Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anemones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anemones
    Posted: August 22 2003 at 5:08pm

I am trying to decide if I should try my hand at an Anemone in my tank.  From all of the information I have read thus far this seems like a pretty iffy proposition at best.  Seems some people have done pretty good and many others have had a dismal track record with them.  Having one (a Bubble Tip) would be really cool but I dont want to have one if its gonna die on me every 3-6 months!  Not only is it a waste of a precious resource, I think its cruel too.  The LFS seems to do brisk sales of this anemone, but they personaly dont think too highly of the practice despite.  With that said....

Seems like there are several accomplished reefers here at this forum, does anyone have any info, experience or suggestions on successfully keeping these guys?

300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
240 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
135 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
75 gal. Softies only Tank
65 gal. LPS/Softies
24 gal. SPS/Softies Nano Reef
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2003 at 5:19pm

I'm far from being an accomplished reefer, but I put 2 Rose bubble tips in my 80 about a month ago and they both split, so now I have four of them!  I would say that you're ok to try your hand at one if your water parameters are good and you have enough lighting to make them happy.  From what I've read, BTA's need a lot of light.  I can't confirm if this is true or not, but mine are quite happy with the 500 watts of MH lighting and 220 watts of Actinics that I provide them with.

Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2003 at 6:24am
I have had one in a 10 gallon for over a year and it has split. yes you definetly need decent light. You also need very good water conditions.
What kind of lights do you have over your tank? How long has your tank been setup? I personally only recomend an anemone for an established tank.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2003 at 9:00am

I have a 125 thats been set up a few months.  All of the Live sand, Live Rock, water came from the old tanks, SPS and Soft corals came from these tanks as well.  There really wasnt a "cycling" event to speak of.  Ammonia went up a notch but was barely measurable a few days later.  Nitrites, Nitrates...Big goose egg there.  A majority of my filtration is from a 6 week old Mangrove refugium.  Lighting....there is enough to land a 747 at LAX!  Halides and VHO's with one NO actinic blue.  @1100 watts altogether.

I know these are some pretty tough customers to keep, I am just wondering if I really have a decent chance with one.  I am not by any means set on getting one, but it sure is tempting to be sure.  Dont have jack for fish, just a few, I am mainly into the coral thing.

Yeah I know what you mean...Its addicting, huh?  And I thought crack was a bad addiction all this time!  At least this (reefs) looks much better!!!

300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
65 gal. LPS/Softies
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2003 at 9:59pm
I think you should try it once you feel confident that the tank is stable. I have heard that Bubble tips are the easiest. IMO thats the best one to start with. I am getting ready to move one of mine to my 125. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I am certainly not an expert though
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2003 at 1:28pm
You can often find some that are aobut the size of a silver dollar, I suggest trying one of these. I've kept a haddon's carpet alive for a few years. It is still doing well, the only bad thing about these guys is that they eat fish. I've tryed four anemones and have only one die, and that one was a gigantea. Oh and I have tube anemones as well but they are not good in your main tank if you have a lot of fish.
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 9:16pm
Got very few fish, 5 damsels, 1 tang, 2 yellow stripe clowns.  I aint really too into the fish.  I am obsessive about corals, especially SPS & LPS.  Also in my 125 is about 180 lbs of live rock, 140 lbs of sand, a couple of soft corals and 1150 watts of lights.
300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
65 gal. LPS/Softies
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 11:50pm
If you favor coral as much as you say you do, take note of Ryan Footes experience with losing his favorite coral to the stings of a traveling anemone. If not pushed around by a clown (appropriate name, don't you think!) it moves around on it's own, looking for just the right spot, probably next to a nice purple tipped acro or a red/green brain, much to your dismay when one or both die.
On the other hand, if watched and given wide berth before the tank is full of coral it can be a pleasant sight. You may want to consider the Rock Flower Anemone. It moves around much less and finds it's spot without getting in the way so much. Unfortunately Anemonefish don't typically take to it.
My 2 cents
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic