Print Page | Close Window

INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Introduce Yourself
Forum Description: Introduce Yourself the the club.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48548
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 3:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Posted By: Adam Blundell
Subject: INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Date Posted: April 27 2011 at 2:23pm
Please tell us all about you. We're excited to make new friends in the hobby.  Share with us a little about you and your tanks, and why it is that you love saltwater.

Also, once you create a topic (and this actually applies to all threads on the forums) you can share it on facebook, like it, or even tweet it!  Share the love (of marine life)!

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Replies:
Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: April 27 2011 at 9:50pm
The other day I gave some quick and simple advice to a hobbyist. He evidently knew nothing of my experience in this hobby because instead he went to a LFS and followed their advice. Thus he spent many wasted hours on his tank and jeopardized the health of his entire aquarium. This has brought to my attention the need for people to realize the valuable advice that is available from the "old timers" and some others that may not be such old timers, but have become knowledgable in this hobby in a relatively short time.

New hobbyists would be wise to realize the wealth of knowledge to be gleaned from the infinitely knowledgeable hobbyists of this forum.

For the benefit of all the hobbyists that come to this forum, I would like to introduce Adam and also ask him to add more and correct my failing memory. Smile

Clap Adam has been at this hobby since around 1996 when, as a High School student, he would come to my house often to see my 3 year old reef aquarium. (He lived just a few blocks away.) He formed many clubs during his time at Viewmont HS.
Adam went on to receive Bachelors and Masters Degrees with majors in marine science fields. He was my Vice President in the WMAS during 2000 and 2001 and has been serving very actively in the WMAS ever since, four or five years of that time as club President.
Adam always helps keep things moving. He currently works in marine science doing research and publishing awesome articles in many marine hobby and scientific periodicals. Thumbs Up

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: April 27 2011 at 10:20pm
That sums it up well.LOL
But I'll add we do have some great local stores... and I often ask them for advise.  You'll be surprised and what you can learn from them to add to your library of ideas.

Adam

-------------

Posted By: sodak89
Date Posted: April 30 2011 at 6:29pm
Hello everyone i am jeremy i moved to utah in 2009 from south dakota. I enjoy being outdoors and pretty much everything to do with it.  I just started my first saltwater tank a couple days ago. I have always want to start one just didnt know where to start. One of my buddies helped me out and i got one started. I have a 28 gallon nano cube for right now to see how i like it so far its going good i found a couple snails and a couple crab in my live rock. just waiting for it to cycle so i can get my first livestock.

-------------
sodak89

Posted By: Jeremyw
Date Posted: May 01 2011 at 10:41am
Welcome Jeremy! Glad to you have here!(Always glad to have another Jeremy on board) Great place and lots to learn here.

-------------
Next meeting:

Posted By: BCA MAN
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 8:28pm

WELL, IM NOT NEW TO THE HOBBY BUT FINALLY HAVE A PLACE TO RESET MY 55 GALLON REEF. I VIEW THIS FORM ENOUGH I FIGURED IT WOULDN'T HURT TO JOIN IN ONCE IN A WHILE ON A CONVERSATION. HOPING TO GET TO A MEETING OR TWO THIS SUMMER IF TIME WORKS OUT BETWEEN WORK AND SCHOOL. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVISE! BRYAN

-------------
55 Gallon Display
20 Gallon Home Made Sump
Why Not DIY?

Posted By: jen!
Date Posted: June 07 2011 at 9:03pm
I've been the true epitome of a lurker. :)

25 posts since 2007!  w00t!

I'll be posting up an introduction for you all!

-------------
90 gallons of nerdness.

Posted By: paul84043
Date Posted: July 28 2011 at 7:52pm
Hello all, I'm not new to fish, but I am new to saltwater.  We recently "won" some free feeder goldfish at the American Fork Fair....  That little suare ended up costing me about $600 and we ended up with one small tank for the crappy goldfish, and a 56 gallon tank in our front room with an assortment of semi-aggressive tropicals.
Well, as it happens this has all led to my wife reminding me that she has "always" wanted a saltwater tank and now I have a 75 gallon tank, biowheel, powerhead, and two 150w heaters sitting on the bedroom floor.
SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) wants me to build it into a wall.  We have a decent spot to do it, it's in the basement, (it's a walkout, so not really a basement), between our bedroom and my computer nook.  The size and weight are not an issue.  The time and finished product are....  I'm pretty handy, but don't want this ending up looking stupid.
The other option is freestanding in another location pretty close to this other spot.
So my Hello, and my question is... what next?
We're starting with a fish/live rock tank and I know that initial setup is going to take at least several months.  A reef would be down the road quite a bit. 
I have researched setup alot, but want to get opinions on the whole thing from people that have probaby seen it/been through it.
The built in issue is that the wall is just a non load bearing 2x4 wall so the tank would be protruding out each side (with a supporting base of course).  My brain has issues with how this is going to look.. I think offset, she thinks centered.  The other option would be protruding on three sides.
The other issues are: everything else...
What would you do, and why?
Store bought startup culture (ie...live someting or other) to get things rolling.  Sand? Gravel? How muh salt?, what brand?
Pointers to some good threads, websites, and personal input would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Tanks.  (ha, ha....get it?)

Paul.

-------------
Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall not be dissappointed

Posted By: Akira
Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 1:40am
This is a shout out to Mark for the time and knowledge he gave to me. Early morn call from him and the many links he post for the "newbies" as i will be for a long tie to come is greatly appreciated!!!!! To those who are newer than i ask many questions and irritate the elderly "aka experienced" they always help even when our wealth of knowledge is in the shallow end of the salt pool !!! "aka tide went out and waiting for it to come in "

Posted By: Quickness
Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Akira Akira wrote:

This is a shout out to Mark for the time and knowledge he gave to me. Early morn call from him and the many links he post for the "newbies" as i will be for a long tie to come is greatly appreciated!!!!! To those who are newer than i ask many questions and irritate the elderly "aka experienced" they always help even when our wealth of knowledge is in the shallow end of the salt pool !!! "aka tide went out and waiting for it to come in "

Everyone here is super helpful! Clap  No matter the experience level. 

I have never actually introduced myself either. 

My name is Jared and have been into fish for a long time.  Always kept fresh water as I was always afraid of the expense of salt water.  But decided to take the plunge in July of this year.  I have not second guessed this adventure yet and have enjoyed the time that I have spent with everyone that I have had the chance to meet.  The wealth of knowledge here is amazing!  I do not think that there has been a day since I have been doing that I have not learned something new.

Outside of fish I am a youth counselor at a residential treatment center.  I have been working with at risk and troubled youth for about 7 years or so.  Although not the cash cow that I had always hoped for in life, but the internal rewards are what drives me to continue doing what I do.  I honestly can not see myself doing anything else with my life. Well other then going back to school and actually becoming a therapist or social worker. Smile

-------------
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 2:33am
My name is Kurt, im a maintenance mechanic....journeyman electrician and i can make most things. When it comes to lighting i will buy  or fab my own depending on what i need. Seems most diy for specific so i will follow when i decide whats best for my app.but for now a sizing and recommends for return pump, skimmer ,sump and refugium would be appreciated. But im not gonna throw the switch so any volunteers will let em do it to see if i get sparks lol

Posted By: Kristine Woolsey
Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 7:36am
welcome to the addiction

-------------
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]

Posted By: Quickness
Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Kristine Woolsey Kristine Woolsey wrote:

welcome to the addiction

This is worse then drugs and probably more expensive lol

-------------
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Posted By: pgravis
Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 9:38pm
My name is PJ, and I've had a saltwater tank for a couple years now. I bought my first tank (a 65 gal) in 2008, and haven't looked back since.   I've always been interested in the tropics, and truly feel like I was born in the wrong country!   I never considered keeping fish until a friend gave me a freshwater tank. I liked the idea of a planted tank, and after much research I ended up in lfs Aquatic Dreams looking for a light for a planted tank.   I was amazed by what I saw, and soon convinced my wife that salt water was worth the plunge.   I had my 65 gal up until about a year ago, when I placed my house up for sale.   I downsized to a rsm 130 to make the house look bigger and to make the move easier.   I still have the rsm (living with family while we remodel our new house).    I am looking to upgrade once we move into our house.   I like the deep dimension tanks, and hope to end up with one of those.   
You can see my house remodel here http://www.eclecticvictorian.com - www.eclecticvictorian.com

I work with Jared (quickness) at a residential treatment center for troubled youth.   I am an Outdoor Educator, which basically means I teach all forms of recreation to these kids, everything from whitewater rafting to rock climbing to alpine skiing and camping.   It really is the most amazing job set up ever! I am ruined for "grown up" work, and can think of nothing worse than being in an office.   I also enjoy doing graphic design, and if you have seen Aquatic Dreams brochure, I designed that, and my wife and I took the photos.   
I am a big fan of the knowledge to be had on this forum, and it definitely has helped keep me in the hobby.
Cheers,
PJ

-------------
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com

Date Posted: September 24 2011 at 11:19am
Hello everyone,

I'm Mark Peterson. I helped start the WMAS back in March 1995. I have been very involved in the club ever since. I always loved nature, keeping aquariums practically all my life, starting in Biology in college (ended up somewhere else Wink) and starting my first reef tank in 1993. I've been here so long and have written so much that I'm not sure about an introduction. Perhaps an explanation or even an apology would be better.Embarrassed

Recent posts here, and some not so recent posts, however, deserve attention.

First of all, to Akira, You are very welcome. I'm glad to have helped you a little that day and happy to see you posting on the forum and learning more about this wonderful hobby.

Next an apology to Paul84043. Your one and only post, from back in July, seems to have gone unanswered. I just looked up your phone number and will give you a call here in a minute.

Lastly, I want to say thank you to all my fishy friends and fellow hobbyists. Every person who has ever posted here has helped me in some way. Some have been my friends in this hobby for so long that I now consider them my friends first and fellow hobbyists second.  To all of you I say,
       Hug THANKS Hug

-------------

Posted By: PLJ
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:10am
Hello,
My name is Pete and my wife Lindy and I have gotten back into the hobby in June of this year after a 6 year break.  We started in 1999 with a 55g, went through several tanks until we ended up with a 280g mixed reef for several years in California.  When we moved to Southern Utah could not move it and have missed our passion ever since.  In June we started a 145g Oceanic Glass half round tank.  MAN HAVE THINGS CHANGED IN 6 YEARS!!!  This looks like a great place to be to get information and support to bring us current and seems like a lot of nuts for the hobby just like us!  Out 9 year old son is hooked and reads more fish / reef books than school books, he has helped us plan things out as well and will probably post some of his questions through us (he has some great ones!)

Look forward to talking with all of you on the posts and knowing how many are in the St. George / Washington area?

For any Presidency members, I paid (you get used to it in this hobby, and you all do great work!) but guess I missed the instructions...  It made me create my forum name again, not sure how that posts / works?  I put this Forum name when I paid, but???  Any help on that would be great.

Thanks all.

Pete & Lindy

-------------
145 Gallon Half Round Mixed Reef
2x250 MH
Marineland 36" LED

Posted By: Turbostud653
Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:49am
Welcome PLJ.  Glad to have you back in the club.  You have found a great place to meet new friends and get advice.

-------------
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.

Posted By: Pete1122
Date Posted: November 04 2011 at 12:01pm
Hello, my name is Mike Petersen.  I just bought a Biocube 29 HQI and am brand new to the hobby.  I plan on starting slow and making a bunch of mistakes I'm sure.  I work from home as an Account Manager and have lived in Alaska, Washington and Arizona.  I now live in Herriman and will be posting pics of my new set up, wish me luck!

Date Posted: November 04 2011 at 5:40pm
We'll see you tomorrow.... right???

www.MountainWestReefFest.com

-------------

Posted By: mikenmandymoo
Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 12:12pm
Hi all!  I am Mandy Poulsen. My husband -Mike- and I are both huge aquarium lovers.  I have had small freshwater aquariums in my time - but ultimately Mike and I have wanted to have one (or LOTS more) saltwater tanks in our home.  We now have about 4 or 5 tanks in ranging sizes sitting empty along with several pieces of equipment as well.  We WANT to start reef keeping, but are unsure where to start.  Thats were this club came into play!  :)  We were online searching "Dr. Google" as I like to call it and came across the website.  Both being very big advocates for the aquarium hobby, we decided to become members and my hope is to learn enough I can get the 40 gal tank started and watch it come to life.  Once feeling comfortable I plan on creating our 65 gal, 125 gal, 10 gal, and 30 gal all into happy tanks as well.  But - one step at a time! :)
I'm definitely needing help from the club.  I have NO idea where to start - having asked a few friends that 'dabble' in the hobby, I've gotten stone-walled by them. :(  Being told to go to a LFS and have someone else set it up for me.  My problem.... I want to do it MYSELF so I know WHAT I'm doing and WHY.  
Here's hoping to get loads of feedback and some items to share within the club.

Posted By: lskurys
Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by mikenmandymoo mikenmandymoo wrote:

Hi all!  I am Mandy Poulsen. My husband -Mike- and I are both huge aquarium lovers.  I have had small freshwater aquariums in my time - but ultimately Mike and I have wanted to have one (or LOTS more) saltwater tanks in our home.  We now have about 4 or 5 tanks in ranging sizes sitting empty along with several pieces of equipment as well.  We WANT to start reef keeping, but are unsure where to start.  Thats were this club came into play!  :)  We were online searching "Dr. Google" as I like to call it and came across the website.  Both being very big advocates for the aquarium hobby, we decided to become members and my hope is to learn enough I can get the 40 gal tank started and watch it come to life.  Once feeling comfortable I plan on creating our 65 gal, 125 gal, 10 gal, and 30 gal all into happy tanks as well.  But - one step at a time! :)
I'm definitely needing help from the club.  I have NO idea where to start - having asked a few friends that 'dabble' in the hobby, I've gotten stone-walled by them. :(  Being told to go to a LFS and have someone else set it up for me.  My problem.... I want to do it MYSELF so I know WHAT I'm doing and WHY.  
Here's hoping to get loads of feedback and some items to share within the club.
Welcome.  I am pretty new to salt water my self.  I do live in roy also.  You are welcome to come by and check out my tank and bs.  I am also happy to give you some seed sand and water when you are ready to set up your tank.  If you wanted to to do some reading look under the general tab and the first 2nd sticky there is a good place to start.   

-------------
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's

Posted By: mikenmandymoo
Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 1:26pm
Thnx!!  I am going to do some reading prior to starting, but knowing there is someone close for questions & some starter material is nice.  You can count on hearing from me soon. :)

Posted By: GreeceLover
Date Posted: November 09 2011 at 6:34pm
So I am completey new to this, I haven't had a fish tank since I was a kid (that was a while ago) and that was freshwater.  Growing up in Southern California I was always drawn to the ocean, and then joining the Navy took me into it.  Before I moved to Utah I got into scuba diving and found out it's out of this world.  I've been wanting a saltwater setup for a while now and about 3 weeks ago I finally dove in, I bought a 90 gallon set up that's been extablished for a couple years and it's a perfect blank canvas.  Going to the Reef Fest this past weekend was the best thing I could have done for myself, I learned a lot and am now ready to make this fun.  And plus I joined this awesome club (from what everyone says).

Date Posted: November 14 2011 at 10:34am
Welcome to Mike and Mandy and to you as Well Greecelover! The Reef Fest was the best thing you did! And yes this is the best club ever! Dont hesitate to ask questions! lets see this 90 gallon tank of yours ! PICTURES!!!!!

Glade to have you both here!

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: November 14 2011 at 2:44pm
Glad to have you here.  Be sure to catch the December meeting and soak up the aquatic love.

Adam

-------------

Posted By: deejayk
Date Posted: January 07 2012 at 8:48pm
Hey everyone. I have wanted to get involved with fish for years and finally made the move. I am extremely excited to be part of this. I was at the meeting last week and decided to join the club. I just added my corals to my first tank today and am excited to see what i can do with it. If anyone has any advice i am open to any suggestions. 

Date Posted: January 07 2012 at 9:36pm
Welcome deejayk
See tips below

-------------

Date Posted: January 07 2012 at 11:20pm
Welcome to all and best advice i can give is read read read ev post here and if u have questions ask ......all here are great at responding to our questions 

Posted By: ReefKeeper78
Date Posted: January 23 2012 at 4:45am
Hello to everyone, I am new to this forum, and just got a tank set up after not doing it for about 5 years. Hoping to be able to meet some people and maybe trade some things (frags), get some ideas and have some fun! I currently have a 180g reef with 60 sump though 1/3 is converted to a refugium,  most of the mini bells and whistles, ASM G2, turbo twist 18w, Mag 12 return, 3 power heads need a 4th. Look forward to talking with everyone. Will put up a pic of the new tank, though I have a bunch more fish now and the powder blue is dead....will try and take another one..Would love to hear what you all think any suggestions are welcome.  Love all things about the ocean I am a certified Diver and can't think of a better way to spend my time.

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: January 23 2012 at 3:00pm
Welcome! Nice tank:)

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: hydro phoenix
Date Posted: January 24 2012 at 7:00am
Hey! My name is Faith, I go by Hydro Phoenix b/c that is the name I got when I started diving. Anywho, I'm originally from CT and moved to SLC when I was 22. I grew up on the shore so naturally I have a tank. I started in the hobby 2 yrs ago when I asked my husband what he wanted for Valentines Day, he said an anemone. So the next day I started burning up the card! He was livid but I was blissed out. I came across this club when a man chatted with me one day as I was eyeing a gorgonian down at a fish store that is now exclusively Ciclids(sp?) In Draper by Pirate O's. He said I should check it out. So I googled it, and now I can't get enough of it, or the people.Embarrassed I am currently in school trying for my Assoc in Bio. And I'm doing well so far. 

-------------
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies

Posted By: ztuhcsnegob
Date Posted: February 23 2012 at 5:58pm
I am brand new to the salt water world. I have kept fresh water fish tanks with my dad since I was little and own 2 gold fish currently. :) I just bought a 12 gallon eclipse tank to start off small and see if I like it or not. I am making the change to salt water because the fish are more lively, more colorful, and seems like a lot more fun.

-------------
Life is good

Posted By: Calli
Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 10:46am
Star Hello everyone my name is Calli I am new to the the club, but have been loving this sport for about 5 years now.  About a year ago we decided to spend our childrens inheritance to remove a wall and install a beautiful 220 gallon reef tank.  Life was good my tank was thriving with happy fish, beautiful colorful corals, and different virtabrates that I just loved!  I was sick when my tank crashed and have learned a lot this last year as I have had to basically start over.  The computer is new to me, I just DO NOT like it!  What happen to just picking up the phone??  I have found 1 store in Bountiful (Mountain Shadow Marine) that has had the knowledge and experience to help me.  The owner (Randy) has been good enough to come to my home and they babysit my fish for me in the summer, but other than Bird World I know of nothing else my way.  Any suggestions of stores in Davis County you trust?  Thanks! 

-------------
Kris

Date Posted: February 26 2012 at 2:18pm
Welcome Calli!
Lots of great stores around, and great tanks to see. Just here in Bountiful, West Bountiful, North Salt Lake, Centerville and Farmington you'll find dozens of club members.
I'd put April 22nd down on your calendar and be ready to see some great tanks.

Nice to have you here.
Adam

-------------

Posted By: Gary K
Date Posted: March 19 2012 at 3:59pm
Hi, I'm Gary Kovacs. I got started in salt water in the early 1970's. I was mailed some salt and two live seahorses. I don't remember any instructions. Guess how well that turned out.Cry 

My first real salt tank was one that I set-up in my store, Fins-Feathers-N-Fur.
With the help of many hobbyists, and an experienced employee, things went well.

Along with Bryce Wilson, I owned Pet Planet.

I worked for Timpview Analytical Laboratories for 7 years, where I did environmental testing. Following that, I set-up the Laboratory for Tooele City's water treatment plant .

I currently have a 54 gal. corner tank, an empty 54 gal. corner tank which I am planning to use as a sump/refugium. Also, a twenty gal. tank, a 12 gal. Nanocube ( quarantine tank ), and a 5 gal. that I'm using to try to get some snails to reproduce.

I am currently unemployed, and am cleaning/maintaining tanks for extra income. If you are too busy to do your own, or know someone who needs help, please call me at 801-944-5523

Posted By: Joyce
Date Posted: April 03 2012 at 9:30pm
Hi,

My name is Joyce Anderson.  I am a teacher in a school district in the Salt Lake Valley.  My husband and I purchased our first reef aquarium in November.  We had had a great time learning about this incredible hobby.  We have lost a few life forms along the way but have had a great deal of success as well.  I love marine life and always wanted to dive.  I got my wish about 7 years ago when I learned to scuba dive.  My other desire was to own a saltwater aquarium.  I love to read, spend time with my family, travel, scrapbook (when I have time).  I have a concern about my aquarium which I hope someone will be able to help me with. I will post my concern in another area in the forum.  

Posted By: wchris
Date Posted: May 17 2012 at 6:41pm
Well hello there! I would like to drop by and say Hi. I am new to the forum though have been lurking around for quite a long time already.  Having been in the interest and inclination toward the outdoors, it was a great idea to actually bring the love for it at the confines of my home.

Now I have a lot of aquarium setups.  And I am hoping to expand my collection and do more things with it.

Date Posted: May 17 2012 at 7:00pm
Most hobbyist here are always willing to open their homes and let you look and ask all the questions you would like . I have seen many great set ups and have gained so much knowledge in this hobby . I still consider myself a rookie with enough knowledge to be dangerous to my self . LOL  But any are always welcome to see what I have and talk salt ...

Posted By: jdubb925
Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 4:22pm
Hey everybody, Im Justin. I moved here to Utah in December and got married about 2 weeks ago. I had a Salt water tank set up in my room before i left for my mission to Peru, I got home to all my equipment stuffed into boxes in my closet. SO i brought it all up here with me, my wife is now begging me to setup a Seahorse tank. I am reallyt excited i found this forum.

-------------
Justin W.

Posted By: reefdmd
Date Posted: June 10 2012 at 10:59pm
Hey guys I just wanted to say hi and hope to contribute as well as gain information from this forum! Hope everyones tanks are doing well

Posted By: deepgreen
Date Posted: August 20 2012 at 2:56am
Hi there. I don't know if anybody in the WMAS remembers me, but I was one of the original members of the club. There were three or four of us at the first meeting. I apologize for not remembering your names, the gentleman's house was in No. Ogden. One of you lived in Kearns.
We had a raffle at one of our meetings and I bought 1ticket and won a complete 25 gl tank setup. Once we went to GARF, to meet some publish authors.I'll end now. Please feel free to email me if you remember me. Dave Foster

Date Posted: August 20 2012 at 9:31am
Welcome back Dave! Great to have you here again! 

-------------
Next meeting:

Posted By: deepgreen
Date Posted: August 25 2012 at 9:30am
Hi Mark, I would like to know if you remember me I used to come to the meetings way back when, I was actually at the very first meeting of our "club", we met at a gentleman's home in No. Ogden. Fast forward a few years later I used to come with Tom Miller. You nominated me for president of the club, this was about 1997. Please reply to [email protected]

Date Posted: September 05 2012 at 9:07pm
Dave Foster!!!!  Oh my goodness.  I would absolutely love to talk with you.  Please tell me you'll be at the meeting Thursday?  If not, I need to call you.  Having you all of the sudden show up here is fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Inthenameofweez
Date Posted: November 29 2012 at 1:04pm
Hoping to make it out to a meeting. Where and when do they occur? Either way, I'm Clayton Sunley and I'm here because of the beautiful outcome of the hardwork. It's so refreshing to create something so amazing. Can't wait to have a working ecosystem in my living room.

-------------
-Clayton

Posted By: BobC63
Date Posted: November 30 2012 at 8:16am
Clayton -

Welcome to WMAS! Clap

Our next meeting is Tuesday, Dec 4th @ the Rose Garden House in Sugarhouse Park

- We will be featuring Aviad Ben-Zekry from Red Sea Pharma as our Guest Speaker

- This meeting is also our Annual Holiday Pot luck Dinner Social & Food Drive

- You can read all about it here:

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60146&title=december-4th-holiday-dinner-avaid-benzekry" rel="nofollow - http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60146&title=december-4th-holiday-dinner-avaid-benzekry

And check out our ad on ksl.com for even more info:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=23144125&cat=371" rel="nofollow - http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=23144125&cat=371

Hope to see you there!

-------------
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: November 30 2012 at 6:04pm
Welcome Clayton!

-------------

Posted By: Scotta
Date Posted: December 23 2012 at 9:40pm
Hello fellow reefers!

I just wanted to introduce myself briefly, my name is Scott Stewart.

I've been keeping a 29g Biocube for about a year now, and in that time have upgraded most of it. I've done the rapidled mod, upgraded the return pump and loc-line'd the return nozzle, installed a Tunze 9002 skimmer, and run GFO in my intank basket.

My reefing experience is woefully limited, hence my motivation to join the club... and the up-coming fragfest may have played a role as well :)

I look forward to becoming acquainted with everybody, and making good use of the experience that you all have to offer!

-------------
Scott

"No wet no fun!" - A genuine Jamaican in Jamaica

Date Posted: December 24 2012 at 1:25pm
Welcome Scott!

-------------

Date Posted: December 24 2012 at 1:31pm
Hi Scott!  Welcome.  Enjoy the ride, hopefully see you soon.

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Dionysus
Date Posted: December 24 2012 at 4:00pm
welcome! If you have some pictures that would be awesome, sounds like a good setup!

-------------
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56607&title=dionysus-tank-build" rel="nofollow - My Tank Progress =)

Posted By: Scotta
Date Posted: December 25 2012 at 6:56pm
Ask, and I shall oblige. I started a http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60985&title=a-more-detailed-introduction" rel="nofollow - separate topic to introduce myself more thoroughly. I am seriously excited to have finally taken the plunge and sought out some other fish-nerds!

Thanks for the welcome, yall Embarrassed

-------------
Scott

"No wet no fun!" - A genuine Jamaican in Jamaica

Posted By: dholyoak
Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 11:07am
Hi I'm Daniel Holyoak , new to Utah Reef's I attended the last meeting and enjoyed listening the the speaker form RED SEA.  Could you please add me as a paid member for 2013

Date Posted: December 28 2012 at 12:39pm
Welcome!

-------------

Posted By: mandjhaley
Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 1:17pm
Hello,

Technically not new, but back after a long absence.

I am starting a "coral nursery", a place to grow out frags. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm happy to be able to tap into the extensive knowledge and experience of those in the group.

Thanks in advance for your help!

JH

Date Posted: January 16 2013 at 4:34pm
Welcome back Joycelyn!

-------------

Posted By: Crash2070
Date Posted: February 07 2013 at 6:19am
Hey, I'm new to the hobby, My previous experience comes from watching my friend build his 20 gallon nano. first tank I have I'm sharing with my dad. its a 125 gallon with a 55 sump, bubbl- magus curve seven and a very very sweet apex controller among some other items. Brand new tank, got it up and running now and now have 3 green cromies, a yellow tang, a bunch of hermits, and a peppermint shrimp

Date Posted: April 09 2013 at 9:44am
Welcome Crash! Glad you are here and have found this amazing hobby! 

J

-------------
Next meeting:

Posted By: Larobley
Date Posted: April 20 2013 at 6:53pm
I am new  I have been into fresh Water. I picked up a 24G JBJ used and looking forward to learning. the tank was  pretty much ready to go.  So looking forward to attending my first meeting. And thanks to Robbie for telling me about  Utah Reefs.

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: April 20 2013 at 8:32pm
Welcome!

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: samgreenly
Date Posted: July 14 2013 at 10:40pm
Hi, I'm Sam from phoenix, az. I'm new to this forum. 

Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 7:34am
Welcome Sam,
Do you have a reef tank?

Originally posted by deepgreen deepgreen wrote:

Hi Mark, I would like to know if you remember me I used to come to the meetings way back when, I was actually at the very first meeting of our "club", we met at a gentleman's home in No. Ogden. Fast forward a few years later I used to come with Tom Miller. You nominated me for president of the club, this was about 1997. Please reply to [email protected]
Aloha Dave,
Sorry for the unusually late response, but I'll email you too. I was away in Hawaii for a few years spending time in a much bigger tank. Wink
It's good to hear from you.
That meeting at Joe and Cindy Jones home in Ogden was actually the second club meeting. There were about 10 of us there if I recall correctly. I remember I drove 7 of us up in my van. Joe has since passed away and we have not heard from Cindy in quite a while.
The person in Kearns was Tim Weidauer. Tim originated the idea for the club and was president for the first three years, 1995-1998. Joe was president the following year and I took the job for two years after that.
Tim now lives near Portland with his wife and daughter
Last I knew, Tom Miller was in Logan and still had reef tanks.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime

-------------

Date Posted: July 15 2013 at 7:54pm
Welcome Sam!

-------------

Posted By: sleepingdeep
Date Posted: July 23 2013 at 8:58am
My Name is Derek, im from Logan, and am currently only in freshwater tanks, but would love to make the jump to salt water tanks someday. 

Posted By: BobC63
Date Posted: July 23 2013 at 10:10am
Originally posted by sleepingdeep sleepingdeep wrote:

My Name is Derek, im from Logan, and am currently only in freshwater tanks, but would love to make the jump to salt water tanks someday. 

Jump in! The (salt) water is fine... Big smile

-------------
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Posted By: superman1981
Date Posted: July 23 2013 at 3:57pm
Hi my name is Tim... I have a problem. I sold my 125 gal almost 3 years ago and I've been trying to recover from my former reef-addiction. The problem... I really want a big tank again.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure this is the 4th or 5th time I've introduced myself on this thread, so maybe this is my way of saying... I'm coming back :)

-------------
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78639&title=tims-65-gallon-build" rel="nofollow - build thread

Date Posted: July 23 2013 at 7:47pm
Hey tim, welcome back!

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2013 at 5:09pm
Thanks Mike! I though there would be a little more excitement about the prodigal son returning, but I guess 3 years of Adam's mocking me while I have been away has tarnished my reputation.

On well, such is life. I have cleared a spot in my home office and hope to start up a "crappy reef" soon. I may even start out with the club 20 gallon monolith that Adam so kindly dropped off on my driveway.

-------------

6 gal nanocube
65 gal http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78639&title=tims-65-gallon-build" rel="nofollow - build thread

Date Posted: July 29 2013 at 8:12pm
AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Adam
ps- that Adam allegedly dropped off

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2013 at 8:31pm
Make sure and post photos and bring us along for the build!

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2013 at 9:21pm
Mike, I'm afraid my bad reef habits will corrupt new members... As a side note, I haven't done a water change on my 6 gal nano in 3 years :)

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Posted By: tink
Date Posted: July 30 2013 at 1:15am
Hi, my name is Katie and I'm very new to this hobby (7 months or so) and already find myself addicted! I was kinda adopted into saltwater through my boyfriend who has allowed me to help him rebuilt 2 of his 3 tanks together we have 4 tanks and over 500 gallons of saltwater!! Our reef tank is a 160gl with a 75gl sump coolest part of this tank is we have a school of 5 tangs! The second tank is a 200gl (not sure the sump) eel tank housing a 4ft tessalated and a 4ft Japanese eel. We have another 55gl with a 29gl sump eel tank housing a snowflake eel, fimbriated eel, trigger, and a foxface. I just recently bought a 12gl nano for my home that was already established with Tampa Bay live rock which the previous owners had just let grow. This tank is probably my favorite because it's the closest to the ocean as I can get. I'm very excited to join and hopefully can offer all my research to others as well as learn from others!

-------------
Creating my own ocean

Posted By: Dionysus
Date Posted: July 30 2013 at 2:33am
Originally posted by tink tink wrote:

Hi, my name is Katie and I'm very new to this hobby (7 months or so) and already find myself addicted! I was kinda adopted into saltwater through my boyfriend who has allowed me to help him rebuilt 2 of his 3 tanks together we have 4 tanks and over 500 gallons of saltwater!! Our reef tank is a 160gl with a 75gl sump coolest part of this tank is we have a school of 5 tangs! The second tank is a 200gl (not sure the sump) eel tank housing a 4ft tessalated and a 4ft Japanese eel. We have another 55gl with a 29gl sump eel tank housing a snowflake eel, fimbriated eel, trigger, and a foxface. I just recently bought a 12gl nano for my home that was already established with Tampa Bay live rock which the previous owners had just let grow. This tank is probably my favorite because it's the closest to the ocean as I can get. I'm very excited to join and hopefully can offer all my research to others as well as learn from others!

welcome!

-------------
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56607&title=dionysus-tank-build" rel="nofollow - My Tank Progress =)

Date Posted: July 30 2013 at 6:10am
Welcome Tink! I look forward to hearing about your tanks.

-------------

Date Posted: July 30 2013 at 6:11am
Originally posted by sleepingdeep sleepingdeep wrote:

Welcome Derek, stick around here long and you will be making the jump before you know it!

-------------

Posted By: Particle
Date Posted: October 20 2013 at 9:56pm
What's up yall - I'm Josh - live in SLC. Had a 40g breeder reef tank and a couple smaller tanks (15-20?) way back in high school days and haven't had a tank since due to moving lots and other priorities. Finally settled down in Salt Lake and bought a bigger house two years ago, so figured we'll be here awhile and it's time to start a tank again. So 20 years since my last tank and here we go again! Lots has changed but it feels pretty familiar too. 

Anyway, got a RSM250 that's about 10 weeks old right now. Seems to be doing quite well! Slowly adding livestock, up to a couple of ocellaris clowns, bunch of clean-up crew, zoas, mushrooms, star polyps. It's good to be back (although man I forgot how expensive this hobby is!). One thing that's really surprised me is the crazy high rate of evaporation, even with a closed hood. Utah is DRY. 

Date Posted: October 21 2013 at 6:00am
Welcome! That RSM250 is a sweet tank, I can't wait to see photos!

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2013 at 9:17am
Welcome Josh! 

-------------
Next meeting:

Posted By: Igotatank
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 3:43pm
Hello all!! Name is Eric. Getting back in the hobby again

Posted By: Jeepkid
Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 3:53pm
Welcome Eric. What kinda tank do you have/had?

-------------
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"

Date Posted: November 17 2013 at 4:07pm
Welcome Eric!

-------------

Posted By: JaceTheAce
Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 8:48pm
Hi all! My name is Jason and my wife and I moved to SLC from Cincinnati in June. Because of the move, I had to get rid of my old biocube but I hope to get a new reef tank up and running soon!

Date Posted: November 18 2013 at 9:07pm
Welcome Jason!

-------------

Posted By: Igotatank
Date Posted: November 20 2013 at 2:48pm
I had 125 gallon reef. Now I'm working on a 33 long and 20 long

Posted By: T- Holk
Date Posted: December 03 2013 at 2:18am
Adam and other fish lovers, I'm glad to be back.  YEARS ago I had a 125 reef tank, but my TV went out, and the wife made me sell it so my kids could watch Sponge Bob :-)

Now I am back and I'm setting up a little Fluval 12 gal tank in my kitchen for the fam... OK... ME!

It is just starting to cycle and I hope to be putting a fish in it on Christmas for the kids when they wake up.  I currently just have stock stuff that it came with in there, but someday want to figure out a better lighting system so I can add coral.  I have about 6 pounds of live rock right now and also have live sand, so we'll see how things go these next few weeks.

Been out of it awhile,,, any advice?  Know anyone who has live rock they want to help a brother out as cheap as possible - Looking to add another 6 pounds...

Glad to be back - There is nothing like salt water fish tanks... And where it's going in my living room is RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF EVERYTHING on the island counter top in between the kitchen and living room... Should be sweet!

Still getting used to this website, but from what I remember, THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!!

-------------
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice"
-Geddy Lee

Date Posted: December 03 2013 at 5:45am
Welcome back!

Watch the Aquarium Related Classified section there is live rock for sale there all the time.

-------------

Posted By: Cowan
Date Posted: June 02 2014 at 10:48pm
Hey Everyone,
Just wanted to say hi real quick....been in the hobby for only a few months, but have met some really great people that have been a ton of help. 
I got a RSM 250, bunch of live rock, a few corals and some fish...looking forward to all that the community has to offer

-------------
RSM 250

Date Posted: June 03 2014 at 6:03am
Welcome Cowan!

Maybe you can make it to our meeting Thursday (directions should be on the home page) It is a Fragstock with 12 coral vendors and some great deals!

-------------

Posted By: akv123
Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 5:06am
Hi my name is Aaron

I have actually known about you guys for a long time. My dad and younger brother were big into reef tanks about 10 years ago and I use to go along with them on the reef tours you guys have. I have even come here to look at pictures and stuff but never registered and never been real serious about my tanks in the past. 

That all changed recently when I pulled my old ehiem glass aquarium out of the closet and cleaned it up. I looked at it for a while then made the mistake of putting water in it... Its small but in the past month I have upgraded the light fixture twice. Ordered my first ever canister filter and about 800 dollars of other junk. I am even in the process of a DIY swing arm LED hanger for the new fixture I got coming. 

The best decision I have made so far was taking the girlfriend/future wife up to bird world and getting her to pick out a coral. She picked a cool hammer coral and now I can pretty much do or buy whatever I can afford, as long as we go back and get one of those "cute" clams she saw in there. Im not trying to pimp a store, I just live by the capitol so its close. 

I am really wanting to move away from the LFS and get into a community where I can buy, and maybe someday, sell cool things, especially frags, with regular people. (plus I really don't want a tank full of pale purple, tan, and green livestock, so that eliminates most local stores) I'm hoping that is what this group is about. I would love to go to meetings and meet peeps and have somewhere to go to get 3 pounds of live sand and not a 15 lb bag that I'm never going to use. At the very lease I would rather give coral frags away that I no longer want, to people that I know, than take them to a pet store and have them try to tell me how worthless they are and offer me peanuts just to go back a few days later and they want 80$ for my "I get those in all the time, average looking frag" that I had to buy off of ebay because I can't find anything like that here in Utah. OK, rant over. sorry.  

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know you guys and grow my tank.  Smile

Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 6:58am

Looking forward to meeting you, again.

Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 7:24am
I remember the Vandermeyden's!

Adam

-------------

Posted By: akv123
Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 7:42am
Thanks guys. I was wondering if they were part of this group or if they just knew a bunch a people because they were always buying stuff. Neither of them have tanks anymore. 

Jared, the younger brother, had a 165gal? tank while he lived with my dad and down in Lehi for a while but he sold it when he went to dental school. He just barely graduated 18 months ago and took a job in Texas. My pops, Kim, had a 155gal? that he kinda let go to ruin after my brother moved out forever ago. He is really big into birds and ponds now. He is installing a diesel radiator on the roof of his house as a solar water heater so he can keep his pond plants going longer in the season and start them sooner next year. and Im just the other son that never had a tank over 30 gallons but I will be out of school in 9 months and am looking to transition from a tiny aquarium in my apartment to a semi serious frag machine tank when I get a house. 

Posted By: Hogie
Date Posted: July 17 2014 at 8:06am
Nice strategy with the LFS! My wife also wants a "cute blue clam."

Posted By: elden
Date Posted: July 18 2014 at 11:22am
"hey guys...
i am new comer here so let welcome me...
i am just looking for some interesting things and i am pretty much sure that here i will get them... share some interesting things with me........"

http://www.laptopscreendirect.com/" rel="nofollow - Laptop Screen replacement

Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 5:49am
Aloha Elden,

Here are some interesting things I can share with you.
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244" rel="nofollow - http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

Welcome to our group

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 10:27am
LOL Mark, didn't even read that intro did you ?  ;)

Date Posted: July 19 2014 at 8:51pm
LOL

Posted By: Molli
Date Posted: July 29 2014 at 3:49pm
Just wanted to say hello again.   My tank was taken down several month ago because I was planning to leave Utah.  Plans changed so I will be here at least another year.  I'm anxious to get back into the hobby and get the tank put up again. 

Date Posted: July 29 2014 at 3:53pm
That's cool!Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: wkwan
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 12:09pm
Hello everyone, my name is Wenson and I am a new hobbyist in the Salt Lake area. I have been keeping freshwater fish for years but only recently got into the salt water side. I currently have three tanks set up, a 55 gallon cichlid tank, a small 24 gallon coral nanocube, and a new 120 gallon tank that I plan to do a mixed reef in. The largest tank is in the final stages of cycling which is why I am joining the forum as I expect I will need to lean heavily on all of your expertise when it comes to filling and maintaining it. Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice.

More about myself, I am 25 years old and currently happily engaged. So far the fiancee is supportive of my hobby as long as I keep everything well maintained and looking clean. I try to do as much research as I can on anything I add to my system and love DIY projects that let me personalize my tanks. I am always happy to help out as well so if you need help, feel free to ask. I am new to forums so if I step out of line, please let me know.

On a final note, I am setting up the refugium for my 120 gallon so if anyone has some spare trimmings of macro algae that you don't need, please let me know. Happy to travel.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net