Print Page | Close Window

BillyC & TiffanyC's 120g Reef

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Tank Threads
Forum Description: A place to show off your tank build.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56229
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 4:43am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: BillyC & TiffanyC's 120g Reef
Posted By: tiffanyc
Subject: BillyC & TiffanyC's 120g Reef
Date Posted: May 05 2012 at 7:24pm
We just recently moved up to centerville from Provo and are excited to have our tank up and running again. Up until last week our tank was just a pile of rocks but then we spent about 3 hours aquascaping on Thursday and are pretty pleased with the results. We decided to go with the double mountain look and followed the "golden ratio" as far as rock placement. As we continue to get back corals that our friends have been holding for us during the move, we will update with more fun pictures. Anyone ever interested in coming to visit in person and talk salt is always welcome to. Thanks for looking and please ask questions and comment!!

Before Aquascaping....

And after!!!

-------------
120g Sps Dominant

Replies:
Posted By: BillyC
Date Posted: May 05 2012 at 10:10pm
Our newest addition. Love that face!

Posted By: McClure
Date Posted: May 05 2012 at 10:14pm
Very cool!

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: May 05 2012 at 10:55pm
Very nice guys!!

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: DLindquist
Date Posted: May 06 2012 at 7:08am
Nice Blue Jaw. May have to try one myself. I also love the minimalist rock. Looks great.

-------------
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Posted By: Trevor40
Date Posted: May 06 2012 at 9:02am
Love the new fish and aquascape! It will make your tank feel bigger:)

-------------
Call or Text (801)834-3119

Date Posted: May 06 2012 at 12:57pm
McClure and Jackie thanks for the compliments!

Dave, the blue jaw is awesome. I first saw one in Allen's (Teknik777) tank and fell in love. So much personality. And I'm actually really glad you said "minimalist" because that's what we were going for but I ended up using more rock in the end. Thanks!

Trev, thanks bro it really does feel bigger somehow we're liking it a lot.

Posted By: Jeremyw
Date Posted: May 06 2012 at 1:45pm
That is great! I went with minimalist look this time around and love it! I love your tank! I loved my blue jaw till my tank leaked! They do have a lot of personality! 

-------------
Next meeting:

Posted By: Josh95
Date Posted: May 06 2012 at 1:47pm
Yea, i like triggers, i had a niger trigger and he was a cool fish, lots of personality without being agressive, not in the least

-------------
Josh M.
Phone: 406.471.1334

Date Posted: May 06 2012 at 3:09pm
Thanks Jeremy appreciate the compliment about the aquascape! Triggers are actually the reason I got into saltwater because I was fascinated by how they swim and look. Then I realized they weren't really good for reef tanks and lost hope until I learned that nigers and bluejaws were atleast reef safe "with caution."

Thanks Josh! I almost bought a Niger trigger a few times but for some reason decided against it. I'm glad I waited for this guy though he's my favorite right now.

Posted By: Akira
Date Posted: May 06 2012 at 3:22pm
Looks great Billy I do like the minimalist look and cant wait till you get all your stuff back and placed. I would also like to come by and check it out sometime .

Date Posted: May 07 2012 at 11:24am
Thanks Kurt, all those talks about using less rock really convinved me to do it. One thing I kept in mind was the idea of negative space that Scott Fellman spoke about at MWRF '11 and how in terms of rock, "less is more." Yiu know you're always welcome over just hit me up.

Date Posted: May 07 2012 at 12:39pm
Thanks for the compliments everybody!!! This is my first thread I started because billy likes to hog the forum =D.

Here's a favia that Billy is always taking pictures of...

-------------
120g Sps Dominant

Date Posted: May 07 2012 at 6:48pm
I like that alot :) You just need to train him better so you can have some fun oh here too .....

Date Posted: May 07 2012 at 8:14pm
Haha she's working on training me.

Date Posted: May 07 2012 at 8:26pm
One of my favorite watermelon chalices. Pic could be a little better but I don't have a tripod yet.

Posted By: Rex
Date Posted: May 08 2012 at 6:30pm
Looks great Billy!!! Glad to see things are doing well.

-------------
http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php

Date Posted: May 08 2012 at 10:35pm
Thanks a lot Rex I'm really grateful for the people who have held my corals for me and now I'm getting some back. Got these back tonight!

Actinic shot of Chalices on a ledge

Posted By: Teknik777
Date Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:23am
Sweet! I will stop by this week and check out the new aquascape!

-------------
220 G SPS Display.

Posted By: grassfairy
Date Posted: May 09 2012 at 9:34am
I saw heir tank in person and it looked HUGE!!! It really made me miss my 120g
Great job on the aquascape guys, it usually takes me a day to redo aquascape in my tanks, you should come help out with the cube, I bet we can finish it in 1 hr or less.
I will also try to talk Mandi into letting me get a trigger, she thinks they are weird looking fish lol.

Date Posted: May 09 2012 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by grassfairy grassfairy wrote:

I saw heir tank in person and it looked HUGE!!! It really made me miss my 120g
Great job on the aquascape guys, it usually takes me a day to redo aquascape in my tanks, you should come help out with the cube, I bet we can finish it in 1 hr or less.
I will also try to talk Mandi into letting me get a trigger, she thinks they are weird looking fish lol.

Haha, if Billy could have he would have taken a lot longer but I gave him a time limit of three hours and we got it done, thankfully!! : )

-------------
120g Sps Dominant

Date Posted: May 09 2012 at 7:56pm
Here's our pic of the day! An actinic shot of our My Miami chalice!!! One of our favorites.

-------------
120g Sps Dominant

Date Posted: May 09 2012 at 8:16pm
Im jealous! i would love a my miami frag sometime. sweet piece!

-------------
Josh M.

Date Posted: May 11 2012 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Josh95 Josh95 wrote:

Im jealous! i would love a my miami frag sometime. sweet piece!

Yea dude its one of my favorite pieces. I'm probably going to hoard it until it's the size of a frisbee haha.

Date Posted: May 11 2012 at 7:14am
Probably the first wrasse we've ever owned. Now my wife is wrasse crazy and we are slowly building a small wrasse collection.

Solar fairy wrasse

Date Posted: May 11 2012 at 12:26pm
Our new pets have been in the acclimation box since last night and they're doing amazing. Might even let em free tonight. Probably the worst quality picture I've posted on here sorry.

Posted By: suiso man
Date Posted: May 11 2012 at 1:48pm
Cool you got them!!

Date Posted: May 11 2012 at 3:12pm
Yes sir we did! They're very cute and we can't wait to have them out of the box.

Posted By: rufessor
Date Posted: May 11 2012 at 3:46pm
Let us know if you have any inverts with the trigger fish and how long peace is maintained.  I want a pink tail but the clean up crew is non-negotiable and I hear that triggers are fond of shrimp, snails, other shelled animals.  CURIOUS.  

Looks great!  

-------------
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!

Date Posted: May 11 2012 at 4:12pm
We have plenty of snails and hermit crabs in our tank and bluejaw trigger pays no attention to them. That being said, every fish is different. I'm so infatuated with this trigger that I wouldn't even care if he munched on my CUC. I have heard of people having success with the pinktail triggers and more so with niger triggers. Just make sure you're rock is secure. My trigger has dug himself a burrow underneath a large rock that he sleeps in with his head poking out.

Date Posted: May 12 2012 at 10:31am
I've been neglecting fish pictures because they're so dang hard to shoot. Here's my attempt.

Mystery wrasse

Exquisite wrasse

Trio of Maldives Lyretail Anthias

Date Posted: May 12 2012 at 12:38pm
And here's a clearer non-actinic shot of our new Nemos in the acclimation box.

Date Posted: May 12 2012 at 2:43pm
Those anthias are AWESOME! I was just looking into those, funny how that happens and then you post a pic of yours!

-------------

Date Posted: May 12 2012 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Trevor40 Trevor40 wrote:

Those anthias are AWESOME! I was just looking into those, funny how that happens and then you post a pic of yours!

Thanks man! Our tank needed that splash of bright orange and we love how they swim together.

Date Posted: May 12 2012 at 10:38pm
I really like the color of those Anthias. Did you get them locally and will 1 of the become a male ?

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 6:38am
Generally the dominate female will turn into a male. The males are a beautiful hue of red. I've got four of these beauties in our quarantine tank. Awesome pictures Billy.

-------------
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Akira Akira wrote:

I really like the color of those Anthias. Did you get them locally and will 1 of the become a male ?<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

I do too they're super bright and yes one will become male like Dave said. I got mine from aquatic dreams. Heres what the male will look like... http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+20+1512&pcatid=1512

They require very heavy feeding and often so just be aware if you decide to look into it more.

Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

Generally the dominate female will turn into a male. The males are a beautiful hue of red. I've got four of these beauties in our quarantine tank. Awesome pictures Billy.

Yours are going to look awesome in your humongous tank. How long are you quarantining them?

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 5:24pm
Probably 7-10 days. I've got two Bartlett Anthias (to add to the one we've already got) coming from LA Wednesday and I want to introduce all to the display tank at the same time.

-------------

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

Probably 7-10 days. I've got two Bartlett Anthias (to add to the one we've already got) coming from LA Wednesday and I want to introduce all to the display tank at the same time.

I Loooove Bartlett anthias too. If I had a bigger thank I'd get a mini-school of those myself.

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 7:57pm
Chalice pic anyone?

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 8:10pm
What kind of chalice is that?? I have one of those! 

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 8:15pm
Sweet, where'd you get yours? Mine is the tyree bubblegum monster.

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

We bought it from the reef kingdom guy for $20 at a meeting. He said it was an Acan... There is no way it is an Acan at the time we just thought it was upset. I looked though, maybe its not the same as yours. They eyes are more surrounded if that makes sense.

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by McClure McClure wrote:

We bought it from the reef kingdom guy for $20 at a meeting. He said it was an Acan... There is no way it is an Acan at the time we just thought it was upset. I looked though, maybe its not the same as yours. They eyes are more surrounded if that makes sense.

Yours is probably an acan echinata

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: Cody
Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 8:37pm
Will you guys stop it :p I'm pretty jealous.

Date Posted: May 13 2012 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

Will you guys stop it :p I'm pretty jealous.

Lol I'll try to keep it coming for you ;)

Posted By: Teknik777
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 5:58pm
My female is turning male here iswhat he looks like..I also bought mine from ad.

-------------
220 G SPS Display.

Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 9:44pm
Dude that anthias is the man

Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:04pm

Thanks a lot Rex I'm really grateful for the people who have held my corals for me and now I'm getting some back. Got these back tonight!

What are these chalices and can I buy them?

Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 11:51pm

What are these chalices and can I buy them?

Top: Tyree Original Mummy eye
Bottom: Tyree Red Watermelon
Right: JF Crazy Fox

Yes you can buy them but not from me yet because I am growing these out to medium colonies before I frag them. If you're really interested though I can get you frags for RELATIVELY good deals. 

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 3:03am
Closeup of our war coral colony

-------------
120g Sps Dominant

Posted By: Tanuki
Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 10:05am
Which lense are you shooting with>?

-------------
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 6:43pm
Hey billy, that red watermelon is sweet!

-------------
Josh M.

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 9:23pm
Brent, I'm using the same one I got from you ;)

Josh. Thanks man. Do you have one yet?

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 10:16pm
No, this speeding ticket is KILLING me
I do have a plan to get an Aquatic Obsessed Hawaiian Punch chalice, and one of thier unnamed secret chalices here in the next few months, care to do a growout?

-------------
Josh M.

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 11:57pm

I do have a plan to get an Aquatic Obsessed Hawaiian Punch chalice, and one of thier unnamed secret chalices here in the next few months, care to do a growout?

Hmmmm... Tempting but I have my eye on some other chalices I need to acquire first.

Date Posted: May 17 2012 at 10:26pm

Hmmmm... Tempting but I have my eye on some other chalices I need to acquire first.

Such as? I am curious billy, and eager to expand my high end chalice collection

-------------
Josh M.

Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 7:45am

Such as? I am curious billy, and eager to expand my high end chalice collection

You should stop by sometime and we'll talk chalices.

Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 7:47am
Here's one of my favorite looking fish in my tank. Our Guinea Fowl Leopoard Wrasse.

Posted By: grassfairy
Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 8:15am
Sweet looking fish! Where did you get it from?

Date Posted: May 18 2012 at 11:43am
Originally posted by grassfairy grassfairy wrote:

Sweet looking fish! Where did you get it from?

I can't remember the users name... Something like BushFairy or GrassTroll or GrassFairy or something like that ;)

Date Posted: May 19 2012 at 7:45pm
Here's our Tyree pink lemonade minicolony. Still needs a lot of coloring up for it to be how I want it to look. The new growth (you can see a nub sticking out in the middle of the top branch) has that fluorescent yellow color that I'm chasing.

Posted By: ch3tt
Date Posted: May 19 2012 at 8:39pm
Gorgeous tank, had the opportunity to see this in person today. Beautiful tank and awesome people!

-------------
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL

Date Posted: May 21 2012 at 11:40am
Originally posted by ch3tt ch3tt wrote:

Gorgeous tank, had the opportunity to see this in person today. Beautiful tank and awesome people!

Dude thanks man! It was good meeting you and talking fish stuff. I really wanna come check out all your setups.

Date Posted: May 21 2012 at 11:43am
I picked up this interesting looking chalice not too long ago because it looks like it has some serious potential. I'll update as it continues to color up. It's slightly larger than a golf ball right now.

Posted By: ch3tt
Date Posted: May 21 2012 at 11:45am
Yeah for sure man. You are welcome to come check it out anytime!

-------------
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL

Date Posted: May 21 2012 at 1:45pm

Here's our Tyree pink lemonade minicolony. Still needs a lot of coloring up for it to be how I want it to look. The new growth (you can see a nub sticking out in the middle of the top branch) has that fluorescent yellow color that I'm chasing.

It's coloring up nicely! Looking sexy! It's good to see you didn't loose this one in the move is its one of my favorites!

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2012 at 7:42am
Thanks trev I agree and it's among my top 5 favorite acros.

Here's my purple paradise granulosa. Also coloring up nicely.

Date Posted: May 25 2012 at 12:02pm
Whered you pick upo that chalice?

-------------
Josh M.

Date Posted: May 25 2012 at 12:33pm

Whered you pick upo that chalice?

From fishnfresh when he WAS getting out of the hobby. Glad he decided to stay. Here's a less actinic pic. The flesh is lightening up but the random white streaks are still very pronounced.

Posted By: suiso man
Date Posted: May 25 2012 at 1:42pm
Billy those pics look awesome!! I love that chalice. What are you using to take pictures?

Date Posted: May 26 2012 at 12:23pm
Thanks a lot Robert I appreciate it. I'm using a Nikon D80 with a the 18-55mm lens.

Posted By: Kaiden32
Date Posted: May 26 2012 at 4:54pm
I like your aquascape! I am doing the same kind of thing just with my 20 long. All your chalices are awesome.

Date Posted: May 26 2012 at 5:11pm
Oh, i was hoping that you had some connections to wholesale chalices.

-------------
Josh M.

Date Posted: May 26 2012 at 7:17pm
Kaiden32, I look forward to seeing how you scape it. I think 20Ls are awesome nanos. And thanks, I love chalices. 

Josh, nah no special connections like that here.

Date Posted: May 26 2012 at 7:20pm
Here's another piece I picked up a couple weeks ago. I'm so excited at how crazy it's coloring up. It's just as bright as my bubblegum monster, only its more gold-green than bright green. Gotta think of a cool name for this bad boy. Let me know what you think. 

Date Posted: May 27 2012 at 12:02am
Hey man i really liked the look of your new aquascaping , and you skimmer was so sick !! You have a ton of great stuff. Thanks for the frags too ! Very happy with them . Was the second 1 a frag of your purple paradise granulosa ? Oh and congrats again !!!!

Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 1:07am

Hey man i really liked the look of your new aquascaping , and you skimmer was so sick !! You have a ton of great stuff. Thanks for the frags too ! Very happy with them . Was the second 1 a frag of your <span ="Apple-style-span" style="-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">purple paradise granulosa ? Oh and congrats again !!!!</span><!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

Thanks dude its always good having you over to talk fish stuff. And yes, that was the second frag you got.

Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 1:10am
This is my favorite watermelon chalice in my tank. Ultimate's insane watermelon. This one is in higher light than my other minicolony. I still need to find a more permanent spot in my tank so I can clear my sandbed a bit.

Posted By: Kaiden32
Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 6:38am
That is awesome!

Date Posted: May 30 2012 at 12:29pm
I remember seing this one and asking how much it cost. Hahaha very awesome piece.

Date Posted: June 02 2012 at 7:08pm

I remember seing this one and asking how much it cost. Hahaha very awesome piece.

Yea man def. For that reason I'll prob never frag it because I'd be lucky to get 1/3 of what I paid per eye. It grows so slow too. Here's a pic of it from last July. It's the 2nd one from the left. Still on the same disc.

Date Posted: June 04 2012 at 9:55pm
Here's probably my newest chalice frag. I've been searching for this chalice for a long time and luckily enough one of our members had one (Laird.) My first red-rimmed one, introducing the UC Hellfire Chalice. 

For reference, here's the exact colony that it has been aqua-cultured from. Can't wait to see what mine will look like in a year. (Picture taken from www.uniquecorals.com when it was online)

Posted By: Quickness
Date Posted: June 13 2012 at 7:19pm
Guess I could post up the pic of mine.  Have had it for a few months now.  They grow pretty good.  Started with an eye and have 3 now.  Looks good man!

-------------
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Date Posted: June 13 2012 at 7:58pm
That is a sweet piece guys, and yes please post up a pic quickness. If you dont mind me asking but how much was that guy? Wasnt it like $450 an eye online?

-------------
Josh M.

Posted By: chuckfu
Date Posted: June 13 2012 at 8:00pm
Thats amazing! That is by far the best looking chalice I have seen.

Date Posted: June 13 2012 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Quickness Quickness wrote:

Guess I could post up the pic of mine.  Have had it for a few months now.  They grow pretty good.  Started with an eye and have 3 now.  Looks good man!

I saw your piece when I went to Brett's (if it's the same one) def a SWEET piece but the Aquarium Master's Hellfire is slightly different from this UC Hellfire. I'd love to see a pic though!! I'm still looking for a piece of that as well so let me know if you ever wanna frag it and we'll work our a trade or something maybe?!

QUOTE=Josh95] That is a sweet piece guys, and yes please post up a pic quickness. If you dont mind me asking but how much was that guy? Wasnt it like $450 an eye online?[/QUOTE]

Yes it was pretty pricey online but Laird hooked it up for me ;)

Originally posted by chuckfu chuckfu wrote:

Thats amazing! That is by far the best looking chalice I have seen.

Thanks man! Yea I can't wait for it to start growing faster haha

Posted By: Laird
Date Posted: June 14 2012 at 8:14am
Everythings looking awesome billy.

And Billy is right, this Hellfire does not look like the hellfire from AM, AM just copied the name because his was also a super nice red rim chalice.

-------------
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise

Date Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:54pm
Thanks laird

Date Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:55pm
Here's my original pink boobies chalice. This is an older pic, it's a little bigger now and popped a few more eyes.

Posted By: fishnfresh
Date Posted: June 19 2012 at 1:11am
Wasn't that the hellfire Boogie was selling a while back?

Date Posted: June 19 2012 at 1:30am
The one he sold was the UC version which grows much slower than the A.
M. version.

Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 9:35am
One of our newest sps. My "Lime in the Sky" acro is so bright under actinics.

Posted By: reefguy
Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 4:24pm

Here's another piece I picked up a couple weeks ago. I'm so excited at how crazy it's coloring up. It's just as bright as my bubblegum monster, only its more gold-green than bright green. Gotta think of a cool name for this bad boy. Let me know what you think. 

I have one of these to Billy I got it sold to me as a Sour Apple Chalice... JF has a similar with the same naming as well however I dont know if mine has Linage back to his..

-------------

Date Posted: June 22 2012 at 11:21pm
Sure wish you were in town before I parted with my lime in the sky !!!!!!! Colby can I have that one back ? lol

Date Posted: June 25 2012 at 3:54pm

Sure wish you were in town before I parted with my lime in the sky !!!!!!! Colby can I have that one back ? lol<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

I'll have a frag for you when you're ready ;) And a piece of this too if interested.

Fragfarmer's Red Robin Stag. (Actinic shot) Growing awesome for me.

Date Posted: June 26 2012 at 10:33pm
I'd like to try to add a cool mushroom so I posted a WTB ad in the classifieds. Anyone have anything good?

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 8:19am

One of our newest sps. My "Lime in the Sky" acro is so bright under actinics.

Dude, Your Lime in the Sky is looking like a beauty. Good work, I can tell your really getting that water quality dialed in!

-------------

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 5:50pm
have you seen jareds red robin colony? he cut in half and its still almost the size of a volleyball, pre move so idk how it is now, and i think you have every chalice i want billy, do you have SC Atom Bomb by chance?

-------------
Josh M.

Date Posted: June 27 2012 at 6:57pm
Thanks trev! I'm trying to make my water even cleaner. In addition to vodka dosing, I just setup a BRS dual reactor carbon and gfo thanks to Kurt (Akira). Is been running for 2 days and I'm hoping it has some really good effects.

Josh, yes I've seen his colony many times and it's always been HUGE. I was lucky enough to get my first frag from him last year sometime. And no I don't have that chalices. All these new rainbow chalices will be coming down in price a lot within the next year because they seem to be decent growers.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net