Print Page | Close Window

14g Bio Cube Build - New Modifications

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Tank Threads
Forum Description: A place to show off your tank build.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38684
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 11:19am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 14g Bio Cube Build - New Modifications
Posted By: Ahanix
Subject: 14g Bio Cube Build - New Modifications
Date Posted: February 14 2010 at 11:19pm
Hey Everyone, my name is Matt, I decided a few weeks ago after dealing with fresh water for most of my life that I wanted to venture into the whole reef scene.  I do not have a lot of room in my current house, so I figured that I would look for a BioCube.  One of the members on here happened to be selling his BioCube. So hopefully I don't ruin his old tank Tongue

Anyways, here is my build thread, currently I am running the following peices of hardware.

Maxi Jet 900
Hydor Flo
Koralia Nano Power Head
AquaClear 100w Heater
24w 10,000k Daylight PC
24w Actinic PC

I decided after reading some that I would drop out the 1st floor to make room for the heater.  The bioballs and everything was already removed.

Tonight I started running fresh water through the tank (after cleaning it down with vinegar) to both make sure the traces of vinegar I wasn't able to clean off with fresh water were removed, and to test the tank to make sure everything was working.

The tank so far seems to be running great, I pulled apart the hood and cleaned the fans to make sure they were silent. cleaned the bulbs a little bit.  will probably replace them sometime in the future with two 50/50 bulbs (unless anyone has any other suggestions)

Tomorrow I was able to find someone to trade me some live water for salt.  Someone wanting to get rid of a half bucket of live sand. And someone else that had some live rock they would trade me as well, so hopefully my cycle will go through pretty fast. - I can't believe how nice people are here!

Replies:
Date Posted: February 15 2010 at 4:57pm
Update 1:

Ran the tank for a solid 24 hours and everything seems to be going great.  When I get home today from work i'll be pulling all the water out of the tank, wiping it down and then mixing / adding the RO water I picked up at walmart today (they only had 5 1 gallon jugs, so i'll have to make two more trips while the first bucket is mixing the salt and heating up t the correct temp)  I am picking up a half bucket of live sand, and will be combining that with the current sand I have to make a 2" bed in my tank, though I may have to wait until tomorrow to dump the sand in, because I am getting some lw and some lr from a friendly member that lives a few blocks away from me.  Or should I just go ahead and add as much LS and salt water as I have and just let it settle in the tank until I can put the rock / live water in that I am getting tomorrow?  Then fire up the pump powerheads / lights again?  or I guess I can just get all the sand in there, fill the water all the way to the top and then do a partial water change with the water live rock that I will get tomorrow

Posted By: MadReefer
Date Posted: February 15 2010 at 5:07pm

Welcome. People here are very nice and also full of tons of info and experience. You have come to the right place to do this tank right. I wish I would have known about this site when I got started.

I would probably just add fresh mixed salt water and sand to the tank. It might make the water clouded but it will settle. By the time you add LR and LW it will be somewhat clear and then only take 12-48 more hours to clear up after everything is running.

Date Posted: February 15 2010 at 6:24pm

Awesome, thanks for your help!, one thing I was never able to find, is should I turn everything on and let it run to get my sand to settle, or just let it settle on its own before I start running my pump.etc?

Posted By: Mad Dawg
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 2:31am
I bought collapsible 5 gallon jugs and took them to Marine Aquatics in Midvale.  They gave me 10 gallons of lw for free.  I know Aquatica in Orem sells lw for cheap.  Your tank will cycle more quickly the more live stuff you can use up front.  I put in 2" of bagged live sand, 8 lbs of lr from two different sources, and lw from another source.  I ran the pumps immediately to clear the water.  It took about a day.  A couple days later I added a cleaning crew and had a small brown algae bloom the next day.  A few days later I added the clowns and a couple hardy corals (shrooms, xenia, green star polyps) and had a small green algae bloom the next day.  From what I've been told, the algae blooms are a normal part of the cycle and will continually happen during the life of the reef.

-------------
Todd
14g nano mixed reef project

Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 10:30am
Day #3 update

Last night I picked up a half bucket of sand plus ~1g of live water from one of our friendly members, put the sand in with all of the water I could get out of the bucket (I still have sand left over) and then filled the the rest of the tank with water that I picked up from "Where's Nemo" in Spanish Fork.

I have to say that the tank was pretty cloudy last night, but I woke up this morning and it was crystal clear. I don't know if that means that the sand just settled, or that my cycle is going better than I had hoped.

Today I will be going to a lfs (still can't decide which since I work near Thanksgiving Point) to purchase maybe a pound of live rock just to get the dead rock that I have seeded. I have about 10 pounds of dead rock that I put in a bucket of salt water last night just to see if I could free up any loose debris before it goes in my tank.

I figure its not too exciting to post a tank that just has sand in it, so i'll post some pictures of my tank when I have set up the rock and it has cleared up.

Posted By: MadReefer
Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 1:31pm
Cycling can happen very fast if you put good LS, LR, and LW in the tank. But the tank will still need to mature before it will fuction its best. Just something to keep in mind.

Date Posted: February 16 2010 at 9:49pm

Day 3.5 Update:

Alright, so since I spent my monthly alottment for my tank, I just decided to be patient, throw in my dead live rock and see how that goes.  I'll probably try to find atleast a pound or two of live rock (since I really don't have a lot of rock in my tank as you can see), just to get the little bugs to migrate to the dead rock and get it started faster, unless my live sand will do the same thing?

Anyways, here's a pic of my rock and sand set up, still a little cloudy from me shifting the sand everywhere, but should be clear tomorrow.

Date Posted: February 17 2010 at 12:25am
I vote for more rock.  I didn't really like Where's Nemo when they were in AF.  It was dirty and kinda ghetto.  Hopefully their SF location is better.  Aquatica in Orem is nice and the owner is friendly and quite helpful.

-------------
Todd

Date Posted: February 17 2010 at 12:28am
Yeah, I need to pick up quite a bit more rock.  I kind of went over the wifes budget this month, but I still need to pick up some live rock to populate my tank, so I guess we will see how that goes :P

Posted By: jcoulter17
Date Posted: February 17 2010 at 12:48am
If you on a budget buy the rock here. Members are always selling live rock for $2-$3 a lb.
I got some nice live Tonga rock from sitaga for $3 a lbs.

Date Posted: February 17 2010 at 9:10pm
Day 4:  Decided to get some live rock, a couple members on our forums really helped me out.  Got a few polyps, tank water and a bunch of live rocks, so thanks everyone again, i'll be sure to pay it forward in the future.

Heres an updated pic of my tank, any constructive criticism is more than welcome.

Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 12:01am
I like it!  You may find it easier to clean the glass if you keep the rock off the glass at least enough to get a brush or magfloat past it.  I've got two spots where I thought I'd have enough clearance, but I don't want to disturb everything now to move the rock a little.

-------------
Todd

Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 2:30pm
Well tonight I think i'll try and slide a jawfish condo underneath my rock and move some of the rock over that is on the right so my magfloat (yet to be purchased) will fit around my tank.  Thanks for the suggestion

Posted By: ksmart
Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 3:20pm

Looking good!  have you thought about what fish you want?

-------------

Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 3:46pm

I know for sure i want to get some kind of Jawfish (going to make a tunnel for it tonight before all my stuff sets in (whats another day of cloudy water, right?)  Probably a Yellow Headed, just because of the price, unless I can get an amazing deal on a BSJ.  After that I am not sure, my wife really likes clownfish, so maybe i'll get a couple of those.. not really sure how many fish I could host in this tank, I would love to have 2 clowns and 2 Jawfish, but I think the Jaw's would fight all the time with the limited space.

Posted By: Ryan Thompson
Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 4:00pm
Reef Runners gets in BSJ for $69 all the time so watch out for t if you want a good deal on one. Man when I started in the hobby 4 years ago, BSJ cost $200 a piece!

You may also want to move the Koralia more towards the surface if possible. That way it will disturb the surface and cause aerations and gas exchange.

Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 4:01pm
Thanks for that pointer Ryan, I was trying to decide where to put it, i'll do that tonight when I move some of my rocks around that are on the right / throw in my jaw tunnel if its done

Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 8:52pm
Day 5: 

Moved rock on the right a few inches to make room for magfloat when the time comes.

Cut the stem on the Pom Pom and placed it in a new location, reacting to the new location a lot better than where it was before (might have been from all the stress, sitting in a sump.etc)

Moved Zoo's up higher in the tank, they are wide open now and doing great

Star Polyps were down to the stems, no growth when I had put them in the tank, wanted to see if they would grow and they started growing heads. So I guess this must mean my tank is doing good so far.

I also pointed the Koralia upward to stir the surface water a little bit to help with gas exchange, moved filter floss to make better tank flow.

When the bubbles clear up,etc i'll start shooting the tank with the dslr.  

Posted By: jwoo
Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 9:32pm
Looks good!

If you want to have two jawfish there are many sites that sell mated pairs . . . if you are worried about fighting!

-------------
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Posted By: fishoutawater
Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:27pm
Can you really have a couple of jawfish in a tank that small? I ask because I would like to try some in my 10gal tank in the not too distant future.

-------------
Some day, when I grow up,...

Date Posted: February 18 2010 at 11:41pm
There's been some discussion about the benefit of a bottom-up current.  I can't remember what the benefits were, maybe Mark could elaborate?  I put my Koralia Nano low pointing up to get a bottom-up flow and pointed the filter return toward the surface for air exchange.

Looks real nice Ahanix, I like it!

-------------
Todd

Date Posted: February 19 2010 at 12:23am
Makes a ton of sense though, would help the water out a lot if it was blowing throughout the whole tank, rather than just the top.  I'll try it both ways and see which way my corals and stuff like it best

Posted By: Ryan Thompson
Date Posted: February 19 2010 at 1:58am
I just know with my Koralia Nano it is impossible to aim that thing. It is one of the worst designs they ever came out with IMO.

Date Posted: February 19 2010 at 2:25am
I got mine to stay at about a 45 degree angle.  It's enough to get bottom-up circulation.  I'd like it to go a little more vertical, but it does the job a gives a pretty good mixed up current in my tank.

-------------
Todd

Date Posted: February 19 2010 at 10:45am
This morning before I got to work I pushed it down to give it the bottom up circulation, hopefully it helps out.  Thanks for the suggestion

Date Posted: February 20 2010 at 12:55pm
Day 6 &7, Moved some stuff around, Start Polyp and Zoo's look like they are doing great, (Star's started out as just stems and have started growing)

Pom Pom's were pretty much dead when I got them home, so i'll probably look for a frag of that next week when my tank is ready for the clean up crew, but i'll watch them in that next week to see if they get over the move

Also, excuse the Dirty Glass and Thermometer, was checking temps (Staying pretty consistent at 76-77 degrees. and I still need to clean the glass today

Date Posted: February 22 2010 at 8:08pm
Day 9:

Diatom Bloom, brownish red algae towards the top of the tank, so I guess let the cycle begin.

Tomorrow i'm going to stop by and pick up some inverts, what do you guys suggest I pick up right now, and what should I grab later? (Snails, Red Hermits, Cleaner Shrimp?)

Still need to find out what happened to my Pom Poms, they just up and dissapeared last night, with the exception of half of the stalk.  Someone said it may be a hitchhiker, but I cant seem to find a crab, slug or anything anywhere!

Zoo's and GSP's are doing great, GSP's have grown a ton in the last couple of days, can't wait to see what they do.

(By the way, white specks are air bubbles)

Date Posted: February 23 2010 at 12:21am
Good job!  I went with 10 snails (4 astrea, 4 cerith, 2 nassarius), 10 crabs (5 blue leg, 5 red), and a peppermint shrimp.  Peppermint shrimp are great scavengers and aiptasia eaters.  Make sure you buy additional empty shells for the crabs to move up into as they grow or they will kill your snails for the shells.  Been there. Ermm  I've replaced a few snails, but these numbers have kept my tank pretty clean.

Have you built / installed the jawfish condo yet?  I'm currently building one for my yellow watchman goby.

-------------
Todd

Date Posted: February 23 2010 at 9:52am
Well, I have the PVC Piping and some left over dead rock that I could crush to make the front of the tunnel look nice / stuff for the jawfish to move around, but I haven't dared move my stuff to put it in.  I think i'll just do a straight shot from the front right corner to the back left corner, or just not install one at all and let the jawfish dig its own burrows (hoping to get two in the future, and I think it would mess them up if I were to get them paired) But then again, I guess it wont benefit to have a pair of squished jawfish from a cave-in

Date Posted: February 26 2010 at 10:32am
Day 13: Green Algae Cycle and Clean up Crew

So yesterday, after holding out for a couple of days with my Diatom Cycle I decided to pick up a clean up crew.  Got home and now everything is starting to go green in my tank, so I guess my cycle is well on its way, hopefully i'll start to see some purple soon.

Anyways, here is what my clean up crew consists of

4 Astraea Snails
2 Nassarius Snails
4 Cerith Snails

10 multi-colored hermit crabs (some blue, blue banded, scarlet.etc)

1 Mithrax Crab (Red Female)

1 Green Brittle Star

After I had let the snails and crabs sit in the water for about 45 minutes I set them free, they immediately started going to work, my tank is a lot cleaner than it was the whole rest of the week, so I know they are doing their job.  I woke up this morning and can tell that this should be a pretty good number for my clean up crew, but I guess only time can tell.

The mithrax is doing pretty good, watched her pick off a lot of hair/green algae last night, and move up pretty far in the tank

The sea star is hidden pretty well in my rocks now, I can see a few tentacles sticking out in key places, and it seems to be pretty happy, I fed it a couple brine shrimp last night that it seemed to like

After this I am going to start stocking the tank with a few corals, let those secure themselves and then probably get some type of fish and a skunk cleaner shrimp.  I was going to get a Jawfish, but I am not sure yet, so I guess we will see what happens.

Salinity yesterday was 1.026 so I pulled out about 2-3 cups of water and replaced it with some RO water to drop it down to 1.025, I need to test it tonight, but it should be about right.

Tank is staying consistent at 75-76 degrees without a heater, so I am not sure if I should pick one up or not

Please also ignore the 5 bell looking things in the photo at the top of the tank, I didn't realize I had my lights on when I was taking photos, haha

Date Posted: February 28 2010 at 9:57pm
Day 14/15: Fish!

Hey guys, so I finally decided to get a couple of clowns. They seem to be doing great! both eating wonderfully, and its kind of fun to feed them because now I can get my starfish out, he loves Formula One, haha.

Anyways, here's the new pictures, obviously its pretty barren, only some Zoo's and GSP, but hopefully I can get some Xenia this week, and then see what else is around. Hopefully my clowns will like the Xenia, I feel kind of bad that they don't have anything to host, but they don't seem too stressed out at the moment.

Oh, I also moved some rock around to give more room for corals in the future

Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 7:15pm
So it's been quite a while since I have updated this.  Fish seem to be doing great, got a couple more corals (Silver Tip Xenia, LB Candy Cane Coral) Thanks Todd and Kevin!

Not the best picture, but a lot better than my other pictures.  Especially since I fixed the bubble problem.  (The DIY Media Basket fixed everything) so thanks for the idea Todd, and the eggcrate.

Posted By: Deluxe247
Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 10:03pm
Looks mighty fine!

-------------
90G Mixed Reef

Posted By: kellerexpress
Date Posted: March 13 2010 at 11:09pm
looking good man, like the scape

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Date Posted: March 31 2010 at 8:17pm

Its been quite a while since I have updated, but I just wanted to post my progress on my tank.  

I added a media basket in the back, some more corals, fixed my whole bubble issue, my candy cane coral has grown a ton since I put it in there, excited to see how big it gets.  Xenia started growing back off rock that I got when I first started my tank, kind of cool.  and everything else seems to be growing great.  I have done two 1 gallon water changes since having the tank, and will probably do another 1 gallon change this weekend.

Date Posted: April 01 2010 at 12:20pm
Alright, so I decided to post a video with my cellphone, the quality isnt that great, but atleast it gives a good idea of how my tank is set up.

Thanks

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcAx_s-f1jU -

Posted By: Jeremyw
Date Posted: April 01 2010 at 1:20pm
Looking great!

-------------
Next meeting:

Posted By: kellerexpress
Date Posted: April 03 2010 at 9:13pm
Looking good man! Glad the candy cane is growing, it grows like mad in my tank too!

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Date Posted: May 18 2010 at 10:18pm
So here is my 3 month update, a lot has changed. I had to re-do my rock work due to a missing Jawfish, now I have two clowns and a bi-color blenny.

With my lighting upgrade, this is pretty close to my current lighting color

Date Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:21pm
Looks nice, man.  Do you really get enough flow without the koralia?  Is the branching coral in the back right a kenya tree?  Your gsp looks a lot better than mine.  That candy cane looks nice, too.  Have you thought about a condo and another jawfish?

-------------
Todd

Date Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:29pm
Yeah, I seem to get plenty of flow..  I pulled out the koralia because I have a Maxijet 900 in the back of my tank (with that alone I am getting a 17x turnover), and with both the MJ and the KN on my little clowns had a really hard time swimming haha...

Once I took out my KN my corals also got a lot bigger than they were, so its seemed to help everything out quite a bit.

The branching coral in the back right is a brown finger leather (I think) it recently started growing a lot

I wanted another Jawfish, but I think that will have to wait since I bought a bi-color blenny, dunno if I can risk putting it in the tank, my wife would be really upset if another one died (they are her favorite)

Here's a picture of the corals

Date Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:45pm
I forgot you had the MJ900.  Did you ever bypass the elbow into the display?  Did that increase your flow?

Isn't the reddish-brown one the finger leather?  I have one just like it. 

Does the blenny hide in holes like the jawfish?  I had a yellow watchman goby and a red scooter blenny that completely ignored each other.

-------------
Todd

Date Posted: May 18 2010 at 11:53pm
I haven't messed around with the elbow, but I think this week I am going to bypass the elbow to increase more flow, plus I am going to install a loc line with a T on it to push the water in both directions.  Also I might buy a 50/50 bulb just to help my coral growth instead of two actinic, even though I love the color

Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 12:09pm
So a couple of weeks have passed, but this is probably the largest update that I have had with the tank.  Gaining on 4 months with this tank, i'm amazed with how much has changed, but also how much stuff I have changed around LOL

Here's my mod list for the last couple of weeks

1-

Removed 2" of sand from the bottom of the tank, I probably will remove another inch, but I will do that when I do another water change. 

This gave me close to a whole extra gallon of water in my tank.

I am still playing with the idea of doing a barebottom tank, but since my sand hasn't been blowing around so far, I think i'll just leave it how it is.

2-

Added a Loc Line Y Splitter with 3 Links for Each Side

This diverted the flow of the Maxijet 900, removing a couple dead spots I had in my tank, but seemed to make my flow go down a lot more than I like

3-

Added a Koralia Evolution Nano 425 (Same Size as the Koralia Nano, but pushes 425GPH)

I did a bit of research, and even though my Koralia Nano was pushing my tank a bit harder than it should, I decided to give this a try.  Surprisingly enough, this created the perfect amount of turbulence for my tank, and now gives most of my corals a decent wave, rather than blowing in one direction, they rock back and forth.  

I now no longer have any extreme dead spots like I did, which was causing my cyano outbreak.

4 - 

And last but not least, I finally finished my LED build, I made another post for the build thread, but I figured I would post again just to show what a huge difference it is making, I probably will place some screening to help acclimate my corals better to the lighting, but after a day underneath the LED's my corals have opened up a lot more than they did with the power compact lighting.

Before

After

Posted By: bugzme
Date Posted: June 04 2010 at 1:26pm
Looks great! very nice color.

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net