Print Page | Close Window

Lou's 90

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Tank Threads
Forum Description: A place to show off your tank build.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77047
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 5:05am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lou's 90
Posted By: ASAT
Subject: Lou's 90
Date Posted: August 04 2015 at 11:24pm
Hello everyone, I wanted to document my retirement present to myself and honor a commitment I made to a very nice Lady that I received this tank from. I was planning on building a 75 gal system slowly and DIY to have a project as I enter into retirement after 39 years at Hill AFB. I had bought a tank and was looking for some lights or a skimmer on KSL when I saw D's ad for a complete 90 gal reef that she had to sell due to her on going battle with cancer. This was my dream setup - it was loaded! Dual MP-40's Full APEX control, Steves LED's Full SPS edition, Reef Octo DC return pump, Bubble Magus Skimmer, Sump, UV, Carbon/GFO reactor, Jebao4 head dosing unit,  tons of support stuff - a complete 88 gal mixing station with 75 gpd RO/DI and Iwaki MD-100 pump,  powerheads, pumps, CA and Alk ,  Red Sea Reef Care Program Test kits, boxes full of tubing, heaters, test kits, supplements, salt, etc, etc,  there is just no way I could ever had a system like this if I had to procure it new, and I know it pained D to let it go for what I could afford, but she had to move it and she was gracious to accept what I could offer. I promised her I would care for it to the best of my ability and  she asked for some pictures of it set up, hence this thread. The learning curve on the Apex and system support equipment has been fairly steep but thanks to a good friend of D's, Kevin (JeffatPM  here on forum)  it is finally to a point where I feel pretty good about it so here is the build (transfer).  I started by grabbing the mixing station and setting it up in my basement with it plumbed up into our front bathroom which is now the "Sump Room" adjacent to the dining room where the tank is situated.

Replies:
Date Posted: August 04 2015 at 11:50pm
I then built a cabinet next to the sink in our Sump room to house all the wet stuff that was originally under the tank in the stand. I made it sturdy enough to hold a big ol frag tank for the future if I want to and still need to finish the front of it. I plumbed the cabinet with the output of the mixing station, the output of the RO/DI for the ATO system, a fresh air line for the skimmer and cut a hole in the wall leading to the dining room for the tank plumbing to pass through to the sump room. I also drilled a big hole and fit a pvc pipe feed through to allow me to pass a water change/refill hose through the wall at tank height and wired a control switch next to the tank so I can operate the mixing station pump from either the tank location or the mixing station mixing station output
location.

Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 12:13am
and here are some shots of the full tank and some of the critters, a few of the SPS didn't make it, but I have already made a few additions - Reefdup (Nikki) gave me a great deal on some cool acros and monti's  which seem to be doing great so far I am happy that all of the fish including the pistol shrimp/watchman goby pair made the transfer and everyone is doing great.... except I am trying to decide if the Hippo Tang has gotten a taste for my radioactive green acro or if he is just picking some minute  algae off it.... I may have to re-locate him....

Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 12:30am
I am also happy to see that the Acro that did survive but was really browned out is starting to come back.... It looks like it is going to be some kind of purple acro - it is growing its tips back and starting to lighten up in to some purple shades - cant wait to see how it develops...  also a few shots of some other happy euphyllia and assorted shots.... 

Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 12:42am
So that is my journey so far, I hope to add a few more SPS and maybe some tall gorgonians in the back to give the scape some height and balance out the negative space at the top. S
till tweaking on lighting and a few other programming issues on the Apex as well as getting the CA and Alk balanced out but I'm very happy for two weeks in..... I am still trying to keep my Nitrates below 10ppm - they keep creeping up to 15 or so but I have removed the sponge from the sump and am getting new filter socks.... another water change tomorrow or so.... not sure if I want to start down the carbon dosing road but I am reading all that I can on it. I am also looking for any and all ideas on how to organize all the electronics that are in the cabinet of the tank. I would like it to be functional but cool looking as well  right now, everything is just laying in there on the bottom...help appreciated!!  Thanks again D for the awesome retirement present I have high expectations for it! Ev and I hope you are doing well and our thoughts and prayers are with you - hope you are enjoying your new adventures as well - also want to give a big shout out to Kevin for all his help - I would not be where I am today with this tank if it was not for him....  from helping me move it to being my personal "Help Line Adviser" I owe you a lunch brother, just let me know when...  I also apologize for the crappy camera work - gonna have to work on that as well.  Any and all input and advise is greatly appreciated.... 

Take Care,    Lou 

Posted By: bstuver
Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 1:36am
Great looking tank! looks like its gone to a good home:)

-------------
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Posted By: justkeepswimming
Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 7:30am
It looks great. I'm glad that you are enjoying it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net