Print Page | Close Window

using old fresh water for new salt water

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: Posts that don't fit in any of the other categories.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1373
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 1:00am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: using old fresh water for new salt water
Posted By: Guests
Subject: using old fresh water for new salt water
Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 4:54pm
Hi, i am a new user to utahreefs.com.  i am trying to set up a new salt water tank and and i am getting all kinds of contradicting information.  i am setting up a 55 gallon; fish only tank.  the dealer helping me to set up the tank said it would be ok to use the water i had from a pre-existing freshwater tank.  i have it all set up including the salt and now i hear from another dealer that that is a NO NO!!.... taking polls, i find some think it doesnt matter and some think it is a death knell to to any fish i put in the tank as the bacteria are not the same.  some say the salt has killed any bacteria that would have affected the fish.  it has been set up for 1 week with no fish yet.  someone in the know, please contact me as soon as you can.  thank you!  connien.

Replies:
Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 5:14pm

Well since water is basically free, why even chance using old water from another tank???  I don't want to say it is good or bad, but it sure is easy to dump it out and start over so why not play it safe and do that? 

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 5:20pm
Wow! That's a new question!

You just took your freshwater tank and added some instant ocean?
Did the tank ever have copper in it? Copper won't hurt fish but you're
gonna want some hermits and snails and woodspolyps once you see
'em.......

It seems to me like the freshwater bacteria will die and quickly be
replaced with saltwater bacteria, though. I wonder if you will have a
lot of silicates and phosphates leftover. You might have a ton of
nuisance algae, but you would anyway, 'cause tanks have to go
through different cycles, some better than others. Maybe your hair
algae or cynanobacteria (both not preferred by anybody except
Adam) cycle will be longer than if you just started over with new RO
water. If you don't mind waiting and seeing.....

When you get your starter fish, get damsels that you won't mind if
they live! Sometimes they live a long time, which is good if they're
not mean a-- fish!

And we have 'shrooms that like to be in fish only tanks!

Let us know how it works!

-------------
http://www.suzysreef.com - SuzysReef.com

http://z4.invisionfree.com/UtahBreeder/index.php?showtopic=11&st=0&#last - Using Macroalgae for Aquascaping

Posted By: crazy-sps
Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 7:04pm
I agree with Adam, dump it and get r/o water.  I don't agree that its free though.  If you don't have a R/O unit, then it can be about $0.30 - $.50 per gallon.

Posted By: Carl
Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 9:24pm

Ro is $0.25 per gallon at Aquatic Dreams. I believe that it's their price for premixed too, but I can't remember. I would say that it's wise to dump it, but there are alot of things to take into consideration. How has the water been treated? Were there any diseased fish? How clean is the water, I.E. water changes. But for 50 gallons after substrate and rock (real conservative guess) it would cost you... times .25... carry the 2.... divided by Pi...  $12.50.

Now, you can also ask your LFS to give you some water out of their tank to speed up the cycle process. If they are good folk and you trust their tanks, they'll do it. Another way to do it is to get someone that has a marine setup to do a water change and use their effluent. Also, you can get some sand from other people's tanks that is "seeded", meaning that it has all sorts of necessary goodies in it. All of this will expedite your process.

Good luck to you. I think that most here would agree that the marine aquarium hobby is alot more interesting than fresh. Alot more challenging too. Have some fun!

-------------
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 9:43pm
Carl, help me out here.  How does water from an established tank help your new tank?  Nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria are not free-floating.  Water does not have this bacteria in it.  Sand and rock do, though.  You can do a full water change, and as long as you do not dry the sand out, not loose any ability for your tank to break down waste.  The only thing I can see you gaining by adding another tanks water to yours would be waste that may help your tank start a cycle.  But that's what fresh, stinky live rock and fish are for.  If you do not agree, please tell me why.

Posted By: DutchDude
Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 10:00pm
Plus I would make triple sure that you don't get the water from a LFS that uses any copper (like most of them seem to do lately)

I would agree with the rest - buy a cheap RO setup at your LFS / Ebay / Home Depot or something. You will need top-off water anyway in the future. Depending on the lights, it might evaporate anywhere from 1 gallon every few days - to 3 gallons a day :-)

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 10:03pm

Most established freshwater tanks have high nitrates (over 100, depending on husbandry over 200 ppm).  Why would you want to start your marine tank with that much nitrate?  The nitrosoma/nitrobacter bacteria might be different strains, but nitrate is nitrate whether it's floating around in fresh water or salt water.  I'd change it out.  RO is best but tap water is fine too for the initial charge.  I'd strongly suggest using RO water for all make-up water afterwards.

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 10:08pm

There is lots of bacteria in the water, not just in the sand and rock. 

Water is free, many people are using tap water, and even if you paid $25 per gallon for water, 50 gallons is under $15.  That is free when talking about the marine hobby. 

But why even consider using the freshwater???? Where does that idea even come up as a good idea?

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 10:18pm

Adam, do you have a link or something for me read?  I am curious about the bacteria free-floating.  Again, possibly I have learned from the wrong source.

Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 10:27pm

"Don't be alarmed if during the next 24 hours the water turns a "milky white". This is caused by free floating bacteria that will eventually make its home in the gravel and filter system(s), and should clear up within 2 to 3 days."
That is a a quote from http://members.tripod.com/~lisajh62/SettingUp.html - http://members.tripod.com/~lisajh62/SettingUp.html

That implies that the nitrifying bacteria is only free-floating if your water is cloudy.

"Now that the ammonia has given birth to nitrite, the nitrite in turn give birth to the third and final nitrifying bacteria, nitrobacters. These bacteria are living entities that require oxygen and food (an ammonia source) to survive, grow on the surfaces of everything in the tank, and the waste from nitrobacter are shown in the form of nitrate with a test kit." is a quote from http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrogencycle/a/aa073199_2.htm - http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrogencycle/a/aa073199 _2.htm

The phrase is bold says that the bacteria has to grow on a surface.

The nitrosoma/nitrobacter bacteria might be different strains, but nitrate is nitrate whether it's floating around in fresh water or salt water.  - from Jfinch

The last phrase of the second quote, "the waste from nitrobacter are shown in the form of nitrate," confirms what Jon said about there being nitrate in any water, but not the bacteria itself.

Date Posted: December 01 2003 at 10:46pm
Perhaps I was misquoted.  I actually think everyone's right on this topic.  The bacteria will be free floating in the water column, but the majority will be found on solid surfaces such as rock/sand/bioballs/ect.  I think the actual strains of nitrifying (and denitrifying) bacteria are different in salt water and fresh water.  At least that was the last thing I recall reading about it.  My statement from above was only in regard to the actual end product, nitrate.  That will be the same in any water.

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 6:52am
Hey, Connien! Be careful about using tapwater if you live on the
southwest part of our valley. Riverton uses well water, and Kennecott
has sorta cleaned up their vitro tailings pond use, but for years they
dumped a lot of crap into the land which will seep for decades to
come! (Don't worry, Mike Levitt will protect us now!)

You can get RO H2O from the grocery store for 39 cents....

Who told you to just use your freshwater tanks water? Was that a
dealer in our valley?

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 7:52am

Crazy, my thought process behind using water from an established tank does not focus on a specific strain of bacteria. In a water column, there may be many different strains of bacteria found. Some will attach to a substrate when they find a food source using their cilia. Cilia are complex appendages, sometimes longer than the bacteria, that permit motion. In most of our tanks, they will tend to ride the current and then propel themselves to a food source. Also, cilia are formations present on some bacteria, especially Gram Negatives, that permit adhesion.

Something to remember is that bacteria ia not affected by gravity in a flowing body of water. They tend to suspend and multiply. Now, when a particle of whatever they are feeding on drops out or settles out of the free flowing water column, so do they. From there, they can then spread to other food sources within the substrate. Think of it this way, have you ever heard of people getting sick from swimming or bathing in a pond, lake or even a pool? I have, it happens all too often. Generally, it is due to a high bacterial count in the water column. It will be in the substrate as well, but most people don't get sand in their nose or ears or down their gullet. It's in the water.

Now also consider that bacteria will generally multiply every 15-30 minutes. You start out with one cell and in 18 hours, you have millions from that one cell. To me, if it is from a tank of someone that I trust with water quality, I want whatever good bacteria is suspended in their water as well as what is in their sand. I won't go into the MANY forms of bacteria, other organisms, beneficial minerals, etc that are generally present in an established, healthy tank.

Class is over for now. Sorry if I bored you, but you asked!

-------------
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 8:39am

Carl, you have not bored me at all.  I enjoy learning and reading your quality of writing.  What you said makes sense, it just doesn't go along with what I have read and what I have posted from sources on the internet.  I'm not saying that the internet is the bible or anything, but do you have a source where you learned this that I may read?  Thanks!!

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:15am

Well, I am sure that I can find referencing sources on the web but I can find contradictory as well. I am just utilizing my experience and training with biologicals in industry. I also try to use common sence. As viruses can pass through contact with surfaces, it can also be atomized and airborne. Well, bacteria mobilize the same way in fluid. Just do a search regarding bacteria and how it moves around. I am glad that you don't read everything that you read.

Thanks for the comment on my writing. I guess that the schooling has paid off.

-------------
In Syracuse

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:59am

I am glad that you don't read everything that you read.
Huh?

I guess to sum it up, from everyone's posts.  There is some bacteria that is floating trying to find a home on a surface.  The majority of it is surface based, though.  Therefore, the main concern of this thread was whether or not to use existing fresh-water and convert it to salt-water.  I would not do it.  I think it would work, but more than that, there is no need.  Most fresh water tanks have lava rock and other items that may introduce metals into the water.  Plus, as Jon said, the water will have nitrate in it.  It seems to me, that the existing water would be the same as tap water.  Some people have used tap water with great success, like Mark.  The other concern that Carl brought up is using water from existing salt water tanks to help "kick-start" your own tank.  As we have discussed, there is some nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria floating, so you will get that.  But you will also get ammonia & nitrate, which shouldn't hurt anything since the tank you are starting is a new one.  I now think that it may help a little, but not much (again, just my opinion).  I think a better way to do it would be to get some sand from an established tank, as Mark gives out, to get your bacteria.  That way, you also have the possibility of getting some pods.  Thanks guys (and Suzy), I hope connien got as much from this as I did, since it was his thread.

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 10:51am
Sorry... believe everything that you read.... I need another cup of coffee I guess....

-------------
In Syracuse

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 10:56am
pour one for me too!!

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 12:05pm
What dealer would give that advice?

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 1:37pm

Suzy, who knows? It's an opinion and until someone performs a test on aquarium water in a like tank and finds factual bad elements or contaminants, maybe their advice is sound? After all, it is water. Water can be conditioned, highly filtered, etc and would be suitable to drink. Personally, I have consumed water from a stagnant swamp in Africa and survived. Of course, it was through a portable RO filter straw, but I think that you get the idea. I don't think that the "dealer" should be torn apart because we have a difference of opinion.

Just my $2.

-------------
In Syracuse

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 4:33pm
Carl, good call...

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 4:40pm
   I was just curious...When I made the switch from fresh to salt to
fresh to salt,I thought it was a good reason to clean out the fish poo
from under the under-gravel filter/DSB/river gravel/plenum or
whatever was the fashionable aquarium bottom that year.....

I was just curious if was somebody I know. I didn't mean to tear
him apart.....Sorry
And I never said it was bad advice...........

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 5:36pm
Welcome.
Congratulations for finding the WMAS website and good for you for asking the question. Here is my opinion of what a person new to the hobby should do. We have had many separate threads lately regarding the same "newbie" question, BTW.

Read, listen and compare several sources of information.
Initially disregard most things written more than 10 years ago regarding "proper" marine aquarium set-ups.

Be cautious regarding everything you read and hear.

Visit all the pages of this site and ask questions along the way, as you are already doing.

Know that there are many ways to do it and most ways will work, even using a freshwater tank without cleaning it.

Besides the pet store or online get some Live Rock and Live Sand from local hobbyists. This ensures that you will have a variety of helpful cleaning organisms that are suited to typical marine aquaria and beneficial to your own little ecosystem.

Know that many coral are easier to care for than fish. My opinion is that someone that doesn't place easy corals in with their fish hasn't noticed how much more beautiful the tank can be . It's sort of like adding drapes to the windows and pictures on the walls of your home.

Start with a few organisms and add more as time and $$ permit.

Be ready to change the tank as you go along and don't be surprised when you learn that something you first thought was "gospel" truth turns out to be just someones opinion, and sometimes kinda wrong!

Email me and ask for the reference materials prepared by the WMAS to help us learn more about how to effectively keep marine/reef aquaria. mailto:[email protected] - [email protected]

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 8:36pm

Suzy, I must have misunderstood your intentions. My apologies. And I didn't mean to imply that you were tearing or would tear them apart. I just thought that if the individual or LFS name were posted that it would give the opportunity for some sort of open targeted bashing. That's all....

Still love me?

-------------
In Syracuse

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by crazy-sps crazy-sps wrote:

Adam, do you have a link or something for me read?  I am curious about the bacteria free-floating.  Again, possibly I have learned from the wrong source.

You have definately learned from the wrong source.  But don't worry, it is something that everyone is confused on.  I don't want to sound like I know everything, because this isn't my specialty but I'll try. 

There is a TON of bacteria in the water column.  Around 1x10^6 bacteria per mililiter.  In my mind that is an astounding number.  Now the substrate WATER (NOT THE SUBSTRATE ITSELF) contains around 10x more than that.  Yes, I know that will cause some discussion but water in the substrate may be more important than substrate size. 

However..... I didn't say that this bacteria is the denitrifying bacteria.  Although I am saying it now, there is the bacteria for all stages of nitrification in the water column.  In other words, without live sand, or live rock, you can cycle an aquarium just by using water from other tanks.  My tank contains about 50% water from Steve Lopez, I figured that was good enough to get my tank going. 

So, there is a ton of bacteria in the water (in my mind) but most of the "filtration" bacteria is certainly in the water around the substrate. 

Hope this clarify things, sorry if I didn't explain that well before.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

[QUOTE=crazy-sps]

So, there is a ton of bacteria in the water (in my mind)

Adam, you might want to see a doctor about that! Water in your brain... not good my friend.

-------------
In Syracuse

Posted By: ewaldsreef
Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:02pm
Got in on this a little late. I would like to offer my 2 cents. I am farely cheap not by choice. However with how much I spend on livestock water is a very small expense. I have invested in an ro unit and only use ro water. When i first started this hobbie I used regular tap water. I had major algea problems and would never do this again. I dont want to start a debate about ro vs tap because I knw some people on this board use tap water sucessfully. My whole point without rembling on is WHY RISK IT !! Use new water in your salt water tank. There is no reason not to unless you conducting a scientific experiment for some reason.

-------------
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Posted By: Marcus
Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:13pm
Adam, thank you for your response. How much of that free-floating bacteria is nitrifying and denitrifying? The links that I posted clearly stated that the bacteria we need grows on a surface. I have a hard time thinking that these authors are in left field. My post earlier, that you qouted, asked you for a link or some suggested reading material. Do you know of any?

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:20pm
I once heard a respected guest speaker say that the ammonia in fish urine quickly turns to nitrite while still in the water column! Could this be factual?

-------------

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

So, there is a ton of bacteria in the water (in my mind) but most of the "filtration" bacteria is certainly in the water around the substrate.

Adam, you still say the bacteria is in the water around the substrate (I say it's on the substrate... but I may have been sleeping in my biology class).  What is it about the water around the substrate that makes it a home for filtration strains of bacteria?  I agree fully that there are bacteria floating around in the water but even though 10^6 is a big number, it seem logical to assume that that is not enough to provide nitrification in a typical tank.  This is why we have bacterial filters.  All bacterial filters consist of lots and lots of surface area (wet/dry, fluidized bed, ect).  Isn't that surface there for the bacteria to colonize?  Are we back to the dolphin discussion yet?  Will this be covered in class on Thursday?

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: December 02 2003 at 10:44pm
Lithotrophic bacteria are found in soil. Most common and important types in the aquarium are nitrosomonas and nitrobacter. These are vital in the active removal of ammonia and nitrite. Since they are aerobic, they require an adequate supply of oxygen passing over the colony, they also are supplied with their food source, ammonia and nitrite from the passing water. They require clean hard surfaces where they can anchor themselves and create active populations and colonies.
The above quote is from
http://shell.pubnix.net/~spond/glossary/glossary.html#lithot rophic
The last sentence states my point.

This topic has really bugged me, as many of you can tell. I have searched the internet and I have found many more websites than I have posted. I have yet to find one that has sided against me on this. Sorry to be such a pain in the rear. I just want a solid answer. I even e-mailed a professor from one of the websites.

Date Posted: December 03 2003 at 7:47am

Marcus,

If I may, one of the reasons that bacteria may proliferate in substrate is due to the mass of decomposing waste that will settle out. A bacterial strain wil proliferate based greatly upon conditions. If there is an abundant food supply, the strain may increase more rapidly or rather the die-off will not be as great, therefore the cell count is greater.

Something to recognize, and I think that it is something that has not been nailed to the floor thus far, is that the denitrifying bacteria are not the only strain that you have or want or NEED in your ecosystem. There are many, many other forms of bacteria present all playing a vital role in the success of your ecosystem. To say that lithotrophic bacteria are ONLY found on substrate or attached to a clean, hard surface is a strong generalization. What do they consider a clean, hard surface? Can a grain of sand fit the bill? What about LR?

Recognize as well, that there are suspended organic solids in the water column. Much of these solids will remain in suspension, and if you have organics, you have bacteria. Period. Hence, the amount of bacteria "floating" around in the water column feeding on these organics is astounding.

Recognize as well that you may have a strain that feeds on something else in your system. There are bacteria strains that can consume just about anything including petroleum products. (Yes, Jon... I can put you out of business).

What Adam is saying in his last post is absolutely true, there is a ton of bacteria in the water, denitrifying and otherwise, As an example... does fish urine settle into the substrate? How then is it broken down and ammonia released? That ammonia then, where does it go? It's not a solid, so it won't settle. Just something to make you say, HHhmmmmm

-------------
In Syracuse

Date Posted: December 03 2003 at 9:01am

Marcus, welcome back,

Okay so my conclusion on this.  First of all Marcus, Jon, and Carl you guys are all great!  Yes Carl even you .  They way I see it you are all making good points.  I'll do my best once again to give input, but this really isn't my field.  Marcus- I don't have a link off the top of my head, but trust me there is a ton of bacteria in the water and it does contain nitrifying bacteria.  I've read this and worked with people who study it.  However, Jon, the majority of the bacteria involved in the nitrifying process are in the substrate area.  Not all of that bacteria is attached to the surface of substrate but it is actually in the water down there in the sand (this is new research as of last year).  Because of this the idea of smaller particle size for the sand is now being disputed, and is the reason I don't support it.  The actual bacteria count appears to be the same REGARDLESS of the substrate size.  Picture this... in you sand you have tons of bacteria growing on the surface area of a piece of sand.  The bacteria grow and reproduce so much, that they can't all fit in on sand.  So they just start "hanging out" in those little teany water pockets.  Now if you stir up your sand you will get an ammonia spike.  Why?  Not because of the bacteria on the substrate, they won't do anything, but because of those little free floating bacteria which are now released into the water.  Many of them will die soon because they can't live in oxygenated water. 

So as Carl said, there are lots of good bacteria.  And there are lots of denitryfing bacteria.  Most of our filtration bacteria is in the sand, no doubt, but it is also everywhere in the tank.

I hope this makes sense.

Adam 

-------------

Date Posted: December 03 2003 at 9:25am

Adam, thank you for the the clarification.  This is an interesting topic that I'll have to stew over for a while... you've peaked my interest.

Carl, keep those little bugs away from my oil!   Seriously, you're absolutely right.  There is a strain of bacteria that thrive in diesel fuel!  But ve ave our vays to eliminate sem, don't ve?

-------------
Jon

Posted By: Jake Pehrson
Date Posted: December 03 2003 at 10:03am

These things I agree with:

1. A lot of bacteria is found free floating in the water, but not even close to what is found on the surfaces in your aquarium (glass, substrate, filter pads, etc.)
  2. Nitrification happens in the water column, but to a minor degreee compared to the nitrification happening in the substrate, filters, etc.

Thing I DISagree with:

1. Now the substrate WATER (NOT THE SUBSTRATE ITSELF) contains around 10x more than that.
    • I disagree.  The majority of the bacteria found in the substrate is attached to the substrate not free floating in the water around the substrate.
    • The number of organisms that can be maintained in a marine tank is usually proportional to the amount of surface area on the gravel of the aquarium available for the Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter bacteria to attach to (Marietta College, Water Science and Technology Volume 2002)
  2. The actual bacteria count appears to be the same REGARDLESS of the substrate size. 
    • If bacteria is more numerous on surface areas compared to free floating.  The more surface area provided for the bacteria the more bacteria you will have.  In other words the smaller the substrate grain size, the more surface area, the more bacteria.

My $0.02

-------------
Jake Pehrson

Murray

http://coralplanet.com" rel="nofollow - coralplanet.com

http://utahbeeranch.com" rel="nofollow - :)

Date Posted: December 03 2003 at 11:03am
OMG, I think I better back off this topic before I get into another Utah Rock debate. HAHAHA... Where's Mark?
Thanks for the great posts guys!!!

Date Posted: December 06 2003 at 11:40am
I go away for a few days and look what I come back to
Seriously, I enjoyed reading and updating myself regarding the info and opinions posted. Seems to me that there is a lot of room for progress in the area of bacterial "filtration". Who knows what the future will be?

-------------

Date Posted: December 06 2003 at 8:28pm

UPDATE,

Here are the bacteria numbers, I was off but look how close I guessed before! 

Bacteria in the Water Column 5x10^5 per mL

Bacteria in Substrate 1x10^9 per gram substrate

Hope this helps, or atleast causes more debating..... just kidding.

Adam
ps- info from Scripps Coral Pathology Department

-------------

Date Posted: December 06 2003 at 8:34pm

Adam,  do you know if that's bacteria ON the substrate or is that from a water sample drawn from within the substrate?

2000 times more is significant, isn't it? 

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: December 11 2003 at 1:01pm
Below is the response from an e-mail that I sent to Dr. Michael Pidwirny on Dec. 2nd regarding this topic. I don't know if this answered any more questions or not. However, I did post above that I wrote the professor so I wanted to post his response.

Hi Marcus,

They are both free floating and anchored. The free floating bacteria probably are few in numbers and don't do a significant amount of nitrification or denitrification. Of course, many aquarium filtration systems try to enhance the growth of bacteria on surfaces that are spherical or other shapes that maximize surface area. Names given to this medium for growing bacteria vary with the manufacturer. I remember one type being called "bio-balls". However, to be effective the water of the tank needs to be continually passed over the bacteria colonies. In under-gravel filtration set-ups the bacteria would grow on the gravel above the plastic filter.

Water out of the tap probably has few bacteria in it as a result of chlorination and other processes. So getting water from an establish tank probably quickens the process of building up one's bacteria colonies. It would probably be better to get some gravel or filtration medium from an established tank.

There are products that one can purchase that suggest they can speed up bacteria establishment. I use one called Cycle made by Nutrifin. I have fresh water tanks for my kids with Guppies and Platys. A while ago I had many tanks going with african killifish of various species.

Denitrifying bacteria convert nitrate and nitrite into a gaseous forms of nitrogen - I think mainly N2. This would diffuse into the air outside of the tank.

Cheers ... Michael

On Dec 2, 2003, at 10:21 PM, MARCUS HEYGSTER wrote:

Dear Dr. Pidwirny,
I am a salt water aquarium hobbyist from Salt Lake City, Utah. I was reading your website
http://www.geog.ouc.bc.ca/physgeog/contents/9s.html
and have a question regarding nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. In salt and fresh water aquariums, fish and other inhabitants produce waste. Does the nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria that help to break down this waste grow on surfaces or is it free-floating?
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1373&PN=1 &TPN=1
The above link is to the forum that brought up this question. Salt water aquariums require a "cycling" period where the bacteria will grow to a level that is able sustain the bio-load of the inhabitants. During this cycle, the owner has to be very careful of how many inhabitants to add for the fear of overloading the bacteria, thus having a tank full of ammonia. Some hobbyists here have been getting water from an established tank to help with the cycle of their new tanks. I wonder if the water that they are getting even has nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria in it.
I go by the names "crazy-sps" and "Marcus on the forum. Any help that you can give would be appreciated. I assume that you are very busy and understand if you do not have time to answer this. Maybe you could refer me to some suggested reading material or other web links.
Thank you very much!
Marcus Heygster

Date Posted: December 11 2003 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Adam,  do you know if that's bacteria ON the substrate or is that from a water sample drawn from within the substrate?

2000 times more is significant, isn't it? 

I missed the post from you Jon, sorry, just seeing it now.  First--- Marcus that was a great email you sent and a great response as well. 
Jon- it use to be assumed that when you took water from the substrate you were removing the bacteria that were growing on the surface of the substrate and that was being pulled from the substrate and sucked up into the pipette. 
Now, however, it appears (but is still shaky) that the bacteria is actually in that high concentration at all times in the water down there in the substrate.  This makes sense to me, so I don't see reason to think otherwise.  Basically, this theory is that the water down there is just really thick with bacteria. 

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2003 at 1:31pm
Adam, thanks!! This new information that you are writing about, is it from a new study? Do you think its possible for the rest of us to read it?

Date Posted: December 11 2003 at 1:36pm

Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

Adam, thanks!! This new information that you are writing about, is it from a new study? Do you think its possible for the rest of us to read it?

Yeah they are new studies, a couple from last year.  I don't think there is any online form of it, but I'll check.  I only know this stuff because one of my colleauges is a researcher who is studying this.  I just check with him when I have questions. 
I'm going to see if I can get an online view, or maybe a pdf file of the articles.  Unfortunately, it isn't overwhelming evidence either way.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2003 at 2:16pm

Adam,  I can see how it might be difficult task to determine if the bacteria are are in the intersticial water or on the surface.  How the sampling is done would be the crux of the problem.  I'm open to thoughts different then mine and would probably enjoy reading any recent studies regarding this issue.

But, to me it only makes sense that the bacteria are on the surface.  How do you explain the effectiveness of a wet/dry where the water velocity is very high and change over of water is great.  The bacteria there have to be on the surface not in the water.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: December 11 2003 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

But, to me it only makes sense that the bacteria are on the surface.  How do you explain the effectiveness of a wet/dry where the water velocity is very high and change over of water is great.  The bacteria there have to be on the surface not in the water.

Yeah that is a good question.  I for one am not sure, but want to say that is the reason they are NOT that effective.  Now that is debatable as well, but my understanding is that what wet/drys do well is that they remove the organics (which get caught in the balls) and don't allow them to pass on to the rest of the system.  The actual breakdown process hasn't been proven to me. 
Also, I do agree bacteria are on the surface in all of these examples (wetdry, substrate, sponges, filter floss, ....) I just also believe the bacteria is ALSO high in the dead water spaces that accompany them.  So that is why I believe filter pads were so well, all that surface area, and all those little pockets of bacteria water.
Once again, me feelings why you can squeeze your filter pads into someone elses tank and quickly jump start their tank... all that water that you squeeze out is bacteria water.

I could be wrong, but this view point just makes too much sense to me to ignore it.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2003 at 3:15pm
Adam,
You said that wet/dry filter are not that affective? I would have to disagree when it comes to nitrifying bacteria. However, I do not feel that it is effective at all with denitrification because it is not an anaerobic area. I have not noticed a lot of waste getting caught in bio-balls. If it were, I think it would be a time bomb unless they were cleaned very frequently. That is the reason why I am not a fan of canister filters (just my opinion). As far as squeezing a filter pad into someone else's tank and jump starting their tank, isn't that due to the waste from the pad giving the small amount of bacteria in the new tank something to "eat", thus letting it start to multiply?

Date Posted: December 11 2003 at 3:25pm

Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

As far as squeezing a filter pad into someone else's tank and jump starting their tank, isn't that due to the waste from the pad giving the small amount of bacteria in the new tank sometime to "eat", thus letting it start to multiply?

No I don't believe so.  If we add waste to a new tank it causes problems. But water from a filter or sponge, or sock, or whatever (to me) is a good thing because it introduces all that bacteria.  I don't think we usually need to add food for the bacteria. 
However, you guys could argue against me that the when squeezing the sponge water out, you are actually squeezing out the bacteria that were growing on the surface areas of that sponge.  I think that is what Jake would argue, and that is a very good arguement.  That indeed may be what is happening and most people would agree with Jake on that. 

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: December 11 2003 at 10:48pm
it's my understanding that bacteria reside on the surfaces of the detritus/organic waste that is caught by the filter pad or sponge. Even a supposedly clean pad can quickly form a film of bacteria on every fiber surface. This film is partially dislodged when squeezed or washed off. Bacteria occur by the billions on every small object, even dust in the air, and they can more than double in less than an hour. That's a huge amount of bacteria that can grow in just one day. Anywhere that nutrients are, you'll find bacteria. Nutrients are high in organic matter that's caught in filter media.

Here's something to think about. Here in Utah, if you place a jar of mixed saltwater outdoors for a couple days then bring it in and set it in a sunny window, it will start to grow algae and bacteria that fell into it on airborne mist or particles from the ocean.

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2003 at 7:28am

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Anywhere that nutrients are, you'll find bacteria. Nutrients are high in organic matter that's caught in filter media.

I agree.  So let me ask you this.  Are there bacteria in the filter media, that are not growing on the surface of the filter media?  Instead they are growing on the organic matter trapped there?  It sounds like that is what you are saying.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2003 at 9:14pm
Yes, My understanding is that they definitely are finding their way to the source of dissolving nutrients. This is a silly analogy, but I always sit up to the dinner table.

A good portion of the bacteria "in the water" is probably riding on suspended particulate organic matter.

I also understand that there are many types and strains of bacteria in our tanks as in the wild, each with it's own preferences. Some probably prefer going solo in the water where there is food in the water. Others probably hang around together in colonies in the water and on surfaces.

If this is starting to sound unpleasant, remember that billions of bacteria can live on a pinhead.
Bacteria are part of the cycle of life that supports us with air and food!

-------------

Date Posted: December 12 2003 at 9:57pm

I see it, but Mark doesn't.  Mark, do you know what I see?  I see us actually agreeing on this but you don't know it yet.  So that we don't have to type four more pages of posts, I'll speed up the conversation here, and you tell me where I go wrong...

Adam- So Mark you agree that some bacteria can just live in the water column, like your friend who cultures them said?
Mark- Yes Adam I do
Adam- so would you believe that sometimes the bacteria are outgroing the surface area of a filter pad and are actually growing on the food particles trapped in the pad?
Mark- yes that makes sense, they would grow there because there is food there.
Adam- So wouldn't it be safe to assume that bacteria would grow in the water pockets of the substrate, growing on the food particles there?
Mark- yep that makes sense.
Adam- So isn't it possible that larger substrate size may be better than smaller substrate size because it allows food particles to "fall through" better and end up lower in the substrate where bacteria can more easily grow and remove them?
Mark- Adam are you suggesting that larger substrate may really be better than smaller sizes?
Adam- Well wouldn't you agree that substrate size can be too small, I mean mud is very fine, but it doesn't allow anything to grow or move around in it because it is too small and dense. Therefore it doesn't have nearly the filtration abilities of the other substrates.
Mark- Yes Mud is too fine, but oolitic is perfect sized.  Of course oolitic with a layer of larger particles on top.
---Jake interjects--- Hold on Adam is full of "Crazy Talk" don't listen to Adam tell you about the bacteria in the water around the substrate, all that matters is substrate surface area.
Mark- Well, maybe Adam is right.  Just maybe larger particles allow food and detritis to settle further in the sand bed, and allows more bacteria to quickly consume it. 

Okay now somewhere in this conversation I must have made a mistake.  So tell me where this conversation would have taken a different course from the one I just told.

Thanks

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2003 at 6:10pm
I see your point, but like you said, another 4 pages of posts may still not get us to arrive at agreement.
But I love the discussion!

I don't think I want a lot of detritus falling between particles, down to the very bottom of a large particle DSB.
My suggestion to use a little Carib Sea on top of Oolitic came about because I found that in the absence of large particles, all detritus collected on top. it was unsightly and in my case resulted in a constant battle with cyano. But here I must confess, I just remembered something that I never put into the equation. That cyano was growing on only an inch or so of Oolitic! Sorry, I just wasn't thinking about that fact.

This leaves me thinking that if we combine both of our ideas and Jakes, and mix them with Ron Shimek's and so many others, then perhaps a combination could actually be the best for all occasions!

I don't know that for sure, but I do know that I hope that my vehicle runs smoother after lying on my back for almost an hour underneath it battling to replace the O2 Sensor! (actually the sensor was easy, reconnecting the leads was the hard part) That kind of repair probably takes pistonfister all of 3 minutes!

-------------

Date Posted: December 13 2003 at 9:59pm

Aahhhh, the mystery of bacteria. Don't you love it? I am not going to try and be the "expert" on this subject matter, but this tennis match is making me dizzy. I think that the point of "where do bacteria reside" has been overlooked again. I personally work with bacteria that resides in the water column. The bacteria that I work with may or may not be considered as "nitrifying" or "denitrifying". Either way, there is no substrate that our targeted bacteria require. However, something that must be said is that, and it has been touched on, if there is food present there is also bacteria present. I do not care how far down the food is in the substrate, if there is something to eat, there are bugs that will go after it and eat it! Also, bugs can spend their entire existance suspended in a water column. All sorts of bacteria too! I have never met a bug that would immediately sink in slightly moving water.

Additionally, adding water, sand, mud, filter squeezings, etc. to a new tank is a kick start to the bacterial population. It does two things, 1) it adds food for bacteria to consume and 2) there is already bacteria on that food who will also begin reproducing in the new tank. Those younguns will then begin to seek out food of their own if they can't belly up to the buffet. If there is no food present, the strain will begin to die off. And MARCUS, you don't need to see the food in/on the bioballs or whetever for it to be there. Trust me, it's there.

Summary: BUGS ARE EVERYWHERE! In your sand (not just the first 2 inches either), in the water, in the rock, on your fish, in your mouth, on your hands, in the air... I think I need to go shower now. I feel yucky...

-------------
In Syracuse

Date Posted: December 13 2003 at 10:38pm
Carl, I agree that bacteria is also on the bio-balls catching "food" as it goes by. I have never sided against that.
I am sticking to the words from the professor on this one, "The free floating bacteria probably are few in numbers and don't do a significant amount of nitrification or denitrification."
You guys have fun playing tennis.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net