Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Tang?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Tang?
    Posted: August 19 2003 at 4:54pm
What is the best tang? Taking into account everything like looks, cost, durability, agressiveness, compatability....
Adam
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 5:06pm
I love the Naso Tang. Very hardy imo, not horribly aggressive from my experience, relatively cheap, and great looking. I know that their not horribly rare, but I think they are a great addition to any tank.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 5:39pm
How can you pick just one? They all rock! Have you ever seen a fish as brightly colored as a yellow or a regal blue? And the powder blue and brown are awesome ('cept they are pricey and maybe not as hardy). Nasos are great algae eaters, almost as good as a plecostamus! I love our group. And everybody knows who is the boss: the big scopus! He's gorgeous!
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 5:40pm

If you want a Tang there are several that are great.

Want a yellow fish?  The Yellow Tang ranks high as an outstanding yellow fish!  They are pretty cheap as far as Tangs go.  They are hardy, look nice and make a great addition to the tank.  I currently have one and its been pretty peaceful after settling in a couple of days. Gets about 7-8 inches max.

The Sailfin Tank is a really sweet Tang too.  What a great looking fish too.  The down side is potentail size...about 15 inches max. 

Both of these two are great reef safe fish in my experience.  There are a couple of others that look nice too, but I havent personally kept them. Ie...Kole Tang, Purple Tang, Achilles Tang.  Be advised that they really need more than just flake food.  If you dont have adequate algae you will need to supplement thier diet with fresh "seaweed".  They have nori which is okay, and there are some frozen preps often recommended but I feel that these are all but worthless.  I grow a healthy supply of fresh greens in my Mangrove refugium and feed a couple of different types on a regular basis.  They really tear into it when I add some to the tank.

These two are just my personal favorite picks!  Good luck in your choice.  I would like to later hear what you end up with and how well it works out for you, if you dont mind

300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
240 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
135 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
75 gal. Softies only Tank
65 gal. LPS/Softies
24 gal. SPS/Softies Nano Reef
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 8:23pm
I just had my powder blue die
I have heard they are difficult to keep and I am now convieced of that. I have a yellow tank which seems very hardy. I would recomend a yellow for sure. i currious to hear more feed back on the naso.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 10:04pm
Best tang? I didn't know there were more then one flavor, but I've never liked that astronaut drink anyway. I'm more partial to freshly sqeezed orange juice myself.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 10:12pm
Powder Blues are by far the best looking IMHO, however as piston said, difficult to keep.
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 7:58am
I've only had great luck with Yellow, and Regal Tangs (Only one of each). I've tried Naso tangs, and have not been able to keep them and I have an 80 Gallon Tank. I'd say that unless you have at least a 120 Gallon Tank that Naso's are a huge risk, and the juveniles may be cheap, but not very hardy at all IMO.
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 9:58am
I've got a yellow, blue and a naso in my 72g. All were about 4" when I first got them.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 7:50pm
I've got a yellow a blue a purple a blonde naso a desjardini sailfin a scopas a achilles and a powder blue tang's in my 125g
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 9:10pm
I love my lavendar tang.  He's done well for the past few years.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2003 at 5:32pm
WOW!!! And the tangs haven't killed one another FIRE SHRIMP?!

Oh, and the answer to the question, the Hippo Tang is the best!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2003 at 5:49pm

Nope they school together great

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

bhaight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhaight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 9:07pm
I'll tell you I've liked my Sailfin tangs. I have a Pacific Sailfin Tang and a Red Sea Sailfin Tang and they both have done very well. Their colors are great and they've been very healthy even through an ick outbreak.
Diverdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2003 at 11:38am
Adam,
Youve'e seen my pair of Blue Tangs (Regal, pacific blue, Hippo whatever you want to call them). They are the most fun to watch fish in my tank. The pair came together and get along wonderfully. They are the most active fish in the tank and bring the tank to life. Very compatible with my Yellow Tang as well. Very hardy, they are atleast 2.5 years old.

Rich "Diverdan"

75 Gallon Reef
15 Gallon Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic