Print Page | Close Window

losing color

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Specialized Discussion
Forum Name: SPS
Forum Description: This is the place to ask questions SPS corals.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72271
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 2:54am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: losing color
Posted By: Reefer4Ever
Subject: losing color
Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 6:02pm
I have had this piece for about 4 months now and it has added about an inch of growth. In the past 3 weeks it has been losing its color going towards gray. I run a pretty low nutrient system and have always done well until now. I did add a RBTA just after seeing it start to gray on the very top edge. The nem has never bothered it and the nem eats well with no problems. Other corals in the tank are doing fine will nothing changing. Calc 500 alk 9.5 nitrates 0 phos 0 mag 1400 sal 26. I have never done any spot feeding before with this coral but I do spot feed others and have always just let the coral pull from the AI's for light and whatever is in tge water. I do 10% weekly WC oh temp high of 79.8 avg is around 77. I will add a pic shortly.
[IMG]http:// http://s42.photobucket.com/user/dmwimett/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140723_173745_zpsmu9iqnak.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG]       [IMG]http:// http://s42.photobucket.com/user/dmwimett/media/Mobile%20Uploads/imageddddddd_zpsfqy0mn3z.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG] don't know what this is.   [IMG]http:// http://s42.photobucket.com/user/dmwimett/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image045_zpsdkajbfll.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG]   there is also birds nest purple I hope that helps

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Replies:
Posted By: ReefdUp
Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 6:07pm
What color is the coral supposed to be? How are you measuring phosphate? Is your salinity 26ppt or specific gravity 1.026? Big difference... Do you have similar color/type corals to the one that is losing color? What type of coral is it?

-------------
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 6:12pm
Its a Leng Si cap green. I have uploaded pics before but now it wants a web address do you know how I can change that to upload from my phone. SG 1.026 sorry made an assumption.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 6:19pm
I use the Red Sea to check my phosphates and its about 2 months old.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 7:47pm
How's your algae growing? I ask for two reasons...one is that I bet your phosphates aren't actually 0. The Red Sea test isn't great. Two...you could be low on a trace element (need more info to determine which one). Please post a picture ASAP along with a full tank picture (I use Photobucket...don't know beyond that.)

Do you have any other SPS? If so, what type and color?

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:23pm
I really struggle with getting algae to grow in my tank. My overflow is the only place some grows and my yellow tang keeps that clean. Thank you for the photo bucket idea. I am posting other pics now.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:35pm
See if you can find someone with an iron test kit...or dose very small amounts to see if the situation improves. I'd offer up my test kit, but work/school/baby are killing me right now.

The reason I'm going with lack of a trace element rather than low nutrient is the "gray" coloration you mentioned. When people describe their corals as "gray", it's usually a trace element issue (in fact, I've never seen it be a food issue.) Low iron, potassium, and iodine/iodide are quite common.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:37pm
Ok, just saw the pictures.

Try moving the coral lower, try feeding a bit more, AND try dosing a teeeeny bit of iron (test if you can). It may be a combination of all those issues.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 8:40pm
You're awesome, thank as I wouldn't have ever thought iron. Glad I got the pics up and it seemed to help.
Thank you again I will keep you posted.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: July 23 2014 at 10:06pm
What salt are you using? It's unusual to see a case of low iron in a tank like yours, but that's what it looks like. I'm betting the coral is in a "perfect storm"-low nutrients and high light-and the zooxanthallae stressed.

Next time you're at the LFS, I'd have them check your alk to know that your test is still good too.

One last thing to check... Get a close eye on the coral and look for teeeeeeny black dots. Montiporas can get 'black bugs'.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: PDoug
Date Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:03pm
Just Curious is this recovering ?

-------------
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 6:46am
Yes within just a few hours of dosing iron it colored back up a bit, but mostly ove the past few weeks it has almost completely come back to full color with seemingly no ill affects. I am one very happy man to have Nikki around with her background and knowledge. Thank you for asking. I will post some current pics later today just in case anyone wants to see.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 11:50am
[IMG] http://s42.photobucket.com/user/dmwimett/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140725_200923_zpsqn6kymwi.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG]

A ton of blues sorry as I did ask my wife to send me a picture and I didnt even think about if the whites were on yet. At any rate its flouresing wonderfully as you can see.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Posted By: PDoug
Date Posted: August 06 2014 at 6:02pm
Awesome thanks for the update

-------------
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 11:24am
Update: dealing with some phosphates

[IMG]http:// http://s42.photobucket.com/user/dmwimett/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141026_111125_zpsmyyc3fd_edit_1414344143788_zpsw3jtunvg.jpg.html" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG]

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 6:57pm
Much better!!!

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 6:59pm
Agreed, also growing like crazy. Thank you again Nikki.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 8:34pm
Wow!  My advice would have been... huge water change.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Posted By: builderofdreams
Date Posted: October 26 2014 at 9:34pm
Not tring to steal this thread but have recently(withn the 2 months) been testing trace elements and i always have to dose Iron, its always at 0. Tested my other system just to make sure the test was good and it was at 20, if i remember correctly. Anyway im glad you were able to fix your problem but  dosing iron for me  has had no effect on my sps or anything noticable for that matter. Of course my corals were not discolored either. Just seems Odd how my tank could flourish without it.
 Welcome to Salt i guess.

-------------
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 12:24am
Iron is quickly depleted; I'm usually at 0 as well. Iron is not the only factor of green. If you have algae, it's probably using the iron up before you test, similar to phosphates.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

Iron is quickly depleted; I'm usually at 0 as well. Iron is not the only factor of green. If you have algae, it's probably using the iron up before you test, similar to phosphates.
I figured thats how it worked simliar to phosphates but i dont have algae in my display.

-------------

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Posted By: Lewy
Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 4:33pm
dumb question? how do you dose iron? I assume you can't just get Ironite from HD and drop a couple prills in right.

-------------
40 gal w/ 20 sump

Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 5:54pm
i use a liquid.

-------------

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 8:13pm
Kent Iron and Manganese supplement used here.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Posted By: Lewy
Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 8:18pm
no way. I so expected Mark to have a home made version of it. :)

-------------
40 gal w/ 20 sump

Posted By: Krazie4Acans
Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Kent Iron and Manganese supplement used here.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Just fell out of my chair and twisted my ankle. Name brand?

-------------
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63568&title=krazies-nano-paradise" rel="nofollow - Tank Thread:

Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 8:25pm
I expected to hear that he just leaves a nail in the tank to rust! ;)

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 8:36pm
Omg Nikki it's been a very long Monday and I needed that. Does running gfo add iron to the tank?

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Posted By: Krazie4Acans
Date Posted: October 27 2014 at 8:39pm
I figured he just ground up GFO soaked it in RO water and then would let it settle out and use that in his glug jug top off.  :)

-------------
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63568&title=krazies-nano-paradise" rel="nofollow - Tank Thread:

Date Posted: October 28 2014 at 8:29am
LOL 
Why not? 
Of course, I considered those DIY methods, but nothing seemed to answer the need like the Kent product. Even considered inexpensive Iron supplements for plants, but they all contained other mineral substances which wouldn't be so good for the reef. I figured a nail will rust (GFO is pretty much just rust) but rust won't dissolve Iron into the water, at least not in the quantities needed, right?

Aloha  Hug

P.S.
I use AA rather than GFO because it seems to work faster and does not require slow tumbling in a chamber(one less piece of equipment to mess with Smile). I just place a loose media bag of AA near the skimmer intake, watch it turn color from bright white to dark tan over 2-4 months then replace it.

-------------

Date Posted: November 27 2014 at 8:24am
Just wanted to post a picture as it's fully recovered and growing very quickly. [IMG]http:// http://s42.photobucket.com/user/dmwimett/media/att_1416618880778155_zps9malfkcz.jpeg.html" rel="nofollow"> [/IMG]

Thank you Nikki :)

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: November 27 2014 at 9:08am
Yay!!! Glad I could help! Glad it was an easy fix too!

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: Pete Moss
Date Posted: December 05 2014 at 8:13am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I expected to hear that he just leaves a nail in the tank to rust! ;)

*slow clap*

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB

Posted By: Trevor40
Date Posted: December 09 2015 at 9:34am
I just read through this post. Funny thing is I have had a feeling I needed to add Iron to my tank since the Macro algae isn't as dark green as it usually is and I feel that some of my acro greens are fading slightly.

I added Iron last night and am hoping that helps.

My question to all of you is do you regularly dose iron or just watch for the signs and dose as needed? I use to done Aquavitro's Fuel regularly but got tired of buying it all the time. Now I have a Kent Marine Iron Supplement.

-------------
Call or Text (801)834-3119

Posted By: LakeCityReefs
Date Posted: April 23 2016 at 1:32pm
Old thread but I am also trying to maintain the best colors possible in my SPS.
I have a 55-60 gallon total system. I do 20% water changes monthly with regular IO. I dose alkalinity in my ATO along with a pinch of Mag. I hand dose calcium every 3-4 days. I use a half dose of Fuel every 3-4 days.

I notice that the Fuel doesn't have all of the elements previously mentioned in this thread.

Any suggestions?

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: April 23 2016 at 1:42pm
Are you using IO purple bucket or orange. I used to use the purple until I was taught that it had very little to any trace elements that corals need to thrive. Purple is fantastic for fish only heck look at what these huge aquariums use. Case in point The Aquarium use IO purple for their fish only systems and reef crystals for their coral / reef systems. Just my .02 and I'm sure somebody will pipe in that disagrees with me. As such is life.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: April 23 2016 at 3:49pm
Im using the purple. Colors aren't terrible but they're not the best either nor is the growth. But hey its still a young tank (~2 months).
Maybe someone else will chime in with different products that may contain the potassium etc.

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: April 25 2016 at 4:46pm

I don't know if Fuel has been reformulated in the last couple years, but it used to cause problems for some hobbyist tanks. 

Kent is one of the original reef aquarium product companies. They have always had a very good handle on the reefkeeping industry. Their Coral-Vite and Essential Elements are products that many other companies have tried to duplicate. I always use these two in alternating doses to keep things doing well in my coral farming operations. I also use Kent Iodine for Xenia and coral in general and Kent Iron-Manganese for both families of algae, the Macro and the Zooxanthellae. 

I believe you are on the right track. Two months is too early to be worried about dosing anything other than Alk, Ca and Mg if needed. There are quite a lot of other processes trying to find a balance in your tank. These processes are unknown in their purpose and effect. There has been very little written about them. Just to mention one, the Sulfur Cycle, is very important yet only just touched on in our hobby. This may be hard to hear, but the more the tank is messed with at this young age, the more it's being put at risk for an unknown problem to arise. In my experience, Coral don't do their best until the tank has aged about 6 months. After that, general improvements and growth can come swiftly.

For what it's worth, that my 2 cents.    Oh, I believe in using the economical, standard (purple) IO salt, too. Smile

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 7:21am
But Mark I'm ready to add some more SPS sticks to my tank now HAHA!
BSTUVER's tank is only 6 months old and looks fantastic, I wanna be like her.

Seriously though, I've been reading a lot about maintaining coral growth & colors. I just want to do what is best and economical. Thanks for the advice on the kent products, I'll check them out. 

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: kevin.st
Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 9:07am
Last year, I moved to Utah from southern CA.  I was also a member of the local reef club there.  Within that club, there were quite a few insane reef tanks.  Everyone in that club used the cheap IO mix.  The club bought the stuff by the pallet(s) and we got a killer price.

Once I saw how everyone in the club was using it, never had issues and the success that can be had, I was sold forever.  

Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 5:35pm

It's really hard for any of us to be patient while the biology grows and stabilizes, enabling us to continue adding more delicate animals. Ying Yang

I would need to check her build thread but I assume that Jackie used a lot of live organisms from the start, maybe LS, LR, LW and Macroalgae from her previous tank or others nearby.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 9:18am
I thought I would come back to share what I found out and how I have started to get my SPS colors to improve. As it turns out my old philosophy of keeping N03 and P04 as low as possible really doesn't give corals what they need. I was so worried about stripping my water clean that I was actually taking away what my corals needed to feed on. I am trying to keep N03 at 5-10 ppm and P04 at .05-.1 and SPS and colors are improving. 

I am still running carbon and refreshing monthly. I dose potassium nitrate as needed for N03. I have reduced Phosguard to minimal amounts for P04 as needed depending on test results. I am still skimming and running Calurpa in my sump. A big factor to these changes is that I have switched from API to Salifert test kits.

Since this is a change to my normal routine I am going to give it some time to settle in before I make any other changes. If I'm still not seeing the complete results I'm hoping for I am kicking around the idea of switching from LED to T5 in a few months.

All in all I am happy with the changes I have made thus far. I hope that this might also help others that are struggling with SPS colors and growth. 

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: kevin.st
Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 10:17am

I would be interested to see how switching to t5's would impact established tank.  I recently switched to an 8 bulb t5 and after 2 months, I am sold.

Posted By: Marcoss
Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 11:57am
I'm sold on T5s as well. I have one tank with T5s and another with Kessil and I prefer the vividness of the corals on the T5 tank. I'm sure the T5 gets better growth but I cannot prove it because of so many variables.

-------------
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 4:49pm
It's great to hear that the tank is maturing.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

It's great to hear that the tank is maturing.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

I attribute the positive to dosing potassium nitrate and better test kits. I'm still hoping for better results due to maturity in another 3-6 months.

-------------
Here we go again

Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 5:56pm
Any recommendations on T5 bulb combinations? I'm thinking about a 6 bulb ATI fixture

-------------
Here we go again

Posted By: phys
Date Posted: July 31 2016 at 1:20am
check this out for the cobos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSS_PoUX6o

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net