Print Page | Close Window

yellow headed jaw fish tankmates

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Specialized Discussion
Forum Name: Fish
Forum Description: This is the place to ask questions about fish.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18698
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 2:45am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: yellow headed jaw fish tankmates
Posted By: gobie
Subject: yellow headed jaw fish tankmates
Date Posted: June 09 2007 at 2:15am

I just removed my bi color sudochromis from my 90 due to it being to aggressive towads my yellow headed jawfish and other tank mates . I was wondering if any one could suggest another colorfull fish that would get along with my jaw fish, as well as coral beauty, blue green chromis's scopas tang, true precula clown ,and neon gobie? My wife and I miss the color that the bi color added to the tank !Any suggestions are welcomed.Smile

-------------
135 with vhos

Replies:
Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: June 09 2007 at 8:30am
Orchid Dottyback (Fridmani) They do hide some but they are peaceful and as vibrant a color as you could hope for. Another good choice is a Midas Blenny. My Yellow headed jawfish, Orchid Dottyback and Midas Blenny did great together in my 120. Jawfish, Midas Blenny and Orchid Dottyback are my 3 favorite fish. My new tank was set up specificaly for these three.

Mike

-------------

Posted By: Kevin
Date Posted: June 09 2007 at 1:18pm
I have to disagree with the orchid dottyback.   Mine is meaner than anything. Anything new in the tank is sure to be picked on by it. Including -- a midas blenny -- A long nose hawk fish. Even my clown fish respect it (even though I don't think it has domanace over them.) I would only say an orchid would be ok if the jawfish was in first and had a home established. Then I think it would be ok.

Date Posted: June 09 2007 at 2:02pm
Kevin, are you sure it's an Orchid? It should have the dark stripe through the eye. The Strawberry, Purple, and Magenta are all semiaggressive but the Orchid is the most peaceful of the Dottybacks.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: June 09 2007 at 5:56pm

Thanks for the information Mike. Do you know if lyertail anthias and jawfish are compatible?Would I need a bigger tank than a 90 to house 3 plus my current live stock? If not I think that the orchid would be the most color full one Clap. But the midas is pretty impresive looking to.

ConfusedFISHGeek!

-------------
135 with vhos

Date Posted: June 09 2007 at 6:23pm

Yes they are compatible also Midas Blennys hang out with Orange Lyretail Anthias in the wild.

Would you need a bigger tank? Only if you need an excuse  to upgrade Big%20smile

Mike

-------------

Posted By: Kevin
Date Posted: June 11 2007 at 10:17am
Yes, I am almost positive it is the orchid. I will check to make sure when I get home today though. I wish it didn't have such a bad temperment because it is very pretty. I am strongly thinking of getting rid of it though so I could add more fish without the worry of the orchid stressing and killing them (he did that to the midas).

Posted By: kgwilliams
Date Posted: June 11 2007 at 9:47pm
I was once in the same situation!  I bought the bicolor because it was so bright and colorful and it was the meanest fish in the tank!  I chased him down for almost 2 hours before I caught him!  I now have a royal gamma, its very peaceful and has the same colors.  I would strongly recommend this fish!

-------------
75gal reef /sump/ref 150MH 2 96w CF
Perhaps I would be better at basket weaving. . . at least it would be cheaper!

Date Posted: June 11 2007 at 10:37pm
 Does the tank setup play much of a roll in the way fish get along in a tank ?Things like to much or not enough rock or ,or a 4' tank verses a 6'tank? Thanks for the response's!!!!Smile Mike Im always looking for way'sto get a bigger tank unfourtunatley my wife don't see eye to eye on the idea!Ouch

-------------
135 with vhos

Date Posted: June 11 2007 at 11:08pm
Yes it does. Orchid Dottybacks like to have places to hide as do Midas Blennys. (check my gallery for pictures) The smaller the tank the more aggressive behavior you will see from your fish. A 90 gallon tank is a great size.

Mike

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net