Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with Durso

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with Durso
    Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:37pm
So I built a Durso standpipe for my 58 gallon.  It uses a 1 inch bulkhead and the durso is 1 1/4 inch.  Everything went together fine and I had it nice and dialed in but then I dropped my drain below the water in my sump and now I get some mad gurgling.  I want to keep everything quiet but this is just loud.  Most of the noise is coming from the drain exit.  I have the pipe about 1 inch under water.

My setup is like this.  1 inch bulkhead 1 1/4 inch Durso pipe.  The pipe going into the sump is 1 inch hard pvc and it goes streight down.  The sump sits directly underneath the bulkhead so there is no bend in this drain exit pipe.
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:41pm
Im also running a Rio 12 HF its rated at 750GPH not sure how much im actually getting but do you think its too much?
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 1:12pm
can you extend the drain line deeper into the water in the sump?
90 gallon mixed reef
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 1:35pm
That doesnt seem to help.  It sound like my dishwasher is on when the tank is running.  
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 1:50pm

hofer gurgle buster

that should help... if your trying to stop the gurgling, suction type sounds

Edited by badfinger - January 02 2011 at 1:53pm
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 3:00pm
The hofer will help at the tank end, but wont do much at the sump end so if thats where most of the noise is coming from, you can try putting a 45 elbow on the end and shooting the water into the side of a filter sock to muffle it. Or you can put a ball valve on the end to slow the flow (hmm why does that phrase sound familiar? lol) You can even slow it down to where it is a full siphon with no air which is completely silent (the herbie method) but I wouldnt do this unless you have an emergency back up drain. Many people disagree with a valve on the drain, and think its better to valve the return so slow things down making things quiet, but i dont think its a big deal as long as you have a back up. I have a buddy with a similar setup to yours and he put a reducer bushing from 1 inch to 3/4 pipe on the drain and this made his alot quieter.
Life is good....right?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 4:06pm
It's a simple matter of restricting the water coming out at the bottom. Restricting the water creates a pool inside the drain pipe which prevents the large amount of air from being dragged down with the water into the sump. The level of the pool inside the drain pipe is adjustable. Easiest thing to use is a small gate valve but those aren't too practical so we most often use ball valves. If you like to save the cost of a ball valve, just restrict the end of the pipe with something. I often use short lengths of different sizes of vinyl tubing and/or bushings to reduce the opening.
It can take a little trial and error of adjusting to dial it in but it does the job.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 4:20pm
If I use a ball valve on the drain should I split the hose into two drains having one above the ball valve?
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 4:35pm
Will this work?

Edited by Chevmaro - January 02 2011 at 4:36pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 7:23pm
That's not what I described. Why are you suggesting that?
Chevmaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevmaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 8:23pm
Jeff suggested a backup drain.  Maybe I misunderstood.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 8:43pm
Oh.
So if it were me, unless I had an extra ball valve around, and I hate spending money for ball valves, Embarrassed I'd use something, even just a plastic bag held in place with strong elastics with a small hole punched in it to let out some water. If water backed up into the overflow, it means the water needs to drain a little faster. I'd enlarge the hole a little by sticking my finger in it while it's on the pipe.
That's a real quick way to see if it does the job.

To make it more permanent - I usually end up having several PVC parts and vinyl tubing in my fish stuff. You never know when it might come in handy. Embarrassed One vinyl tube can friction fit inside another and sometimes fit inside PVC parts.

I just thought of something else. I have found that a long enough length of corrugated tubing (RV Sump Tubing at HD or Lowes) when curled around underwater gives the water a chance to slow down and bubbles a chance to slow down, join up and rise. It kind of works like a car muffler to quiet the exiting water air combo.

Hope this helps. Smile
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Chevmaro Chevmaro wrote:

Jeff suggested a backup drain.  Maybe I misunderstood.
No you understood fine. I dont know how your tank is drilled but I was refering more to the herbie method in my suggestion. Here's a link that probably explains it better.
I think the design you sketched out will work although It wont be silent because you still wont be able to get a full siphon. But I do like how it has a backup drain. Even if you did go with what mark suggests using pvc or corrigated pipe looped around, its always a good idea to still have some kind of a backup drain in place. Also with your design you sketched out, I would cut the secondary drain pipe shorter then the other one so that you can easily see how much water is coming out.  It should just be afew drops unless there is some problem with the main drain. If you glance in there and your backup drain has water coming out you will know that something got stuck in the main or that its time to clean the ball valve.

Edited by Jeffs_little_ocean - January 02 2011 at 9:51pm
Life is good....right?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic