Print Page | Close Window

NOVEMBER 3rd FRAG GROW OUT CONTEST

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Events / Club Info
Forum Name: Frag Grow-Out Competition (NEW)!!!
Forum Description: All Information and Discussions about the clubs new Frag Grow-out Competition
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81132
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 4:26pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: NOVEMBER 3rd FRAG GROW OUT CONTEST
Posted By: PharmaSki
Subject: NOVEMBER 3rd FRAG GROW OUT CONTEST
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 5:22pm
Introducing
The Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society
Frag Grow Out Contest
Sponsored by Aquatic Dreams

Introduction: The concept is pretty much straight forward, a challenge to see who can grow out a  coral faster than anybody else.

How to Play: The frags will be available on a first come first serve basis starting at the WMAS November meeting on November 3rd at the Rose Garden Building Sugar House Park (1601 East 2100 South Salt Lake City, UT). Each participant will be required to fill out a short application form giving information about the system where the frag will be placed. If you cannot make it to the November meeting to pick up a frag we can still put you on the wait list to pick up any remaining frags not claimed at the meeting.

Price:   $10 for WMAS Members
            $15 for Non-Members

The Coral: Special thanks to Aquatic Dreams for donating this awesome colony of favities. This colony has a lot of potential and we want to see who can give crazy color and grow the fastest.

The contest will end in February and prizes will be given to the winner at the March meeting.

Feel free to ask questions and stay tuned for further details and rules.

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.
No, the blue lights at my house are not growing "pharmaceuticals"...

Replies:
Posted By: aporter360
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 9:38pm
Nice!

-------------
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running

Posted By: phys
Date Posted: October 19 2016 at 1:06am
I'll gladly do it but I will probably have to miss the meeting due to work.

Date Posted: October 19 2016 at 6:12am
Phys, we'll put you at the top of the waiting list for any frags not picked up at the meeting.

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.

Posted By: sleepingdeep
Date Posted: October 19 2016 at 10:48am
i cant grow favia to save my life... 

Posted By: Fatman
Date Posted: October 19 2016 at 11:30am
Sleepingdeep, you never know what magic Landon and Hogie did on this one. Try it you just may surprise yourself.

I'm in on this. I also think the frags should be passed out randomly with no cherry picking.

Fat and getting Fatter.

Posted By: Hogie
Date Posted: October 21 2016 at 10:42am
Landon did a great job cutting. All the frags are pretty chunky at 3/4" to 1" and are pretty uniform. Of course there are a couple that are a little bigger, but all of them look pretty darn good! And again, Aquatic Dreams was extremely generous in helping support the club. If you haven't been there, it's worth checking out!

Posted By: evan127
Date Posted: October 21 2016 at 11:17am
I am very excited about this! I've never tried my hand at that type of coral before. Looks pretty.

Will there be an update soon on rules and criteria for judging?

Date Posted: October 21 2016 at 8:00pm
I'm working on official rules and judging criteria for the contest. The problem is I'm out of town until the next Sunday. If you have questions about something specific I can let you know what i have. I can tell you there are a few posibilities for judging criteria but it's not set yet.

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.

Date Posted: October 26 2016 at 5:39pm
Are there any updates here? I'm very much looking forward to participating in this contest.

Date Posted: October 27 2016 at 10:32am
The frags are healing in Landon's tank. He's planning on bringing and handing them out at the Nov. meeting!

Date Posted: October 27 2016 at 10:59am
I was wondering more about the rules, criteria for judging, etc.

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:44am
Are these frags loose or attached to plugs?

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:57am
They are attached to plugs.

Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 11:19am
Half plugs, half disks.

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.

Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 4:20pm
Okay, so I have a request. May we be allowed to do whatever we want with the coral frag to help it grow fast as possible. Would that be okay? 
Also, I have two separate systems and would like to grow two separate frags if that's okay. If there are enough frags, of course.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

-------------

Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 7:38pm
A detailed list of rules and regulations before the meeting would be gladly welcomed ;)

Posted By: Reefer4Ever
Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 7:52pm
I personally think it would need to be unaltered. If available at the end I say buy 2 if you want and are available in also think we should blind pick them by being numbered and the person draws a number from a box/bag and that's the piece they get period

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:42pm
Unaltered? Shocked 
Isn't the purpose of this exercise to in fact alter the coral frag? Isn't the purpose of this exercise for considering different techniques and finding the best/fastest ways to grow this specific coral? 
If so, we should consider that a coral may do best and may grow faster when it is moved off the ceramic plug/disk and attached directly to a natural substrate, i.e., glued directly to LR. 
Most people I hang out with agree that gluing plugs to the aquascape makes for an unattractive reef aquarium. Waiting for the stony coral frag to overgrow a plug can be a long wait and oftentimes the unnatural plug shape can be seen, albeit disguised, under the growth.

Thank you for your consideration of allowing us participants to do whatever works best.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2016 at 12:08am
I'm not making the rules, just stating my opinions. With your 25+ years and all your know how you should have this in the bag Mark   

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: October 29 2016 at 12:26am
Thanks Dennis. Smile I'll be giving it a shot but I'm not so sure of the outcome. The first frag is going into a 5 gal tank I set up 2 weeks ago. Wacko

What are you(we) doing up at this late hour? LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2016 at 4:47am
That wasn't late this is late   

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: October 29 2016 at 9:24am
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2016 at 11:03am
I do not have substrate in my reef, so unless I get a frag on a plate, it's coming off and going onto some rock work. I would still love to read about the rules before I commit to the contest.

Date Posted: October 29 2016 at 12:15pm
I see this as an exercise in learning from each other regarding what this coral does in different tanks under differing conditions. My suggestion is that we each follow these simple guidelines:

1. Describe and picture our tank in this thread (including the type of lighting, photoperiod and starting parameters); 
2. Picture the coral frag as received and then again as placed in the tank;
3. Keep a log of the chemicals/supplements used, water changes, etc., in what amounts; and then
4. Report this regularly (monthly?) in the thread with pics showing coral progress. (Rather than create a new post each time, have us simply edit our OP with updated info. That way we can see the frags progress in one place rather than fragmented in a dozen posts.)

That's it. Pretty simple, IMO. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
P.S.
If we use the guidelines above there is no need to distribute frags as though they were a prize drawing. Just give us each any frag and let us grow it. It may be surprising to find what conditions worked best for this coral. After this is complete, we can choose another coral and do it again. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: October 29 2016 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by PharmaSki PharmaSki wrote:

I'm working on official rules and judging criteria for the contest. The problem is I'm out of town until the next Sunday. If you have questions about something specific I can let you know what i have. I can tell you there are a few posibilities for judging criteria but it's not set yet.

You see the rules are coming, I'm sure he will take into account what's been said. I for one have never ever had much luck at growing Favites. If their is a frag left at the end I will jump in for a shot otherwise I'm leaving them for a much better chance at survival and hopefully thriving

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: October 29 2016 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

What are you(we) doing up at this late hour? 

Dennis has a legitimate excuse in a new baby! I don't think he ever sleeps...

Date Posted: October 29 2016 at 8:23pm
Oh so very very true Ed

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 9:49am
Rules have been posted in it's own thread.

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.

Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 6:55pm
Thanks!

Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 9:40pm
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81229&title=frag-grow-out-contest-rules" rel="nofollow - http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81229&title=frag-grow-out-contest-rules

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 8:01pm
Lets get this party started! Number 2 here!

Posted By: HumuHumuForever
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 11:09pm
Here's mine, lucky #7.  Wink

Still in the specimen cup...

Mounted on a rock...

Getting cozy in the tank...  (Color is a bit off due to the night time blues, but it's pretty close.)

-Dave

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 11:49pm
Dang Dave. That picture looks amazing already...

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.

Posted By: MadReefer
Date Posted: November 04 2016 at 6:41pm
Any frags still available?

Date Posted: November 04 2016 at 8:38pm
Yes, I have 2 frags still available.

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.

Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 2:04pm
I'm looking forward to the ongoing results of this educational contest. 
Here is frag #5

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 9:50pm
http://s306.photobucket.com/user/blazingreptile/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161105_213432.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/blazingreptile/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161105_214113.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/blazingreptile/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161105_214331.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s306.photobucket.com/user/blazingreptile/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20161105_180809.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 3:46am

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Posted By: sabeypets
Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 8:42am

-------------
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams

Date Posted: November 07 2016 at 12:57pm
Just thought I'd share an observation.  I'm not pointing a finger, just making an observation, because a common occurrence with favites coral is handling damage due to soft coral flesh being cut by the Septa at the high wall between polyps. The ridge of each radial Septa is as sharp as a razor blade. Even the lightest touch of a human finger cuts the flesh. Courtesy of Coral Hub here is an image for reference:

The underlying white skeleton is visible, indicating significant damage in four of the six frags pictured in posts above. What this means to me, for purposes of the contest is that these damaged coral are at a slight disadvantage or handicap. 

A coral colony expends energy trying to repair damaged polyps, yet at the same time it is trying to acclimate to the new tank, new water conditions, new water flow and new lighting. During this time of repair and acclimation, new expansion growth may slow or even stop for a while. 

Daily feeding of a 25-100 micron sized dry food can help the coral survive and then recover. The feeding can be targeted or broadcast. Just thought it would be helpful to point this out, especially for those that may be novices to this type of coral.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2016 at 2:14pm
All the coral frags were handled the same. So stop touching your coral Mark, and let it heal up faster...

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.

Date Posted: November 08 2016 at 7:58am
The tissue on my frag was damaged because it was cut apart from the mother colony ;)

Since the meeting on the 3rd, the flesh on mine has healed and is starting to grow over the bare skeleton a little bit. If the majority of the frags are showing signs of the tissue being damaged, then the majority of us are relatively "disadvantaged" equally and are starting this contest at relatively the same place. Sit back, relax, have a drink of your choice and watch the healing process take over.

Date Posted: November 08 2016 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by PharmaSki PharmaSki wrote:

...stop touching your coral Mark, and let it heal up faster...
 LOL

Like Evan127, my frag also appears to be slowly growing flesh back over the top of the wall. 

Please don't misunderstand. I'm not at all concerned about the competition. I brought this up for the benefit of those participants that may be having concerns about their frag not looking like the original colony.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2016 at 9:54pm
Mine looks great today, except for what looks like a bite out of it. I'm a little worried. It could be my bicolor blenny. I've seen it nip at all my corals.
Edit: my bicolor blenny is snacking on the coral.

Date Posted: November 10 2016 at 11:26am
Sounds like a fish that needs some training/conditioning to stop bad behavior. Because fish learn quickly, it usually only takes a couple instances of jabbing at the fish and momentarily chasing it with a stick to scare it away from bothering the coral ever again.

You know what else I do to keep an LPS coral from getting cut up by its own Septa? I turn the coral upside down, jiggle it underwater and wait for it to shrink/dehydrate before pulling it out of the water. Shrunken polyps hanging away from the sharp Septa can't get cut up. The reduced weight from less water in the polyps also causes less strain on its connection with its skeleton while it's upside down being moved from tank to bucket and back.

While I'm on the subject, I'm reminded of how I sometimes use styrofoam pieces attached with an elastic to float Caulestrea, Euphyllia, other LPS and even SPS coral upside down in the transport bucket or bag. 

I guess you might say that these are more Reefkeeping Tips that I'm sharing with you from my bag of coral farming secrets. 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 5:39pm
We are a couple days out from when our pictures are due. What is the criteria for photo information and will there be a thread for photos coming up soon?

Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 5:51pm
Yes, expect the new thread on Tuesday. Easy questions to go along with it. You'll see it Tuesday.

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.

Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 6:35pm
I will be unable to take or post pics until Thursday at the earliest. I don't want to be a trouble maker but can I have a pass until Thursday or if the tread is up I can post Monday night.

-------------
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water

Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 8:00pm
Not a problem. You have 7 days to post your picture and answer the questions.

-------------
Yes, I'm a Pharmacist.

Posted By: christhjesus
Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 8:52pm

Moved from plug to rockwork 11/12/16

http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/christhjesus/media/Resized_20161112_202503_zps692chw4v.jpeg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/christhjesus/media/Resized_20161112_202619_zpsof8ocxll.jpeg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/christhjesus/media/Resized_20161112_202614_zpscc0kxbmj.jpeg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/christhjesus/media/Resized_20161112_204226_zpsybicwmoy.jpeg.html" rel="nofollow"> http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/christhjesus/media/Resized_20161112_204218_zpskhnlhwpu.jpeg.html" rel="nofollow">

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net