Print Page | Close Window

Dying fish

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Help
Forum Name: EMERGENCY FORUM
Forum Description: If you have an Emergency post here and you should receive a quick reply.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=54496
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 2:52am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dying fish
Posted By: Laird
Subject: Dying fish
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 9:36am
Over the last week I've now slowly lost 3 fish after not losing any fish in close to two years. They go from looking fine, to hiding for a day to head the next.

Now my beloved powder blue is sick.

I can't see any Ich on him but his fins are looking really bad. The others fish that died didnt have anything on them that looked wrong before or after they died.

No fish have been added or any changes made to the tank other then a couple frags added in the last couple weeks.

I put the tang in my acclimation box to get some pics and to either do something for him or if I need to just take him out.

-------------
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise

Replies:
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 9:50am
Strange white spots by the head

fins all torn up

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 9:50am
nothing comes to mind, I hope someone has an idea

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 9:54am
You don't even know what it is?

I run a UV 24/7, and carbon.

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Posted By: pilot_172
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 10:05am
Do the fish show signs of rapid breathing? I had something go through my tank once and kill all but one fish and they went one at a time. Each would start with signs of rapid breathing and then a couple days later they were dead. It would make sense if a new fish had been added but my only other thought is that something came over from one of those frags. I never found out what killed my fish but my guess was a gill fluke. sorry to hear about your fish

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 10:17am
It isnt breathing rapidly like most fish that are about to die are. Its just sitting there hardly moving.

My other fish that died was a flame hawk and wrasse and they both were hidden the day before they died and then I found them dead so I don't know how they looked or behaved.

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 10:25am
Hard to see but a strange white puss or glue looking stuff forming all around the bottom of the tail.

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 10:36am
I know salinity is important for a lot of the different diseases. Mine currently is at .025
Everything else in the tank, coral, inverts, and other fish are all doing great.

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Posted By: wickedsnowman
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:09am
That reallly sucks Laird. There def is something up with that fish. I haven't ever seen it though. Maybe this link can help ID it.
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

Posted By: jcoulter17
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:29am
I would get a hold of Reef'd Up ASAP.

Posted By: ReefdUp
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:29am
Based on the fish acting normally but having deteriorated fins I would guess a bacterial infection since fungal infections are rare in saltwater are rare. I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic. I want to say something i saw like this and it was gram negative. What about amyloodinium??

-------------
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 11:41am
Btw, I'll be home at 5. I can swing by then and bring my arsenal of mess if you want. Sorry I'm on my phone.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 12:38pm
I have it in a friends QT copper system now. Doubt it makes it but I needed to get it out of the tank.

Ryan at AD thought it was a fungus based on the pictures. But its weird that I've lost other nontang fish.

i don't know anything about amyloodinium, i'm researching it now.

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 12:40pm
I'd also like to add that the weird white gooey stuff on its tail was getting larger. Really weird.   

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 12:48pm
I just don't get how it could come out of know where like this. Can any of the possible fungus or bacterias come attached to frags?

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Posted By: BillyC
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

I just don't get how it could come out of know where like this. Can any of the possible fungus or bacterias come attached to frags?

Absolutely.

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 1:11pm
I should rephrase that. I know that fungus and bacteria can come on frags and thats why everything frag and i mean every single frag that goes into the tank is dipped. I just meant that these particular kinds of bacteria that we are talking about can come on frags?

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Posted By: fishnfresh
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 1:12pm
Damn this sucks bro I hope you can figure it out and dont lose anymore fish.

Posted By: Rara
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

I should rephrase that. I know that fungus and bacteria can come on frags and thats why everything frag and i mean every single frag that goes into the tank is dipped. I just meant that these particular kinds of bacteria that we are talking about can come on frags?

Best of luck with your Tang.

Does anyone know if coral dips are effective against bacteria and fungus that affect fish?  

Posted By: rufessor
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 2:36pm
If your using an iodine dip, bacteria should be eliminated, fungus are pretty hard to kill so I would be pretty surprised if anyone made any strong claims against fungus in their coral dip products.  But I don't actually know what people claim, as I just use Iodine dropped into salt water from a bottle that is not marketed as an aquarium supply...so I am way out in la la land doing it my own way.  

-------------
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!

Posted By: ptronsp
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 4:25pm
Laird did you notice if he got skinnier? He looks really thin. Was that another one of the symptoms?
Pam

-------------

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 4:54pm
Sorry, I was trying to help from my phone at work. I meant to say Brooklynella, not Amyloodinium in my previous post/text. Amyloodinium can be treated with copper, but it's Brooklynella that is treated with formalin (sorry...again.)

Although Brook is normally associated with clownfish, it seems to fit in this case, especially given the "strange white spots" by the tang's head, sudden deaths, lack of appetite/weight loss (I'm assuming from the thinness of the tang), and fin condition.  Couple that with a Psuedomonas gram negative bacteria as a secondary infection...and I think you have your culprit.  

What I'd do is get the tang out of copper and into a QT tank.  Start dropping the salinity and start dosing erythromycin since brook causes the fish to have difficulty with osmoregulation and to be more susceptible to infection.  Then start formalin dips to kill off the brook.      

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/aafeature1" rel="nofollow - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/aafeature1  

I have erythromycin and formalin here if you need it.  Good luck!!

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: ptronsp
Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Reef'd Up Reef'd Up wrote:

Sorry, I was trying to help from my phone at work. I meant to say Brooklynella, not Amyloodinium in my previous post/text. Amyloodinium can be treated with copper, but it's Brooklynella that is treated with formalin (sorry...again.)

Although Brook is normally associated with clownfish, it seems to fit in this case, especially given the "strange white spots" by the tang's head, sudden deaths, lack of appetite/weight loss (I'm assuming from the thinness of the tang), and fin condition.  Couple that with a Psuedomonas gram negative bacteria as a secondary infection...and I think you have your culprit.  

What I'd do is get the tang out of copper and into a QT tank.  Start dropping the salinity and start dosing erythromycin since brook causes the fish to have difficulty with osmoregulation and to be more susceptible to infection.  Then start formalin dips to kill off the brook.       

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/aafeature1" rel="nofollow - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/aafeature1  

I have erythromycin and formalin here if you need it.  Good luck!!

I too was thinking the same thing with the Brooklynella..it is very difficult to treat from what I have heard. I am so sorry this is happening Laird.
Pam

-------------

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 6:43pm
I'm pretty sure its gone beyond saving at this point. Its fins are pretty much history. sad to lose a pet but 3 years is a good run for a powder blue.

I just hope that none of the other fish pick up any symptoms.

All the other fish still look fat and happy and I picked up thera +A to start feeding. Its a anti parasitic pellet that Ryan said works really well.

Thanks for the help and concern.

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

Laird did you notice if he got skinnier? He looks really thin. Was that another one of the symptoms?
Pam

I had been so busy fragging coral every time that I was at the tank for the last week or so that I didnt really notice how skinny it was. It was always a great eater but never grew since I got it and also always stayed pretty thin compared to the other fish.

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 6:56pm
I know this sucks, but please don't give up on him.  My purple tang was lying on his side gasping for breath, covered in ich, and had one of the worst cases of HLLE I've ever seen.  He pulled through, and so can yours.

http://reefdup.blogspot.com/2011/12/rescue-fish-my-experience-with-hlle.html" rel="nofollow - http://reefdup.blogspot.com/2011/12/rescue-fish-my-experience-with-hlle.html

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: February 21 2012 at 7:33pm
Thats pretty incredible, i for sure wont after reading that.

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Posted By: Soehl
Date Posted: April 30 2012 at 9:21pm
What happened?  :)

-------------
Cory
180 Gallon Mixed Reef
Radion Pro LED
75 Gallon Elite Sump/Refugium

Date Posted: April 30 2012 at 10:03pm
As in did I figure out exactly what was wrong? Or did it die?

I still don't know exactly what it had, and it died a day or two after my last post in here. Every other fish and the tank has been super healthy ever since. No idea what weird thing got that tang.

-------------

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net