Print Page | Close Window

First time raising Black Ice clownfish

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Breeding
Forum Name: Livestock Breeding and Rearing
Forum Description: This is the place to discuss breeding and rearing of our tank inhabitants.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69737
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 6:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: First time raising Black Ice clownfish
Posted By: Snowwhire
Subject: First time raising Black Ice clownfish
Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 12:17pm
My husband and I decided to try raising the eggs our Black ice clownfish have been laying. We got everything setup and have two good rotifer cultures going.

on night 8 we stayed up until 6am waiting for the fry to hatch and only one hatched.    It didnt survive. I think it was premature.   I also think we delayed the hatcing because we were both anxious and kept checking the eggs. With a flash light. On night 9 which was last night we turned all the pumps and lights out so the room was in complete darkness. We left the room for 45minutes and when we came back 98% of the eggs had hatched. Us being the the smart ones we are used my husbands cell phone flash light to attract the larval so I could siphon them. I bumped the phone and in the tank it went. So my husbands galaxy s4 is now fried. I'm hoping we'll be able to save at least enough fish to pay for his phone :/
Any ways I counted roughly 130 fry while siphoning.     I had rotifers and a little green water in some broodstock water I had prepared the night before. We added the fry and then I used a sieve to add some more rotifers. This morning I went to check on them and the fry looked a little sluggish so I feed rotifers again and all of them perked up and looked like they were doing great.
I'm excited to see how many survive and hoping to have some beautiful fish soon.
its definitely been a learning experience and a lot of work but it has been a ton of fun. I am still learning and probably will continue to do so even if I catch another batch later on.

-------------
Marie

Replies:
Posted By: mOnster
Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 12:31pm
That's so cOol !!

Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 12:59pm
This is a picture of the male daddy.   He is Premium Black Ice.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:01pm
This is the female Mommy. She is Black Ice...

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:03pm
Close up of the eggs the night they hatched

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:05pm

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:07pm

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:09pm
Here is video of them laying the eggs. Pretty cool video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQNKbRjmQ58&feature=youtube_gdata_player" rel="nofollow - Spawning

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 18 2014 at 1:11pm
Here is video of day 2 after hatch...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YEwEElqz5uA" rel="nofollow - Day 2 Larvae

-------------
Marie

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: February 19 2014 at 9:51am
Awesome. You are doing great.
I answered in your other thread about feeding.
Depending on how much light there was that first night from the flashlight, I doubt that it was the reason for no hatch. I agree that they just weren't ready.
Dim light from a flashlight with almost dead batteries or placing something over the lens to block most of the light is more useful and less bothersome to the eggs.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Posted By: sabeypets
Date Posted: February 19 2014 at 9:38pm
Cool!!!!
Shining a light directly on the eggs can/will cause a delayed hatch from day 8 to day 9.
There is usually high mortality rate around day 2 if you siphon, scoop is a much better alternative.
Good Luck. 

-------------
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Posted By: Nick801
Date Posted: February 19 2014 at 10:13pm
Thats awesome =)

-------------
http://www.reefinsanity.com" rel="nofollow - www.ReefInsanity.com
http://www.facebook.com/ReefInsanity" rel="nofollow - www.Facebook.com/ReefInsanity
801-680-4676

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 10:14am
Some people may not know it, but Nick801 has also raised clownfish. Clap

I agree with Shaun about scooping. When I siphoned the larvae, most of them started swimming in tight circles and died by the next day.

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 11:40am
Thanks everyone! Its been a lot of fun! I actually ordered a vossen larval trap for this next go. She should lay again today.
the siphon worked fine. Just tedious to to catch 100 larval lol. We'only have had 20% loss. Not too shabby for our first go at it. They are 4 days old today and doing great!
I started a brine shrimp hatchery last night so I will start feeding them a baby brine/rotifer combo tomorrow.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 11:50am
This is a video of how they are doing and what they look like today on day 4 after hatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wBhiWyTm5w&feature=youtube_gdata_player" rel="nofollow - Day 4 Larvae

-------------
Marie

Posted By: Jeepkid
Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 12:15pm
That is awesome. Looking forward to more updates as these little guys grow.

-------------
Brian.

"It's a Jeep thing!"

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 5:05pm
I will definitely keep updating

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Snowwhire Snowwhire wrote:

...I started a brine shrimp hatchery last night so I will start feeding them a baby brine/rotifer combo tomorrow.
Too soon for that.

Reminder from the other thread about when they can eat what.
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

Rotifers day 1 to day 14-24
NHBB day 10-12 to day 30++
Day 14-16 [and thereafter] dry and frozen

Only Rotifers up until around day 10, about the time when they start growing fast and pass through Metamorphosis. Until then they are too small to eat NHBB. I have even heard of small Clownfish Larvae choking to death on BS Nauplii. It's because they are very, very hungry all day long and will try to eat any swimming bug.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

-------------

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:18pm
Hmmm I was told to introduce the baby brine once a day at 5 days old but maybe I need to do some more research on that.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:20pm
Well at least I'll know about how long it will take to hatch the baby brine. I guess my display will enjoy a nice feast the next few days. I didnt know what NHBB was... see my post asking what that stood for. Now I know

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 26 2014 at 11:46pm
Whoo hoo! We've made it through to 10 days old! The larvae are doing great and I feel like all my research, preparation and hard work is paying off. Most have started or gone through metamorphosis and now I feel like I can breathe!

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: February 27 2014 at 7:11am
Clap

-------------

Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 2:52pm
They are earning their stripes. Most have gone through metamorphosis I think there is only 5 or 6 that haven't completed it yet. I was expecting to lose a bunch in meta but I haven't lost any in that phase... knock on wood. Most have their first stripe and some have started showing a second.

Does anyone have any knowledge of iodine dosing for enhancing their color?

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 2:54pm
Quick update...They are 13 days old now.
Here is a short video of them :) enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7j6QsSzmfo&feature=youtube_gdata_player" rel="nofollow - Day 13 black ice clownfish

-------------
Marie

Posted By: mOnster
Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 3:14pm
That's so cool !!!

Posted By: love2skiutah
Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 3:28pm
I love it!!  Very cool to see this

Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 5:27pm
Glad you guys like it. It's been very cool to watch them grow. It's definitely a rewarding experience.

-------------
Marie

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: March 01 2014 at 8:27pm
Very cool!

-------------

Date Posted: March 02 2014 at 1:01pm

-------------
Marie

Posted By: backwards32
Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 2:50pm
so what is the status of these little guys? how many of them survived?

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:18pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CFP4gT4ITk&feature=youtube_gdata_player" rel="nofollow - Day 18 black ice clownfish

They are doing great! I have 50 plus. I lost majority in the first two days when I was trying to figure out the lighting. I had about 60 after day 7-12 then lost a few that didn't make it through meta. I haven't lost any since day 14. They are eating baby brine and crushed flakes now and developing their stripes and color. I started fortifying the baby brine with selco at day 12.
I can't wait to do more now that I know more I believe I would have a lot better survival rate.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:24pm
Don't mind the quality of the pics. I've been taking all of then with my cell phone. Here's some of the Lil guys!

-------------
Marie

Posted By: bmac2
Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:26pm
it is funny, those are probably 1 inch pipe, but with those fish against them they look like 2 foot sewer pipe!!  Man those are small and cute.  Wish I had some of them!!!

-------------
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:31pm
Haha sewer pipe ^^^...its true it does. They are actually 2 inch pvc but yes the fish are tiny! And cute haha.
They are getting personalities too! It's fun to watch them interact with each other.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 06 2014 at 11:41pm

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 3:10pm
Update... Some have begun to get their third stripe. They are 20 days old and growing.
Haven't had any losses since Meta. They are eating baby brine and crushed flakes now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myDQj25zhqc&feature=youtube_gdata_player" rel="nofollow - Day 20 Black ice clownfish

-------------
Marie

Posted By: Hogie
Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 3:28pm
That's so cool!

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 5:19pm
Thanks for the videos. It's so awesome to see them wiggle around in their groups. It's also cool when the groups merge and separate.
Originally posted by Snowwhire Snowwhire wrote:

Does anyone have any knowledge of iodine dosing for enhancing their color?
  Dry processed flake and pellet foods typically make colors more drab. Foods with fresh algae make colors brighter. Carotenes in the algae eaten by Brine Shrimp and then eaten by Flamingos are what make Flamingos bright pink. Flamingos turn white when their diet lacks Carotenes. Yellow Tangs are brighter yellow because of the algae they eat (even though the algae itself is not that colorful). This color enhancing characteristic is just one of the positive effects of algae in an animals diet. Though an animal may not eat algae directly, it utilizes the carotenes eaten by its prey.

Of course these clowns of yours will eventually turn black, but I believe even that coloration is enhanced by algae. This seems to be the case with a black clown I recently acquired at about 1/2". It has grown to 3/4" and has grown blacker as it ages, eats the algae rich frozen meaty foods and picks a little on the algae in its tank. I rarely feed dry processed foods.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

P.S.
I believe that fish also reach an age where they begin to utilize Carotenes.

Post Larval Yellow Tang

YT at settlement

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2014 at 9:12pm
That is a very interesting read Mark. It makes complete sense. I add spirulina in with their food and enrich the brine with selco. Which both help with their markings be more defined. I have just read a few things on iodine dosing helping with this but decided the trace minerals in the water would do the same thing.   Also the fish vitamins added with enrichment actually has a small amount of iodine in it among other things. They are coloring very nicely and right on track so it's not something I am worried about its just interesting.

-------------
Marie

Posted By: peiji
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 1:53pm
Raising clowns is totally on my aquarium bucketlist. Right after jellyfish and before or after seahorses. Where did you go for most of your info on how to do it? 

-------------
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 2:10pm
I found that joyce wilkerson's book "clownfishes" helped the most but I did a lot of research online also. I watched YouTube videos of others fails and successes which helped prepare me for any unexpected trials I might run into. I would love to do seahorses also. From what I've read seahorses are a lot harder so I am conquering clownfish first.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 3:06pm
Update...
My babies are now 26 days old :) they are growing fast now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IElZ4S6o3aA&feature=youtube_gdata_player" rel="nofollow - 26 day old black ice clownfish

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 3:10pm

-------------
Marie

Posted By: jason
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 3:20pm
That is awesome I've done Seahorses of u have any questions let me know

-------------
if wishes were fishes we would all have some

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 3:28pm
That's great Jason! I will definitely be keeping you in mind for tthe seahorses. :)

-------------
Marie

Posted By: RossB
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 4:40pm

Hello Snowwhire,

I just lost the female of my clownfish pair that I have had for about 15 years. I was wondering if you were going to sell some of your babies. I'm really interested in some black clownfish.

Thanks,

Ross

P S.

Mark is helping me with posting this on the forum. It's my first time. My wife Carolyn makes the treats for every meeting. I'm just saying this so you know who I am.

Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 6:15pm
Ross i am so sorry to hear about your loss :(
15 yrs is a long time. thats got to be rough.
Yes I will be selling them. They won't be ready to go for at least 3 more months. They won't be completely black full grown. If you look at the pics of the parents at the beginning of this thread they have orange bellies that fade up to black with some very cool patterns for stripes. Keep an eye on this thread. I will be posting when it's about time for them to find a new home.

-------------
Marie

Posted By: Jeremyw
Date Posted: March 14 2014 at 6:42pm
ROSS! Welcome! Glad you are hear! Thanks Mark for helping him! 

Snowwhire: Thanks for the updated pictures, so cool! 

J

Date Posted: March 26 2014 at 9:29pm
Update...
52 days old and eating pellets and dried cyclopeeze.
It's crazy because some already are turning black and when I bought the breeding pair they had no black at a young age so I suspect these will have a very pitch black tone and then blend to orange. Their markings and lines are very defined and are starting to look like really beautiful fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb_l-J01JTk&feature=youtube_gdata_player" rel="nofollow - 52 day old black ice juveniles

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 26 2014 at 9:30pm

-------------
Marie

Posted By: kellerexpress
Date Posted: March 27 2014 at 3:58am
Very cool. I am interested in buying a pair when the time comes.

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Date Posted: March 27 2014 at 6:52am
That's awesome. How many babies do you have?

Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 11:09am
Doing great. Thumbs Up

Are they getting any frozen, algae enriched shrimp?

I would like to buy some as soon as you are able to let them go. I'll coordinate my trip to Ogden with a visit to Brine Shrimp Direct where I need to pick up more of their awesome frozen Arctic Copepods and Spirulina Enriched Brine Shrimp.

-------------

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 3:52pm
I love the clown in the first pic, it's mismatched stripe is awesome!

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 6:19pm
Thanks guys. There are some really cool patterns on these fish and they just keep getting more interesting.   

Mark every other day I feed them frozen Arctic Copepods from brine shrimp direct and live baby brine enriched with selco. I am dosing iodine also.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 6:21pm
Hogie I have roughly 60-70 of these beauties

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 10:37pm
Awesome. Have you newer batches of babies in the works?

-------------

Date Posted: March 28 2014 at 11:52pm
I'm not catching anymore until the summer is over. My family has a trip to Hawaii and lots of camping planned and caring for these guys wouldn't allow me to go anywhere so I will wait to do more. I have caught one other batch but it was really small only 12 fry in that one. They are a week old. The rocks fell and I think damaged the rest of the eggs from that one so only a few hatched.
I plan on continuing though. I really enjoy it and have good success with them.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: March 29 2014 at 7:17am
It's awesome to see your success. I don't find your name as a host on the Reef Tour? Cute baby clownfish are irresistible. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: April 03 2014 at 12:04am
I wanted to share some of the cool markings and color I'm seeing in some of these fish.

This one's gray 3rd stripe is so cool!

-------------
Marie

Posted By: kellerexpress
Date Posted: April 03 2014 at 1:27am
Very cool! How old do they have to be before you can start selling them? Just curious

-------------
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Date Posted: April 03 2014 at 8:54am
It really depends on their size. Some people start selling theirs when they are on dry food exclusively but generally they are around 4 months when they are old enough.

-------------
Marie

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: April 03 2014 at 3:01pm
Love them, I'm a sucker for misbar clowns

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: Matt
Date Posted: April 18 2014 at 12:45pm
Can we get some updated pictures please. I want to see how these guys are growing.

-------------
Matt Savage

"Tattoos and Street Bikes"

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 8:45pm
These aren't very good quality but I just snapped a few earlier with my phone.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 8:48pm
Thank you! I have been following this thread and they look great!

-------------
Matt Savage

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 9:46pm
This has been a fun thread to follow! Keep the updates coming.

Date Posted: April 19 2014 at 11:34pm
I got to thinking how long until they really start to turn black?

-------------
Matt Savage

Date Posted: April 20 2014 at 1:28am
Well there is one that is already black that is a misbar. There is a picture of it above. I really didn't pay attention to when the parents finally turned black but if I remember correctly it really didn't take long. I want to say about a year before they look like they do when they are mature color wise.
I have had a lot of fun doing this thread so I am glad some people have enjoyed it also.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: May 28 2014 at 8:43am
Isn't it about time for an update? Wink

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2014 at 9:24am
Any news? I hope you didn't lose them. Unhappy

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 5:34pm
Wow so many messages and comments from everyone... I am so sorry I haven't responded before now. I have been cut off from the electronic/digital world for the summer.
First I want to say thank you to all those who have helped and supported me throughout my first go at raising these little guys.
Now as far as an update... it pains me so much to think about it but I lost all my baby clownfish.   We're not sure exactly what they got but we're thinking it was ich or a fungus. It could also have been a possible containiment from my children which is more likey. I took a break after that happened because I was devastated! I had spent so much time raising them and they all died within a 24hr period. They were my Babies and I took pride in each and everyone of them :( It really was hard but I'm back and I am ready to try again. I have started sterilizing all my tanks and equipment and once my rotifer culture is back up and going strong I will be raising them again!
Thanks again everyone!

-------------
Marie

Posted By: Molli
Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 8:50pm
So sorry that happened to you.  They were cute little buggers in the pics you posted here.

Date Posted: August 27 2014 at 9:39pm
That's unfortunate. Cry

If it was something that got in the water, I'm not sure I would sterilize the tanks. The bio-film that forms on all the surfaces is part of the biofiltration. The reason I bring this up is because I had a couple visits with the breeder from whom I rescued about 100 clownfish this summer. Since this first batch, which became deformed, he has not been able to raise larvae past 7 days. Jason Sabey and I believe a large part of the problem is due to poor water quality. He was depending almost wholly on water changes, but could not keep up with the pollution caused by so many growing fish in bare tanks. I offered suggestions on how to improve his success with biofiltration rather than water changes.

FWIW, the way I see it, Biofiltration is much more than just the Nitrogen Cycle. There are many biological processes that go on simultaneously in a living system. Providing the right environment for effective processes ensures health and strengthens animals, even in the presence of unwanted parasites and pathogens. If things take an unexpected wrong turn, a healthy system can more quickly get back on the right path.

I would be happy to visit with you and you are welcome to visit me to pick up a few pointers.

Aloha Hug
MarksReef Coral (&fish) Farm
808-345-1049 (please call/text ahead)
750 E. Lakepoint Dr. (~5550 S.) #4V Murray

-------------

Posted By: DanhNgo
Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 2:11pm

That's really sad. I have some Wyoming White that's spawning in my tank. When you 're ready I can get some a couple of batches.

-------------
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 6:44pm
That's a great offer Danh. Of course Danh knows that another hobbyist and I used to do that. We would go get the larvae after dark, take them home to our systems and raise them. I also used to remove the almost hatched eggs from a hobbyist's tank, take them to my Clownfish Nursery and raise them. Worked out pretty well. Here is the thread about it. http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48272" rel="nofollow - http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48272

Aloha  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 7:25pm
I appreciate both of your offers! You two are very kind.
I may take you up on getting a batch from you Danhngo.
Mark I did have a bio filter on both juvenile tanks. This time I have a different setup I am working on and will have a refugium running on the grow out tanks. I've talk with multiple breeders and have decided this is the best course of action to take.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: August 28 2014 at 7:29pm
The reason I am cleaning the tanks is because I emptied them after losing the juveniles because I would be gone for the summer. No sense in running tanks that wasnt going to have anything in them for 6 months.

-------------
Marie

Date Posted: August 29 2014 at 6:57am
"I've talk with multiple breeders and have decided this is the best course of action to take."

Did those include some local WMAS Members? Maybe it's not easy to tell, but there is an enormous amount of expertise that exists in the WMAS. As a group, we have always been on the cutting edge of the hobby, trying new things and developing methods that led out ahead, often paving the way for the rest of the hobby. This group has existed longer than most. I believe this forum may have began before Reefcentral. Many of the experienced WMAS Members have stopped posting here because they are tired of answering the same questions over and over for all the new people that come in to the hobby every year. Many of these locals, including Danh, are as knowledgeable as the guests we bring in to our meetings, they just very humble. They would rather listen and learn bits of new knowledge from the guest speakers. Anyone that has not taken advantage of the knowledge to be gained in discussions with experienced WMAS hobbyists and guests at the monthly meetings, is really missing out.

Aloha  Hug

-------------

Posted By: ptronsp
Date Posted: June 07 2015 at 6:34pm
I love reading your thread. I use to breed and raise clown fish as well and I know how attached you get to them. I am so sorry for the end result. Very interesting thread that WTG you did an awesome job!!!

Pam

-------------

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Posted By: kevin.st
Date Posted: October 29 2015 at 10:59am

I really enjoyed reading about your foray into breeding.  I hope to one day make the plunge.  I have a mated pair of clarkii clowns that I hope will start to breed. I will surely detail my experiences here. 

I look forward to reading about your next try!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net