Print Page | Close Window

Sick fish help!

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: Posts that don't fit in any of the other categories.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=83771
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 7:44am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sick fish help!
Posted By: speyside712
Subject: Sick fish help!
Date Posted: December 17 2017 at 5:08pm
Hey everybody,
My tank has come down with an intense bout of either ich or velvet. The story begins when I bought two new tangs (clown tang and blonde naso tang) from The Fish Tank and brought them home. I inspected them both pretty well visually before buying. They both seemed healthy and active, no visible ich anywhere or anything else out of the ordinary.

I drip acclimated them over 2 hours and put them in the tank, being careful to not bring any of the stores water with them. Both seemed healthy and were eating.

Well fast forward a week and I thought I noticed a little bit of ich on the clown tangs dorsal fin... odd because I've never had it in my tank before so unless one of the two new fish brought it in it couldn't be right? I kept an eye on it for the day, it was gone the very next day so I figured it must have been something else. Other than these two new tangs, all of the fish I've had have been in healthy systems I'm familiar with for years and ich free. So if ich had arrived it must have been on one of the two new tangs. Everyone looked healthy at this point so I didn't think anything of it.

Well fast forward one more week and suddenly I have an explosion of ich or velvet (not positive which) on nearly every fish. It all appeared on the same day. The only two fish free of it seemed to be my male black and white occelaris clown and the new naso tang. This was yesterday.

Fast forward to this morning, the blonde naso tang is upsidedown stuck to the power head when I wake up this morning... He was one of only two fish I thought were not affected, so my assumption is he had a bad case of the parasites in his gill tissue but not visible on the rest of his body.

I'm familiar with the treatment options for ich and velvet (quarantine, copper treatment for two weeks, let display tank fallow for 3 months with no fish). But I'm not able to do this. I dont have the setup, equipment, space, or time to do it properly. Even if I could cure the fish in a 2 week hospital system I dont have another tank where I could keep them for the time required to let my main display fallow for months.

This experience has now taught me the value of quarantining before anything enters your system and I will be following that religiously in the future. But for now I dont have many options.

I don't want to watch all my fish die one by one while I sit back and do nothing, so I was hoping someone with more time, space, and experience might want to take on a project and in return get some free fish. I have had some of these fish for over seven years now and Id like to see them go to a good home if possible. I'm just trying to figure out a way to keep my fish alive and at the same time have my tank empty for the 3 months needed to wait for all the parasites to die. If giving them away accomplishes this than that is well worth it to me.

IF anyone has the ability And desire to treat these fish I would be happy to donate them to you. Of course ideally when my tank is ich free in 3 months id love them back but I realize that is probably way too much to ask, so if keeping them is a requirement for you to take on the project then that is just fine by me.

If anyone is interested please let me know asap, as fish are going downhill fast...

The Fish are:
4 inch yellow tang. I've had it 7 years, I would guess its 10 years old. Showing some ich, but acting normal.

3.5 inch clown tang showing some ich, acting normal

Full grown male flame angel, 3.5 inches long. I've had it 7 years. Showing some ich, acting a bit lethargic but still eating.

3 inch Orange and white female ocellaris clown, showing a small amount of ich but acting relatively normal. I've had this fish 7 years.

A 2 inch black and white male occelaris clown. No sign of any ich.
(The clowns are a newly mated pair, been together about 2 months.)

A 3 inch Pakastani Butterflyfish. This is my favorite fish in the tank, he follows you wherever you go and will eat from your hand. Sadly he has the worst case of ich in the tank. His eyes are cloudy now and he is flashing, he cant find the food although he tries to eat. I have a feeling he won't last long enough to save even if he were treated immediately. But of course I would love if someone was willing to try.

I'm available anytime if someone is interested in picking up any or all of the fish. My hope is you could treat them for two weeks and then have healthy and pest free fish.

Let me know if you are willing to help.
Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: December 17 2017 at 8:03pm
I'm out on this one. Sorry

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Posted By: backwards32
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 9:44am
I could put the flame angel and black and white clowns in my quarantine if you are still looking to find a new home for them

-------------
Fish Food Direct
Great Food for half the price
801-721-0671
call or text me anytime

Posted By: Wrogers
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 10:12am
If you need a Tank for quarantine let me know. I have several 20s and a few 40. 801-891-3640

-------------
William Rogers

Posted By: Wrogers
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 10:16am
I can also help with a pump heater ect. not asking for money would just like to help you out.,

-------------
William Rogers

Posted By: MadReefer
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 7:09pm
How often do you feed nori?

Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 7:15pm
Hey guys, I appreciate the offers. Everybody in our club is always so helpful.

In the end I decided I should just man up and do the work. So I went out and bought a 20 gallon long. Threw an extra heater and powerhead in it I had lying around. And went to Fish 4 U and got the meds required.

Going to try the hospital tank idea out myself. Ill let you know how it goes and if any fish still need a new home.

So far I've got the new tank filled. I just did a 20 gallon water change on the main display and used the old water to fill the new tank, this way I dont need to acclimate. The only place I can fit the tank is in the storage room in the garage. It's like 50 degrees in there but I have a bit of an oversized heater, so it should be able to keep the temp high enough.

Getting ready to transfer fish now...

Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 7:17pm
All the fish are still alive so far. Hopefully it stays that way. I'm mainly concerned about the ammonia spiking in an uncycled small tank with 6 decent sized fish...

What's the best way to deal with this. Constant water changes? One piece of live rock from the display? A bottle of bio spira? All of the above?

Posted By: Zack801
Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 8:21pm
I used microbacter7 is all and got a stick on ammonia alert. Not sure if the bacteria helped at all as I was in a rush and it didn't have any time to establish. Everything has gone well and one tank I'm removing the copper since the 30 day treatment period is up. You can add live rock but just don't add it back to your display as it will have absorbed the copper.

Date Posted: December 18 2017 at 8:37pm
Ok cool thanks for the help. I have some microbacter and bio spira available to use. So far I've got a few pvc elbows for the fish to hide in, 1 piece of live rock, a heater, and an mp10 in the tank.   Just waiting for the temp to match my display and then I plan to move fish.

It was recommended to me to do a freshwater dip in in Seachem Paraguard, then move them to the hospital tank treated with Cupramine for 3 or so weeks. So that's the plan. Once treated I'm planning to move them to my second tank that is free of ich, while the main display tank fallows for 10ish weeks.

Feel free to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong here!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net