Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New secondhand tank question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New secondhand tank question
    Posted: September 11 2019 at 10:21pm
Hello there.  After being out of the hobby for about 5 years I found a deal I couldn’t pass up. I was looking the tank over when I got it home, looks great, but was wondering about the silicone seals. It looks like the edges are peeling up a bit and was wondering if that is going to cause troubles down the line. It’s not peeled all the way to the joint but has some none the less.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 8:26am
I never worry about silicone seals.  Even 20 years later.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
knowen87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowen87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 11:43am
That is up to you. I have dealt with used tanks before and they have worked well for me. But I did go with a new one this last time around. It was my 4th tank and I had been in the hobby for 6 years and knew that I would be in it for a long time. I have had seals that hold well even though they are deteriorated and peeling along the edges. It is understandable that you are concerned about a leak in the tank but it is a risk that every fish keeper has to deal with regardless of the age of the tank. When you put any tank in your house you risk it leaking or spilling water. Even tanks that are new could leak. There are some ways to mitigate your risk.
1) you need a stand that supports your tank perfectly, no exceptions (This in my opinion is the cause of most tank failures)
2) treat the silicone nice. Even a new tank can be ruined it you scrape the seals every time you clean the algae of the tank.    
3) If you are still concerned, be proactive and get some form of leak detection sensor. 
4) if you have a choice in the flooring (remodeling or new I would not remodel just to place a tank) choose a tile or vinyl that can stand up to some water. This is a good choice regardless of if you have a failure because you will get water on the floor. 

Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 1:28pm
hard not to take those bits of advice! Thank you both for your opinion and time!  I’ll fill her up this weekend and see if it’s all good, if it is I probably won’t worry about it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic