Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for donations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
monsterscuba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsterscuba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for donations
    Posted: September 10 2019 at 5:50pm
Hello all, I am a science teacher at the new Cedar Valley High School in Eagle Mountain.  I have been asked to teach marine biology, which is only offered at one other school in Alpine School District. Being a new school and class I do not have many of the resources established yet that a marine biology class “should” have, IMHO.  I am trying to set up a 125g and 300g tank and would appreciate and be eternally grateful for any donation that you might be able to offer.  They are both dry and empty right now.  Things like old lights, salt, sand, and live stock would be gratefully accepted. 
No animals were harmed in this post, however a few billion electrons were slightly inconvenienced.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:10am
I'm not sure what I have for donations... random additives and stuff... but I'll be super interested to see what you use for curriculum.  I also a high school level marine biology course, and a few high school marine biology summer programs.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
S23RT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S23RT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2019 at 8:18pm
I have a bucket of instant ocean salt that you could have, in located in midvale 
Ephyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ephyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2019 at 3:57pm
Fast growing/Invasive corals like Green Star Polyp, Xenia and Montipora capricornis would be good for study because they can actually grow fast enough to notice obvious differences from day to day. Also you could easily have enough of them so that the students could conduct experiments like taking two frags of the same size and then measuring the growth differences in different tank parameters. If a student kills a frag no big deal because it's cheap and abundant.
I'd be happy to donate some of any/all of those three once you have a system cycled enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic