Print Page | Close Window

120g of Goodness (2/8/12)

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Tank Threads
Forum Description: A place to show off your tank build.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51025
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 4:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 120g of Goodness (2/8/12)
Posted By: Quickness
Subject: 120g of Goodness (2/8/12)
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 2:40am
Well I thought I would post up a sneak peak of the start of my new setup.  This time I will be doing the build thread the right way and taking pictures as I go.  I currently have a 90g which some of you have seen.

This I decided to get so I could have a bigger and deeper tank.  And can learn from my mistakes that I have already made with my 90g.  The new tank is only 30 gallons larger, but it is still a larger tank.  Tongue

The build will not be starting right away, but thought it would be nice to post up a sneak peek of what my plans are for my next setup.  After I get this ready to go I will be selling the 90g.

-------------
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Replies:
Posted By: pgravis
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 8:34am
Nice! That looks like a sweet setup

-------------
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com

Posted By: Jeremyw
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 9:10am
Nice! Why are you not setting it up right away? Excited to see what you do with it!

-------------
Next meeting:

Posted By: Kristine Woolsey
Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 9:29am
I like the deeper tank. think this tank will look good when done.

-------------
Kristine | Layton, UT | e-mail: [email protected]

Date Posted: August 30 2011 at 11:49am
The reason for not setting it up right away is I want to have new plumbing put in, really decide where I want this tank to go, and funds at the moment. I am pretty excited to get this one up and running.

-------------
Molon Labe

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 4:47pm
Picked up a 6 bulb T5 fixture for the new setup, and will be bringing everything home real soon.  Trying to debate on sanding down the stand and canopy to go with a different stain.  I like the color of what it is now, but really like dark color stains.

Also thinking of what fish are going to go in the setup.  I think when I start to transfer everything over I will sell my Yellow tang and Coral Beauty. 

That will leave me with

Kole Tang
Lawnmower Blenny
Bi-Color Blenny
Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp
Cleaner Wrasse
2 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Harlequien Shrimp

2 fish that I already have decided on are a Blue Hippo Tang and a Sailfin Tang.  If anyone has any suggestion please chime in.  Keep in mind I am only planning on getting reef safe fish.  Will be staying away fish that are considered "with caution"

-------------
Molon Labe

Posted By: ptronsp
Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 5:03pm
NO NO NO, don't stain it darker :)... I love the look of the stand and canopy the way it is now.
 Very nice!
 Pam

-------------

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Posted By: DLindquist
Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 6:45pm
I say go darker. We did with our 265 and love the way it turned out.

-------------
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 9:06pm
Maybe it's just me, but I don't tend to like dark woods..Confused

-------------

Posted By: davser
Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

I say go darker. We did with our 265 and love the way it turned out.

I would also go with a darker stain such as cherry not to dark but not to light

-------------
It's not about what you know but about who you know

Posted By: BobC63
Date Posted: September 21 2011 at 10:28pm
Looks sweet! ClapClapClap

Take lots of pics and give lots of details!!!

-------------
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 1:08pm
Will be taking lots of pics and details for sure.  This is not going to be a quick setup.  I am going to do things right. 
I do think that I may coat the overflows with sand and shell but those would be the only thing that I do cover.  

-------------
Molon Labe

Posted By: Tanuki
Date Posted: September 22 2011 at 3:05pm
stain should depend on the rest of your furniture, wall color, and flooring.  Do what you want.  Looks like a good tank man.  I can't wait to see the progress!

-------------
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)

Posted By: Akira
Date Posted: September 23 2011 at 1:28am
Love the look of natural wood but if u like darker i also like the depth of a dark dark cherry . Looks like a beautiful set up :) 

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 3:06am
So just a quick update.. I decided to keep the tank the color that it is.  Just looks better where it is going to go with the lighter color stain. 

Plumbing has been started and hopefully this should be done this weekend.  I will be taking some pictures and posting them up here pretty shortly.  I will take pics of the plumbing and some of the new equipment going into the tank.

We are going to have to reinforce the stand a bit before getting her all filled up.  Had to cut a bit more then anticipated to get the 50g sump in the back.  Makes me wish that it had doors on the both end for easier access to the that area.  Oh well will have to make due with it and learn to work around it.

Biggest worry is moving all of the sand and water.  I really do not want to have a big cycle in the new tank and I have heard some bad things about moving sand beds.  Any suggestion would be awesome for this.

Pics coming soon...

-------------
Molon Labe

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 11:23am
Sounds great so far! Looking forward to the pictures!

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: October 20 2011 at 3:01pm
Looking forward to seeing it come along Jared! :)

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 8:16pm
Here are a few pics from the progress that we have made in the last couple days.  I got all of my bulbs for my t5 fixture.  We are just about done and going to be doing a water test for the seals probably tomorrow.

Some shot of the plumbing

And my controller

-------------
Molon Labe

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 9:11pm
Cool:-) um if I remember right the probes need to stay wet or they are ruined. I could be wrong but make sure you find out.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 10:02pm
If that's the case they already were when I got it :(

-------------
Molon Labe

Posted By: DLindquist
Date Posted: October 21 2011 at 10:13pm

Biggest worry is moving all of the sand and water.  I really do not want to have a big cycle in the new tank and I have heard some bad things about moving sand beds.  Any suggestion would be awesome for this.

Pics coming soon...
[/QUOTE]

I would suggest scooping up some of your existing top layer of sand for use in the new setup, then either use all new sand or throughly wash all of your old sand in fresh water repeatedly. Simply place a five gallon bucket under the faucet while stirring up your sand. Continue until the run over water is clear.

-------------
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 3:31am
Here are a couple more.  The tank is done and we are just diong some water test on the plumbing.  Should be very soon that the move starts!

Pretty excited to have this ready to go.  More pics will come as we start the rock scapping and everything else. 

3 fish are getting an eviction notice upon the move. 
My yellow tang, coral beauty, and bicolor blenny(Devil Fish)
Yellow tang is leaving because he is rather aggresive towards my sailfin.. And I like my sailfin a lot more.
Coral beauty is leaving because I am trying to move away for "with caution" reef fish
Bicolor is lucky he does not get a funeral... This is a Devil spawn in a fish.. Eats clams and other soft coral..

-------------
Molon Labe

Posted By: jaschall
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 8:54am
How much for the yellow tang? I would be interested

Posted By: wick246
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 11:56am
That's a great looking tank Quickness! You must stay up late working on them, all your new tank posts are late at night. Smile

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 12:07pm
Jared this new set  up is going to be amazing! I know you are very excited about it, I look forward to watching the process.
 Pam

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 2:14pm
Thanks guys!  And no I just get off work at 11 so I have to do my stuff later in the evening. 

-------------
Molon Labe

Posted By: ksmart
Date Posted: October 28 2011 at 2:27pm
Looking really good! 120 gal is probably my favorite tank, this is going to be awesome!

-------------

Posted By: Deluxe247
Date Posted: October 29 2011 at 5:26pm
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. I don't know if you've decided on a plan of action for moving the sand bed yet or not. DLindquist's ideas is solid. There may be another safe way to do it that would save a little more of the good biology. Also, the age and maintenance of the sand bed is critical. If it's relatively new, and/or you've done a lot of gravel vac-ing, then it's already fairly safe. If not, and even regardless of the age, I would do a few good water changes before the move, and make sure you gravel vac really well. You could even do this after you remove the livestock and rocks to make sure you get the pockets you couldn't get to.

-------------
90G Mixed Reef

Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 8:21pm
Okay so here is an update of the tank.  Sorry it has taken me so long to do this.. 

All Pics were taken with my old iPhone.. So quality is not there.. Anyone know someone up north with great camera skills please let me know..
Also all my lights were on for pretty much every shot.. Like to present what it actually looks like.

Some of the pictures are already old and coral has been moved around a bit, but you will get the general idea of what is going on for now.

Oh and almost forgot.. I did not have anything pass away with the move from the 90g to the 120g!Clap

Here is what you come to the threads for!Star

Full shot
Left Side
Center
Right Side

And here are some pics of various Coral and Fish that I have in my system right now.  I am pretty stocked on fish, but really enjoy watching them interact with one another. (I'm addicted to Tangs)
Sail-fin Tang
Blond Naso Tang
Clown Tang
My Blue Hippo and Kole Tang were being a little camera shy.. Sorry no pics of them at the moment.

Here are a couple of my newest additions.
Solar Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse

Here are some of my current Chalice frags.  I have another on my frag rack, but unable to get a good picture of the rainbow of colors in it so I am leaving that out.   I got it from Gonzo at the reef fest.
And the biggest one that I have to date..

My welso (A large portion of this was bleached when I purchased it.  Happy to say colors are coming back in great.)  And there is my Powder Brown Tang

Can never remember what exactly these are called.. It is a type of Acan.. Acan Maxima

Clams

Here are some of my Zoas and frags on the frag rack (Some of which are for sale)
Can't remember what these are.
Red People Eaters
Spider-mans
Candy Apples
Armor of Gods and my Aussie Blastos
Blue Tubs
Purple Death Palys
Here are some that are on the frag rack..
Eagle Eye, Sunny D's, Magicians, Lunar Eclipse, Chocolate Mint, Cat Eye, and Tyree Space Monsters
Here is a better picture of the Tyree Space Monsters..
Some of the SPS that I have right now, but can not get good pics of are..
Green Garf Bonsai, Pearl Berry, Tri color Vilda, Red Planet, Poker Star Monti, Orange Monti, Green Monti, Purple Haze Monti, Couple different types of Birds Nest one of them starts with a P and I can never remember how the heck to say it or spell it.. lol It is a rainbow color.

There will be more to come as I keep going
Here is my fish and invert List
Watchman/Pistol Pair
Blond Naso Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Kole Tang
Clown Tang
Sail-fin Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Cleaner Wrasse
Six-line Wrasse
Mystery Wrasse
Solar/Clown Wrasse
Mandarin
Fire Fish
Rainfords Goby
Blue Eye Anthias (I think)
Blue Spot Jawfish(MIA Fear the worst)
Cleaner Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
A bunch of snails and crabs
Cucumber
And I am probably forgettin something, but when I remember I will update..

-------------
Molon Labe

Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 8:44pm
Nice update:) Stuff is looking good!

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 8:45pm
Jared my friend, it looks amazing!
Pam

-------------

Posted By: BillyC
Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 9:07pm
Tank looks awesome man! I recently upgraded to a 120 also and love it.

Posted By: pgravis
Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 9:24pm
things are looking sweet man.   Nice work

-------------
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com

Date Posted: November 15 2011 at 9:29pm
Thanks.  The tank is still pretty new as tank standards go right now, but so far so good. 
Need a good underwater camera and some picture lessons.

Still working on getting my controller up and working the way I would like and soon plan on purchasing a  Calcium reactor to help maximize my corals health!

-------------
Molon Labe

Posted By: Brandon1985
Date Posted: November 16 2011 at 6:13am
Nice

-------------
24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

Date Posted: November 16 2011 at 9:10am
Looks GREAT!

-------------
Next meeting:

Date Posted: November 18 2011 at 4:05am
I will for sure be working on getting better pictures.  Any suggestions on how to take better shots of tank and coral? 

Only digital camera that I have is a older Canon SD750 ELPH

-------------
Molon Labe

Posted By: Snowsrfr
Date Posted: November 18 2011 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Quickness Quickness wrote:

I will for sure be working on getting better pictures.  Any suggestions on how to take better shots of tank and coral? 

Only digital camera that I have is a older Canon SD750 ELPH

I used to have the same Canon ELPH, and could take decent pics of corals with it.

Things that worked for me. Turn off all other lights in room. Use a tripod. Whenever possible, use the macro setting, but for corals that are further in the tank, turn macro off.

-------------
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo

Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 12:52am
Ok so I think it is time for an update.  I have been able to take some better pics with my new phone.  These are the first that I have shot with it so I will learn more about it and get better as I go.

Full Tank Shot

And I'll just throw in some other misc pics.
CARs
This one will be super sexy when it gets bigger!
This one also
I will call him MINI me
My first welso
Hell Fire Chalice
The new baby

-------------
Molon Labe

Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 8:04am
Jared, this is looking good.  I can't imagine the probs would have been delivered wet, but maybe I guess? I am sure you are fine.  Looks like I need to bug you for some frags :)

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 8:06am
I think I have a chunk of that blue/ red chalice too.  Is that the one they call the super rainbow burst or whatever?

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 12:05pm
Do't think they are the same.  Might be close though.  I will get more pics within a few days.  I want to try and get a nice pic of my new wrasses.

-------------
Molon Labe

Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 8:20pm
Jared your tank looks amazing! Great photos. Thanks for the update!
Pam

-------------

Posted By: BillyC
Date Posted: January 22 2012 at 8:38pm
Dang tanks looking sweet my dude!

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 12:00pm
My New Additions! Flame Wrasse Pair.

-------------
Molon Labe

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 12:03pm
Very nice Jared!!

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Posted By: Laird
Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Quickness Quickness wrote:

My New Additions!

Whats the one on the right?

-------------
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise

Posted By: fishnfresh
Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 12:20pm
It is the male flame wrasse

Date Posted: February 08 2012 at 12:52pm
Those are beautiful!
Pam

-------------

Posted By: rufessor
Date Posted: February 14 2012 at 3:38pm
What's with the perching on the bottom... are you sure they are not flame wrasse/flame hawk intercrosses??  

Beautiful.

Edit to propose that they are are Flame Wrassehawks 

-------------
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net