Print Page | Close Window

Richie's 28Gallon JBJ NanoCube HQI build.

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Tank Threads
Forum Description: A place to show off your tank build.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30811
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 6:53am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Richie's 28Gallon JBJ NanoCube HQI build.
Posted By: Xacttech
Subject: Richie's 28Gallon JBJ NanoCube HQI build.
Date Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:15pm
Just set it up today... no water rock or sand yet :D

But figured I'd get the build started, and ask some questions.

Given the 3-stage (sponge, carbon, ceramic bio tubes) sumpless filtration system of the nano, what do you guys recommend for a sand bed?

I was thinking an inch of Crushed Coral, then a couple inches of Aragonite? Should I do more/less of anything?

I also plan on between 30 and 50lbs of Live rock, depending how I can stack it.

Any advice from successful sumpless small systems?

Thanks in advance!!

I'm sure I'll keep this thread full of images along the way.

Replies:
Posted By: Cameron
Date Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:24pm
I try to stay away from crushed coral because it can cut up your fish. I like the look and Function of a deeper sandbed. I would go 2-3" IMO

-------------
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Date Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:27pm
I only use crushed coral as a base layer to allow for more pockets of good nitrifying bacteria... but thanks for the heads up!!

Posted By: Cameron
Date Posted: January 14 2009 at 11:28pm
Good idea

-------------
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: January 15 2009 at 8:08am
I've always used crushed coral and have not had any cut fish or heard of any.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 7:08pm
About 40lbs of Live Rock
4" Deep Sand Bed (mix of crushed and aragonite)
1 Blue Damsel Smile

Front View:

Side View:

Still need to find the best settings for my point and shoot canon PowerShoot SD950 IS I welcome any pointers.

Posted By: Ryan Thompson
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 7:24pm
I would not use the ceramic bio tubes. They are another version of Bio-Balls. Also I would get a Hydor Koralia Nano for added circulation.

I have the 24 Gallon JBJ. That is what I have done to mine. 

Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 7:34pm
Do you use something in place of the bio balls, or just run without? Makes sense not to use them since I have so much rock. Also the new 28 Gallon JBJ nanos use 2 pumps, with 2 outlets and a wave maker, instead of the single unit that the 24's use. Do you still think I need a Koralia?

Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 8:02pm
I run without the bio tubes. In my rear chambers I have a DIY sponge thing. Here is the link to that:  http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30488 - http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30488

I don't know if that will work with yours but I love it for mine.

I still like the more flow in mine. If those alternate then you are only talking about your tank being turned over 10x an hour. It is up to you. I would recommend it still.

Posted By: Shane H
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 8:29pm
I left the sponge filter in my JBJ, but the second chamber is empty (houses a heater and the occasional carbon bag).

Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 8:45pm
The tank is looking good.

Mike

-------------

Posted By: dukester48
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 9:19pm
When I had mine set up I ditched the bio balls and tubes and added some rubble and carbon to the second chamber .  At one point I added a light and was growing macro back there at night time but that ended up causing heat issues.

Posted By: Underwater Monkey
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 9:59pm
i have sponge in first,... carbon bag, phos bag, and a bag of chaeto in second...heater in 3rd with dual chamber. I have a 150 aqua medic MH. and about 2 in aragonite, going to add another inch of sand soon.
I would like a koralia nano in mine. but the coral is growing fine so far.

-------------
55 gl Reef
24 gl nano Reef

copying what Eva does:
" I would love to come. Just let me know when and where." Saltybuck

Posted By: saltybuck
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 10:48pm
I just posted my version of the 3 chambers in the back...  
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30920

-------------
Mike

Posted By: Turbostud653
Date Posted: January 18 2009 at 10:48pm
love the rockrock.  I just have the stock filtration in my 24 gallon aquapod.  Mine is doing great.

-------------
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.

Date Posted: January 22 2009 at 9:40am
Tank Regressed a little :(

Looks like a couple pieces I added to the tank weren't entirely "cured" and were experiencing a little die off... Or the changes in parameters caused Die Off in my tank?? not entirely sure.

Tank has become very cloudy, and a couple patches on a couple rocks are getting the Die Off white film.

Tank Parameters still Show:
0 - nitrate
0 - nitrite
~300Kh - Alk
7.8 - PH

My test is showing 0 ammonia but I don't think it's  accurate, My test kit has expired so I don't trust it... (they do truly expire, don't they?)

Temperature: 79º-81º

Salinity: 1.025

As a Reminder I added, 1 Bag of Live sand, and 1 Bag of Aragonite, 35lbs total between the two, and approximately 50lbs of live rock, all of which I thought was cured... And 15 Gallons of live water from Dukesters tank, and 15 gallons of newly mixed RO/DI Instant Ocean.

I have a tank full of chitons, and Bristle Worms, I've noticed some are dying. My damsel doesn't seem distressed, but I'm worried it may have been too soon.

I've hooked up the skimmer, and It's pulling a good amount of Dark Thick Skimmate. (which I thought was interesting cause I only have the damsel in there pooping, but the new die  off must be causing it)

Advice?? 

I can't remember if I ever went through this phase when setting up tanks in the past.

Just wait it out? Water Change this weekend? (at the one week mark) If so, how much? Also what about Photo Period if my tank is acting like this?

I'll go pick up a fresh Ammonia kit this evening, and recheck.

Thanks for any advice, I'll also post a picture tonight.

Posted By: saltybuck
Date Posted: January 22 2009 at 10:26am
It might only be a temporary solution, but I would do a water change right away.  
Good luck!

-------------
Mike

Posted By: dukester48
Date Posted: January 22 2009 at 10:59am
I would have to say.... ABORT!!! Throw everything out and give up.  That is your safest bet. 

I find it strange that your nitrates are measuring at zero because the tank that the 15 of the gallons came from is always on the higher side as far as nitrates are concerned.  I wouldnt do an immediate water change..., I would give it a couple days.

Date Posted: January 22 2009 at 5:09pm
Definitely reading 0 on nitrates using brand new testing supplies... however, there may be some low level nitrates.

I guess the 50% addition of fresh water would cut your nitrates in half, so if you had 10ppm, this would make it ~5ppm and perhaps that doesn't register on a broad level nitrate test.

???

I'm no expert (OBVIOUSLY)...   I'm sure I just need to let it do its thing for ~10 days, I just feel bad for the dead chitons... And by them dying they increase my die off, so ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates may go up... 

Blech! Smile

Anyone else want to chime in, on my premature worries Big smile

Date Posted: January 22 2009 at 7:05pm
Just got home from work... Dead Chitons, and Bristleworms all over... Yay... Sponge that was on the live rock has now turned to the white stringy film stuffs... 

I forgot the sponge wasn't supposed to be exposed to air... 

I'm sure my damsel will go any day, unless someone wants to rescue a damsel in distress... 

Wait out the storm?? (I'm assuming) Looks like 3-4 weeks out instead of 1-2 that I originally thought :(

I feel bad with all the inverts dying... 

I really thought I was going to be up and running in no time.

Posted By: Humuhumu
Date Posted: January 23 2009 at 12:13pm
On my 12 gal, I only have a sponge and carbon filter. No bio-balls. With as much live rock as I have and you have (over 1lb per gal) the bio-balls can take away from the live rock's job from what I've been told multipul times.

Date Posted: January 23 2009 at 3:31pm
Forgot to mention I removed my bio balls, left t he sponge and added more carbon... I have 50#'s of live rock, so I should be getting plenty of filtration... just now I"m getting die off... so I guess I'll just have to wait out the storm.

Date Posted: January 26 2009 at 9:47am
Clap

Tank is absolutely crystal clear now... I guess it was a mini cycle after all. It's more clear than it was the day after I set it up.

Unfortunately most of my Chitons did die, and still have die off film on them, as did my sponge. Damsel is doing great, no rapid breathing or any ill symptoms.

I haven't done a water change and will give it another week.

End of the week I'll probably start slooowly stocking it :) Very excited.

Date Posted: January 27 2009 at 7:45pm
Today I'm getting a major Diatomaceous algae bloom... Any advice?? 

Date Posted: January 27 2009 at 9:21pm
That is great! Things are going just as they should. My advice right now it patience. Once you start getting green algae you can start adding a clean up crew then a few corals then slowly add live stock over a few weeks time.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2009 at 9:16am
Thanks Mike!!

I thought I remembered this happening in my first tank... 

Should I water change at all before the green algae?

Date Posted: January 28 2009 at 12:23pm
Some people say yes, others say no. Take your pick. On a small tank I probably would go for the water change.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: February 01 2009 at 1:44pm
Did a 5 gallon water change, and cleaned the glass... Diatoms almost gone, spots of green coming in. Clean up crew ordered, will be here first of the week.

Added 2 tank raised, tiny maroon clowns, that stay together all the time.

Water Crystal clear, no signs of chitons surviving the cycle :( but I do have a bit of pods, and feather dusters.

:)

Date Posted: February 05 2009 at 8:19pm
Alright...  Micro bubbles from hell coming from the skimmer... (the one that comes with the nano) It has it's own baffle, and is separated from the pump that goes back into the tank, but no matter what the water level, and no matter how high (dry) I skim, the bubbles still find their way.

Suggestions??

I was thinking putting a bunch of filter floss around the pump may act as a bubble trap, but it'll probably slow the pump a bit, and I'll have to change the floss fairly often.

I know bubbles can cause issues for corals in the future so I'd like to get the issue taken care of before I get the tank too stocked...

Tank is looking Killer aside from the bubbles... Crystal clear, and even some new coraline algae... unless I'm crazy... 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Date Posted: February 09 2009 at 9:21am
Tank is still basically empty, but I have added some zoas, palys and mushies...

a few polyps of Orange Envy, Some BLue and Purples, some true Yellows, RPEs, some mixes of greens, blues and pinks. Some simple purple mushrooms with blue dots on them, and a superman monti. Hope to get some Frogspawn this week, and a couple other LPS. Pictures tonight.

Richie

Date Posted: February 10 2009 at 8:20pm
Update with Images!!!

Date Posted: February 10 2009 at 8:34pm
Very nice. Those zoas are sweet!

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: February 11 2009 at 9:20am
Thanks!

The nano HQI has 3 chambers in the back:
|oU|   | o| <- Like that the "o" being return pumps back to the main tank, the U being a skimmer. I am thinking of putting cheatomorpha in the middle chamber, and move my carbon to the chambers with the  return pumps.

Would there be any issues with doing that?? 

Date Posted: February 11 2009 at 5:45pm
Will that give you any flow through the area with the skimmer and through the area with the chaeto? If so then it should work fine.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: February 12 2009 at 8:02pm
That's where all the flow comes from, since the new nanos have a center overflow, with two side returns...

==

I just added 2 Koralia Nanos hooked to a wave maker... Very nice flow... Probably going to upgrade my two factory return pumps to Maxi Jet 1200s, then I'll have a ton of circulation going through the back, and even more flow... Things are lookin' good, Water change this weekend.

Levels pretty good, but nitrates at about 20ppm

Date Posted: February 12 2009 at 8:19pm
If you are growing macro in the back then you don't want more flow through the back. If I was going to replace the pumps I would consider the MJ900. It is less watts so less heat transfered to the tank.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 9:14am
Picking up some Chaeto in the next day or so...

Picked up a bunch more frags from Jared this weekend (Watermelons, Bright Orange Palys, and Tangerine Dreams, as well as an orange rhodactics)

Ordered Radium Bulb as well, It'll be here today :D, I'll take before and afters...

Date Posted: February 18 2009 at 10:56am
I look forward to seeing those pictures!

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: February 19 2009 at 9:52am
took pics haven't pulled them...

Honestly not as dramatic an effect as I thought it was going to be. I was hoping the Radium would be more Bluish/Purple and it's a very subtle blue, where the stock 14K has a little more white/purple cast.

Granted the Radium isn't broken in.

I was really expecting that with the Radium I'd need some 10K PC supplements, but I'm going to add actinic supplements to make the corals a bit more colorful.  Can't argue with the growth rate, and coloring of corals under the radium bulbs (I've read), but for plain aesthetic the stock JBJ isn't far off. 

Pictures coming soon :)

Date Posted: March 15 2009 at 9:20pm
Been a month I know Wink

In that month I've added about 10 more varieties of Zoas/Paly's Had a bit of growth, added a few different SPS, slight rework of rock, changed the back to a refugium, and just purchased a reef keeper. Wheew...

I eliminated the stock skimmer, it basically stopped working all together... Figure I'll get a Tunze nano skimmer in the future, but for now I don't feel I need one, I only have 2 small fish, and I only feed every few days. No signs of nuisance algae and my nitrates are down to >5. 

I just bought a canon 40D so I will have some decent pictures soon.

Date Posted: March 16 2009 at 9:49am
Thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing those pictures.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 8:13pm
Lonely Dreamweaver

Just some zoa's

more

Ked Reds

Some kind of PE with purple tips on the skirts

Nice Blues, and some RGNs

Bright Purple Deaths, 7 on this little colony, and a solitary Red something or other

FTS... Probably should have cropped oh well... (I'll do that next)

Side tank shot

Look down angle front

All shots taken straight from camera with auto white balance... didn't have a chance to clean them up :D

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 8:19pm
New FTS

Date Posted: April 16 2009 at 8:38pm
You have some beautiful pieces. I like the rock work too.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 10:06am
Thanks!... It's hard to have patience to let things grow... Aside from the digitata and the superman monti, everything grows SLOW!! I figure 6 months from now things should be really looking good..

I have about ~50 varieties of zoas/palys 3 capricornis, 2 digitata, 1 superman monti, 1 millepora, 1 stylophora, 1 birdsnest, 2  acans, huge purple tip bright green frogspawn (in need of fragging), Indonesian  blue clove polyps, nuclear green candy coral, 3 different color ricordea florida, 2 green yumas, a Superman rhodactis, a few superman mushrooms (purple with blue dots) Think that's it...

No fish right now... HA! the Damsel that killed my two maroons is in the refugium. I'm not sure what fish I want, I'm' thinking a spotted mandarin (I have soooo many pods) and a pair of clowns, and not much more, Don't really want a large bioload.

Fun Fun!

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 1:00pm
Be careful with spotted mandarin. I had one in my nano and thought I had a lot of pods. It totally devoured them all within a month and eventually died. It would even eat prepared food but it still wasn't enough in the endCry

I think you would like a firefish. I have one in mine and it is awesome. Really colorful and very peaceful.

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 1:10pm
Thanks for the heads up... I think it's a YMMV deal... I'll see how it goes, and if things aren't looking great then I'll take it back to the petstore or give it to someone on here... they're just such fun fish to watch.

I like firefish too, but a wrasse and a firefish may not get along, and I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a wrasse... Who knows... :D

Date Posted: April 17 2009 at 1:14pm
I love spotted mandarins. I am hoping my 40 will be big enough for one. It was my favorite fish of all time.

I don't think you will have problems with a  wrasse and firefish. My flasher wrasse was calm as could be. It got some infection and died overnight. White cotton ball grew on his head? I have had terrible luck fish in my tank. Corals are very easy for some reason.

Date Posted: March 27 2010 at 4:01pm
Tank is for sale in the For sale section.

Tank has matured nicely... I did loose a lot of the good pieces from this thread :( tank just wasn't mature enough, and when I had my Kalk incident... well that sealed the fate of some specimens. Over all the tank is doing great though.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net