Print Page | Close Window

Improving Club Meetings - Suggestions & Sign Ups!

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Suggestion Box/Recommendations
Forum Description: This is the place to submit recommendations to the WMAS presidency.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74736
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 2:51am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Improving Club Meetings - Suggestions & Sign Ups!
Posted By: ReefdUp
Subject: Improving Club Meetings - Suggestions & Sign Ups!
Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 9:08pm
I was a bit surprised and disappointed to see that Krazie4Acans and Fatman aren't presenting on LEDs for the lighting meeting. They're the two most-knowledgeable on the subject in the club that I know, and they've spent a TON of time helping members (including me).

Guys, don't take this personally...but it saddens me to see all past/current presidency members speaking at meetings but not utilizing members we have in the club. I'm sure you Presidency members have enough on your plates without speaking, and I'm sure there are members who would love to share their expertise.

Neither one of them asked me to say anything or even mentioned this to me. I'm saying this because I feel like the same people dominate the club to the point where no one else feels welcome to participate. It's part of why I'm no longer a member.

Again, this isn't personal. I have a ton of respect for some of you. I just think there's room for improvement. Just my $0.02.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Replies:
Posted By: proskier101
Date Posted: February 06 2015 at 9:25pm
based off those led set ups. i think this is an awesome idea!

Posted By: BobC63
Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:11am

From my perspective...

Having Kevin or Jeff - or both - involved in this meeting would be AWESOME. I will contact them and see if they are interested. Heck, like Nikki suggested, I would love to have meetings that showcased our Members talents, and took some of the burden off of the Presidency to run it all.

And, from the Presidency point of view (at least mine, anyway) I don't think it gets looked at as purposely not utilizing our more knowledgeable members talents; most times the Presidency just kind of divides up the meeting duties / responsibilities amongst ourselves to ensure we can have all facets of a particular meeting covered. We might also be a little 'gun shy' because we have had a few past instances where members agreed to head up a meeting / present at a meeting, but then ended up 'flaking out' sometimes the day of the meeting.

I agree, we (the Presidency) could do a better job soliciting volunteers.

But, you know what? I would also LOVE to have some of our members and guests just ASK to be included, or volunteer with, or even suggest, meeting topics they would like to see. That almost never happens. Heck, I have a hard enough time getting Tank Of The Month volunteers. So far this year I have just 2 lined up (that I need to get firmed up, note to self). In 2014, we had 8 TOTMS; 3 of them were Presidency tanks.

A good example of one time it DID happen would be the "Iron Chef" thing we did the last 2 summers. The original idea to do it came from Bacot Dinchak, not from anyone in the Presidency. And she not only suggested it, she helped plan it, advertise it, and then participated in it. And I only got involved because we couldn't get a 2nd non - Presidency person to commit to participate - otherwise we would have had two regular members battling it out and running the whole meeting.

So I do agree that we definitely have room to improve. But I look at the idea of 'dominating' people more as us asking for volunteers to come forward... and almost everyone then takes a step backward - leaving the same small group of people who didn't step back standing out front; volunteering yet again and perhaps looking like they are 'dominating' the Club.

-------------
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Posted By: Pete Moss
Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 2:39am
Have to agree. Jeff and Kevin are led masters. Would be nice to see the leading talent in LED lighting presenting. I would pay for a membership again just to see Nikki do a presentation on coral anatomy. How about the local sellers like Nick doing presentations on fragging corals? How about an underwater photography meeting spotlighting affordable water proof cameras? Power point presentations and videos spotlighting fish species and their care requirements could be in every meeting. The reason I didn't pay for a membership again is because I don't want to hear old knowledge, I want new information. No offense, but I don't want to hear about T8 and MH lighting. They're dying technologies.

You can't really expect members to ask to give presentations in the meetings, I really think that responsibility lies with the presidency. I personally have never seen any post asking members to participate in any meetings. While I'm sure it has happened before, it isn't a proactive cause. I personally would LOVE to give a presentation on light, spectrum analysis, and zooxanthellae as it is something I have researched extensively. I just never knew it was a possibility.

Tank of the month is a poor analogy. It is been running for years and years. Most of the serious hobbyists have been spotlighted.

Iron chef is a great example, it peaked lots of interest. A member had to come to the presidency though. I personally have tons of formulas for homemade food, I was never aware I could have been battling it out for glory.

Not to belittle anything the presidency does for the hobby, great folks, there is just definitely room to improve membership participation. The meeting model just feels a little stagnant.

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 9:58am
Having been in Bobs place for the first ~8 years of this clubs existence, I'm in total agreement with his viewpoint. It's also very awesome that Nikki made the suggestion. It would be nice to see someone step up to home plate. Heck, nobody really cares about sunlight, I know I'm the oddball so I'd be happy to give up my part if someone else wants to do the work.

Volunteer organisations are tricky. The leaders, who are of course, volunteers too, are faced with a hard task. For whatever reason, being a part of this club has always been enjoyable for me. My wife and I always go to the after meeting dinners at nearby restaurants. Everyone is invited but it's rare that anybody else comes besides Presidency. The announcement regarding dinner is often omitted since nobody else comes.

After the January Frag Fest meeting, instead of the usual dinner, there was a Presidency Meeting. When I found out, I asked to sit in on it. (Any Member is welcome to sit in.) I just sat and listened. It was awesome. The amount of care that goes into this club is utterly fantastic. The Presidency is made up of people who really care about each of you, Members and Guests. They work hard to provide meaningful content at meetings and to keep things going. They know that people are busy with their lives. They know it takes a lot of commitment to get involved. Believe me, they are eager to have others get involved. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

P.S.
For a couple years there was another local club. It eventually fizzled. The one person that was most interested could not get any help and as far as I know he no longer keeps a reef aquarium.

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 10:51am

Pete -

I think your suggestions are great! We are always looking for meeting topic suggestions.

And we are working on getting our LFS (both home - based and brick - and - mortar) more involved in our meetings.

I am very open to getting us to 'think outside the box' as far as our meeting format, topics, and who our presenters are. We want the meetings to be as informative and enjoyable as possible. And I would love to see a 'packed house' at every meeting.

If you have a meeting presentation that you want to share with the Club - and it sounds like you do - then let's make it happen! Let me talk with Jeremy,  and we will get back to you...

-------------

Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 10:54am
Do we know who is speaking at the meeting?  I hadn't heard anything about it.  I just saw (at the banquet) that the next meeting was on lighting but that's all I've heard.

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Do we know who is speaking at the meeting?  I hadn't heard anything about it.  I just saw (at the banquet) that the next meeting was on lighting but that's all I've heard.

Adam

It says you, me and Mark, LOL... but I'd rather see Kevin, Jeff and Pete Wink

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 11:18am
Agreed, do that.

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Reefer4Ever
Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:02pm
I find your comment Bob a bit intriguing as a presidency member asked if I would be interested in having my tank spotlighted as the tank of the month, they did say that this did not mean it would be chosen. I am now left feeling that I have not been a member long enough or maybe just not in the right click with some of you. I appreciate all that the Presidency does to keep this forum moving forward, but opening it up to input from all members sure sounds like a good idea to me. Your choice of words describing those that were not able to keep there commitments (flaking out), well I found that to be a horrible thing to say and as a member what would be said about me if I missed something. Again understand I know you all have a lot on your plate but this post has really rubbed me the wrong way.

Thanks

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:05pm
I would be more than happy to come do a presentation on zoox and light spectrum. I could even set up a microscope and dissect a coral so anyone interested can see zoox for themselves. I will leave the discussion of lighting solutions up to people who know more than me on that subject though.

Thanks for not taking my advice as aggression.

Let me know if you want me to prep a presentation.

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Posted By: Krazie4Acans
Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:25pm
I sat back to see where this was going to go yesterday. I was worried that it was going to get negative and  I can see that it has not taken that turn. 

I would not be apposed to the idea of doing a meeting at all. 

I am obviously pretty passionate about LED lighting and its benefits and capabilities. I would be more than happy to volunteer to do a meeting with Kevin and even others. That said March is not a great month for me to throw that on my plate.

I would also really appreciate some suggestions on topics for said meeting. I am quite versed in LED builds, controller interfaces, LED driver theory, DIY techniques, Circuits and PCB design, and even a bit into Spectrum and Chlorophyll absorption (although Pete and Nikki are better versed here).

As far as topics for additional meetings. How about something on Controller setup and programming? I've got lots of experience in Apex controllers (and advanced programming) and DIY Arduino based controllers.

What about a meeting on DIY mechanical filtration? Media reactors (Carbon, GFO, Bio-Pellet, de-Nitrators, Calcium, etc...), Algae turf scrubbers, ATO's, etc...

DIY Sumps?

Media reclamation? (GFO, DI resin, etc...)

Just some that come to mind. Maybe some voting on topics by forum users (as apposed to keeping it a surprise until the schedule is released), then once the main topics are decided vote again on sub topics to tailor the meetings to what the users are saying they want information on?

Feel free to hit me up. Krazie

-------------
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63568&title=krazies-nano-paradise" rel="nofollow - Tank Thread:

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:34pm
Woo! Jeff is on board.

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by Reefer4Ever Reefer4Ever wrote:

I find your comment Bob a bit intriguing as a presidency member asked if I would be interested in having my tank spotlighted as the tank of the month, they did say that this did not mean it would be chosen. I am now left feeling that I have not been a member long enough or maybe just not in the right click with some of you. I appreciate all that the Presidency does to keep this forum moving forward, but opening it up to input from all members sure sounds like a good idea to me. Your choice of words describing those that were not able to keep there commitments (flaking out), well I found that to be a horrible thing to say and as a member what would be said about me if I missed something. Again understand I know you all have a lot on your plate but this post has really rubbed me the wrong way.

Thanks

Dennis, not sure if it was me or someone else who spoke with you about your tank... but I would love to have you for a TOTM. I am still working on setting up a schedule for photography (Mike S usually does all the setup but he has been ill recently) and so we are a little behind. I have a couple of other volunteers who gave me phone numbers, and I need to get back to them as well.

Sorry if my earlier post rubbed you the wrong way, let me explain a little better. We have had a few instances where a member volunteered to do a meeting presentation, we advertised it for weeks, promoted it for weeks, got it all set up... then, the day of the meeting, they either cancelled an hour before or flat out never showed up or even called. That's what I meant by 'flaking out'... I know stuff happens, but in these instances they left the whole Club hanging. And if my memory is correct, the persons who backed out knew they couldn't keep their commitment a week or more ahead of time, but did not have the courtesy to let us know until an hour before the meeting - Or even one or 2 who just flat out disappeared. I guess that has made me rely more on other Presidency members for meeting presentations and support.

I am glad for your post because you also mentioned the idea of a 'clique'. I hear that a lot. Frankly, there is no clique. But I appreciate you saying it because it tells me the perception is still out there. I can tell you that I heard the same comments when I first ran for a Presidency spot 4 years ago ("Oh, you'll never get in, you are not in their little clique"...) but I did it anyway. The best thing I can say is that anyone who wants to contribute their time, efforts or ideas please come forward and let me (us) know. I hear what Pete is saying that it should be a Presidency responsibility, but the reality is that all of us on the Presidency have other real paid jobs, families, lives, and problems just like the rest of you all do... and sometimes stuff gets by us. Sometimes we don't get a chance to chat with a lot of people at the meetings. Or someone makes a verbal suggestion at a meeting and it gets forgotten.

With me, if you write me something that works best; jot down a note at a meeting and hand it to me, or even send me a PM. This way I don't forget (because I am dumb like that).

I am glad we are all having this discussion. Thanks for being honest and letting us know what you want to see improved. And if anyone out there thinks they an help by joining the Presidency? PLEASE run in the next elections. I like the idea of getting some 'new blood' in. I think it makes the whole Club better.

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

For a couple years there was another local club. It eventually fizzled. The one person that was most interested could not get any help and as far as I know he no longer keeps a reef aquarium.

Not to rub any salt in any wounds, but UTMAS meetings were some of the most informative I've been to. Jerry went on to start a LFS, Terence went on to work for Neptune developing controllers. It did fizzle out, and it is a sensitive subject here on WMAS, but I think some competition brought out the best of WMAS.

That all being said, I'm glad the community is no longer divided.

I'm really liking the direction Nikki's suggestion was taken. Might be time to look at membership again.

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 1:04pm

Jeff -

All great ideas Clap let me run things by Jeremy (he is the President, after all) but I think we can make things happen.

And you brought up a good point when you said March wasn't a good month for you. That is one of the issues we face. The first Pres meeting of the year is in January when the new Presidency takes effect. That is when we try and schedule out meetings for the entire year. Feb is usually the banquet; but March / April it is kind of hard to get non - Presidency people involved in running meetings, because that doesn't give you a lot of time or notice to get prepared. So we usually just split them up among the Presidency.

But it doesn't have to be that way, I can tell you most of our Presidency stress out a bit when they have to run a meeting. Even me. I think most of us would be relieved if we had some of our members lined up to do presentations and 'headline' a few meetings. It gets tough trying to think up new meeting topics after a few years, believe me.

Pete -

I think you are 100% right when you said UTMAS competition brought out the best in WMAS.

I'd go even further and say maybe it was a 'wake up call' for us here.

Maybe this is the start of another wake up call? If so, that's a perfectly good thing, IMO.

Helps keep us on our toes Wink

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 1:07pm
Oh, and Pete is John and Dennis is Dennis and I think this diet has made me too light - headed and senile, LOL LOL

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 2:33pm
Could do a two part lighting section for a March and April. Ask members if anyone wants to give a small presentation each month on their favorite fish, maybe coral species, then go on to a presentation on spectrum, zoox, what PAR is, wavelengths, chlorophyll, why we use blue light etc.

April could be demonstrations of all the different lighting types. Jeff could cover LEDs then etc.

Just an idea. Lighting is something all hobbyists are curious about.

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 7:13pm

After consulting with Nikki (the OP) I have decided to move this thread to the "Recommendations" Forum and change the title of the thread.

The reason for the Forum change was to hopefully give this topic more exposure. I think if we left it in the "General Discussion" Forum it will just end up getting buried by the hot general topic of the day / week.

The reason for the title change is I think this topic raises important issues that are bigger in scope than just who should be involved in the upcoming lighting meeting. So we wanted to encourage our Forum members to feel free to comment on the larger scope issues without feeling like they were hijacking the thread.

Everyone who has previously posted here should still be notified of replies, etc to this thread. And additional posts and new posters are most certainly welcome to join in.

So keep the comments & suggestions coming. I can't promise that everything discussed here will happen; but we are at least getting a good group dialogue going - and I'm hopeful that a lot of what gets put out here can come to fruition.

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 7:35pm

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Posted By: DMower
Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 7:49pm
If you want, I can be tank of the month again this year. 

I was last April, but my tank inhabitants/corals are almost all different now.  You can't even tell it is the same tank.  All sharks have been kicked out, but I have a few new surprises, including an Australian visitor with long blue teeth.

-------------
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Posted By: Hogie
Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 9:30pm
I think part of the meeting problem, the clique, and so on is the cycle of members. The people who have been around forever seem like a 'clique' because they all have known each other for years they've been through everything and have lots of war stories together. There other members seem to come and go. When someone new comes in, it's uncomfortable for both people to try to become friends with the other person. So, it seems like a clique. But...I have to say, I only know a handful of people in the club and the first two who learned my name and said hi to me at every meeting even when I sat in the back corner and tried to sneak in and out were former presidency members. I must say when I first joined, that went a loooong way in making me feel welcome.

Regarding the meetings, it's hard to have a meeting to engage everyone because of the member cycle. Take the photography meeting.   If you've been a member for a few yrs, you've seen it, you know it. Clean your glass, don't follow the fish, etc. right Adam? but if you've joined recently, you want to hear that stuff. So, there is a big gap between what people want to hear.

One thing I liked, being a non diver, was learning about different fish's environments and behaviors in the wild. When the gent talked about the butterfly fish in Hawaii, that was cool. It's much more fun to have someone talk about experiences with fish and what they're like then just reading about it. Also, I'm concerned about the ocean like most of us are. A meeting about what's happening, what's being done, and how we can help is always good too. In the club that shall not be named, Scott F came and did a meeting on nano tanks and the different and new things coming out for nanos as well and cool fish and critters that are good for nanos.   That was an awesome meeting and one of my favorites I've been to.

Date Posted: February 07 2015 at 11:01pm
Thank you all for keeping this thread positive! I'm glad to hear I'm not crazy and that others are willing to step up.

I've offered for years to do a recharging di resin workshop. As always, I'm happy to talk on pests/diseases as well. But that wasn't the point of this thread. The point was that I'd like to see other people/presentations than the same unchanged info year after year.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:34am
I'd like to learn how to recharge DI resin so I don't keep buying it!

Posted By: Fatman
Date Posted: February 08 2015 at 12:55am
Hogie, you don't recharge resin. You just go to Nikki's place and tell her you are low and she gives you a few pounds. It's worked for me for years.

On the lighting topic. I have no spectrum Vs. growth knowledge, but I know how to build them. Set the requirements and I can build the light. Control is another thing...the Typhon has been around for years, but there have been improvements that need discussion. People hit me up to fix some crap LED and I spend 20 hours doing it because the tank will suffer if we don't fix it. Time is a premium.

You can buy low priced, high priced or build your own (costs more than high priced). All are trade offs. Money, time, effort. I would love to do a basic LED requrement set up for the group and hit on some of the new led trends. But my paying job tells me March is a iffy time, and April is out of the question. Believe me I'd rather be presenting to the club than spend to week in the pacific working and diving during my free time. And yes, when I'm out there I knock down a few Tuna as sashami. Great stuff. I'm not too fond of the tree bat though.

Let me know what's decided and I'll work with the others to present.

An LED controller that runs just the lights might be a good workshop meeting. I can do that one and people can leave with a controller and some knowledge.

Fat and getting Fatter. Bob, I know where it went when you lost it.

Fatman

Date Posted: February 08 2015 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

Hogie, you don't recharge resin. You just go to Nikki's place and tell her you are low and she gives you a few pounds. It's worked for me for years.

Fat and getting Fatter. Bob, I know where it went when you lost it.

Fatman

I would like to nominate Fatman for post of the year.

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: February 09 2015 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

That all being said, I'm glad the community is no longer divided.

I'm really liking the direction Nikki's suggestion was taken. Might be time to look at membership again.
+1 Thumbs Up

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 12:37pm
OK, our Members have asked for greater Member participation in Club meetings, so here's what we are going to do for the revised March meeting Clap:

- John Moss (Pete Moss) will be doing the main presentation

"LED Lighting: A Light Spectrum for Healthy Coral Growth & Coloration"

The presentation will cover things like how coral zooaxanthellae work; how corals get their colors; tailoring your lights spectral output for best combination of growth and color. John will also give a DIY demo on designing and wiring an LED light system Star

- The March Tank Of The Month will be Paul Rickett's (phys) 150 gallon sumpless LED Reef Tank -

and Paul will be giving the presentation to the Club himself Star

- Dynasty Corals of Boise, Idaho will be there! They are bringing a ton of sweet corals for sale Star

- Fish Food Direct will be selling the finest frozen foods at the meeting! Star

- We will be raffling off an LED light at the meeting! Star

- Don't forget our "Early Bird" raffle and social, free refreshments and magazines, Paid Member T- Shirts and more! Star

For more details, check our Facebook page, KSL Classifieds, and right here on our Message Board Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Marcoss
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

OK, our Members have asked for greater Member participation in Club meetings, so here's what we are going to do for the revised March meeting Clap:

- John Moss (Pete Moss) will be doing the main presentation

"LED Lighting: A Light Spectrum for Healthy Coral Growth & Coloration"

The presentation will cover things like how coral zooaxanthellae work; how corals get their colors; tailoring your lights spectral output for best combination of growth and color. John will also give a DIY demo on designing and wiring an LED light system Star

- The March Tank Of The Month will be Paul Rickett's (phys) 150 gallon sumpless LED Reef Tank -

and Paul will be giving the presentation to the Club himself Star

- Dynasty Corals of Boise, Idaho will be there! They are bringing a ton of sweet corals for sale Star

- Fish Food Direct will be selling the finest frozen foods at the meeting! Star

- We will be raffling off an LED light at the meeting! Star

- Don't forget our "Early Bird" raffle and social, free refreshments and magazines, Paid Member T- Shirts and more! Star

For more details, check our Facebook page, KSL Classifieds, and right here on our Message Board Big smile

Hello Bob,

What is the fee to attend this? I would love to see the light demos.

Marcos

-------------
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 1:48pm
All meetings are free!

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 2:16pm
Adam meant the fee is $20 and you need to find me and pay me when you're there...    I went and looked at Pete Moss's (and learned his name is John after I called him Pete) lights over the weekend and am now going to the meeting! It's going to be good.

Posted By: Molli
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

Adam meant the fee is $20 and you need to find me and pay me when you're there...    I went and looked at Pete Moss's (and learned his name is John after I called him Pete) lights over the weekend and am now going to the meeting! It's going to be good.

I know you are joking about a fee to attend meetings, but thought I would make that clear in case that isn't clear to some who have not attended a meeting.

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Originally posted by Hogie Hogie wrote:

I know you are joking about a fee to attend meetings, but thought I would make that clear in case that isn't clear to some who have not attended a meeting.
Yes, there is some confusion here.

The $20 fee is actually paid towards me.  Find me and Ill make sure your covered.

Thanks!

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:28pm
Ok, back on track.

How about a limit on the number of times someone can win POTM in a year? The same people usually win (and for good reason), but it may be discouraging for others to participate knowing that they have a low chance against some of the regular winners.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: Shane H
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:37pm
I tend to agree with Nikki.  But I understand the same people also participate each month.  If we limit the number of wins per year, we are also likely limiting the number of participants.

How about a special raffle each month for POTM participants?   Encourage more people to submit photos and increasing the pool of winners (maybe).....   The trick here is to get people to submit photos even if they think they can't compete with Brad's awesomeness.  If you get a chance to win something, regardless of your photo winning, you may be motivated to submit.

My $0.02.

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:44pm
We're probably looking at what is cause versus effect. Do people not participate bc they know they won't win (like me...I gave up), or do people not participate for some other reason so the same people win by default?

Judging by the quality of the photos winning, I'm guessing people give up. I definitely don't want to punish or take anything away from the awesome photographers. But...people who are winning on a national level make the competition stiff enough that it's nearly impossible.

Maybe a rookie and a pro category? Win enough times in the rookie category and then you go to the pro?

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: jdinchak
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

We're probably looking at what is cause versus effect. Do people not participate bc they know they won't win (like me...I gave up), or do people not participate for some other reason so the same people win by default?

Judging by the quality of the photos winning, I'm guessing people give up. I definitely don't want to punish or take anything away from the awesome photographers. But...people who are winning on a national level make the competition stiff enough that it's nearly impossible.

Maybe a rookie and a pro category? Win enough times in the rookie category and then you go to the pro?

I have seen people win when they weren't the most polished.  Ask Brad how many times he has lost to an Iphone shot.  I have seen clever and unique beat polished.  I almost beat Brad one month with a blurry Garden Eel shot - I posted to just add more.  I was glad he won!

In the two years that I have managed the POTM I have seen waves of posts, some months we had a ton and some really great photos and other months hardly any.  I would love to see more people post.  Reminds me of the old lotto slogan "you can't win if you don't play. 

-------------
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 5:55pm
If we had more posts I think a rookie and a pro category would be really cool.  You would need more participants in both categories to really make it work.  It may not seem like a lot of work but setting up each of the voting rounds, monitoring, promoting and finalizing the winner can take a decent amount of time.  I wouldn't want to run two of them.  That forum is open if anyone else wants to create a photo contest - I think that would be great. 

-------------
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 6:25pm
i like the way it is.  POTM allows me to see cool tanks that are show quality and give me inspiration to continue building my tank up and learning....

Im not one for participation trophies though..  may the best win and the up and comings get better.

Posted By: Will Spencer
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 6:45pm
I kind of agree with Nikki on this, but I also know that if don't get a lot of people posting pics it makes it tough to oust the previous winners.  Eventually we may not have a winner if only six or seven people are posting. 

I have posted in the past and felt exactly like Nikki, "There is no chance of me winning so why participate?" 

Then again, I go through spurts as to taking pics of my tank at all. (Right now there is no chance.  Not only no time, but no tank. Ouch)  I used to be really excited about taking pics of my tank, but when the excitement is not there anymore it doesn't get done.  I've only shot a few pics of my tank in the last couple years.

Whatever the presidency decides to do is good by me, but Nikki's suggestion is a good one and we should think about it and definitely should vote on it at the next pres meeting.

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 6:47pm
Thanks for considering. I see both sides myself, but I thought it might be worth thinking about further.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Posted By: relethg
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 7:27pm
What about 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and they can not be the same person? Or just 2 places.

-------------
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 7:39pm
what about a rule that forces Brad to submit two pictures every month but disqualifies him from ever winning because everyone just accepts he is the best?

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 7:48pm
Hmmm, I'm good with whatever.  
I never submit photos myself.  But I'm all for whatever would increase participation.

Adam

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 7:52pm
Adam is good for whatever, so let's just roll with my plan :)

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 8:07pm
Ok, here goes my little piece and my .02. Last month both my pics were in one vote so decreasing my opportunity to make it to the next round yet I did see that the polished pro had a picture in each of the rounds giving them both a better chance to win. I have nothing against his pictures they are gorgeous, but make it a fair and even playing field. Thanks for the soap box.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 8:09pm
They are typically split so you aren't facing your own photo.  That was a mistake. 

-------------
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Posted By: Marcoss
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 8:10pm
Doesn't this only get like 10 votes total? When I saw a post survey it only had about 8 votes and was closed. Is there a post in a paid area I am not seeing?

-------------
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 8:13pm
Thanks Jon good to know.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 9:23pm
Could always do frag rewards for first and second place. ( same frag for both )

Same person can't win first and second place.

Just a thought

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Posted By: DMower
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 10:27pm

what about a rule that forces Brad to submit two pictures every month but disqualifies him from ever winning because everyone just accepts he is the best?

He does have great subject matter. But I would disagree that he is the "best"       I don't submit all that often because I don't have time to shoot my tank.

-------------
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.

Posted By: ReefOn
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 10:38pm
Instead of pro and rookie, do DSLR and Cell Phone.

Everyone has a cell phone with a camera, and it would level the playing field a little for those who don't have high quality cameras.

-------------
http://www.reefon.com/" rel="nofollow">

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta

Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 10:44pm
I like seeing the awesome pics as well. How about a prize for the winner and a prize for a randomly drawn participant? Then brad can continue to win and someone else as well.

Posted By: badfinger
Date Posted: February 23 2015 at 11:10pm
I like Jerry's idea

Posted By: Will Spencer
Date Posted: February 24 2015 at 8:47am
I just hope this doesn't discourage Brad and other frequent winners from posting.  I'd miss seeing their pics.

Date Posted: February 24 2015 at 9:07am
Maybe it will motivate others post their pics. March POTM is still open.

-------------
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Posted By: Molli
Date Posted: February 24 2015 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Will Spencer Will Spencer wrote:

I just hope this doesn't discourage Brad and other frequent winners from posting.  I'd miss seeing their pics.

Me too. I enjoy looking at the pics. Never pay attention to who wins.

Posted By: phys
Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:12am

Just make it to where the same person cant win two or three months consecutively. A second place would be nice also. There are a lot of people who could put their photos up. We should encourage anybody to do it as more of a "here's what my tank has and its cool" than a "best photo wins" kind of thing. I've seen a lot of great pictures that haven't won but they're still great pictures.

Another idea would be to have a photo contest for those looking for a little boasting and another of "your favorite pictures of the month". One for contest, one for fun.

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:18am
As for meetings, it would be fun to try to get newbies to introduce themselves and to try to get more people to wear name tags... Sometimes you see people you dont think you know until you see their forum name. Then you're like "oh! You're reefdup and youuurrrr fat man..."

Posted By: tileman
Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 12:42pm
You guys decide and let me know. I can easily take my pics to another forum if you don't want me to post.
I enjoy posting in the POTM because I have worked very hard in my photography skills, but I am nowhere near a pro and I use a lower end slr camera.  I have spent the last 5 yrs taking thousands of photos of my tank and you get to see only the cream of the crop. My camera never leaves my desk and is always at arms length for the just in case shot.   Maybe there should be a vote in the next meeting to see if everyone wants me to take my pics elsewhere.

-------------
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 12:47pm
Don't you dare stop posting your photos here.

Your photos are beautiful. I would rather lose every week than see them go away haha

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 1:04pm
No worries brad, your pics shouldn't go anywhere lol

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:09pm
QUOTE=tileman]You guys decide and let me know. I can easily take my pics to another forum if you don't want me to post.
I enjoy posting in the POTM because I have worked very hard in my photography skills, but I am nowhere near a pro and I use a lower end slr camera.  I have spent the last 5 yrs taking thousands of photos of my tank and you get to see only the cream of the crop. My camera never leaves my desk and is always at arms length for the just in case shot.   Maybe there should be a vote in the next meeting to see if everyone wants me to take my pics elsewhere.
[/QUOTE]

Unhappy  Absolutely no need for any "vote"

As Pete said "Don't you dare"...

I would like to see this discussion move more to how we can encourage more photo entries / more competition, rather than talk about penalizing someone for putting forth a good effort Thumbs Down

Considering that everybody on this Forum has some sort of camera available (especially with all the cell phone cameras out there) I should expect to see 30+ entries per month as the norm; but most months we get less than a half dozen people entering. That's a big part of the issue here.

PS - The only reason I don't enter is because I am in the Presidency. If no one objects, I would be happy to put in a pair of shots each and every month...

-------------

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:29pm
Does anyone know how to take "Good" pictures with a Cell phone? What settings, with filters or without, how to fix them in post processing (Photoshop, gimp, etc...)? I know we have had meetings from Mike about how to do it with expensive equipment, but I don't see myself spending that kind of money. I do have a pretty nice cell phone camera and would love to know how to better use it.

I think that would be an awesome topic for a meeting. If we have more people that know how to take a pretty good photo, with their cell phone, I think we would get more entries. I personally would rather spend my time researching cool DIY stuff for my tank because photography "stuff" tends to overwhelm me when it's not a passion. If there were 5-10 tips (outside of composition) that could make any cell photo "good" then I wouldn't mind taking some.

I don't see myself spending hours and hours researching how to do it on my own. I would however, go to a meeting where I could get the quick tips on something I already have. Krazie

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63568&title=krazies-nano-paradise" rel="nofollow - Tank Thread:

Posted By: justchillinuno
Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:38pm
Krazie Use a MACRO lenses for your phone - http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/cell-phone-lenses/

-------------
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:46pm
I know how to get the macro stuff. I'm talking about true colors, how to deal with different light types (ever tried taking pictures with LED's?) how to do some simple editing, etc...

That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about. The Lens is a great additional piece, but I think you can get "good" pics without one (unless your trying to take pictures of fish).

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:47pm

I would like to see this discussion move more to how we can encourage more photo entries / more competition, rather than talk about penalizing someone for putting forth a good effort Thumbs Down

PS - The only reason I don't enter is because I am in the Presidency. If no one objects, I would be happy to put in a pair of shots each and every month...

Agree with Bob 100%. We need to focus on encouragement, not reduction.

I had no clue the presidency were disqualified. I think they should post away.

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Posted By: justchillinuno
Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:51pm
yes... it sucks lol 

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/justchillinuno/media/PhoneDump2015/IMAG1255_zps0pi5qeya.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

With flash! 

http://s51.photobucket.com/user/justchillinuno/media/PhoneDump2015/IMAG1261_zpsy6nzppl0.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 2:55pm

Agree with Bob 100%. We need to focus on encouragement, not reduction.

I had no clue the presidency were disqualified. I think they should post away.
No one is excluded.  Only rules are it has to be your picture (Saltwater related) and you can only post two per month. 

I get where Bob is coming from, you don't want to have the appearance of favortism.  I haven't posted much when I ran it for one because I was lazy and two I didn't want anyone to think I positioned myself for the win. 

I took great care in making things as even and fair as possible so no one would be upset. 

-------------
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Posted By: relethg
Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

You guys decide and let me know. I can easily take my pics to another forum if you don't want me to post.

I don't want you to take your pictures anywhere.

-------------
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:26pm
Brad, never did I say I wanted you to go elsewhere. You have your photos elsewhere already...you're in a different class than most of us. You shouldn't be penalized for that, but there's got to be a way to get other people to participate. What's the fun in winning if you have no competition?

How about this...have a theme for each month. Best FTS, most humorous, best chalice, best sump, holiday theme, etc. Surely that will challenge the best to expand outside their comfort zones while allowing newbies to possibly excel in other areas. When it's open to anything,the same types of photos typically win.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:37pm
+1 Nikki I agree that themes would be awesome. I also agree that nobody was saying for you to leave Brad.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:42pm
There are no restrictions in the POTM/Show-Off thread.  Anyone can post a new Poll/Thread for themed pictures.  They can make it a contest or just a fun place to post.  I think it would be great if someone wants to start and manage one.  We will still have the POTM for the site and post to FB but we don't have to limit to that.  We just need someone to create that post and manage it.  That person does not need to be presidency or even a paid member. 

-------------
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 3:43pm
Brad, that would be sad if you didn't post your pics. I think everyone enjoys seeing them and for me it gives motivation to want to take pics of my tank and to make my tank better!

Going along with Nikki's idea, I had a photo class where we were assigned a theme and we had to take a picture that best represented that theme. We could doing something similar so one month it could be, "cooperation" and another month could be "soft" and the photographer can interprete that word how they want and post a picture of what they want. If could be a funny or serious interpretation.

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by jdinchak jdinchak wrote:

There are no restrictions in the POTM/Show-Off thread.  Anyone can post a new Poll/Thread for themed pictures.  They can make it a contest or just a fun place to post.  I think it would be great if someone wants to start and manage one.  We will still have the POTM for the site and post to FB but we don't have to limit to that.  We just need someone to create that post and manage it.  That person does not need to be presidency or even a paid member

I bolded a large part of Jon's post because it brings up a very important point.

One of my expectations for this topic is that we get not just people suggesting what "the Presidency" needs to do to improve / change / add to our Meetings (or Forum) to make things better...

But we get people stepping up and volunteering to head up some of these projects / ideas.

Can the Presidency help with logistics, organizing, recommending how to get things accomplished?

Sure Big smile

But (using the most recent topic of POTM as an example) if anyone is expecting "the Presidency" to start up, manage, and run 2 or 3 different POTMs simultaneously (like a "Phone Camera vs Pro Camera" or "Beginner vs Advanced", etc) then I can tell you that is almost definitely not going to happen...

Now comes the time where this topic either takes a new direction, or dies.

The "put up or shut up" time Wink

Here are some of my suggestions, based off of all comments so far:

- Nikki, let's do a "How to recharge DI Resin" presentation. I think that is an interesting topic that will appeal to a good -sized part of the Club. Heck, I would love to see how it is done myself. I will check the rest of the yearly calendar and see what months we have available, and you can choose from that when you would like to do it.

- Jeff / Justin, I am all for a 'broader' photography seminar that speaks to getting good shots with an iphone or other phone camera, as that is what many people now use for their main camera. I have an iphone and I would love to learn how to maximize its potential. I want you 2 to come up with the subject matter and then decide who wants to present it. I would have you do this in conjunction with Mike's presentation so that we cover the broader subject as well

- Kevin, I think that even with John (Pete Moss) stepping up and doing a lighting presentation in March, if we can get you to actually do a whole entire build 'workshop' = AWESOME Meeting idea.
Think about what that would entail, and PM me with your ideas and we will try to set it up for the 2nd half of the year sometime. If Jeff wants in on this with you, I am all for it!

- Dennis / Darren, let's get you signed up for TOTM. If you don't get a PM from me about this by the weekend, please PM me as I am old and forgetful and sometimes need a reminder Embarrassed

- Glenn / Chad / Paul / Chris / Ed, between the 5 of you, come up with another 1 or 2 POTM - style contest 'variations' and let's get them up and running! If you need help, contact Jon or myself and we can help you figure it out.

- Anybody else who wants to be a TOTM, let me know! I am ALWAYS looking for more tanks to showcase!!!

-------------

Posted By: tileman
Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 4:50pm
I'm not going anywhere. I first read this post this morning, and it slowly started to rub me , like an itch that you can't reach in the middle of your back. Confused
I got home from work and I had to say something, just so I could get it off my mind. 
I have learned to take aquarium pictures from the meetings we have had over the years, and that is the only information I have ever gotten, which I am thankful for.  But the total secret to having good pictures, is taking hundreds, if not thousands of pictures, and deciding which ones work for you.  I literraly have almost 50,000 pictures on my pc, and I usually take 20 -50 pics a night.   There is no secret, just practice.
I feel alot better now, no more itch. Smile

-------------
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:29pm

- Jeff / Justin, I am all for a 'broader' photography seminar that speaks to getting good shots with an iphone or other phone camera, as that is what many people now use for their main camera. I have an iphone and I would love to learn how to maximize its potential. I want you 2 to come up with the subject matter and then decide who wants to present it. I would have you do this in conjunction with Mike's presentation so that we cover the broader subject as well

- Kevin, I think that even with John (Pete Moss) stepping up and doing a lighting presentation in March, if we can get you to actually do a whole entire build 'workshop' = AWESOME Meeting idea.
Think about what that would entail, and PM me with your ideas and we will try to set it up for the 2nd half of the year sometime. If Jeff wants in on this with you, I am all for it!

I'm afraid I would be almost zero help with the photo discussion (thus why I recommended it as a topic) I take very poor cell pictures and don't own any more expensive camera.

The other topic I'm sure I could lend quite a bit to the information for a meeting (Talking to John about helping him already). Not sure how it will all play out at this point but am trying to help in any case. Krazie

-------------
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:33pm

People shouldn't feel discouraged when another person wins something. If you like taking pics and posting them, DO IT. The only person holding you back is you. I've never seen anyone on here degrade someone's picture or tell anyone they cant post. If someone else wins, awesome. I've had my photography in several contests where I've won nothing and also won 1st, 2nd and honorable mention in the same contest. In every case I always feel accomplished just by showing it off. A lot of time its about showing it .. So don't think its a huge deal and you should stop because you didn't win.

if you think someone is winning more, get more people to vote. A lot of times the Potm has few voters. Lets get some more people involved.

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:34pm
Also, id be happy to start or help with another photography thread.

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:56pm
I've offered to help many times, and I don't think I've ever turned down a request. Happy to do a workshop on recharging DI. I hosted one at my house last year.

-------------
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Date Posted: February 25 2015 at 6:59pm
Muriatic acid demo as well please.

-------------
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB

Posted By: mermaidcamille
Date Posted: February 27 2015 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

I'm not going anywhere. I first read this post this morning, and it slowly started to rub me , like an itch that you can't reach in the middle of your back. Confused
I got home from work and I had to say something, just so I could get it off my mind. 
I have learned to take aquarium pictures from the meetings we have had over the years, and that is the only information I have ever gotten, which I am thankful for.  But the total secret to having good pictures, is taking hundreds, if not thousands of pictures, and deciding which ones work for you.  I literraly have almost 50,000 pictures on my pc, and I usually take 20 -50 pics a night.   There is no secret, just practice.
I feel alot better now, no more itch. Smile

Brad I think your pictures should inspire people.  You have worked hard for what you produce.  I don't feel that you should be punished for all your hard work.  Ridiculous. Keep your beautiful pictures coming.

I would hope that people would be up for the challenge of getting up to your level.  I think people haven't noticed, but in the past we have had cell phone pictures win.  Anyone CAN win, but I think people forget that art is WORK and takes time.

-------------
135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net