Print Page | Close Window

Tangs

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Help
Forum Name: EMERGENCY FORUM
Forum Description: If you have an Emergency post here and you should receive a quick reply.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56463
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 4:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tangs
Posted By: Weberlaxplayer
Subject: Tangs
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:16pm
Ok, so a couple months ago i posted about an ick outbreak and thought it was because my tangs were fighting.... I have 1 yellow tang, 1 scopas tang, and 1 tomini tang... The yellow and the scopas battle it out constantly and will get frayed fins.... I have heard the rule of keeping odd number of tangs so the picking order falls into place.... But i have 2 zebramosa genus or what ever (yellow and scopas) i was told to put the zebramosa in an odd number, so i added another tang today.. A sailfin tang, roughly the same size as the others. But they yellow and scopas are fighting with it... To where it is starting to fray its fins....I then heard that they do this just for a little while just to let the fish know who is boss.... I need to know asap if i need to take the sailfin out and take him back to the LFS or what? Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Dion Richins
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:19pm
Did you use an aclimator box???????? What size is the tank????

-------------
http://www.customaquariumfurniture.com" rel="nofollow - Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:22pm
75... I did not never even heard of that.. He has onl been in their two hours.. The tank is 75 gallons. I know thats a lot of tangs for a 75, but they are all still small and then i would give them up...
I can throw him in the sump if needs be...

Posted By: DLindquist
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:51pm
Are you the same person that posted about this problem awhile back?
Your tank is too small for three or four tangs. Buying fish you know will soon out grow your tank is not the best way to go about this. If you can live without them then, live without them now. Adding more tangs will not correct your compatibility problem. Odd number- even number- total BS. Where did you hear that? Acclimation boxes are great ideas- if and when the hobbyist makes appropriate choices when adding new fish.

-------------
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Posted By: sabeypets
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 6:56pm
I'm not sure why your even posting this again you was told two months ago adding another tang would make the fighting worse did you forget all ready?

-------------
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Posted By: BillyC
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 9:39pm
I agree with the above two posts. I hate to say this man but your best course of action right now is to get rid of all of your tangs. If you MUST keep tangs then I would say keep the Tomini along with the scopas. Your intentions of giving them away when they grow too big are good but realistically the tangs will just die from stress long before they even outgrow it. I can't even tell you how many times people say that their 6 tangs in a 65g all get along and they're happy. Just because the fish aren't bashing their heads on the glass and constantly fighting, doesn't mean they are all "happy and balanced." I would fully research any fish before you buy one for not only the sake of the fish but for your wallet's sake too. Just my advice. IME people usually ignore advice when they are told they're tank is too small for certain fish.

Posted By: McClure
Date Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:14pm
I agree with everything said and have nothing more to add except that the previous posters are not the minority on this one.

Wasn't it you that also just added a shark?

Posted By: sabeypets
Date Posted: May 15 2012 at 12:26am
Originally posted by McClure McClure wrote:

Wasn't it you that also just added a shark?
yes it was

-------------
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Date Posted: May 15 2012 at 10:21am
I got the shark, and sold it to a friend. Took all thr tangs out with the exception of the tomini. No bashing... Just the other day someone stated they had 25 fish in a 60. I had 11 now 9 in a 75. I dont have a ton of lr plenty of swimming space as well as hiding places. yeah my tangs fought enough to get their fins occasionally to have a small rip. Nothing major. I just worried. My tank did have an outbreak of ick, but it was because my test kit was faulty. All params are normal and constant. I wouldnt let my fish get to big for my tank, id sell them first. thanks for your help...

Posted By: Dion Richins
Date Posted: May 15 2012 at 10:40am
Josh....I'm not here to be an ass or offend you or any one else. I'm only trying to spread a little of the knowledge that I have gained from my short time in the hobby.

What kind of test kit do you have for ick? I for one want one!!!
You do know that ick is a parasite that hosts on the fish. WE all have it in our tanks. However it only rears its head when we have poor conditions and stressed fish. A grundle of tangs in a 75 will cause stress like no other.

9 fish in a 75 isn't the issue. Its the choices of fish in the system that are an issue. I have 7 in my 38 and heaven only knows how many in my 220. Its all about planning and choices. ANY tang that had nipped fins is under to much stress. Planning, research and control of your impulsive buying will go a long way in maintaining a awesome Marine environment. Or you will have nothing but problems and cause the death of many animals.

-------------
http://www.customaquariumfurniture.com" rel="nofollow - Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Posted By: McClure
Date Posted: May 15 2012 at 10:40am
Oh no!! I didn't feel like myself or anyone else was bashing. Sorry if you felt that way.

More so, I think people were trying to help with responsible reefkeeping so your pets did not suffer. So glad the shark has a new home. Is he eating now?

Date Posted: May 15 2012 at 4:17pm
Yeah he was eating, my friend wanted one. Sorry I didnt mean for it to sound like you werr being mean, I know where you are all commin from... Sorry I meant my nitrate teat kit. Registered I had 0ppm. Then took it to the lfs and it registered at 100 ppm and their maxes out at 100 ppm so it could of been higher. I bought a new test kit and I now never have more than 5ppm.

Date Posted: May 15 2012 at 4:19pm
And yes I know what ick is.

Posted By: Tanuki
Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 10:04am
Ich isn't tested by kits was the point they were making.  Tangs like live rock and hiding spots too. 

I know this is a different forum, but this is a great thread that maybe we could add to this site as well.  You should post your ideas there so that the veteran members can help you with compatibility before you spend your hard earned money on a potential disaster.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2068112 

and here is a great resource for tang info:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007 

-------------
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 2:57pm
I know you cant test for ich, I meant nitrates which caused my ich out break

Posted By: Tanuki
Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:31pm
I am not a scientist, but I don't think that nitrates can cause Ich.  A fish living in poor water that gets Ich will have less of a chance of surviving the Ich though because it is already weak from the poor conditions.  So do Nitrates help the spread of Ich? Yes, but that would be just because the fish is weakened by poor water.  Nitrates won't create Ich. 

-------------
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)

Posted By: cba191
Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:36pm
On the subject of Tangs.  I am looking at getting a 60g cube, but don't want fish that will outgrow it.  Will one of these need more space fully grown?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+3130&pcatid=3130" rel="nofollow - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+3130&pcatid=3130

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by cba191 cba191 wrote:

On the subject of Tangs.  I am looking at getting a 60g cube, but don't want fish that will outgrow it.  Will one of these need more space fully grown?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+3130&pcatid=3130" rel="nofollow - http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+3130&pcatid=3130

I think you would be ok it is one of the smaller growing tangs.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:52pm
Almost any full size tang will out grow a 60G- especially a 60 cube. Bristletooths included.

-------------
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:54pm
That's what I'm afraid of.  I've been thinking of a 93g cube as well, but with lighting there is a huge jump in expense.

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:55pm
It's basically the cube part, they don't have enough swimming space.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 6:01pm
I figured the cube might be too restrictive.  For me, it's a space issue.  I would love a 48" tank, but couldn't fit more than 36".  I've debated going with a 36"x 24"x 24 tank, but that would involve a total custom.  I doubt that would fit the budget.

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 9:36pm
Well,... I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I have kept Tangs in smaller tanks and have a good friend who had a 5" Naso in a 50 gal cube. It did well for 2 years very happy and active until a large rock crab grabbed it by the snout. Dead
If you would like, I'd be happy to advise you how to do it so everything works out.

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 9:51pm
I have kept a tang in a sixty cube as well and had no problems, that's why I said I thought he would be fine in the first post I made as they are a smaller growing tang.

-------------
Jackie Stuver

Date Posted: May 16 2012 at 9:51pm
Once I get moved and started on the build, I'm sure I'll be needing a lot of advice.  lol

Ultimately, I want both the fish and myself happy with it.

And I want it shimmery.

Posted By: rufessor
Date Posted: May 17 2012 at 2:38pm
Tangs and tank size is a guaranteed argument most everywhere.  This forum is probably one of the "nicest" places you will find.  Everyone here is trying to be helpful, but I can tell you that if you posted your specific fish load and tank size on just about any of the major reef keeping forums on line- you would be flamed, assassinated, and generally end up being just about tarred and feathered by the "tang police" as they are often termed.  

Your getting a pretty nice calm response from everyone here.  

That said, your very very very far outside of anything close to a recommended tang#/tank size ratio, so far outside of it that you are basically guaranteed to not receive a single post saying that your OK.  If you want to keep the tangs in the tank... well, its your tank, no one is going to stop you but you might as well forget about asking for help or seeking validation because its simply not going to come from people who have experience with these fish.  

Personally, I have a 3 ft long 57 gallon aquarium with a single yellow tang, and I have received at least one comment from an LFS employee that I should not have that fish in the tank... but they regularly stock and sell tang species that grow to about2 ft in length... and they have no problem doing so yet the number of tanks in the state that are capable of housing such an animal are probably less than the number of these animals they sell in a month, every month.  

You can keep the fish, they might even live for a while and grow, but the reason your getting these responses is that its simply not anything close to a viable long term (or really even short term) strategy and your pretty much guaranteed to have infighting, injuries etc.  Tangs as a species have a very thin slime coat- which is why they are typically the first to get and die from ich.  So, if you had ich once and you did not remove all fish from the tank for a few months, and then bring them in one at a time through a quarantine tank for another month or two to observe them... you still have ich- so when your tangs get injured from fighting, hitting stuff, whatever, they will get ich again.  

Hope this gives yet more perspective on why everyone says ... no.

-------------
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler -A.E.
57 Gallon RImless build in progress check the thread before if becomes boring and just full of nice pictures of colorful coral!

Date Posted: May 17 2012 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Well,... I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I have kept Tangs in smaller tanks and have a good friend who had a 5" Naso in a 50 gal cube. It did well for 2 years very happy and active until a large rock crab grabbed it by the snout. Dead
If you would like, I'd be happy to advise you how to do it so everything works out.

Or just ask weberlaxplayer. His group of tangs were very happy in his small tank also. I think they may have even told him that!
Sure, people keep tangs in small tanks all the time and they all sing Kumbaya together. And people butt in line at the supermarket because somehow their time is more valuable then yours. Yada yada. Still doesn't make it okay. There are many many beautiful small fish. I have nine of them in our 265G display tank and one beautiful 6" Male Blond Naso Tang. You'll get opinions on both side of the fence. However, I would suggest any "pet" in general, that will outgrow your living accommodations should never be brought home in the first place.

-------------

Date Posted: May 17 2012 at 4:57pm
That's why the only tangs I've even looked at are the smaller Ctenochaetus tangs

Posted By: grassfairy
Date Posted: May 17 2012 at 5:02pm
There was a guy who kept 3 tangs in a red sea 130, they looked ok and fat. they were 5 inches, hows that for small tank for tangs. He kept them for 2 years, they were small at the begining but really?

Date Posted: May 17 2012 at 5:22pm
If I was looking at a 30g, a tang wouldn't even be a consideration.  If I'm not able to get one, I'll be fine with it.  My #1 fish is hopefully going to be a marine betta.  :)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net