Print Page | Close Window

Future of the Club

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Suggestion Box/Recommendations
Forum Description: This is the place to submit recommendations to the WMAS presidency.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1884
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 7:17am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Future of the Club
Posted By: Adam Blundell
Subject: Future of the Club
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 8:49am

FISH FRIENDS

This may become a long post.  sorry. 
I would like to address a couple issues, and this may be premature.  I would rather tackle non-issues now, then look back a few months from now and wish we would have brought this up sooner. 

Way back when I was a wee little fellow this club was just beggining.  I remember showing up at meetings, and there may be 15 people.  Sometimes a big crowd of 25 showed up.  We often put our chairs in a circle as we discussed lighting, filtration, corals and whatever else.  Every month we debated two things 1- how do we get more members, 2- how can we get money.  Both items were a huge struggle. 

Thanks to the dedication and unbelievable amount of time spent by several club members the past 10 years has really done something to this club.  We have already sold 75 memberships for the 2004 year.  This is FANTASTIC!  However, it is possible that given our new growth (3 straight months of at least 12 new people) we may be getting too large.  Maybe?  I realize the upcoming summer months will undoubtedly slow our growth, but we need to start considering what to do if it doesn't stop.  It is certainly conceivable that we could double our size during this year!!!  (heaven forbid we actually become too popular)

IDEAS FOR THE NEW PRESIDENCY
1- Do nothing different.  Just stay with what has been going on.
2- Make the meetings more "nerdy" to scare away people.
3- Have Jon Finch lead a new Utah County Aquarium Society and divide into two clubs.
4- Find a permanant meeting location, much larger than the current location.
5- Have two seperate meetings going on at the same time.  One for begginers, and another meeting in the second room for the others.
6- Have both Thursday and Friday meetings, so that people can show up to either date, but hopefully not both.

Please share your thoughts, and your other ideas.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Replies:
Posted By: Richard L.
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 9:25am

I see no reason why "Branches/Regions/Divisions" should not be considered.  We have people posting from the East Coast for heaven sakes.  Maybe consideration should be given to the club name in this discussion- could/should "Wasatch" be removed?  On the other hand one characteristic, likely an intragal part of the club success is the personality and flavor of the current/past membership.  Fragmenting the club may adversly affect the character we now enjoy.  Included is the physical aspect of being able to be informal and personal in the discussions. 

I suggest a few "remote chapter" meetings be scheduled on a trial basis.  Maybe elect a  "South Chapter V-P", "Central Chapter V-P", and a "North Chapter V-P" with specific duties to encourage growth, host quarterly chapter meetings, etc. 

-------------
Richard
Alpine, UT

Posted By: tfowers
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 9:32am
I think beginners are a large section of new members and I think they're looking to the club for instruction. Another meeting for them I think would be appropriate, in another room. I think the older members are about swapping: ideas, frags, etc. I think this message board fulfills alot of the needs of the older group. I would still enjoy some of the amazing advanced presentations, but maybe the focus should shift to newer reefers. Success with that first tank determines if they're even going to be around later.

my 2 rupees
Tim

Posted By: Carl
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 11:04am

Good points from both Tim and Richard!

However, there are some salient points that need to be discussed in more detail. What is the true focus of the club? What are its objectives? Aside from the fundraising portion of the WMAS, the educational, social and awareness values. Now, would it benefit the club to break this apart into regional chapters? That is difficult to say since I do not know the geographical demographics. But I do fear that more "harm" than good may result.

It is too soon to make a determination to split into chapters or not. If the participation in the club sustains for certain duration, I would say fine. But, as of now I feel that it just adds diversity to the group. As well, seperate chapters would require seperate expense budgets to host meetings and there is generally a periodic large meeting of all of the Chapters which then gets expensive and chaotic.

Managing the masses would be a better managerial decision at this point of the game IMO. Offer a more structured meeting. Have several areas of interest going on simultaneously to break the meetings into smaller, more manageable crowds.

If anything, I think that whatever the final decision by the Presidency is will also place more responsibility upon them.

-------------
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 11:13am

I don't have the answers, but I don't like #3 .

I go to meetings(mostly) to actually see and talk with all you guys.  The presentations are usually secondary for me.  If we were to split up I would miss some of that.  Plus, the club is where it is today because of a handful of very dedicated people.  I'm not sure that same dedication would be present in the satellite groups (although maybe I'm wrong).  But if someone wants to hold a trial meeting in Utah county, I'll certainly attend.

I say continue as before and cross any bridges as they appear.  Try to get feedback from people attending the meetings as to how the club can be made better (this post included).  Kinda keep your finger on the pulse of the club.  I think the patient is currently very healthy.

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 12:38pm
The slang name for the WMAS is FNC (Fish Nerds Club). I'm not sure it's possible for the club to get any ier!   

I like what's behind door # 5. Possible scenario:
Spend the first part together, break for refreshments and then into two groups (beginners or advanced; tank setup or sps coral, etc.), and finish with the usual end of meeting social gathering and dinner.

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Posted By: ewaldsreef
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 1:18pm
I agree with John on this. I mainly go to the meetings to socialize with my geeky friends. I would personally hate to see the club divided up. Is there something I and or some of the more dedicated memebers can do to help? I am willing to help? I think that having a beginers group break off into a seperate room is not a bad idea. Also is a bigger meeting place nessisary? If it is not financialy possible maybe we could all pay a little more for the membership.

-------------
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Posted By: John Fletcher
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 1:26pm
I don't know if there would be enough envolvement in Utah County. It would be nice, but also there would be a lot missed. My work schedule has not allowed me to attend the meetings on Thursday or Friday. Maybe someday I will be able to attend once again.

I do like the idea of haveing two seperate meetings going on at the same time. One for begginers, and another meeting in the second room for anyone else.

Please keep thinks going the way they are, very informative, injoyable, and friendly.

Keep up the good work. I know it is a lot of hard work. One of these days I would like to help out more.

-------------
John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...

Posted By: Meeshi_ma
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 1:53pm

I'm not sure if this is exactly "on-topic", but I got lucky as a newbie (which I still am!) to meet Arjen and a couple of other people who have been sort of acting as "mentors" to me.  Here on the website I can read back to find answers to questions but I've really appreciated being able to ask someone in person a question and have them answer it.  Maybe in addition to other contemplated changes for the club we could have a couple of people post their phone numbers and volunteer to help newbies like this.

Just my $.02!

Brian

Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 2:19pm
Meeshi_ma, That's great to hear that DutchDude has been helpful to you.

I often talk with new hobbyists and have even been known to make house calls!
Mark
801-296-1563

-------------

Posted By: Beware
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 2:57pm
I like the idea of finding a larger location - and perhaps one farther south.    Also the slang term for WMAS in my family is the fish geeks club...Beware 

Posted By: rfoote
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 5:04pm
Farther south?  I was thinking farther North!

Posted By: rstruhs
Date Posted: February 13 2004 at 11:47pm

And I was thinking of farther West!

-------------
Rodney, Sandra, Jeffery, and Laura Struhs
South Jordan, Utah 98th South & 40th West.
(801) 282-2744

75 gallon reef
55 gallon reef
55 gallon FOWLR
20 gallon FOWLR

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: February 14 2004 at 7:06am
Rob and I have been members almost since conception. I remember
the intimate meetings we used to have!

#1: I kinda like that one, but if we outgrow our site now.....It seems
like finding a meeting spot is an issue we have periodically. And, I
don't think the membership dues we have now is excessive. I think
we could raise it if we need more funds for a larger site.

#2: Can we make the meetings MORE nerdy?

#3: I'd miss Jon...

#4: Is our spot now temporary? I think if we open both sides, maybe
buy more chairs.....

#5: I think thats a good idea, but would we run out of topics? Would
the newbie class be the same info every month? And if we had a
speaker, there would be just one meeting,right?

#6: This is a good idea. But can your marriage handle 2 all night fish
nerd gatherings? (Tell her I said Hi!)

Here's my ideas:
#7. Make the meetings for members! Guests can party in the parking
lot! In Steve's van!
#8. Increase membership fees. Utahns are kinda cheap and that will
slow our growth a bit...
#9: Have the women sit on their hubbies laps or shoulders, all the
kids play in the park! Make Marks table just a box in the corner.No
more chairs, standing room only. We could get a soapbox for Adam
to stand on...

Posted By: Weimers
Date Posted: February 14 2004 at 8:04am
As newbies, our first meeting was this January.  We wanted to check things out, because we're newly arrived in Utah.  The info and friendly atmosphere is what made us become members.  It's over an hour drive for us (we live in Ogden) and we both have to be to work Friday at 06:00.  Yes, we're a military family.  I think Suzy's #7 suggestion would hurt the club, because it makes WMAS much more unapproachable.  What if there were a "membership" charge for the message board, instead?  See what I mean - it makes things less friendly.  Has the club ever had "phases" of popularity & unpopularity?  Maybe this is a temporary thing.  I have a hard time with the idea of splitting the newbies from experienced, but that's just because I loved watching Marcus biting his tongue at the last meeting!!  Listening to the experienced people chat (on the msg bd & in person) is where we learn a lot.  If nothing esle, it shows us that there isn't "one way or the highway."  The meeting area seems large enough to accomodate change.  If there is anything we can do to help, we're ready & willing!  We've already offered to help cut frags in May.  In summary, is this a joining of friends, or a way of promoting this hobby, or what?

Date Posted: February 14 2004 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

...conception...
...intimate meetings...
...I'd miss Jon...
...marriage...
...all night...gatherings...
...party...In Steve's van!
...women sit on their hubbies laps...
This club is getting better and better

-------------

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: February 14 2004 at 9:12am
I agree with Weimers.  I say leave things how they are. If we run out of room, we'll jump off that bridge when we come to it.

-------------
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah

Posted By: sjlopez39
Date Posted: February 26 2004 at 8:54am
First of all I'd like to say, my van (which I like to refer to as "the fraggin waggin")is available for what ever club needs that may arise.

I would also like to suggest that some presentations be given in the form of dramatizions or skits. You know, people can roll play as the the tank holder who has to deal with an unwanted algae bloom and someone could be the helper helperton who well... helps. Every one could take turns being the victom and the helper.

This would require more people up in the front presenting and would allow more seating for those in attendance.

This post started out as a goof but the more I think about it, it sounds kinds fun. If the idea stinks then its solves the club population boom.

-------------
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve

Posted By: timothyuhl
Date Posted: February 26 2004 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I say leave things how they are. If we run out of room, we'll jump off that bridge wen we come to it.

Were you at the last meeting?  It looked to me like there were a lot of people standing.

Posted By: Judy
Date Posted: February 26 2004 at 4:14pm

Last meeting was my first.  I enjoyed hearing all the things the experienced members had to say.  What is the cost of the meeting place?  Can it be expanded into the other room?  Those who have the inclination could bring their own folding chair(s). 

Do you have by-laws, purpose etc.  I liked the meeting as it was and wa happy to see so many interested people here in the Valley.  The more members you have the more people to share in the work. 

I'm the President of the Sugarhouse Kiwanis Club.  We'd love to have this problem.  We need more helping hands because we are a service club serving the children of the community.

Judy

-------------
Judy

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: February 26 2004 at 7:02pm

Judy et al,

Thanks for all the comments.  Spilling over to two rooms and pulling out more chairs is the easy part.  It is leading two meetings that may be a problem.  Or still finding ways to keep the club friendly and full of discussion (as opposed to simple lectures) that are the problems.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net