Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power filter question...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power filter question...
    Posted: January 09 2011 at 1:05pm
I have a 30 gal with no sump or refugium. I have a HOB powerfilter that is rated way higher that tank size. My question is : Is it really doing anything good? I rinse out or change the filter pad and get "some" gunk out of it but nothing big. Sometimes I put my AC in it. Should I eliminate it from my system?
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 1:10pm
thats actually good, running carbon is also good idea. I seen a 400gph filter on a 10G system
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 1:27pm
Carbon is good. Water movement is good. If you clean it regularly, mechanical filtration is good.
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 1:30pm
I'd thought about eliminating it and finding another way to run the carbon. I does add flow and water agitation. I just don't want it to be a nitrate(?) factory some have warned me about. I guess cleaning often is what I need to do.

Edited by xlr8r - January 09 2011 at 1:31pm
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 1:31pm
I would keep it on there. Great for running AC and some mechanical filtration. Especially if you don't have a sump or fuge.

Do you have any other type of mechanical filtration, like a canister filter, sponges on power head intakes or such? and do you have anything that skims the surface of the water?

Some type of mechanical filtration is helpful in most all tanks but you want to make sure you clean the media frequently to prevent nitrate production. Surface skimming is also important IMO for good oxygen exchange. An easy way to skim the surface using a hang on filter is to build an overflow box into the tank and put the intake of the hang on filter inside the box while the return dumps into the tank. You can also make your own simple filter that will do the same thing using a power head. Here is what I did in a 10 gallon tank. The filter sponge does the mechanical filtration and the overflow skims the surface without having to drill the tank. Just cut a piece of sponge to fit the size of the overflow box.

It is important when using this type of filter to keep your water level up so the pump doesn't run dry.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic