway.
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 3:04pm

Better than cross stitch "plastic canvas", as it is called, is Bridal Veil material at the fabric store. Water falls through it like nothing is there. Stretch it across the teeth of the overflow by jamming it with some kind of plastic piece/piece of vinyl tubing/etc. at each side tooth.

BTW, it is spelled Eel, rather than Ell.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic