Print Page | Close Window

I Need Help With Identification

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Help
Forum Name: General Help
Forum Description: The place to ask about pest, problems, hitchhikers, etc.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75922
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 3:36am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: I Need Help With Identification
Posted By: 4CornersReef
Subject: I Need Help With Identification
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:10pm
I found this in my reef tonight. I need to know if it can cause problems in my reef tank. I can't find any pictures of anything like it. Please help.

Replies:
Date Posted: May 01 2015 at 11:14pm

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 12:21am
Maybe a peanut worm? I'm not too sure...

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 6:51am
Agreed. When a Peanut Worm comes out of it's tunnel in a rock, it's usually done for. I'd toss it so it doesn't add pollution to the tank as it decomposes.

Was this new LR in a new tank? 
If you would like to know what's going on with the tank and if there are any issues on the horizon, please post a couple pics of the tank, describe the filtration, lighting, Alkalinity and Calcium.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 8:36am

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 8:36am
I found this picture they say that it is a chiton. link is http://www.masa.asn.au/masawiki/index.php/Hitchhikers_Guide_to_the_Reef_Tank

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 8:43am
I am not to worried about my reef. I have a 210 gallon display with about 240 lbs of live rock. I have 3 kessil a360we lights. I have a ruby 36 sump with a curve 7 skimmer, a dual BRS reactor, a uv sterilizer, I am also running a monster reactor with phosguard. Calcium runs around 550 ppm and my alk I try to keep around 7-8.
Another question I have what should I run my parameters to support sps corals I havent had much luck with them.

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 8:50am
Well, if it is a Chiton then because it was rolling around, it's dieing, so it is better to remove it. Look up Chiton and you'll see animals that are somewhat different looking. Most usually live in the sand and at the bottoms of rocks. A Chiton that is crawling over a powerhead is a very hungry Chiton that is not finding enough of it's natural food in it's natural places. The pic below shows a Chiton in the sand cleaning the glass in a friends tank. The back of this Chiton looks like the shell of an Armadillo.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------

Posted By: badfinger
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 8:51am
Your calcium is way too high for that alk. Alk around 7-8 your calcium should be around 400

Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by 4CornersReef 4CornersReef wrote:

I am not too worried about my reef. .. 
...my alk I try to keep around 7-8.
Another question I have what should I run my parameters to support sps corals I havent had much luck with them.
Sorry, I was posting when you wrote this. Okay thanks for the info, except I didn't see much about filtration. Read the Reefkeeping Tips linked below in my signature line to read what does the real filtration of a reef aquarium.

If my Alk was at 7-8, I'd be worried about my coral farm. Coral doesn't grow well below 8 dKH. The normal range for Alk in reef aquariums is 8-12 and to have any decent SPS coral growth Alkalinity typically needs to be above 9 and closer to 10 dKH. That most likely explains why you have had difficulty with SPS. 

What's the Mg level?

Hobbyists sometimes ask why, if natural seawater is around 7 dKH, do we need to keep our aquariums at 8 or above. The main reason is because our aquariums are just at the oceans edge. As hard as we try, we can't even come close to what the live ocean provides in terms of water chemistry, biofiltration, variety of food, current/wave action, etc., etc..

Looking forward to seeing pics.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------

Posted By: boysty
Date Posted: May 02 2015 at 4:53pm
cryptoplax chiton

-------------
Time waits on no one

Date Posted: May 05 2015 at 1:06pm
I am bringing my alk up over the next week or two. I dont want to shock the system. I ran some tests on sunday. My cal was at 525 "coming down". My alk was at 8.5 Dkh and my Mag was at 1350.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net