Print Page | Close Window

Wanting to get started

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Introduce Yourself
Forum Description: Introduce Yourself the the club.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51317
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 6:31am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Wanting to get started
Posted By: Akira
Subject: Wanting to get started
Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:14pm
Hi 
 I had a fresh water yrs ago and have decided that saltwater is the most beautiful. Im currently looking at tanks and equipment and options seem endless. Any advice in equipment set up would be greatly appreciated . Especialy new vs used , sizing etc ...... thanks

Replies:
Posted By: rwccomptech
Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:22pm
Used is sometimes cheaper, and sometimes you can get an awesome deal. I would also say the bigger you can do the better. I wish I could do a bigger tank than my 29. Dont go for PC's, I would say t5ho or mh. Turbo Twist uv sterilizers are awesome. Welcome to the addiction.

-------------
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:25pm
Im looking at a 75g or a 90 gal and trying to research led lighting , is it ok to reuse skimmers pumps etc ? For ev bit of info i read it creats more questions ....lol

Posted By: Ann_A
Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:30pm
^ +1 to that ^

Although, obviously if you go too big, that will get a bit difficult too. Another thing, I would recommend T5s instead of anything else. I personally only have CFs, the ones on my Nano Cube, but I've heard a lot from others who have used Hetao Halides, and they tend to like T5s better, plus you don't get as much heat generated from them. Anyways, welcome to the hobby!

-------------
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53856&title=annes-65g-rsm-reef" rel="nofollow - RSM 250 Reef

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:32pm
L.E.D's are hit and miss, to get ones that work good your looking at $800+. T5HO or MH will do amazing and if you had 6 or 8 bulb systems you could grow SPS. 75G or 90G would be awesome, you could use a 40g Sump as well.  As for skimmers, I don't know too much about reusing pumps, but I dont see why not. The more you learn before you start, the better. This is an amazing place for people who need help. I've had alot of people help me out multiple times.

-------------
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Akira Akira wrote:

Im looking at a 75g or a 90 gal and trying to research led lighting , is it ok to reuse skimmers pumps etc ? For ev bit of info i read it creats more questions ....lol

Those would both be great sizes to start with. I wouldn't bother with LEDs. They'd be great, but so far they aren't quite working as well as they likely will be. Also, they're a lot more money, for less light. Get T5s. LEDs are way overrated right now... I think the reason everyone is talking about them is that they're "the new thing" plus as technology improves, they will improve also, so don't buy them now. I would just stick to T5s until the price for LEDs comes down, and the quality and functionality goes up. That's just my opinion, though, never having used them as they're so dang expensive. Lol

-------------
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53856&title=annes-65g-rsm-reef" rel="nofollow - RSM 250 Reef

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:37pm
What is this? Everyone is beating me to reply!

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:41pm
Sorry I just type fast. I would go with t5's too, cause I'm stuck with pcs. You could do led sup.

-------------
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Posted By: fishnfresh
Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:43pm
If you can afford LED's deffinatly go with them. seen many great tanks with led's. Less money to run,less heat,and look great. Go with a reputable dealer and you will be fine. Or DIY but make sure you use good ones like CREE. Reusing skimmers and pumps are fine. I would clean them real good first.The LED's pay for themselves in a few yrs. no replacing bulbs once a yr either. Good luck.

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:47pm
Haha. No problem. Yea, I'm thinking of upgrading to T5s, bot sure out that would work with a nano cube, though. But yes, you could supplement T5s or other lighting types with LEDs. I'm sure they would work well for supplementing, as well as add some nice affects, including a nice shimmer effect, that is common with metals halides, and is a cry popular, and attractive look.

-------------

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:52pm
You could mod the hood of the nano with some T5's. Retro it.

-------------
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 5:59pm
Yea. I've thought about doing that. Not to hijack the thread or anything, but got any suggestions as to a good brand or kits?

-------------

Posted By: Snowsrfr
Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 7:28pm
Akira - IMO, the single best first step you can do is go look at other peoples tanks. Get an idea of what kind of lights you like, the type of corals that strike your fancy, all the different gadgets and gizmos different people use. Ask these people a million questions. We reef geeks love to talk, and there are no dumb questions.

This hobby is not as cut and dry as some people make it out to be. There are a million different ways to do this, so research, ask questions, then go back and do more research, then come back with more questions.

Don't discount anything until you have seen it or researched it for yourself. There has already been a lot of LED bashing and although it is a new technology, it has made more progresst probably any other technology in this hobby. People talk about costhan, but 5 years ago when I got into thr hobby people were shelling out $800-$1200 on metal halide/T5 fixtures. The newest LED technology is actually controllable to change amount of blue or white you're looking to get. The moral of the story is, that there is tons of info, opinions, etc.

Patience is key.

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 7:45pm
Snowsrfr- much better explanation.
L.E.D's can do the same as mh, maybe even better, but as of right now their a whole lot more expensive.

-------------
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 7:51pm
from what i have read the depth of the lighting from led is far better but the cost is still higher if u want a link i can provide it, thus the reason for looking to led lighting first not spending the $ 2 or 3 times to get what i want ..... just not sure what i really want yet lol

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 8:56pm
Welcome to UtahReefs.com, sponsored by the best fish club in the world.Big smile

If you are serious about doing some research before committing yourself, in my opinion the best thing you could possibly do is create a new thread that requests to visit some hobbyists in or near Sandy. There are many and most are happy to invite you over to see their pride and joy and talk about how they set it up and maintain it. Pick their brains for information on the three major parts of setup; biofiltration, lighting and water flow. There's nothing better than seeing the tank while talking about it. It's a very visual hobby.

The link below in my signature line has a lot of useful reading to help you get started and to later avoid or deal with some of the major issues along the way.

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Posted By: Ahanix
Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 9:03pm
Welcome! You will have a lot of differing opinions wherever you go for advice. There are a few of us that are part of the LED club. All I can say is if you can afford it, go for it. I definitely am in favor of it, and don't think I will ever go back to T5's Especially since my lighting is tuned to the exact color I like. I also have sunrise/sunset, weather conditions, a moon cycle and storm conditions. Plus my growth has been amazing

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 9:22pm
Just so you know, I live in sandy off of 13th east and 94th south, so if you need any help I'm pretty close.

-------------
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 9:26pm
I have to say I was a die hard Metal halide person until I bought my LED's since then I decided at one point to go back to metal halide or t5 couldn't even handle it for the day I missed the pop in color I get with LED! I don't have mine on dimmable drivers as I bought the DIY fixture used but eventually I will have them on dimmable drivers so I can get the exact coloring I want.
On another note I love the shimmer effect I got with metal halides and you can get that with LED as well but not t5.
As has been said before there are a lot of different opinions you just have to research and decide what you personally like.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 9:47pm
ty all so much for all ur help look for me in the future with lots of questions and pics when im up and running 

Date Posted: September 11 2011 at 9:49pm
Cant wait to see how yours turns out. I cant get pictures of mine , they always come out way way too blue.

-------------
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net