Print Page | Close Window

Tangs compatibility

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Help
Forum Name: General Help
Forum Description: The place to ask about pest, problems, hitchhikers, etc.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73090
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 11:48pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tangs compatibility
Posted By: Blytle
Subject: Tangs compatibility
Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 7:35pm
Gi I was hoping I could get some insight on.compatible tangs fpr my 75 gallon tank I feel,like I am getting conflicting information at the stores. I want to get a powder blue tang and wanted to get either a blue hippo or something that would add some good color. What is a good tang tankmate for him? Do I add them together? Thank you for help.

Replies:
Posted By: DMower
Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 7:48pm
Powder blues are very difficult to keep alive in captivity, hit and miss.  Be prepared to spend a bit (meaning you will likely have to buy more than one before you find one that survives) and not be too upset when it dies. 

I would not put two tangs in a 75 unless they were very small.  Be prepared to remove as they get too big to be comfortable.  The blue hippo and powder blue would likely get along for some time if they are small (as in less than two inches or so). 

Look at the bristletooth tangs instead (Ctenochaetus sp.). There are several good/better choices of tang for smaller tanks, where you can keep the fish long term.

-------------
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 9:24pm
You probably already know this, but nothing should be added to the tank at this time. Because the anemone just died, anything else added to the tank right now could be dead within days. Water parameters and other info asked for in your anemone thread will be helpful.

The reason for conflicting opinions is because there is a wide range of experience among people, including store employees. Stores want to sell stuff so their opinions are not always completely reliable. We have some really good stores with decent store owners, but this forum is the best place for honest answers. The only reason we are here, is to help. 

Almost anything can be done in almost any size tank, but it takes know-how. I strongly advise staying away from Powder Blue and Powder Brown Tangs. I don't keep them. They are extremely social fish that need to be with their own kind. Taken out of the ocean, moved through 3-5 holding tanks before they get into a hobbyist tank with other kinds of fish makes them very stressed, leading too easily to a fatal sickness.

I'm sure you have discovered that a reef tank has very little in common with a goldfish bowl. It takes knowledge of how to make it happen in this hobby and there is a lot to learn. Below is a pic from one of my 75 gal tanks that housed two large Tangs, a large Rabbitfish, some Angelfish and 6 or 7 other fish. This was in 2006. The fish were already large when introduced to the tank. I had been in the hobby for 13 years at that point. 

Hang around here, learn from other hobbyists and check out their tanks whenever you can. 

Aloha,
Mark Hug
See the Reefkeeping Tips  http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244" rel="nofollow - http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Posted By: Blytle
Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:24pm
Mark I appreciate the insight. I am not planning on doing anything for a little while until I know things are stabile again in my tank. I have also done a water change and lowered the salinity. I'm just trying to do my homework before we get our final two fish for this tank. Then working on learning more about corals and caring for those. Are phosphate reactors a good investment or are they not needed? Thanks again.

Posted By: BobC63
Date Posted: September 25 2014 at 10:53pm
Brett -

First off, sorry to hear about your anemone.

Now I have to ask you a few questions?

1) How long has this tank been set up and running? Reason I ask is I suspect this is a fairly new setup. I have not had great luck with anemones in newly set up aquariums; I suspect this may be a factor in your nem's rapid demise

2) Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but exactly what are your tanks specific  readings for Alk, Ca, and (more importantly) nO2 and nO3? And "good" is not a specific enough answer

3) How much live rock do you have in your tank? And by "live", I mean TRUE live rock that you purchased as established live rock from either a store or another hobbyist; dry rock does NOT count

4) Do you run a skimmer? What brand / model? A refugium? Carbon?

I agree with Mark, do not add anything until you figure out why that anemone died so quickly. IMO you could put 2 tangs in your 75g tank; however, not until the tank has been up and running for 6 months minimum (9+ months would be preferred). I would choose 2 different shaped fish (example being a Hippo and a Sailfin) as 2 similar shaped species may not get along.

If you have your heart set on a Powder Blue, I think it would be OK in a 75 - but I would wait until the tank is 12 months old, minimum. And I would look for an individual around 2.5 - 3 inches in size; and it absolutely MUST be eating (you must see it eat) before you buy it.

A pO4 reactor is a good thing to have long - term, but not absolutely necessary.

-------------
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Date Posted: September 26 2014 at 8:36am
Bob and I are on the same page. Thumbs Up Together, our experience in this hobby totals over 50 years, so you can count on solid advice.

Hug

-------------

Posted By: Crazy Tarzan
Date Posted: September 26 2014 at 3:48pm
Only bad things tend to happen quickly in a reef tank.  Time and patience are your friends.  Only thing I could add after Bob and Mark.

And salinity needs to be stable more than 'lower'  though you may want to test your salinity before you add top off water (unless you've set up an ATO system), to make sure it's within range then.

-------------
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: September 26 2014 at 4:56pm
Didn't read above but I say don't get a powder blue.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Date Posted: September 26 2014 at 9:39pm
With Adam, Crazy Tarzan and DMower that adds another 50 years or so to the experienced advice calculation for a total of over 100 years. Wink

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net