Print Page | Close Window

New here and new to reef keeping

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Introduce Yourself
Forum Description: Introduce Yourself the the club.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58334
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 5:14am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New here and new to reef keeping
Posted By: ajsahm
Subject: New here and new to reef keeping
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 1:59pm
Hi all!

My name is Lori and I just started my first tank the end of June.  It is a 29gal Biocube.  It has cycled and I have Two clowns and a 6 lined wrasse.  Oh and some hermit crabs.  I am looking forward to adding come corals.  I have a couple hitch hikers that are multiplying and two frags i bought that also have doubled in size.  So it seems all are growing well but so is ALL the algae.  It seems the hermit crabs only eat the green algae.  I have purple, redish purple, bright green, brownish green, and brown.  I have been testing my water and taking my water in to be tested and all looks wonderful.  So i am needing a cleaning crew but am not sure what eats what.  This is really a learn as you go project.  Smile

-------------

75g - In the process of building

Replies:
Posted By: tfmreefs
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 2:11pm
Welcome! I have had better luck with snails more then hermits, but i have a bunch of turbo snails and they dont leave the glass and they do a great job, and i have nassarius snails for my sand. The turbos also take care of my rocks but you will want to be careful due to the fact that turbo snails are like bulldozers!

-------------
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."

Posted By: lskurys
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 3:24pm
Welcome.  I am glad that you have been having fun.  We had a 28 gallon JbJ tank and snails worked pretty good for that.  Are you using any micro algad in a refuge?  I think that the bio cube had place in the back for it but not sure.   Also having a timer for your lights and maybe getting your light down to around 4 hours a day untill you have your algae under control. 

We are in Roy also so if you ever want to stop by and talk salt you are more than welcome.  I think I could even hook you up with a frag or 2. 

-------------
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's

Posted By: jwoo
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 3:30pm
Welcome! The 29 Bio is a great tank! We have one that we've had for a few years and man does that think always look awesome.

-------------
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Posted By: Shane H
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 4:00pm
Welcome!  I think that is the perfec tank to start out!

1) Can you tell us how frequently you are feeding and how much? 
2) What lighting do you have an how long is your day light cycle?
3) Do you have any supplemental circulation in the tank?  Another pump other than the standard return(s)?

I think the advice you have received "more snails" is spot on. 

Good luck!

Posted By: Molli
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 4:11pm
Hi Lori ! 

I am just a couple of months ahead of you with this hobby and I also have a Biocube29.  There are lots of helpful people here and lots of advice!  Welcome!  My first clean up crew members were also hermit crabs -- my algae was the brown stuff and they ate all of it in less than  day!  It was amazing!    Perhaps if they were given other algae choices they would have been pickier!  I also have snails now -- about 3 different kinds of snails.  My snails seem to be keeping the green algae in control more than the hermit crabs.

Posted By: 1stupidpunk
Date Posted: August 09 2012 at 4:48pm
Well adding more snails will help keep the amount of algae growing to a minimum... reducing the amount of nutrients that is allowing the algae to grow in the first place would be much more beneficial long term. I started out with a biocube and had alot of nuisance algae (mostly hair algae to be specific) the entire rockwork was covered, it was bad. I wasnt sure why i had so much as my phosphate levels always showed as being low. Someone explained to me that they are showing low because all the nuisance algae is consuming it to grow... After adding some phosban, increasing circulation, and slightly decreasing photoperiod (but not in the refuge if you use it) my hair algae slowly vanished!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net