Print Page | Close Window

Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Tank Threads
Forum Description: A place to show off your tank build.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33094
Printed Date: April 20 2024 at 12:25am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension
Posted By: downhill_biker
Subject: Downhill's 200g Starfire Marineland Deep Dimension
Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:15pm
I may be jumping the gun a little here, but I am going to start my build thread. I picked up the tank and overflows today and just was too excited to wait to start the build. I also picked up my lighting, and skimmer recently, so it is just a matter of moving it all to a new state, building a stand/canopy, and getting it all running.

Thanks to Jason "SULLY" at Coral Reef Pet Center in Salem, OR for getting me the tank, overflows, reflectors, and MH sockets.

Here is the beauty, Marineland Deep Dimension 200g Starfire tank. 4' long x 3' wide x 27" tall.

Starfire Glass: I dont know how much of a difference I can see now, but hopefully it makes a big difference once I get it up and running.

Corner overflow assembly and return.

-------------
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.

Replies:
Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:17pm
Sunlight Supply Lumenmax Reflectors. These are the big ones, 22.5" x 22.5"

Installing the sockets is pretty easy. Using 4 wing nuts they bolt right up to the reflector.

-------------

Posted By: MadReefer
Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:19pm
Very cool. That is a great tank size. It should be a lot of fun.

Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:20pm
The skimmer being used for this build will be my Aqua Euro 265. The skimmer has 2 circulation needle wheels, and a Sedra 9000 mesh mod feeding it. I dont think I will do the mesh mod again, I just don't think it helps enough to merit the wear it puts on the pump. The needle wheel works pretty well stock.

-------------

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 8:42pm
Sweet!

Mike

-------------

Posted By: cl2ysta1
Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:09pm
awesome. This is pretty much the same dimensions as our acrylic cube. It is awesome room to work with

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:19pm
thanks.

cl2ysta1: would you mind sharing the exact dimensions of your tank and how you lit it? i am worried about shadows in my tank.

-------------

Posted By: john hill
Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:28pm
i would love a 3 foot front to back tank that is going to be sweet

-------------
out with the large and in with the nano

Posted By: Eve
Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 10:54pm
Woah... Nice tank! Gunna be awesome all set up.

Date Posted: May 06 2009 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

thanks.

cl2ysta1: would you mind sharing the exact dimensions of your tank and how you lit it? i am worried about shadows in my tank.

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22653&PN=1 - http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22653&PN=1

all the info is in there

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:09am
Originally posted by cl2ysta1 cl2ysta1 wrote:

thanks.

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22653&PN=1 - http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22653&PN=1

all the info is in there

i love the build thread. kinda funny that you went from a 72 bowfront to your big tank, and that is what i am doing. i love the frag tank too.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 11:56am
I have been looking into stand designs and really like this one. It has the right amount of trim, while still being clean and modern. I probably wont do the doors with as much trim work, but the stand is nice.

THE PROBLEM IS...I am only going to be in Utah for 3 years, then I will be moving to Idaho and dont know if it is possible to make a stand that I can take apart, or if this is just something I will have to sell or throw away. There's no way it's going to fit through a door in one piece.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:00pm
Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.reeftime.com/diy-reef-projects/diy-aquarium-stands/build-diy-aquarium-stand/7.htm

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:43pm
http://www.reeftime.com/diy-reef-projects/diy-aquarium-stands/build-diy-aquarium-stand/7.htm - http://www.reeftime.com/diy-reef-projects/diy-aquarium-stands/build-diy-aquarium-stand/7.htm

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 12:45pm
I like a stand that is more open on the front and also has doors on the ends so I can work underneath easier.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 1:01pm
I want the ends to be removable as well. I probably will use a magnetic panel on the end so that it is easily removable. In the front I plan to do 2 doors, and match with 2 doors on the canopy. Simple and clean is the look I want. I intend to stain it black, so that you can still see some wood grain, but it is mostly black. I will then seal it with some kind of clear coat. I am still trying to figure out how to make it movable though. How to build it to be able to disassemble later...

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 5:41pm
I think I solved the problem. I will make the stand in two pieces. I will have 2 halves that are 2'x3'x40" that way they will fit through a door, and still are strong structurally. the front skin will be removable, and the sides will be on permenantly. i will use 3/8" bolts with through holes, washers, and nuts to fasten it all together.

sorry the pic isn't perfect, i used microsoft paint to draw it up. if i was using autocad it would have been much better and to scale. the blue sides are similar, and the red sides are similar. all together will take more wood, but it will be worth it in the long run.

-------------

Date Posted: May 07 2009 at 7:55pm
our metal one for the big tank comes apart. It has bars inbetween the top and bottom that slide into it... otherwise we would have the same issue you are looking at

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: May 08 2009 at 3:55pm
yeah, i almost didn't think about that. would have been a mistake. hopefully the stand for my 72 bowfront fits out the door. i kindof built it on my deck, and haven't tried the front door where there is a tight corner and stairs immediately following. this 200g build is going to be thought out thoroughly before anything goes together. i want no major mishaps.

-------------

Posted By: sanddune600
Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 12:35am
nice what are you planning on using for flow

-------------
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 12:59am
sanddune600: i am planning to use (4) koralia 4's mounted on the back wall and pointing forward. i hope that will be enough, if not i have a seio 1500 and a seio 2600. i also will have the return pump, which i am not sure of size yet, but will be around 1000-1400GPH after head loss.

-------------

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 1:23am
29x turnover should be plenty look forward to seeing it running

-------------
Andy Jorgensen

Date Posted: May 10 2009 at 11:37am
29x will be the minimum. if i have to use the seio pumps that would bump it up quite a bit, and of course if needed i can use all of them and get around 50x...Nuke

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2009 at 10:37am
I was wondering if you Utah folk use chillers, or "have to" use chillers. My new duplex has central air, so I shouldn't need it right?

Also am looking for a controller for this system. If you have one, let me know what it is, what it comes with, how old it is, and how much you want. Internet connection would be nice, but not necessary.

-------------

Posted By: tazman1982
Date Posted: May 13 2009 at 10:55am

I was wondering if you Utah folk use chillers, or "have to" use chillers. My new duplex has central air, so I shouldn't need it right?

Also am looking for a controller for this system. If you have one, let me know what it is, what it comes with, how old it is, and how much you want. Internet connection would be nice, but not necessary.

Depends on how much u want to run ur AC... Most of us run little 10 dollar cheap fans from wally world, k-mart, target, stuff like that. to blow across the surface and lights to keep things cool.
this is my setup.

-------------
75 Reef
55 Reef

Posted By: Nick801
Date Posted: May 13 2009 at 11:01am
I haven't seen too many tanks with chillers set up in Utah.... at least not in club members houses anyway...  a few pet stores do have them on there systems though.... but yeah just fans will get you by

also as far as controllers....
(hopefully this link will help soon... to help you choice which controller you want)
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33207&PID=298385#298385 - http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33207&PID=298385#298385  

-------------
http://www.reefinsanity.com" rel="nofollow - www.ReefInsanity.com
http://www.facebook.com/ReefInsanity" rel="nofollow - www.Facebook.com/ReefInsanity
801-680-4676

Date Posted: May 13 2009 at 5:29pm
there are quite a few people who use them down here in southern utah. I dont like the extra moisture in the air so i just use fans and open the window next to the tank (we have a swamp cooler)

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: May 13 2009 at 5:36pm
oh and we have ours set up with the controller to only run when a temp reaches a certain point

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: May 13 2009 at 7:47pm
Thanks everyone. I was hoping that I didn't have to buy another piece of equipment. Chillers are expensive both in cost and to run. I have fans now on the display and on the sump. The new system, which is going to be tied in with the 72 frag tank will be set up partially underground. The sump and frag tank will be in the basement, and the display up in the living room. That should help with cooling as well, not to mention I can use the controller to run a big fan downstairs since noise and space wont be as much of an issue down there.

The only concern here is going to be what return pump to get. I have to measure the head loss, and after that I will try to find a pump. I dont need a fancy one, just something fairly inexpensive, but reliable, and fairly efficient. Basically I really dont want to spend $300 on a Sequence Dart, when I can use something else that will work just fine...but that is to be determined.

Thanks again for cooling info everyone.

-------------

Posted By: jonafriendj
Date Posted: May 14 2009 at 12:34pm
What an awesome setup!  I can't wait to see some pictures of it up and running!

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Posted By: Andreason
Date Posted: May 15 2009 at 6:24pm
We also do the fan thing, and our icemaker is RO/DI as well so we can always put ice cubes in the sump. We do have a few days a year that our tanks struggle to stay cool, but on those days we add yet another fan and turn off the lights and we have been ok. We don't have central air, we have a swamp cooler so I bet you will be sitting pretty. I think worse case scenario would be a power outage on a hot day. We would be in serious trouble then.

Do you have Saturday all figured out? I wanted to try to come help but the day is just packed! We could help on Sunday if you need it though.

-------------
Andreason's

Date Posted: May 19 2009 at 7:18pm
Thanks everyone. Tanks are home and set up. I am now in SLC and glad to be here. I lost quite a bit of livestock including all but one of my fish, and many corals. Lost 2 oregon torts, california tort, pokerstar monti, rainbow monti, chilli pepper monti, sunset monti, reverse sunset monti, all birdsnest, and more.Cry

I honestly thought I was going to have 100% or close to 100% success. The power inverter we were using to run the heater went out and the temp dropped to below 60 degrees.Nuke

Really sucks, was pretty upset, but now am just moving on. I hate losing stuff I care so much about, but there is no sense in dwelling over it.

My next step in this build is the stand. I am planning on building the framework as pictured above, and will be skirting with plywood and trim. I want it to be basic trim with nothing too fancy.

I am looking for someone with woodworking tools like a table saw for plywood, and miter saw for trim, that might be willing to help me with this. I have all the other tools needed. I basically just need some parts cut, but if someone wants to help through the whole thing that is cool too. I have to wait a few weeks/month to start as money is tight after the move. I am willing to pay in cash or coral/equipment/drygoods.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2009 at 12:00am
got most of the 2x4 frame built. i am thinking i probably wont sheet it with plywood, since i will only be in utah for 3 years. i just dont want to put all the effort an money into it and then have to tear it down so quickly. i will most likely use black material to cover the stand and canopy. i know, sounds cheesy, but i just dont think sheeting is the right thing to do; wont ever go back together the same after moving.

i was also wondering what people's opinions are on heaters. what size should i get for this size tank. heaters for big tanks are new to me. i was thinking 500w or 800w titanium, but dont know. i will probably go with cheap brand like odyssea since it will be controlled by my controller anyways.

-------------

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: May 29 2009 at 8:24am
I haven't had to use a heater in years.  Before you rush out and buy one I'd fill the tank and watch the temp for a few days.  More likely you'll need fans to keep it cool and nothing to keep it warm.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Date Posted: May 29 2009 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

I haven't had to use a heater in years.  Before you rush out and buy one I'd fill the tank and watch the temp for a few days.  More likely you'll need fans to keep it cool and nothing to keep it warm.

Adam

even with the sump and frag tank (which will both be in same system) being in the basement? the basement will probably get colder than the house in the winter.

-------------

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: May 29 2009 at 10:36am
Tough to say.  My basement tanks would need heaters if they were lit with pc's.  But if I had halides on them I didn't need heaters. 
Keeping an eye on it for the first year as the seasons change will probably be your best bet.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Date Posted: May 29 2009 at 10:48am
what i will probably do is just buy one, they aren't too much, and then if i need it great, if not, i will still have it when i move to north idaho, and will need it for sure. but i will keep an eye on it as you recommend.

-------------

Date Posted: May 29 2009 at 9:35pm
So here is the stand's frame. I will go ahead and set the tank up on top tomorrow or Sunday. I need to get the back of the tank painted first. I will just use krylon fusion on the back and sides where the overflows are.

Front View:

Overall Pic with Location:
(I really wanted to be able to see 3 sides, but it just wasn't going to work with the place we are in now. This will due for the next few years.

You can fit a yeti in a box:

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2009 at 12:40am
looks like your on track just get that DUDEvil Smile out of the way in the last pic and you have a nice stand

-------------
Andy Jorgensen

Date Posted: May 30 2009 at 12:49am

Adam

may never really need one but it is cheap compared to alot of things in this hobby

on what size to run I recommend 2 300watts or 2 250watts then if one goes bad and stays on without shuting off you arent heating the water as much or if it goes bad and wont turn on you have a backup

-------------
Andy Jorgensen

Posted By: jmorrell
Date Posted: June 02 2009 at 11:51am
the dimensions on this tank are awesome.

Date Posted: June 02 2009 at 1:37pm
i think i figured out the heaters. i will go with a 800w titanium. if i dont need it, fine, but if i do, it will be there. i am only going with one so big because it is for the 200g, the 72g, a 100g sump, and 30g fuge. i know the lights will most likely do fine, but in the winter, and having tank/sump/fuge in the basement, i just want to be safe.

jmorrell: i love the tank dimensions too. i think that it is "cube-like" dimensions, without being a perfect cube. i just didn't want to have to light something 4' deep, and 36" seems kindof small to me. i really like everything about the tank, except the silicone job is kindof bad in some spots.

-------------

Date Posted: June 02 2009 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by sanddune600 sanddune600 wrote:

Adam

may never really need one but it is cheap compared to alot of things in this hobby

on what size to run I recommend 2 300watts or 2 250watts then if one goes bad and stays on without shuting off you arent heating the water as much or if it goes bad and wont turn on you have a backup

i second that

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Posted By: chk4tix
Date Posted: June 02 2009 at 4:27pm
I guess i will add my input on the heaters factor for the tank. My system consists of a 120g display and a 75g frag and a 40g sump. The sump and frag tank are located in the basement and the return is a iwaki 70 pump.  up until a month ago, I ran 2 x250w mh on the display (now switched to t5's) and I have 2 x 150w mh on the frag tank.  With this system, I still needed to use heaters to keep my tank at proper temp levels. (in the winter)  For this I use 3 - 250w heaters. I could just use 1 or 2 but I like the redundency just incase. I had a 500w titanium heater for a while but I got worried about it sticking and frying the fish.  I run all of them off a my ACIII and with a fan, I keep my tank within 1 degree year round. 

-------------
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Date Posted: June 02 2009 at 5:52pm
thanks for all the input everyone.

chk4tix: why would you worry about the titanium heater sticking if it was on a controller? wouldn't the controller turn off all power to the heater at the plug?

also would like to update:

my corals are doing great, much better than i had originally thought. i have small "flecks" of pieces that i thought were completely dead. 1/8" of coral that hopefully will grow back and save my colony.

some of the pieces that have 1/8" to 1/4" left that i thought were dead are:
sunset monti
pokerstar monti
oregon tort
california tort
tyree war coral favia
morningstar monti
radioactive monti
chilli pepper monti
ora green birdsnest

there are probably more, but you get the idea. i thought these were completely dead, and am SO EXCITED that they are alive! thanks again to Greg (Pinner Reef) and Fish 4 U for saving my corals.

-------------

Posted By: chk4tix
Date Posted: June 02 2009 at 6:01pm
I have has some strange things happen, like the temp sensor going out on the controller.  If the the 500w sticks and a temp sensor calls for heat even though it doesnt need it, things go south really quick.  with the smaller heaters, it takes longer before I hit critical stage.  This problem may or may not happen, but I have plenty of babkup systems just inc ase.

-------------
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Date Posted: June 02 2009 at 6:08pm
i certainly understand that. temp/thermometers/heaters are some of the worst things in the hobby. honestly i have yet to find anything that is accurate and reliable for heating. digital thermometers suck, heaters never seem to last, and now you tell me that temp sensors go out on controllers. it just really stinks, i wish they could make something truly great for temperature control. maybe i will just stick with my 200w flow through heater, and get like a stealth 300 or something.

-------------

Posted By: trunks
Date Posted: June 02 2009 at 11:04pm

i certainly understand that. temp/thermometers/heaters are some of the worst things in the hobby. honestly i have yet to find anything that is accurate and reliable for heating. digital thermometers suck, heaters never seem to last, and now you tell me that temp sensors go out on controllers. it just really stinks, i wish they could make something truly great for temperature control. maybe i will just stick with my 200w flow through heater, and get like a stealth 300 or something.

I've personally had headers stick before, so I did some reasearch with my current tank. It seems like the consensus of the veteran RC members is that Ranco controllers are the most reliable. I bought mine unwired for less than $60, which is a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

Date Posted: June 05 2009 at 3:19pm
thanks trucks, i will look into that. do you happen to know of any posts on RC?

got the tank plumbed today, and the back and sides taped up, ready for paint. i will be painting later and it should work pretty well. i am using krylon fusion in black, and will paint the back, the side against the wall, and the overflow area of the showing side. eventually, in another house, i would like to view 3 sides, so i will have to use stripper or razor blades to remove the paint from the one side against the wall.

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2009 at 3:49pm
Here is the aquascaping plan. I really enjoy open tanks and large rocks. i enjoy rockwork with open caves and lots of places that you can see completely through the rockwork. i plan to keep this in mind when doing my rockwork. island #1 and island #2 will be larger islands and go about 3/4 the way up the tank, maybe even slightly more on one or the other. the anemone island will be small and isolated keeping the anemones away from the corals.

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2009 at 7:03pm
I like it though I would consider moving island #2 back some.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: June 05 2009 at 7:11pm
looks a lot like ours :)

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: June 05 2009 at 11:51pm
Mike Savage: i am still not set on locations and sizes of islands. this is just the general idea, and i will have to see what it looks like once i get the rock actually in the tank. i do agree that it might make it look nicer if the tank had more open sand/space in the front.

cl2ysta1: i love the open spaces of your rockwork. the arches are awesome. how do you have the rock holding together? do you get rocks that shift very often?

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2009 at 12:46am
Don't get me wrong. I like it a lot and think it will look awesome!

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2009 at 12:14pm
Mike, not to worry. I took it the right way. I know after seeing many of your photos, that you have a very good artistic eye, and I appreciate that and will take any constructive criticism and keep it in mind when doing my build. Got the black painted on the back and sides, and it looks great. Unfortunately I am getting a lot of glare and can't get pics that turn out. I will have to wait until i get the lights over the tank, that way the light inside is brighter than the light outside.

Going to collect rock tomorrow with MadReefer, and it should be a blast. We are heading out to Stansburry Island and plan to do a half-day adventure collecting rock and sand for our tanks. I will have pics of that event up early next week.

-------------

Date Posted: June 06 2009 at 12:27pm
I look forward to seeing the pictures and I hope the weather holds out for you.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2009 at 7:50pm
The weather held up great. We had no problem finding sand, but rock was another story. We finally found some, but it wasn't quite the quality that we have seen from some of the others. Found some larger pieces, and they are porous, but not a grade "A" rock. I will post pics of the adventure in a little bit.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2009 at 8:47pm
Had a blast today loading up rock and sand. It was very tough to find rock, but sand was pretty easy. Once we found a hot spot for rock, it went pretty good.

Oolitic Sand

Jesse Came with to play in Sand

There were some pretty good views out there. Pictures dont do justice.

And here is where we finally found rock. Hope you all recognize it.

Got it all loaded up, some nice pieces in there!

Here it is all unloaded at home.

Me holding a medium sized rock...lol....we got some big pieces.

Finally a close up of some of the rock. Not perfect, but pretty good.

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 7:22pm
I'm glad you found it!

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: June 08 2009 at 8:38pm
It was a good time. I hope it works out well for your tank and I can't wait to see it setup.

Posted By: Turbostud653
Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 10:39am

Nice! Your setup should be awesome; can't wait.

-------------
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.

Date Posted: June 09 2009 at 11:42am
Mike, I am glad I found it too. It was starting to look like a lost cause, and just before we were going to leave we spotted some. We kept looking and looking after that and kept finding pieces here and there.

Jesse, it was awesome having you out there. We had some great conversations and found some great rock/sand. I would have been lost without you there, so I am glad you came along and had "some" familiarity with the terrain.

Turbostud653, thanks. I am having difficulties getting the rockwork to look exactly like I want it to, but as soon as the water clears up I will post pics and get everyone here to help. The problem is too many big pieces. I may have to break them up a little bit to get it to be more open.

Right now I am in the "hurry up and wait" stage. I am topping off tank, got about 40g to go, and I am mixing salt. Water is still really cloudy. I have 2 koralia 4's in there right now (got 2 more that will go in later) and have a canister filter with carbon and floss in it, to help clear water. Once I am done with this I will be waiting about a month before I add some xenia. I still have the canopy to build, and have the stand and canopy to sheet with black material.

-------------

Date Posted: June 10 2009 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by downhill_biker;112311 downhill_biker;112311 wrote:

So I got the tank up and running, but still have a bunch of work to do with the rock. The canister filter was leaking so I just stuck it in the tank for now to clear up the water. The rocks under the canister will form anemone island. The rocks in the middle will most likely just go in the sump. Basically the structure on the right stays, and the structure on the left stays, but i am having troubles getting the open look I want. The left side needs to open up between the rocks and I cant seem to get it to do so. I am willing to shift rocks around in any way, so if you have an idea lets hear it.

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 2:32pm
Here is a new shot. Redid aquascaping. It looks better, but I am still not completely satisfied with it. I am thinking that some figi  or tonga live rock could dresses it up a little. I am thinking of adding another arch across the back, and just making it a giant u shape. What do you guys think?

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 2:35pm
I think the arch is a great idea.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2009 at 2:49pm
thanks mike. i was thinking that i will have the back be the highest part of the rockwork, and go down from there tapering toward the front. similar to how it is now, but trying to open it up more.

also edited the photos. i had a double pic in there, and now i have the side view that i was supposed to have.

-------------

Date Posted: June 15 2009 at 8:31pm
Here's my sump design for the setup. Both the 200g Tank and my 72g frag tank will feed into this sump. What do you think?

-------------

Posted By: bfessler
Date Posted: June 21 2009 at 10:55pm

I think this is a great project. I hope to build a large tank myself some time, if I can talk my wife into it.

Looking at your sump design I am wondering, are there 3 chambers before the bubble trap and return and if so are they in the order shown in the drawing? You might consider moving the skimmer and bubble trap to the other side and having the refugium feed the return. I am new to the hobby but I think having the refugium feed the tank will allow for better delivery of pods and good stuff from the fuge to the display without being sucked into the skimmer.

Good luck with your build. I'll be watching this thread closely.

Burt

-------------
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Date Posted: June 21 2009 at 11:09pm
bfessler: i agree with you completely. basically the drawing isn't quite how it is working out. i am going to end up with the skimmer wherever it fits since it is so big. i will then figure out how to figure the refugeum around it. most likely either way i will have a large ball of chaeto close to the return, and of course there will be lots of pods in the display naturally, probably enough to sustain whatever fish i keep.

-------------

Posted By: vadryn
Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 11:51am
So the DSB replaces LR in the sump?

Date Posted: June 22 2009 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by vadryn vadryn wrote:

So the DSB replaces LR in the sump?

I dont think it replaces the rock, but they have similar functions. They are both major bacteria breeding grounds. The more bacteria you have, the more natural filtration you have. Bacteria does most of the filtration in our reef tanks. I am not going to be using LR in the sump, but in the system I will have several hundred pounds of rock, and several hundred pounds of sand.

-------------

Date Posted: July 02 2009 at 9:27pm
So I think it's time for an update. On tuesday I received my new pump (reeflo barracuda) and my new controller (AC Jr). I dont have the controller set up but the plumbing is mosty done. Due to the high cost of acrylic I decided to custom fit some salt bucket baffles. In the picture showing the sump the closest pic will be the drain, and is about 2" higher than the return bucket, which will determine the water level of the entire sump. Should work out pretty well, IMO.

Below the tank, going down to the

From the floor to the sump in the basement:

And the sump:

I also got some new rock, that has some very interesting shapes, so I redid my rockwork. It is finally starting to look like something I like. Not quite perfect, but better. Of course any comments or suggestions are always appreciated, everyone has a different eye for aquascaping.

-------------

Posted By: tileman
Date Posted: July 02 2009 at 10:04pm

The rockwork is MUCH better now.  It is starting to look like a real nice design. I never have liked the look of utahrock, but thats just me.

-------------
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Date Posted: July 02 2009 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

The rockwork is MUCH better now.  It is starting to look like a real nice design. I never have liked the look of utahrock, but thats just me.

Ya, I really liked the idea of collecting your own rock, and it was a very fun experience, but this rock just looks much better. When you have some interesting shapes it just gives you so much more to work with.

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 8:19am
I was wondering if your aquascaping is digging safe?  Will busy critters be able to take that down?

Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 12:18pm
should be digging safe. i am staying away from pistol shrimp or jawfish. also staying away from sandsifting gobys. mainly i will have some snails in the sand, a couple conch's, and a sandsifting star.

-------------

Date Posted: July 03 2009 at 12:36pm
Looking good. Great idea with the buckets.

Posted By: Nano_Reefer
Date Posted: July 04 2009 at 1:11am
There is some great looking rock in there. And, I am with MadReefer, Godd idea with the buckets.

Date Posted: July 04 2009 at 1:31am
hey thanks guys. i have had more comments about my "creative" baffles than anything else. just wish my tank was as cool as my buckets that i cut in half...

skimmer should be up and running soon. sump is full of water, and will have the tank and sump running together tomorrow. then a few weeks to get some life into the sand in the sump, and i should be ready to connnect the two tanks. couple more weeks after that and i will start moving coral!!!

-------------

Posted By: dew2loud1
Date Posted: July 04 2009 at 8:05am
I really like the aquascaping now,
Once it grows in you'll really like the two islands look, gives you much more area on the sand bed to place corals/clams. 
The fish should have plenty of swimming room and good hiding places as well.

Date Posted: July 06 2009 at 10:39am
I agree dew2loud1, I have 2 seperate islands in my bowfront, and I just love the look. I think that having an area where the sand goes all the way to the back glass without rock makes the tank look a lot bigger. Maybe I'm weird, but that's how my eyes see it.

I had the opportunity to get a new skimmer that was better than the Aqua Euro, so I jumped on it. This is my AquaC EV-1000 skimmer. It came without the spray injector, but right now it is running with a makeshift spray injector (Thanks Tyler for showing me how to make it), and is doing pretty well. I have a new injector on order, but for the time being this think is ROCKIN'.

Some of you are very familiar with spray injection, but for those who aren't, basically it just uses a extremely high pressure pump, and a high restriction nozzle to make a very forceful spray, where air is added. This model has 2x 3/8" air inlets and it produces a ton of bubbles. I have the water level set at the top of the black box (reaction chamber) and the acrylic tube is all foam. The reaction chamber is built in a way that there is a moderate amount of turbulence and the foam can rise very stable. I am VERY impressed with this skimmer.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: July 06 2009 at 10:58am

I am sorry I couldnt find that part for you, it looks like you got it working well, and it looks good. I didnt even think about that part. Well I am glad it is working for you.

Date Posted: July 06 2009 at 11:24am
Yes, it is. Thanks for the skimmer. I am pretty stoked on it. The part is no big deal. I got the new one on order, and it wasn't very expensive.

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2009 at 11:26am
So I was doing some thinking, and this some very cool info:

The skimmer is being powered by my reeflo barracuda. It came with a Askoll pump, but there is no need to waste electricity if the return pump can power it.

I will also be using the same pump to return on my frag tank. This will allow me to replace 4 pumps on the frag system: the return pump, the 2x recirc pumps on my Aqua Euro 265, and the sedra 9000 NW that feeds the Aqua Euro.

Overall here is how the electricity useage worked out:

Reeflo Barracuda: 230w

Sedra 9000: 90w
2xRecirc Pumps: 40wx2 (80w)
Quiet One 4000 Return pump: 50w

Total Being Replaced: 220w
New Total: 230w

I look at it like my return pump and skimmer on the new tank is costing me an additional 10w of electricity. WOOOHOOO!!!

-------------

Date Posted: July 06 2009 at 10:17pm
So I definitely have some changes going on right now in my tank. There is brown algae everywhere, which is a good thing, it's finally starting to mature.

Also got the Aquacontroller Jr. hooked up today. I only have it running my lights right now, but will put other things in later. I calibrated the pH probe and the 72g pH is great at 8.28, but the 200g is at 6.38. How do I get it to come up? Or will it naturally?

-------------

Posted By: Jeremyw
Date Posted: July 06 2009 at 11:07pm
man curtis im going to have to have you teach me how to use that controller Ive had mine for a couple months and still am having a hard time figuring about a couple of things on it like how to set the feed on it. Tank looks great man! 

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: July 07 2009 at 12:34pm
I dont know much about the controller either, but I am pretty good at electronics and computers. I just follow the directions and play with it. It was pretty easy to get everything dialed like I wanted it. I have it set for time and date, and have the lights coming on at noon and turning off at 10pm. I also have it set that if the temp gets about 85 degrees the lights turn off, and turn back on at 83. Today I will probably set up a fan over the sump that turns on at 83 and turns off at 81 degrees.

-------------

Posted By: Jeremyw
Date Posted: July 07 2009 at 12:44pm
Sweat, I got that stuff figured out on it too its just the timing for the feed that I cant figure out. When you get to that if you figure it out let me know! 

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: July 07 2009 at 1:01pm
I just messed with it, and dont know what its all about. The manual says almost nothing. I have heard these guys have top notch customer service and if you called in, they could probably walk you through whatever you wanted to do in about 5 minutes.

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2009 at 7:09pm
I went ahead and made the big move today. I hooked up my 72g to my 200g and it is now running as one system.

Water parameters before combining:

72g
pH: 8.1
temp: 81
salinity: 1.025
dKH: 10
calcium: 440

200g
pH: 8.2
temp: 79
salinity: 1.026
dKH: 15 (high but not dangerous)
calcium: 460

everything has been running together for about 8 hours now and there was no reaction to the change. feeding tentacles are out on acans, zoas are wide open, sps are showing full polyp extension. looks like it was a success.

-------------

Date Posted: July 08 2009 at 7:49pm
Thought I would update on the skimmer too. I have a new spray injector coming from AquaC that should get here any day. The DIY spray injector has been doing pretty well though. I have had the skimmer hooked up for 48 hours now, but only have been skimming for 24 hours. I plugged the overflow hole because I didn't want it spilling everywhere, and it shut down the skimmer because that was it's only vent. Well live and learn. So here's a pic with about 24 hours of skimmate, and since I just hooked up the second tank (which actually has fish in it) I should see this thing really working.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2009 at 5:37pm
I went and did some shopping today. I am mostly done with stocking, but will probably add a mandarin dragonette and a 6 line wrasse, but that's it. I realize a few of these are borderline reef safe, but I am going to give them a shot, and if they dont work out I will take them out.

Sargassum Triggerfish

Swallowtail Angelfish

Copperbanded Butterfly

Blonde Naso Tang

Got these two last week

Purple Tang

Scribbled Rabbitfish

What do you guys think? Did I go overboard?

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2009 at 5:48pm
Yes - way overboard.  You can ease your conscience by giving one or two of them to me.  Like the trigger...  Big smile  One of prettiest fish I've ever seen.

Date Posted: July 09 2009 at 6:40pm
It is a gorgeous fish!

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2009 at 9:46pm
Ok, well now that the fish is going to vadryn, I guess I dont have to worry about being overstocked. Wink Ya right, not in a million years. I LOVE THAT FISH.

Thanks Mike, now I just need you to come over and take some professional pics of it, and really show it off, lol.

-------------

Date Posted: July 09 2009 at 11:27pm
Do you happen to have a nano tank too?

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Do you happen to have a nano tank too?

Mike

No, why? You want the trigger in there for picture taking? I have a 40b and a 20g, but they are in my 72g bowfront right now. I personally thought my 5 gallon bucket made a nice backdrop.

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 7:07am
Nope. I am just trying to show off nanos.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 10:17am
Oh, gotcha. Ya 200g and 72g are my only reef tanks.

-------------

Date Posted: July 10 2009 at 6:32pm

I forgot to include one of my fish. I have a tailspot blenny in the tank too. That is a pretty cool fish. He has this problem with climbing into the powerhead whenever I turn them off to feed. I always check, but being a seio 2600 it would not be pretty, I wish he would find a new place.

The copperband had to go back to the LFS. It was being constantly chased by the purple tang. I just felt bad for her. I brought home a blue-eye kole tang though. Camera was dead, but will get a pic later. She is from the bristletooth family, so will be a great workhorse tang for me.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net