Print Page | Close Window

Valentine's Banquet

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Suggestion Box/Recommendations
Forum Description: This is the place to submit recommendations to the WMAS presidency.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30798
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 2:37pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Valentine's Banquet
Posted By: cl2ysta1
Subject: Valentine's Banquet
Date Posted: January 14 2009 at 5:43pm
I've noticed that tickets are sold out for this.... and that maybe the reason this is capped is because of the location of our meetings. So what about the paid members who maybe want to hear Scott Michael speak, but didn't get a ticket in time ? Any chance of changing the meeting location so that all the members could come hear him speak or maybe having dinner and having him speak afterwards so that all the paid members can attend?

I have also noticed the parking and seating issues of the current meeting location. Perhaps its time we upgraded to somewhere that can accomodate our awesomely large group!

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Replies:
Posted By: thefu
Date Posted: January 14 2009 at 6:15pm
I concur, isn't there a school or church that we could move the event to?  I know this late notice is not ideal, but given the demand, it might be a good idea if possible.  I know that I missed out and so did my buddy Dave on getting tickets.

On the second issue above I also concur.  If these three meetings are any indication, at least for now, it looks like the club might be stretching the space.  Again, are there any schools or churches that might rent us their space?

I know that with the holiday meeting and the frag fest, there has been an uptick in membership. If these new members come to a meeting and they cannot get parking and have to walk a block in the snow and then come inside and the place is wall to wall people, I think this may affect the attrition rate of these new members.

Posted By: Cameron
Date Posted: January 14 2009 at 10:33pm
I am sure a church would to it for cheap to free.

-------------
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Posted By: Andreason
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:57am

There are hotels, libraries, armories, city centers, tons of places that could be possible sites. I think money is an issue for the club, perhaps we are prepaid for the year.

-------------
Andreason's

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:04am

The presidency would most certainly consider moving locations.  We've moved many times before and I'm sure we'll move again.  If anyone has a location in mind please send me the info.

Requirements-
1st Thursday of the month from 6pm to 10pm
Must allow us to bring in (and spill) water
Must allow food
Current rent is $50 per month
Easy Freeway Access
Seat 150 people
Two rooms is ideal, for things like Frag Swaps

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Current rent is $50 per month

LOL That shut me up!

-------------
Andreason's

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:33am
well with the growth in memberships we should be able to afford a little big more expensive space that will fit us all?

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:49am
Is there a growth in membership? I would be interested in seeing the growth and attrition numbers for the last 15 months.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:01pm
i counted 100 members on the paid members list. Currently. It seems it was a lot less last year?

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Posted By: Dion Richins
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:17pm
We ended with more than double that.

-------------
http://www.customaquariumfurniture.com" rel="nofollow - Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Posted By: ssilcox
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:54pm

Here is the problem with a bigger building (and the associated cost) - while we have huge, standing room only meetings in the winter - some summer meetings are lucky to get 40 people in attendance.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 12:57pm
is there a contract we sign yearly? maybe we can just have the bigger building for the busy meetings.. frag swap, valentines, etc etc.

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 1:56pm
Yearly? Yes.

Can you imagine the chaos of trying to guess which meeting needed to go to another building. as well as the cost, aggravation, people complaining due to them needing to go some where else, problems of them already being booked etc.

Just having to change a night at our current facility is a nightmare. They are booked for most of the year right off the bat.

I feel bad for any one that didn't get their tickets to the February meeting.

However it was publicized, warned about and in reality we don't know for sure how many will really want to come and "pay" to attend a meeting. We have discussed charging more, risking moving it to a larger facility. Praying that all of the tickets sold, and if we should even do this.

If there is this much desire next year then we definitely will have look at a larger seating area.

-------------
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 1:59pm
well i guess my other concern is that maybe people arent interested in the dinner but are interested in the speaker... ?

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:10pm
Well thats were the "wondering if we should even do this" comes in.

The whole reason for the banquet is NOT for the club members but for their spouses. Many of our members have spouses that do not come to the meeting because they either don't care or would rather not hear about skimate.
We have done this for the SPOUSES so that they can have a night to share with the club that isn't tank related.

I know its difficult to understand and it was a little crazy to try the first time but it was met with a good response. I believe this is just one more instance where its not possible to please every one all of the time.

Can you imagine if we booked a larger facility, booked more food and then didn't sell out? Can you imagine the backlash due to the club losing money over a meeting? Perks and all of the other BS aside. I would rather error on the side of safety and have a great meeting.

Maybe we ought to do this again later in the year, hold it at a Chuck a Rama or the likes. (people will complain about the restaurant chosen) Presell all of the tickets necessary to cover the expense. And if it didn't sell out cancel the meeting.

Is there enough desire to do that?

-------------

Posted By: jpiotrowski
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:27pm
A) My wife doesn't want to attend
B) I want to hear Scott
C) IMO I am being cheated out of a meeting

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:28pm
i understand the constraints on organizing events like this totally. I'm just trying to find a way to have enough room for everyone at meetings and get people who arent going to make it to dinner be able to see scott michael speak.

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by jpiotrowski jpiotrowski wrote:

Cheated? Seriously? Not sure if your status is accurate - but according to the site you arent even a paid member. Embarrassed ... Cheated??

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:33pm
I'm sorry you feel this way John. Unfortunately like I said We cant please everybody all of the time.

Crystall I under stand what your saying. However it is what it is. Would you be willing to try my suggestion for later in the year? Or is it just the speaker choice for this meeting? Would you be fickle about another meeting based just on the speaker?

-------------

Posted By: Debbles
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 2:37pm

A) My wife doesn't want to attend
B) I want to hear Scott

You don't HAVE to take your spouse  Adam clearly stated that more than once.  It was announced in Dec that everyone should get tickets early.  Adam announced it at the Jan meeting and on the board.  Everyone had the same chance to get tickets.  I was in the Presidency last year and didn't get to go because it sold out before I had the money to buy the tickets.   I even came close to not getting tickets this year. 

DebBig smile

-------------
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:05pm
Here is a good discussion:

Is it better to have not sold out and accomodated all, or year after year leave people out in the cold and "selling out".

Like I said before, we should:

1. Look at the membership pattern over the last 15 months
2. Understand the natural occurance of light meetings in the summer
3. Understand that if we think that 40-60% of the meetings will be near capacity of our current digs and we want to grow the club, then we had better work at finding a new location.
4. If club growth is not desired, then keep cramming people into the same space and those that do not enjoy that environment will not continue to attend and so goes the membership growth. Maybe this is not a problem for the club if a "tight-group" is happy keeping it cozy.
5. For the banquet, if we need a more expansive and expensive location, build it into the cost...maybe do a survey a few months prior as to what is a reasonable price people would pay for the event.

Oh, and just curious, what is the person-capacity for this event...in other words, how many tickets were there to sell?

Posted By: Will Spencer
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:06pm
We actually did get a room a couple years ago at the High School there by the Rose Garden.  When Julian Sprung came to speak we figured we would need a much larger room than usual.  We used their little theater that would seat about 200 people.  The cost of the room was VERY high compared to the Rose Garden House.  I believe it was over $300 for 3 hours with a penalty for using it more than 3 hours, plus we had to put an extra $200 cleaning deposit down, that was refunded afterward when we left the place clean. (Cleaner than the rest of the school by far if anyone remembers.)  We were not allowed to have any food, and certainly would not have been allowed to do anything with water.  To top it off we had nowhere near the attendance we expected and could easily have done it at the Rose Garden House. 

So, in the past the presidency has seriously discussed getting a bigger location and spent some time looking for places, but either the expense or the rules for the places we have found never seem to fit what we need.  We would love some suggestions that we could look into though if anyone knows of a possibility.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:07pm

Shane,

One of the many reasons I am no longer a paid member.

Dion,
That is a joke right? Holding it at Chuck's?

Deb,
Back in the day we had non-members pay $5 at the door.  I was so impressed to see some of these people that even as a member I still donated five at the door, but I could care less about the food, and won't pay $20 to see a speaker.  I just thought that maybe this meeting should be an extra meeting held on a different night so that we could still have a club meeting.

Posted By: Will Spencer
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:07pm
Adam, did we not expand this year by 20 tickets?

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:11pm
how many tickets have we sold Will?

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:12pm

Dion,
That is a joke right? Holding it at Chuck's?

I warned you some people wouldnt like the choice.(no matter what it was) we looked at all of these options last year.

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:32pm
We did increase the number of tickets this year, we sold 80 tickets. 

Last year we didn't sell out until right at the end.  I thought we were pushing it to sell out 80 tickets. 

I do like John's idea of holding the banquet on a separate night, so it is in addition to the regular meeting and not in place of a regular meeting.  Something we should consider next year.  But as was said, the purpose of this was to do something Fishy and special for the spouses.

Where were all these comments last year?  No one was upset for not making it last year and no one suggested we have it at a bigger location.  Heck Larry's wife hated it so much she told him she's never coming to another meeting (he bought one banquet ticket this year Embarrassed).

I'm thrilled to see this much response.  Maybe this is a sign of some very successful events to come for the rest of this year.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:42pm
And in defence of last year's presidency- they did consider all the things you are talking about.  They talked about cost, location, number of tickets, best speaker to get, best day of the week, raffle?, door prize?, meal choices. 

You may not like the results, but don't assume they didn't discuss all this before.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 3:56pm

This is why I said we should study the membership curves and see how they correlate to the past regarding new membership vs. attrition.  With 200+ club members, 40 pairs of tickets seems kinda low. But, I have nothing to compare that to since I have no idea what the club membership was in 12/2007.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 4:00pm

And in defence of last year's presidency- they did consider all the things you are talking about.  They talked about cost, location, number of tickets, best speaker to get, best day of the week, raffle?, door prize?, meal choices. 

You may not like the results, but don't assume they didn't discuss all this before.

Adam

Since I am in the survey and feedback business, I would suggest that for these types of things, a survey of the membership with a fixed set options might be a good way to go. Then, its the membership that is decides and the presidency is not seen as working in a vacuum from the membership as a whole.

This forum is a great way to get the input (just like the post-frag-fest input) post-event. If the presidency rolls that feedback into a set few options (that make sense based on their greater knowledge of whats possible), puts it to a vote, and then we at least have a consensus to fall back on and everyone knows there faction had a fair shake.

The technology is in place here, lets use it!

Posted By: Eventine
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 4:24pm
At this point in the year the membership isn't usually near 200 though.

-------------
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:12pm

I do like John's idea of holding the banquet on a separate night, so it is in addition to the regular meeting and not in place of a regular meeting.

If you're looking for opinions, I don't like that idea.  It can be hard to set aside a single night each month, setting aside two would be twice as hard.

It's sad and unfortunate that anyone gets left out.  Are you sure we can't fit more tables in the building?  You know, obstructed view behind the stage (erasing memories of that Dave Mathews Band concert...).

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Posted By: Shane H
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:17pm
Jon - funny you should mention an obstructed view. We considered using room 2 (where we currently set up the buffet line) for additional tables and using a video feed from room 1 to accomodate those people. It was eventually decided that those in room 2 would feel second rate. 

Again - it comes down to not be able to please all the people all the time.  If we try, we'll end up pleasing none of the people all the time. 

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:29pm
BTW, are you seriously suggesting opening up every decision to a vote of the club membership?  How slowly the wheels would turn ....   There were like 8 or 10 options for food from the caterer we chose for this event. Imagine if we polled all 100 plus members on those 10 options - consider price, consider popularity, consider messisness - I can't imagine we'd get anything done in this scenario.

Those who voted for me will have to trust that I will act in their best interests (and not in a vacuum). Running the club is already stressful enough without having to take a poll everytime we make a decision -like determining if we want paper or cloth napkins at the banquet.  (BTW, I encouraged cloth - lets class it up a bit).

I tend to agree with Adam that it is encouraging to see so much response. I just hope its to provide constructive critism and not to arm chair quarterback every move the presidency makes.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

BTW, are you seriously suggesting opening up every decision to a vote of the club membership?  How slowly the wheels would turn ....   There were like 8 or 10 options for food from the caterer we chose for this event. Imagine if we polled all 100 plus members on those 10 options - consider price, consider popularity, consider messisness - I can't imagine we'd get anything done in this scenario.

Those who voted for me will have to trust that I will act in their best interests (and not in a vacuum). Running the club is already stressful enough without having to take a poll everytime we make a decision -like determining if we want paper or cloth napkins at the banquet.  (BTW, I encouraged cloth - lets class it up a bit).

I tend to agree with Adam that it is encouraging to see so much response. I just hope its to provide constructive critism and not to arm chair quarterback every move the presidency makes.

Why provide napkins, just put tableclothes on every table. 

-------------

West Jordan

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:54pm
Hey, Where was I when napkins were being discussed?  Geeze...I get left out of everything.LOL

On a serious note...What if we opened up that second room and video feed into that room.  Only charge $10 and have it be for people that want to go but not eat dinner.  then we wouldn't even need to set up tables, just chairs facing the video.  Just a thought.......

DebBig smile

-------------

Posted By: dons
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 5:59pm
It's funny how many people come out now with an opinion yet don't want to serve on the presidency yet have so much to say about them and how things are done.  Having served on presidencies of other clubs for different hobbies and seeing how things have to be run, there is no way membership can be polled on every single issue that the club is faced with.  First off you need to remember that most of the presidency work full time jobs and have families, there just isn't time to devote all of their time to polling or for that matter worrying about those that didn't get tickets to the valentines banquet.

I didn't get tickets and yes I will miss a great club meeting but oh well maybe next time I will get the tickets quicker.  I think the presidency last year did a fantastic job and the new one is doing great as well.  There is no way everyone will be happy but that is just a fact that we all have to live with.

There is always things that can be improved and will most likely be changed.  I won't stop supporting the club because I didn't get to go to the banquet.

Just my .02

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Now you are being absurd so maybe I need to give you an example of how it would work.  Post this kind of poll in the members only area 3 months (or more) before the event...and again as the event gets closer:

We are planning our next Valentines Banquet for 2/6/2010.  We need to get an idea of how many people would attend such an event.  The dinner will be a nice catered buffet and we will have a top line speaker in reefkeeping<link to summary of last years event>. The cost will be $30.  Based on your feedback below we will determine how much space we need to obtain for the event, as well as the catering.

a.  I am definitely attending the event
b.  I will most likely attend the event
c.  Its 50-50 whether I will go or not
d.  I will not attend

From this you can establish the need using percentages for the above choices...for example 80/60/30/0 and from that you know your conservative numbers...do it again in on 11/1 and 12/1.

You don't think this would be beneficial in the planning process?  And this is just one example.

The absurd part of the post is that you think its one or the other...either post a poll down to the minutea for every club decision or no poll at all. How does any leadership know what their constituents want without getting feedback...and who could say that less feedback is better.  Its not about trust...you cannot read minds. And for major events such as frag-fests and banquets, getting organized feedback (survey or poll) from the club as a whole should not seem like a burden.

This is not arm-chair quarterbacking...it only seems so when those on the other side take a defensive position. I am super grateful who donate their time for efforts such as you and others on the presidency have for years. I feel I have done nothing so far but provide ideas...I don't think I have yet criticized anything done in the past - constructive or otherwise. Sorry if I have come across as somehow ungrateful. And, I realize I have no idea what it takes...

Lets look forward.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 6:21pm
I think if you asked me in November what I am doing on a weeknight if February I would tell you to ask me in February.

-------------

West Jordan

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 6:31pm
What about December? Do you RSVP to events/parties you are invited to?

Regardless, that could be one of the options (and calculated at 10%)...some people will know that they are going...some will not...the point is to get some idea...with enough time to know that you are on track or not so that you can make adjustments.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 7:20pm
If ya have to RSVP its usually too fancy for my liking Big smile

-------------

West Jordan

Posted By: Bluespotjawfish
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 7:53pm
"Buy tonight or you might be sorry!" 
"It sells out every year, expect it to again this year"
Learn from this so you aren't sorry about your decision.  Just buy early.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in coming if there were many more than 80 folks there.  I think it is a decent limit. 

What about putting tickets for sell on the store all year long.  Of course details would probably not be available all year, but this may help with planning and no one could say they didn't have a chance. 

-------------
Home of the baby Picasso!

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Bluespotjawfish Bluespotjawfish wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in coming if there were many more than 80 folks there.  I think it is a decent limit. 
I hope this is not the feeling of the presidency since given he fact that there are 200+ members it would seem a bit elitist. The presidency alone could easily consume more than 20% of the tickets just for themselves at the current 80 seat limit. If we want to be an all inclusive club, we should HOPE to get a 50% turnout which would mean 150-200 attending depending how many fly solo

What about putting tickets for sell on the store all year long.  Of course details would probably not be available all year, but this may help with planning and no one could say they didn't have a chance. 

This is an EXCELLENT idea!

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Bluespotjawfish Bluespotjawfish wrote:

Great  idea as long as they are non refundable. That way we would be guaranteed the funding. Also they would need to quit selling them about November so as to secure the meeting place and caterer.

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:18pm
Terence - sorry, I didn't mean to get defensive. Your comments caught me at a bad time - I had just heard work is shutting down 2 days per month through mid year. I hate when they tell me which days I will use my vacation!

Deb - the napkin discussion was for last year's banquet. The banquet committee hasn't brought it up yet! Or, maybe they have and a decision has been made .... Smile 

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:19pm
You know it really doesn't matter because someone will still wine and complain it wasn't fair to them. Very sad...

-------------

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:44pm
Just to clarify- I think we do a great job of getting feedback and suggestions.  Heck when I was pres before I was always starting posts asking for suggestions for topics, speakers, and whatever else. 
For the frag fest we had 12... yes TWELVE NON Presidency members show up to help frag the corals.  That was 4 times the number of presidency members we had!!!!
That was great!  We love getting everyone involved so don't think this is an elitist presidency thing.  As Deb mentioned some pres members didn't come last year to the banquet, and some aren't coming this year. 

We've actually had several people say that.

Adam

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Irish
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:17pm
It seems people are upset that they are missing Scott talk but not enough to have bought their banquet tickets before they sold out. The banquet didn't sell out at the January meeting (I sat and filled out the ticket information during the frag test and I know there were tickets left when the meeting was over) so it seems that everyone had the opportunity to purchase them. Scott Michael has spoken at this club on multiple occasions and I'm sure will be coming again in the future so I think that having him speak one time at a paid banquet meeting shouldn't be a huge issue. I think it's great that there is such an interest in this meeting, and if people are upset that they didn't get a ticket or the place is too small then I think it should show them that they need to purchase tickets earlier when they hear that it will sell out. I would also like to see club members look up meeting place information and catering information. Instead of assuming there is a better place I would like to see someone do the work and find one. Kudos to Deb and others that have spent time calling these places to find out what deals they have.

I would personally like to thank the presidency for throwing a nice meeting like this that spouses or friends can enjoy, it's nice to see so many people participating in a WMAS event even if this hobby isn't their passion.

-------------
IrishSis   "Tough times don't last, tough people do"

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:18pm
Thefu,
Extremley well put!  No we don't need to vote on napkins that is crazy talk, but a vote to see what club members are interested in is a totally different story.  No not everyone will be pleased but at least you will find out what the majority wants.  You could even sneak peak at what a good percentage of members want and go from there.  How is anyone to know what people want if they don't ask.
John
ps. To those of you who have kept this a civil discussion...thank you.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 9:47pm

My thanks as well.
Adam

-------------

Posted By: QuietOne
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

You know it really doesn't matter because someone will still wine and complain it wasn't fair to them. Very sad...
Originally posted by ssilcox ssilcox wrote:

Originally posted by jpiotrowski

Cheated? Seriously? Not sure if your status is accurate - but according to the site you arent even a paid member. Embarrassed ... Cheated??

why do a few long time members, even presidency members, try to run people out of this club. he clearly was not happy and showed it by not paying for a membership. but he still cares enough to post and yet you insult him. are you trying to make this a group of just your buddies, or are you really open to letting other people be a part. i know that i would not stick around if i were picked on like this.{hence the new name}

Originally posted by dons dons wrote:

It's funny how many people come out now with an opinion yet don't want to serve on the presidency yet have so much to say about them and how things are done. 

dont forget that there were people who were willing to be pres members and help, but were turned down. couldnt you use some of those people to help the presidency that 'doesn't seem to have the time to do new things', or even ask and see what the general group wants?

i mean if this club doesnt want change, that is fine, but i think that people will jsut continue to leave.

this dinner does seems to just be for the 'elite clique' kind of like middle school

why not have it another night so that there can be a regular meeting?

i dont want this to be a slam, i just want to point out that a few people seem to be at the center of  every fight on this board, and dons, i dont mean you. as for shane, i read through your posts and it seems that you think this club should never change. you seem to be the first person to shoot down any thought or comment. maybe just try doing like adam and saying, 'yes we will discuss this at the pres meetings' instead of, 'i already thought about that and it wont work.' just a thought, take it or leave it.

Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 11:49pm
I feel like I'm beginning to
spiral
down
the
drain...

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:07am
Never mind. Don't

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:09am
Want to

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:11am
Propagate the drama.

Pun intended LOL

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:46am
What I don't understand is why this meeting is all of a sudden such a big controversy. We have had it for years and the point is to have a nice dinner with a smaller group. Its not elitest cause anyone can buy tickets until they run out. We don't choose 80 people based on some popularity contest. If we made it a giant banquet it wouldn't be as personal.

-------------

West Jordan

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:54am
Originally posted by QuietOne QuietOne wrote:

Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Originally posted by jpiotrowski

why do a few long time members, even presidency members, try to run people out of this club. he clearly was not happy and showed it by not paying for a membership. but he still cares enough to post and yet you insult him. are you trying to make this a group of just your buddies, or are you really open to letting other people be a part. i know that i would not stick around if i were picked on like this.{hence the new name}

Originally posted by dons dons wrote:

It's funny how many people come out now with an opinion yet don't want to serve on the presidency yet have so much to say about them and how things are done. 

dont forget that there were people who were willing to be pres members and help, but were turned down. couldnt you use some of those people to help the presidency that 'doesn't seem to have the time to do new things', or even ask and see what the general group wants?

i mean if this club doesnt want change, that is fine, but i think that people will jsut continue to leave.

this dinner does seems to just be for the 'elite clique' kind of like middle school

why not have it another night so that there can be a regular meeting?

i dont want this to be a slam, i just want to point out that a few people seem to be at the center of  every fight on this board, and dons, i dont mean you. as for shane, i read through your posts and it seems that you think this club should never change. you seem to be the first person to shoot down any thought or comment. maybe just try doing like adam and saying, 'yes we will discuss this at the pres meetings' instead of, 'i already thought about that and it wont work.' just a thought, take it or leave it.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17878&FID=14&PR=3 - http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17878&FID=14&PR=3

Not to be an ass but the rules are one username. If you have a problem with someone at least confront them as you instead of hiding behind a fake persona. At least Shane is being honest about things.

-------------

West Jordan

Posted By: BobC63
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 1:14am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

I feel like I'm beginning to
spiral
down
the
drain...

I hear ya, Jon and this thread just went from "civil" to "annoying" real quick Angry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not claiming to speak for anyone other than myself - but I am going to speak - and I don't need to make up a new username to say my piece...

I don't have any tickets to the Valentines Banquet, either.
I don't have any tickets because I waited too long to get them.
Read that again.

It's not Adam's fault
It's not Shane's fault
It's not anybody in the Presidency's fault
It's not because there wasn't adequate notice at the meetings, or adequate notice on the Board
It's not because Adam and several others here didn't post a dozen times "...get yours quickly because they sell out fast..."
It's not because I didn't get to "vote" on holding it in a bigger place, or on a different day, or what food should be served, or what color the friggin' napkins should be!

And it's not because some "elite clique" wants to keep me out - or "cheat me out of a meeting"...or "run me out of their club" AngryAngryAngry 

And I know whose fault it is - it is MY fault.

And I accept that - and don't feel the need to place the blame anyhere else.

And I don't expect the Presidency to have to justify why they can't "change things" at the last minute just because I didn't take the advice, heed the warnings, etc and ended up left out.

- Bob

P.S. I apologize for adding to this totally uneccessary "drama" - but at least I did so under my real username...

-------------
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 1:43am
Well said.

Posted By: tazman1982
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 1:58am
very well said. and if anyone really is that upset then you can buy my tickets! PM me and pay the 40 like I did and they are yours!!

-------------
75 Reef
55 Reef

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 2:00am
Just because someone didn't buy tickets in time doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to go.

-------------

West Jordan

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 2:09am
I agree, but I will sacrafice so it will make someone else happy. he will be back and there will be another dinner, and if i die 2 days after the meeting, it made no difference if I was there or not. 
Don't sweat the petty **** and don't pet the sweaty ****.
I like this philosophy.

-------------
75 Reef
55 Reef

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 2:10am
S h ! t   is what that is supposed to say.

-------------
75 Reef
55 Reef

Posted By: Bluespotjawfish
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 8:05am
No comment about the poop from me Wink

Another idea for future events - Do an online auction of a few sets of tickets to the highest bidders. 

-------------
Home of the baby Picasso!

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 8:16am
Lorraine,
We considered doing an on-line contest of some sort and the prize would have been a pair of tickets. The idea was to get people excited for the banquet and insure we filled the house. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the tickets sold even quicker than expected!  I really like that idea and in hindsight,  we may have reserved a pair of tickets for this exact purpose. Great idea!

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 8:37am

Final post from me regarding the banquet venue ...

Please don't assume that I am against change.  Three years ago we discussed a new venue for club meetings quite a bit. I spent a lot of time calling hotels, community centers, schools and even a few churches (Deb just repeated that work it would seem). In the end, the Rose Garden was still the best choice (price, location, freedom, etc.)  so a non-decision was reached and we stayed put.  After the the Julian Sprung disaster, it became even more apparent what a good thing we have with the Rose Garden.  Unless absolutely necessary, I don't think we should part ways with such a deal. This decision was not based on being change adverse but being realistic. The suggestion has been researched, tried, and failed.

My reaction is not to the suggestions, but rather to the assumption that the presidency has not done the homework to make an educated decision about this. Also, the whole idea of the banquet was to change things up a bit, give meeting goers something different, a chance to bring their spouse and hear about the hobby from a different angle.  The banquet is itself -  a change!

Edited for spelling ...

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 9:26am
John, Please accept my apologize if you were offended about my Whining comment. It wasn't aimed at you. I'm not trying to run anybody out of the club in any way.

I was mearly commenting on the fact that no matter what happens in society in general. Some one is going to not like whats happening and will wine and complain. The quite one is a prime example of what I'm trying to get across.

As far as my post about going over it time and time again I thank Shane for his post. I should have explained it rather than generalizing my answerer.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 9:50am
Originally posted by Eventine Eventine wrote:

Just because someone didn't buy tickets in time doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to go.

this was the whole point i was trying to make. Some meembers would rather have dinner at olive garden than whatever is being served, but maybe they want to see scott michael. ... i had asked if he could either speak before or after dinner and anyone could come with or without a ticket. scott is a cool dude!

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 9:57am
Definitely something to consider next year. Or maybe we need a less polarizing speaker?

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 10:15am
I think Heil summed that up well.  Change is the only constant in this club.  We've continually taking suggestions and changing how we do everything.  Here is something you may not know, here are the places (that I can think of) where we've had our meetings:

Rose Garden House
Living Planet MFSI
Salt Lake Community College- Science Tech building
UofU Ballroom
UofU Den
Hogle Zoo
Seabase
Fish & Game offices
Pipe & Tube
Highland High
(and I'm sure we'll move again)

As always feel free to give suggestions.  I'm sorry if it looks like some people get defensive or offensive.  I think it is just tough to tell when someone is making suggestions and when someone is just complaining.  It looks to me like a lot of people have put much work into researching all sorts of club related things (meeting locations, costs, speakers) and they want people to know that they didn't just make a decision without knowing what they were doing.
And if you aren't sure if we've looked into something or tried something before... JUST ASK.  I'm happy to answer any questions.

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Jeff Morrill
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 10:33am

My thanks as well.
Adam
Im tryin hard..........WinkWinkWink

-------------
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 10:39am
ur doing good Jeff, Keep it up!

-------------
75 Reef
55 Reef

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 10:46am
Originally posted by cl2ysta1 cl2ysta1 wrote:

Originally posted by Eventine Eventine wrote:

this was the whole point i was trying to make. Some meembers would rather have dinner at olive garden than whatever is being served, but maybe they want to see scott michael. ... i had asked if he could either speak before or after dinner and anyone could come with or without a ticket. scott is a cool dude!

That wasn't your wholepoint. Your point seems to be that just because someone didn't buy tickets they should still be able to get in. I was saying someone who bought tickets in time shouldn't feel guilted into giving theirs up. Two totally different' things. If someone wants to come listen to him but not go to the banquet like they have said, they will probablly have him speak again.

-------------

West Jordan

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 10:54am
How about,
  Like Reef ball, This was the first meeting I/we were not abel to attend. Felt bad, My fault, Didnt whine or make a fake name and slam.
  Rhine actually video'd the meeting, Reproduced with captions and music ( very well done ) and offerd copies to ANYONE, for $20.00 (think that was the price).
  Guess who scooped one of them bad boys up??? You Know it!!
Would this be a possibility?? Could Anybody do this for the people that feel left out? Or for the people that would like a copy for whatever reason?
and who in the club would like to donate some skills to record, edit, produce etc..???
  May turn into a free meeting for you!!!! ( Perks shall find a way).Big smileBig smile 
  P.S.
I want red napkins with hearts. And a little umbrella in my noncarbonated drink. And ..... Little breath mints in the dish in the middle of the table, Shaped like starfish.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 10:57am
top that one^^^^^

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 10:59am
Jeff, thanks for not asking for mixed drinks......that would be uncomfortable......

-------------

Posted By: larhalli
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:03am
Jeff --  That is one of the better or maybe the best responses you have written in a while.  I like your idea of making a video and that may help those who just wanted to see and hear the speaker.

-------------
Larry Halliday

West Jordan

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:04am
Umbrella onlyLOL But I do need ice.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:06am
Ill look into it. We didn't sell many of the others made so we discontinued the option. If there is enough want I'm sure we could get it doneBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:06am
we shouldnt have to pay for the same speaker to come twice? think of the other speakers we could bring in

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:07am
Originally posted by larhalli larhalli wrote:

Jeff --  That is one of the better or maybe the best responses you have written in a while.  I like your idea of making a video and that may help those who just wanted to see and hear the speaker.
I think Its the solution, If The speaker will go for it, And Some one will donate the time and effort, It should be a positive thing.
 Just wondering, How many copies will be presold? And who is gonna make the list?

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:23am
Originally posted by Jeff Morrill Jeff Morrill wrote:

Just wondering, How many copies will be presold? And who is gonna make the list?
Create a site poll.

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:29am
O.K.,    This is your feild, but Ill give it a go.... How should I i post it , And what options should be on it.?

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:32am
You could just create a few copies and rather than sell them have them in the club library for loan (with deposit to ensure return of course). Assuming we have a club library? If not, lets get one!

-------------
Andreason's

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Andreason Andreason wrote:

Assuming we have a club library? If not, lets get one!

Now THAT - is a fun topic to discuss! LOL

We used to have one, but it was never used. I would love for the club to have a library.

Posted By: larhalli
Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:02pm

Originally posted by Andreason Andreason wrote:

Assuming we have a club library? If not, lets get one!

Now THAT - is a fun topic to discuss! LOL

We used to have one, but it was never used. I would love for the club to have a library.

I also think this is a great idea.  Where would it be kept so it would be convenient and available to all?  It would have to be run like a library or have some kind of accountability.  That librarian position could be a busy one.

-------------
Larry Halliday

West Jordan

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:09pm
Oh man do we really want to tackle the library issue again.LOL
Adam
ps- I'm glad it is gone, much less stress for me

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:31pm
Poll started, In  PAID MEMBERS   Thats where polls go.. no whining plz.

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 12:36pm
I would gladly keep the library at my house and keep track of who has what. However, I cannot attend Thursday meetings this whole year so that might be inconvenient for many. People would need to come to my house in Lehi to pick up/return stuff.

-------------
Andreason's

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 1:17pm
Re: Library.  http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4298&KW=library - http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4298&KW=library

Personally, I think the reasons for selling the library are very likely still valid.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 1:19pm
$20?  Wow that's some overhead!

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 1:39pm
BTW, what's more sad.
An individual posting under another username
or
An individual posting under another username because they don't feel comfortable posting due to backlash?

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 2:06pm
if you are afraid of backlash then you shouldn't say it. I will say what is on my mind and DON'T give a rats a.s.s if anybody likes it or not. thats why we are all diffrent,  not all like what I have to say and half of what you say someone else may not like. That is human nature. Thats why this board is good and bad. too many take things WAY to Serious. or mis-read.  that is the problem with Text msgs and chat sites. you have to type 50x's the amount you should have to to try and explain what was just said to get everyone to see it the way you ment it. there is a miss cue of emotions and words.
90% of the crap that goes on here IMO is a mis-read or wrong wording. and that inflairs some people and that is because they took it wrong!

-------------
75 Reef
55 Reef

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 2:18pm
I agree with 50% of thatLOL

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 3:05pm
Touche'  Smile

BTW, what's more sad.
An individual posting under another username
or
An individual posting under another username because they don't feel comfortable posting due to backlash?

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 4:52pm
soooo.. who's quiteone?

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 4:55pm
Jerry?

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 4:57pm
Maybe Suzy.........

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 4:57pm
Maybe its MEEEEEEEEEBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: January 16 2009 at 5:11pm

$20?  Wow that's some overhead!

They were $5.  Jeff didn't remember correctly.  You can do a search and find them.  We own 3 of the different ones that were sold.

DebBig smile

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net