Print Page | Close Window

Heading to Hill AFB very soon!

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Introduce Yourself
Forum Description: Introduce Yourself the the club.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48785
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 10:34pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Heading to Hill AFB very soon!
Posted By: ReefdUp
Subject: Heading to Hill AFB very soon!
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 10:54am
Hello all!

Like the title says, my husband and I are about to head to Hill AFB.  So, we figured it was best to join the club and start getting involved BEFORE we have to ask for help resetting up the tank!  LOL

I'm Nikki, and my husband is Will.  We're both engineers for the Air Force (I'm civilian, and he's military.)  We were supposed to arrive in July, but we just found out he's deploying, so we're heading there sooner so he can leave again. 

We're both addicts: I'm more addicted to the coral side, and he's more addicted to the setup/technology side.  We've been reefing for over 4 years, and I was VP & Prez in my old club for 3 years total.  We're also both PADI Advanced Open Water scuba certified.

Ok ok...enough chatting...time for photos!

I'm really embarrassed I don't have a new FTS, but here is our main display a year & a half ago:

My husband and I designed/built/stained the stand/canopy.  Tank is a Marineland 150g.

Sump is a custom design by us...built by us.  Skimmer is an Octopus Extreme 250

Lighting consists of 2 x 400W MH in Lumenmax Elite reflectors on IceCap ballasts with 2 x 54W T-5's on a workhorse ballast.

Flow: 2 x Vortech MP40's

Controller:  Neptune Apex w/ moonlight simulator

Media Reactor:  NextReef MR1

ATO:  DIY w/ back-up safety

Dosing:  Reefdoser Quadro w/ 2-part solution

RO/DI:  Coralife 4-stage 75GPD (better one is on the way)

QT system:  10g drilled w/ 10g sump

-------------
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Replies:
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:05am
I'm an SPS addict, but I also love rescueing corals.  Here are some of my babies:

A. Selago/Aculeus (not sure which one...old photo while back in QT)

ORA Blue Bottlebrush (old school...but a goodie!)

Blue Milli (grows an inch a month...this is a *very* old photo)

Blastomussa Wellsi

Tyree Cyphastrea Ocellina

Also have the following:

Tyree Pink Lemonade Acropora
Tyree $500 Efflo Acropora
Paletta's Pink Tip Acropora
Tub's Pink Jade Acropora
Strawberry Shortcake Acropora
Tyree Montipora Setosa
Icefire Echinata
ORA German Blue Polyp Acropora
Orange Crush Acanthastrea Echinata
Orange/Blue Acanthophyllia Deshayesiana
and many many many others....

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:08am
I mentioned above that I rescue corals.  I buy/take corals that are nearly dead...and do whatever I can to save them.  These are some of my best:

Before:

~2 months later:

Before:

Now:

Before:

Now:

Before:

Now:

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: jcoulter17
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:12am

Posted By: jwoo
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:22am
Welcome to the club! It sounds like you are going to fit in just fine here! What was your old club? I really dig the look of your tank, and your corals look awesome. We have a very active community here and do meetings once a month on the first Thursday's that are free for everyone. Feel free to come to the next one!

-------------
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 11:38am
I have to admit, I'm quite excited about being involved in the club.  It sounds like you all are crazy active - so much to do!  I'll try to take some new photos - unfortunately selling our house has taken most of our time.  We don't know exactly when we're heading out there.  Will found out about the deployment on Friday, so we could be moving late this month to the middle of June now.  I'm trying to find a job, and I'd prefer to not leave here until I have one out there.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Right now we're in Dayton, Ohio.  Our old club was the Western Ohio Reef Club, but unfortunately, politics got in the way of reefkeeping, so we left.  Dayton is just not ideal for reefkeeping.  There are only a couple of LFS around here, and the ones that are here usually have livestock covered in pests...or just have brown/dying corals they have insane prices on.  Most of our corals came from stores we travelled across the country to.  We've been to MACNA, Steve Tyree's store, etc. 

It'll be really nice to be near a ton of reefers/LFS with beautiful corals!!  How many members usually show to meetings/etc?  I saw there were like 2700 forum members?!  That's insane!!!

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:09pm
AWESOME!!!!!

It's great to have you here. Which macna's have you been to? Have we met?

We have an incredibly large club here. One of the best in the nation. You'll love it. Great people, great stores, and just a thriving hobby. Nice to have you here, can't wait to meet the two of you.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:16pm

We've only been to the Orlando 2010 MACNA - did you go?  We were pretty social there, but I have no idea if we met there...there were a *lot* of people there!! 

I'd love to get involved, but it sounds like you guys have most of the bases covered as far as DIY.  We can do acrylic work, DIY magnetic frag plugs, normal frag plugs, recharging DI resin, DIY homemade food, macroalgae (I grow Gracillaria Hagi, Ulva, & red Agar), rescueing corals, QT procedures, treating fish for various diseases (link below), and I'm really good at pest/hitchhiker ID & treatment. 

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18167069#post18167069 - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18167069#post18167069

BTW, I'm MechEng99 on Reefcentral.com

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:23pm
I don't know if we met, but I'm already very glad to hear that you are moving here. This is great! You'll be valuable resource to hobbyists, and a wonderful friend to have around.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Posted By: BnK
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:52pm
welcome and hope you enjoy our cold state lol

-------------
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 12:57pm

Hey, it's cold here in Ohio too!  (And rains and rains and rains all the time.)  I've heard Utah at least has blue skies, right?  I'll trade anything for some terrain and blue skies. 

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 1:23pm
recently no lol. yesterday I think was the best day it was in the 70's but today is cold in the 50's and raining. been like that for a while we get a day maybe two that is half decent then rain and snow lol. But normaly yea it is pretty mild winters and summers here.

-------------
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]

Posted By: Piscavore1
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 1:34pm
Welcome to the club. Sounds like you will fit right in with the group - lots of passion and know how being shared. Everyones experience is valuable in this ever morphing hobby.

I presume you are at Wright-Patterson? I have an office on Hill AFB and live nearby in Layton so should be able to help when you need it (given that I am not TDY).

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 1:40pm
Yes, we're currently at Wright-Patt.  Might need some advice soon on where to buy a house! 

Wow, I've been browsing the site all morning, and I'm absolutely shocked at the amazing stuff everyone has!  The corals are beautiful...and HUGE!  I have a feeling it's going to be a stark contrast between the aquariums here and what I'll see out there!!  Plus...all the events?!  That's nuts!  Our club just had a frag swap once a year...the rest of the time we would just go to someone's house monthly to look at their tank.  Never had a speaker (no point for about 15 active members!!) 

I heard there's the SeaBase scuba/snorkel place there?  How is that?  I know it's no ocean, but I figure if it'll get me a scuba fix, then I'm happy. 

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:07pm
I don't know where your at in Dayton but my limited comparison is that Hill home prices are higher on average. Think more of Pheasant Hill or Forest Ridge than Old NOrth Dayton. There are homes in all price ranges - part of it depends on how far you want to drive to work.

Posted By: ptronsp
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:07pm
Welcome! I look forward to getting to know you and following your setups. I love love love the fact that you save dying corals.. that is awesome! It is so rewarding to watch them come back .

Pam

Posted By: Kristine Woolsey
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:41pm
Welcome to Utah (soon). Are you looking to live on base or off base? We have a ton of Military families on our street. Layton is a great area.

-------------
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 2:50pm
Yea if you are wanting to live off base there is a few houses for rent a block below us. we live like 5 min from the main gate.

-------------

Posted By: CapnMorgan
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 3:01pm
Welcome! Great to have you here!

-------------
Steve
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40637&PID=356246" rel="nofollow - My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 3:31pm
I think we'll have to live off base with the ~200g setup we have!  I don't think the base would appreciate it...and wouldn't appreciate us setting up an RO/DI.  :)

I think we're planning to buy a house unless we don't find one to fall in love with.  Hubby says I'm not allowed to make a house purchase decision based off proximity to a LFS.  :) 

Hey CapnMorgan - I see you have a NPS reef...that's awesome!  I had a little 8g one for a while about 2 years ago, but it was too hard to get anything other than suncorals in our area (had a balanophyllia, 3 suncorals, and a gorg...that's it).  Do you have a build thread? 

Ok, newbie question...why do several of you have *Presidency under your names? 

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: Kristine Woolsey
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 3:40pm
There are TONS of houses for sale near base. Plus there is a LFS right down the street LOL.

-------------
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]

Posted By: jcoulter17
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 3:43pm

Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by jcoulter17 jcoulter17 wrote:

I had my 210g tank in base housing and had my RO set up too. This was in Fort Leonard Wood, MO. It's nice not paying for utilities on base. 

Whoa!  Hmmm...I just assumed it was like any normal rental place where anything beyond a 10g Walmart setup was banned.  Interesting...

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: May 08 2011 at 4:23pm
Welcome!!! You will love it here:)

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: jwoo
Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Reef'd Up Reef'd Up wrote:

Ok, newbie question...why do several of you have *Presidency under your names? 

Because we are part of the presidency!

You can go here to see who does what and who is on the presidency: http://utahreefs.com/index.php?q=node/1 - http://utahreefs.com/index.php?q=node/1

-------------
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Posted By: Jeremyw
Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 10:31am
Welcome... soon to Utah... I was born on the Base.... glade to have you here. Ask lots of questions we will love to answer!

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: May 09 2011 at 10:15pm

Hey CapnMorgan - I see you have a NPS reef...that's awesome!  I had a little 8g one for a while about 2 years ago, but it was too hard to get anything other than suncorals in our area (had a balanophyllia, 3 suncorals, and a gorg...that's it).  Do you have a build thread? 

I do have one however it hasn't been updated in FOREVER. I'll have to update it soon. I'm actually getting ready to move it to a new spot in a month or so, so I'll probably post the update then.

-------------
Steve
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40637&PID=356246" rel="nofollow - My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Posted By: ninja_brandon
Date Posted: May 10 2011 at 2:38pm
Welcome!  Can't wait to meet you!

Date Posted: May 10 2011 at 5:14pm
Ok, today it became official.  Will is heading out there June 1 (only a few weeks away!!)  I'm going to stay here and try to sell the house while I job hunt.  Once the house sells and/or I find a job out there, then I'll head out as well.

P.S.  Anyone need an engineer?  :-)  (Can't blame me for trying)

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: May 10 2011 at 8:01pm
What type of engineer?? EE? CS?

Date Posted: May 10 2011 at 10:23pm
Mech degree with aero experience

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: May 11 2011 at 12:09am

Ok, today it became official.  Will is heading out there June 1 (only a few weeks away!!)  I'm going to stay here and try to sell the house while I job hunt.  Once the house sells and/or I find a job out there, then I'll head out as well.

P.S.  Anyone need an engineer?  :-)  (Can't blame me for trying)

Send me your details. My buddy is a mechanical engineer at ITT composites. They do a lot of aerospace stuff for Boeing and the military, I'd be happy to pass your info along to him.

-------------
Steve
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Date Posted: May 11 2011 at 12:20am
Or you can apply online at  http://www.itt.com/ - http://www.itt.com/  but I'd still be happy to have my friend try and get you an in.

-------------
Steve
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Date Posted: May 11 2011 at 5:51am
Hmm, thanks!  I'll check them out...not familiar with them. 

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: May 11 2011 at 7:22am

Hmm, thanks!  I'll check them out...not familiar with them. 

They have a huge assembly facility right by SLC Intl. Airport. They did a lot of design and fabrication on the new UH60 airframe as well as composite components for Boeing jets and the JSF, but I know they have a ton of other projects as well. 

-------------
Steve
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Posted By: buttrflismile
Date Posted: May 11 2011 at 9:06am
Welcome to Utah. Hope to meet you at a meeting soon.... And as for the Job hunt, My husbands company is always hiring, http://www.l-3com.com/csw/Careers.aspx - http://www.l-3com.com/csw/Careers.aspx  He loves working there,

Date Posted: May 18 2011 at 9:51pm
I've heard great things about L3, and I just applied for a position out there.  Thanks! 

Steve - I checked out ITT, but they don't have any job openings right now that I'm qualified for.  I'll keep checking back.  :-)

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: philhender
Date Posted: May 19 2011 at 12:09am
I think ATK has offices in Layton... just outside HAFB. If I remember right one of our members works there too, though I cant remeber who at the moment. I'm sure they have a website you can check out... best of luck!

-------------
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge

Date Posted: May 19 2011 at 5:33am
Thanks!

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: jmtreml
Date Posted: May 19 2011 at 8:34am
I am stationed at hill... its pretty nice, and you should be able to get a job on base because there are a ton of civilians.  I am pretty sure there are more civilians than military there...lol

-------------
34 Gallon Red Sea Max

29 gallon Bio cube

Date Posted: May 29 2011 at 3:38pm
Hubby starts driving out there on Tuesday and should arrive late Thursday!  I'm staying behind for a bit until I find a job & sell/rent the house here in Ohio. 

Our plan is for Will to find a house, I'll fly out and ok it, I'll fly back, then close on the house.  Once he has the house, he'll set up a small tank and get it cycled.  I'll fly the fish/corals out in a couple batches (just in case something goes wrong with one box).  I'll then tear down the tank, kill the live rock, then move everything out...and set back up.  Hopefully we'll be back and fully operational by the beginning of August!

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 5:42pm
Well, we are both here...with a house...and the corals/fish.  Delta lost the fish/coral boxes for a couple days in the middle of this heat wave, so we had some loses.

Right now everything is in a temporary tank until the main tank is set up. 

On a side note, does anyone have a brine shrimp hatchery for sale?  My poor mandarin is in the temporary tank, and I'm sure he doesn't have enough food.  Thanks!

Can't wait to meet you all, and can't wait to get the main tank going! 

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: TriggerHappy
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 6:14pm
Welcome to your new home!

-------------
210 gallon Mixed Reef

Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 7:02pm

Well, we are both here...with a house...and the corals/fish.  Delta lost the fish/coral boxes for a couple days in the middle of this heat wave, so we had some loses.

Right now everything is in a temporary tank until the main tank is set up. 

On a side note, does anyone have a brine shrimp hatchery for sale?  My poor mandarin is in the temporary tank, and I'm sure he doesn't have enough food.  Thanks!

Can't wait to meet you all, and can't wait to get the main tank going! 

Welcome! I don't have a brine shrimp hatchery but you can always make one with an air pump some rigid tubing and an old two liter bottle Big smile. Let us know if we can be of any help! I know moving can be stressful enough without moving tanks!

-------------
Steve
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Posted By: TriggerHappy
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 7:09pm
Or grab one of these since you are so close to BSD:

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Hatchery-Dish-p183.html - BSD

These guys hatch brine shrimp almost overnight!

-------------
210 gallon Mixed Reef

Posted By: Thorn
Date Posted: August 09 2011 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by TriggerHappy TriggerHappy wrote:

Or grab one of these since you are so close to BSD:

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Hatchery-Dish-p183.html - BSD

These guys hatch brine shrimp almost overnight!

I stopped by BSD and picked up one of these last week.  They do not produce a lot of brine shrimp, but they do it quick and well.  I dropped a teaspoon of live brine shrimp in my display tank the day after I started it going. It kept producing from the same hatching for about three more days.  The yield did seem to go down then, but even then I mostly dumped it out of worry about the shells and unhatched eggs creating a smell.  I really like it.  I don't think I would rely on it for staple food on its own, but it makes a nice supplement of live brine shrimp.  And it is a lot easier than the soda bottle method.

If you need more right away, BSD does sell live shrimp also, along with lots of other food.  and they are very nice to work with.  They don't have any kind of a store, but just call and stop by.

-------------
40 Gal. Breeder - 20 L refug/sump

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 12:10am
TriggerHappy...I completely forgot about them!!  Thanks!!  CapnMorgan, I used to have one of the ol' coke bottle hatcheries, but the hubby got a bit sick of how trashy looking they were.  LOL. 

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 12:45am

TriggerHappy...I completely forgot about them!!  Thanks!!  CapnMorgan, I used to have one of the ol' coke bottle hatcheries, but the hubby got a bit sick of how trashy looking they were.  LOL. 

Yeah they aren't the best looking by any means lol Embarrassed. In any case great to have you here, and I can't wait to see pics of you tanks all up and running here in Utah!

-------------
Steve
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Posted By: zippeay
Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 8:00am
I work and live close to the base.  From what I've read it looks like you have already moved here.  If you still need help setting stuff up let me know if nothing else I'd like to see your tank.  Where did you end up finding a house? 

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 9:31am
Thanks for the welcomes and advice everyone!

We purchased a house in South Weber (outside the wind zone), and so far we love it.  Our neighbors have had us out to several different city activities (picnic & game show night, a 5k/10k race, and then just a neighborhood meet & greet.)  Plus, we're only one exit from the base, so that makes it really convenient.  We also went hiking up Adam's Canyon, which is a convenient 5 mi from our home.  Never thought I could find hiking so close!

Now for the important details - the tanks!  Right now everything is in a 40g breeder temporary tank.  Since Delta lost my boxes, everything is either dead or poo brown.  I lost my purple tang, strawberry shortcake, and my ORA Hawkins...*sad*.  We had quite a bit of RTN as well, but it has all stopped, and everything is starting to color back up. 

The 150g tank is set up in the finished basement (wasn't going to risk that thing on the first floor).  The plastic brace on the top of the 150g needs to be repaired before water can go in...but the RO/DI doesn't arrive until Monday.  Anyway, the 150g is set up as a 360 degree view, so I'm excited for that.  Last house it was set up only as a 2-sided view.

While on the topic of the 150g, I'm looking for some very specific rock shapes.  Can anyone around here cut rock?  I'd like 2 slabs that are about 6" wide by 2" thick by 20" tall.     

Since we couldn't have the 150g tank on the first floor, the hubby is starting to plan out a smaller tank for the entryway.  It's a top secret project, but I can say that it'll have some of the most unusual species in it.  My guess is it'll be about a 30g cube or something.  :)

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: August 10 2011 at 9:38am
Sounds really cool, glad everything work out for you.  I dated a girl that lived in South Weber and her apartment faced the canyon, holy crap was it cold and windy!  Glad you were smart enough to stay away from that area. 

Posted By: arthuriv
Date Posted: August 12 2011 at 1:55am
Welcome!! Sorry to hear about your losses! If you need anything or help just let me know?

-------------
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016

Posted By: Summertop
Date Posted: August 12 2011 at 10:07am
Welcome...As for getting cool shaped rock, check out:
http://www.cerameco.com - Cerameco
They are located in Salt Lake City.

-------------
===========

Shawn Winterbottom

Date Posted: August 20 2011 at 11:05pm
Thanks everyone!

Aquarium brace was fixed, and the new RO/DI arrived (now I have two that need to go...upgraded this time.)

Now we're just waiting to have our house modified for hobby.  Never thought I'd actually say that.... 

We're getting bids on having our foundation drilled to add plumbing to our 2nd basement.  Once we get that finished, we can hook up the RO/DI finally and actually get the main tank up and running.  (I really hate buying RO/DI water when I have three units sitting here...aargh) 

And if you're wondering what a 2nd basement is...so are we.  No joke, we have a solid concrete bunker under our garage.  We figured we'd add some plumbing and finish it off...with part of it being a huge fish room.  :-) 

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 12:05am
My friend that just built a house used a space under her front porch in the basement as a solid concrete room I guess for cold storage:) All I could think was wow this is a great space for fish stuff lol.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 6:51am
Nice!  Ours is similar, but our "cold storage" is entirely under the garage with a separate cold storage room under the front porch.   

I have to say that so far the cold storage area is working awesome as a fish room - no need for a chiller!  Might need more heaters in the winter though....

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 9:56am
Let me know when you decide to sell your RO units.  I need one badly!

Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 8:34pm
I have a 75gpd day that has all new filters still in the package...not sure how old the membrane is (but it's less than 3 years).  I have another membrane to go with it...and I know it has less than 3 years on it as well.  I'll get it cleaned up and get some photos.

I also have a 25gpd RO unit for household water.  I was going to sell it since it came with the house until I realized it's only 25gpd - not much use for one that small for aquarium use (not to mention it doesn't have a DI).  Guess I'll keep it.   

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: August 21 2011 at 11:23pm
RO units need to be used or the membrane will foul with bacteria growth which clogs it up and makes it useless. Don't let it sit idle. I'd use it or sell it.

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: August 22 2011 at 4:13pm
I'm aware...thanks anyway.  That's why I'm selling the 75gpd one.  I have very little history on the 2nd membrane coming with it (friend said she bought the wrong membrane, gave it to me, and it has sat in its open packaging...but I don't know if it was ever used.)  Regardless, I don't think it's an issue with the price I'm selling the unit at. 

The 25gpd one I'm keeping for home use and replacing everything on.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: August 22 2011 at 10:45pm
This is a noob questions but can you replace the membrane?  I'm guessing not or you would probably do that instead of buying a new one but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Date Posted: August 23 2011 at 5:41am
Oh yes...quite simple...very similar to replacing the other filters.  I regularly replaced all normal filters, but the membrane usually lasts for about 3 years depending on use.  My TDS meter quit working and I wasn't having any problems, so I just kept using the RO/DI as it was.  They cost about $25-30, depending where you buy.  I'm asking $50 for the unit (will post pics & specs later), so you'd have a full RO/DI setup for about $75.  I can show you how to replace all the filters/membranes as well. 

We wanted to upgrade to a unit with a built-in dual TDS meter and pressure guage.  So, we did.  Previous RO/DI was fine...just wanted more features.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: daranged
Date Posted: August 29 2011 at 8:48pm
i would be intrested in the unit if it dont sale

Posted By: russianrick
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 3:37pm
Where do you buy an RO membrane for $30?  Most places I have seen charge about as much for a replacement membrane as for an entire filter setup.

-------------
In Soviet Russia, Fish collect YOU!

Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by russianrick russianrick wrote:

Where do you buy an RO membrane for $30?  Most places I have seen charge about as much for a replacement membrane as for an entire filter setup.

I've bought mine on Amazon the past few times with no problems.  The standard Dow Filmtec 75gpd membranes are $25.39 + free shipping right now. 

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 4:44pm

I've bought mine on Amazon the past few times with no problems.  The standard Dow Filmtec 75gpd membranes are $25.39 + free shipping right now. 

What type of filter do you have that uses those filters?  Is it a DOW filter?

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 5:32pm
let me know when you would like to sell it.

Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 6:44pm
Most reef (and residential systems) 75gpd RO/DI systems use a standard DOW Filmtec 75gpd filter...which is what I buy and have...typically from Amazon since they're pretty inexpensive.

I'll probably get some people mad at me for saying this, but "Reef" RO/DI systems aren't really at all specialized to "reefs".  They're just RO/DI systems that are sold by aquarium companies and marketed with the "reef" description.  You can buy the filters/membranes anywhere.  RO/DI systems are used in all sorts of industries, and in some industries, the prices are less expensive.  

Zippeay - sorry...had company in town.  Will get pics ASAP and post it up.    

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:39pm

I'll probably get some people mad at me for saying this, but "Reef" RO/DI systems aren't really at all specialized to "reefs".  They're just RO/DI systems that are sold by aquarium companies and marketed with the "reef" description.  You can buy the filters/membranes anywhere.  RO/DI systems are used in all sorts of industries, and in some industries, the prices are less expensive.

You'll never make me mad saying that certain products are marketed at higher prices just by putting a label on them that they are for reef aquariums.  It is no secret that reefkeepers are made of moneyWink.  When I was setting up my tank initially I bought some 100% silicone to help seal up any potential leaky areas in my plumbing.  It turns out that a big cartridge of it at Home Depot costs just a few dollars, but if you buy a small tube that is labeled as aquarium sealant, it will cost you triple.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net