Forum Description: All threads for 2014 and earlier POTM Entries and voting
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44072
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 5:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 92gal corner tank/updated pics on last post
Posted By: bstuver
Subject: 92gal corner tank/updated pics on last post
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 8:33pm
Well I got everything moved over and doing well. I only kept the top layer of sand as my live sand and rinsed the rest of it out so no tank crash yea!!
Anyway here are a couple pics from today:

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Replies:
Posted By: jmorrell
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 9:20pm
looks good.

Posted By: MadReefer
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 9:29pm
Thumbs Up Nice.

Posted By: jrjones800
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 9:58pm
nice looking tank 

Posted By: builderofdreams
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 10:20pm

Another work of Art.Thumbs Up

-------------
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Posted By: kellerexpress
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 10:55pm
cool tank, what was the reason for the switch?

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by kellerexpress kellerexpress wrote:

cool tank, what was the reason for the switch?

I'm never happy with anythingTongue I drive my family crazy!!
Honestly the other one just took up too much room and this fits nicely in the corner. It was all an oak color but we used a pearl colored spray paint so it matched better in the room it is in.
I'm happy, for nowLOL

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: SGH360
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 11:44pm
so you decided to downgrade to this? looks pretty but if only it was 120G

Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 11:51pm
It's less than a 30g downgrade and yes it fits the room a lot better so I am happier with it.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 11:57pm
what kind of lights are you running?

Posted By: Jeffs_little_ocean
Date Posted: October 17 2010 at 11:59pm
Looks great Jackie! I just love corner tanks, I think they look so cool.

-------------
Life is good....right?

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 12:05am
Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

It is a 2x 250w halides and 2 not sure on watts T5 fixture.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 12:06am
Thanks everybody!!

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Posted By: kay181
Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 12:20am
 sweet Thumbs Up

-------------
day light scares me im going back under

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:40am
Many hobbyists seem to post pics looking for someone to give them a pat on the back. If that is what you want then stop reading right here. Don't read any further.

The big picture looks great but the aquascaping looks awful.
I'm not kidding.

Actually, I think corner tanks look very coolCool, but from the perspective of water flow and ease of working with, they are a PITA.Ouch Please tell me you are not finished with the aquascaping. That wall of LR, rubble and frags is going to cause big problems down the road. Many constructive ideas are available, if you dare. Smile

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Posted By: bugzme
Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:50am
Looks great Jackie! Mark has told me for years that my aquascaping sucked. LOL

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 8:15am
That's a misquote. What I really said is that Jeff needed to suck out some of that detritus from that old sand bed. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 9:19am
Actually I just posted because it was new, I knew however Mark that you would be the first to tell me things are wrong.
Anyway for some reason the pictures don't show the depth of what the rock work looks like, I like the bottom part as it has all my zoas and mushrooms to spread over the sand bed when grown in and yes I know you don't agree with that Mark but all the tanks I have seen that I really like are this way.
As for flow there is not a dead spot in the tank, I have koralias running that you can't see.
Anyway you're more than welcome to tell me why "you" think my aquascape is awful but that doesn't mean I will change it. Obviously there are several others that liked it or maybe they were just being nice.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 9:30am
Just ignore the negativity Jackie. I think the aquascaping looks really good. It sounds like you understand the importance of keeping flow back in the dead spots. I also really like the color you painted the stand. It looks really clean and my sister who is an interior designer would say it fits nicely in the room. Nice Job! Thumbs Up

-------------
Life is good....right?

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 6:57pm
Please forgive me. I didn't see myself as being negative. I was just trying to help. How can we improve and what good is this club if all we hear is accolades?

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:01pm
Mark you should have been a doctor! Keep looking till you think you found something wrong! IMHO I think some of your negative comments are bad for the club!!!

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:02pm
Don't see the humor in any of your post. You can tell me whatever you'd like. As for the reason in posting this is a show off your tank thread, if you don't like looking at other peoples imperfections in their tanks why do you look at them?

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:06pm
Are they imperfections? I think not!!! People are afraid to show pic's of their tanks because of Marks comments! One mans junk is another man's treasure! Mark I think you should respect that!!!

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:06pm
What are some problems that will happen with this type of rockwork Mark?

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:08pm
There won't be any problems other than it has SPS that will grow like crazy!!!

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:11pm
what is wrong with that arent they peaceful among other sps?

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:17pm
OMG Aren't you guys tired of Mark finding something wrong with every tank pic that is posted? I believe different things work for different people and Mark is not the god of tanks! especially sps tanks

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:19pm
I have to say that when I posted this thread I looked at my husband and said, Mark will be the first one to say something is wrong.
Out of curiosity Mark where are pics of any of your current tanks?

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:48pm
A few pics of a few of my tanks are in the thread linked below. For the past year I have not been able to have a tank of any consequence.
I'm sorry to have offended you both.
I have been at this very intently for a long time and because of that, I see things that others don't. Would you rather that I stay silent and let WMAS hobbyists encounter problems that could be avoided or struggle with problems that could be fixed?

-------------

Posted By: Luckedout
Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:52pm
I love corner tanks but they are a pita for equipment and flow. They're a good tank if you have a fish room.

For me, aquascaping is a personal preference. What look are you trying to accomplish and still allow for growth and flow are most important. Not everyone is going to like it.

-------------
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 7:59pm
I have excellent flow through this tank, I can see every piece of coral move with the flow. Mark the way you come off is to say you are better than anyone else, I realize you have more experience than me but to pretty much say that the aquascape I had done was a piece of crap was your personal opinion. I am never happy with my aquascape at first so I am sure it will get tweaked several times before I am completely happy.
This tank is a bit hard to photograph and actually show the depth of it, it comes off looking like a big pile of rocks when in reality it has lots of nooks and crannies and open holes. I will try to get a better pic.
And as luckedout has said the way you scape your tank is personal preference. 

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 8:01pm

I won't say anything more unless Jackie wishes it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I won't say anything more unless Jackie wishes it.

You are more than welcome to say why you think the rockwork will be a problem.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 8:07pm
Who is both? You don't offend me because I don't believe in alot of your methods!!! Telling everyone that post that they have a problem does!

-------------
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User

Posted By: jwoo
Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 9:00pm
Mark has a way of doing things that differ from most on this board, the problem is that he comes off as the ONLY way of doing things. I personally don't agree with 90% of the things he says but that 10% I would miss if he stopped posting would be value lost. I think it is important to hear opposite opinions and experiences even if you need to take some with a grain of salt. I think Mark would be much more effective if he chose his words a little more careful . . . but then again he would not be the Mark that we all know and love.

Listen to what he says but realize that some of it may not suite how/what you are trying to accomplish. I just roll my eyes sometimes when I read Mark, but to be frank the same can be said of some others on the board who are very vocal *cough ryan cough*.

I love the tank Jackie, we get into this hobby because we enjoy it and you clearly are someone who enjoys it! I've never seen someone go through so many tanks!

-------------
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Date Posted: October 18 2010 at 9:17pm
Thanks Justin!! I completely agree with what you have said.
I know I go through a lot of tanks trying to get the one that I love. It took me a long time to do the same when I was keeping freshwater but I managed to keep my 60g cube with plants and discus for almost a year without changing! It just really has to make me happy and if it becomes more of a nuisance in that room or with what is going on I try to change it up to make myself happy. As I have said I drive my family crazy:)

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 8:45am
Thanks Jackie.Thumbs Up
I appreciate what you said. It changes everything as far as what I would recommend. The way it looks right now, your tank will probably do just fine.
I beg forgiveness for causing a commotion.
Hug

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

A few pics of a few of my tanks are in the thread linked below.
Mark, I sure like you, and you sure are a nice guy, but after looking at all your tanks from the past with all the diy stands, rubbermaids, and light fixtures held on by screws and 2x4s, I think maybe you should stick to advise on chemistry issues, and stay away from advising people on what looks good LOL 

-------------
Life is good....right?

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 1:41pm
I don't think he was ever saying that it doesn't look good, but that it might not be easy to get good flow with the way the rocks are stacked. It's good to try to have as little rock touching the sand as possible and have a lot of open area for water to flow through. It's especially tough to get good flow in a corner tank as the back corner can become a dead spot if packed with rocks.

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 2:03pm
[QUOTE=Mark Peterson]
The big picture looks great but the aquascaping looks awful.
I'm not kidding.[QUOTE=Mark Peterson]

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

It is a 2x 250w halides and 2 not sure on watts T5 fixture.

Jackie, is it (2) 250 watt pendants, or a single MH-T5 fixture?

-------------
Life is good....right?

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 2:21pm
I guess I take it as "looks awful" in function, not form. But maybe that is because that is what I think. I think it could function better but I don't think it's bad looking. I wish people would criticize my setups that much.
I was reading recently about how a few people took half the rock out of there display and it was the best thing they ever did. It opens it up and benefits both form and function.

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 4:36pm
Yea as I stated before this is the first run and yes I more than likely will be taking some rock out I am just trying to get what I like.

The light is a 29" fixture that has the 2 250w halides and 2- T5

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 7:41pm
So what better way could I scape it? I am thinking I might just do like a center island so there is flow through the back and front. This is what I was going to do in the first place but for the life of me couldn't remember what I had plannedLOL I still plan to have my zoas/mushrooms along the bottom as most of the tanks I have seen this is what I like.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 7:56pm
When I had my corner I did to small islands towards the side and left the middle fairly open. The goal for flow was to place my powerheads and returns so that the water was pushed out along the sides, went along the front the returned in the middle. I don't think I ever achieved it but I never had dead spots.

p.s. Aesthetically I really like open tanks as well.

-------------
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

When I had my corner I did to small islands towards the side and left the middle fairly open. The goal for flow was to place my powerheads and returns so that the water was pushed out along the sides, went along the front the returned in the middle. I don't think I ever achieved it but I never had dead spots.

p.s. Aesthetically I really like open tanks as well.

Hmm ok, well I will try a few different things and see how I like it. I like open tanks as well but I have a lot of coral which is why I keep salt water so I need some amount of rock for all of it and places where things won't kill each other.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Posted By: kellerexpress
Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 8:26pm
Al that matters is that you are happ with it, I think it looks good

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 9:25pm
I'm ok with it, I will get it looking how I want it;) It will just take me a bit!

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: October 19 2010 at 11:19pm
I just now saw this thread.  Jackie- I like it a lot.  I saw the pics and thought "wow nice looking tank"

Mark- what is your deal?  I really wish you could travel with us to more fish events.... and meet people who do things better than you.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Date Posted: October 20 2010 at 3:03am
Wow thank you! I rearranged things tonight and actually like it better than I had it, I will post a new pic on the first thread tomorrow when everything is not ticked off at me.
Mark still won't like it as I have a ton of zoas and mushrooms on the bottom and I know he hates that but I am looking for it to fill in with all the mushroom and zoo growth.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 20 2010 at 10:11am
I don't "hate" it. I just haven't learned to communicate with kindness. What madreefer said about form and function is exactly what I would liked to have written. Thanks Jesse.Thumbs Up

Jackie, your tank has beautiful color, the stand and hood included. It also has lots of gorgeous coral. I don't "hate" any of that. I like it all. (I kick myself for not saying that right at first.)

The function of flow is more important than anything. The flow across the LS is critical because that is where more than 50% of filtration occurs. If we can maximize the flow across all the rock surfaces(front, back, sides) and across the sand our tank will continue to perform well and look fantastic for many years. Without that function, the tank may look good for 6 months. Well maybe a year.Smile

Adam, I too wish I could do that. Cry I've grown old and stagnant.

-------------

Posted By: builderofdreams
Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:40am
hey all.
I  can completely understand the Lack of Suddelty from Mark.
I have been building Custom Cars for 25 years(thats where the BuilderofDreams comes from) and have done the exact same thing to others that Mark has done.Its is not done out of Ignorance it is done to Help.There is no room for Suddelty in my profession.We inform for the over all quality of the project regardless of what of others feelings.I have been doing this so long that ya lose the fact that others have feeling,when they have work so hard and to the best of thier abilities,just to be told that is  far from right(not implying  that the stacking of rocks is incorrect,not my place).I took what Mark had told me and appied it to the best of my ability,Good enough, well will see.Mark was concerned with the LongTerm of the Tank and so was i.So with all that said i think that maybe Mark and I will be a little more Suddel about how we present our selfs and others abilities.Mark thanks for your help on my Tank.Also check out the last post on my 150 gallon of Madness and let me know what ya think..Thanks Again.

-------------
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:16pm
I checked back to see if you'd updated the pics, but I just noticed the stand. I was too busy trying to see what corals and whatnot were in the tank and didn't notice it, but I really like it. You don't see too many white stands and I think it really really works with the colors put off by the tank. Very clean looking as well. 

-------------
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:57pm
Thanks guys. I understand what you are saying builderofdreams however almost every post from Mark I see is one telling people they have done something wrong. And to me Adam saying that it worked well and looked good in my opinion is whos advise I would take as he is in Marine ecology.
Luckedout thanks, it started out as the oak color that lots of tanks come in but I can't stand that color so I did it to match the room it is in. I really like it!

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 21 2010 at 5:04pm
That's a very nice tribute to Adam. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:43pm
K I removed some more rock and made kind of a tripod for the rocks to sit on. I am really liking it now! There is tons of flow through the tank and a lot of open area.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:49pm
Very pretty. Do those caves connect and allow the fish to swim all around under the rocks?

Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by MadReefer MadReefer wrote:

Very pretty. Do those caves connect and allow the fish to swim all around under the rocks?

Yep they go all the way through to the back:)

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Posted By: Ahanix
Date Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:56pm
Looking awesome Jackie, keep it up!

Posted By: thathiep
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 12:18am
Nice, I really like the new aquascape.

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 1:18am
how long did it took you to redo all of your rock work?

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 8:51am
That looks AWESOME. Clap
I wanna come see it in person.

-------------

Posted By: DLindquist
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:04am
Great looking setup Jackie! I can tell you have some great flow throughout the tank. Now sit back and enjoy. LOL I know, the tinkering never stops. But isn't that part of the fun?

-------------
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Posted By: bur01014
Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 3:25pm
Wow, I didn't want to say anything earlier because of the drama, but I have to admit, looks way better than it did....Just an opinion though....diggin the caves and uniqueness...

Date Posted: October 25 2010 at 3:51pm
Thanks everyone!!!
Mark you are more than welcome to come by anytime you are down this way.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net