Print Page | Close Window

Friday meetings ???

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: Suggestion Box/Recommendations
Forum Description: This is the place to submit recommendations to the WMAS presidency.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=947
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 3:55am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Friday meetings ???
Posted By: Shane H
Subject: Friday meetings ???
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 11:50am
Has the presidency ever considered moving the meeting day from Thursday to Friday? It would make it much easier for those of us who have to travel. Just a thought ...

Replies:
Posted By: Adam Blundell
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 12:13pm

Up to the club......

Adam

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Posted By: rfoote
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 12:26pm
I wouldn't mind it either - might be able to pull it off as a date night! Hehehe!

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 12:37pm
Actually Thursdays are usually better then Fridays for me. But if it were moved to Fridays the attendance would most likely increase by at least one (my wife) as Ryan pointed out... hey I'm a cheap date (and easy )!

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Posted By: GonZo
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 1:19pm
I've been considered easy, but never cheap.

Friday works ok for me, but for many, this is the nignt to begin unwinding from the work week. I would think only dedicated fish geeks would take one friday a month. If that's all we want in the club, fine, but if we are looking to help any and all with their marine aquariums then (IMO) the better night would be Thursday. I think it would also depend on meeting hall schedule.

-------------
Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard

Posted By: mdawson8931
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 1:41pm
How about Thursday AND a friday? I'v always thought once a month was never enough.

-------------
Mike
Layton, Ut.

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 2:31pm
My vote is any day except Friday (My sexy husband always takes me out)

Posted By: rfoote
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 2:57pm
Suzy - isn't the WMAS meeting considered a date?

Posted By: mdawson8931
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 3:10pm
Your one of the lucky ones Ryan. I could NEVER pass it off as a date as much as I'd like to.

-------------
Mike
Layton, Ut.

Posted By: SSpargur
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 9:17pm

Friday would be much easier for me too.  I always have to take off work early on Thursday in order to make the meeting.  It's a PITA, but I manage.  Although I would definitely prefer Friday!

-------------
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT

Posted By: SSpargur
Date Posted: September 03 2003 at 9:18pm

Adam,

Maybe this could be a point of discussion for the meeting tomorrow?  Just a thought.

-------------
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT

Posted By: Mark Peterson
Date Posted: September 04 2003 at 8:44am
It has been brought up before, and I'm not saying it should'nt be again, but Cortney is on target regarding the past evaluations. We've asked for a show of hands on it almost yearly. The conclusion is always pretty much the same...too many of us think we would miss it because of other commitments to, and activities with, loved ones of the non-fishgeek variety.
Personally I've always thought that it was worth a try, but then I stop and wonder what would happen when my wife or kids say, "Let's go out." and I say, "I'm sorry but tonight is my fish geek night and I love my aquarium more than you"

-------------
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Posted By: tfowers
Date Posted: September 04 2003 at 9:44am
So the meeting is still on for tomorrow? Water Chemistry right? Should we bring our water to test? Is there a raffle? or anyone fragging?   - Tim

Posted By: Jake Pehrson
Date Posted: September 04 2003 at 9:44am
Friday?

-------------
Jake Pehrson

Murray

http://coralplanet.com" rel="nofollow - coralplanet.com

http://utahbeeranch.com" rel="nofollow - :)

Date Posted: September 04 2003 at 9:59am

No meeting tomorrow...... MEETING IS TONIGHT!!!

I don't believe we will be testing water? But that is up to the speaker.  There will be some raffle I'm sure. 

Adam

-------------

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: September 04 2003 at 10:39am
As the speaker ... I was not planning to do any water testing. If someone else wants to bring kits and do some testing, hey the sky's the limit! I had planned to do a survey of many different test kits all using a prepared standard to correlate kit accuracy, but time constraints overtook my intentions. I would (personally) still be interested in the results of this kind of study and may still do it... I just won't be presenting any results tonight.

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Date Posted: September 09 2003 at 3:26pm
Did this topic come up at the Thursday meeting, or has it been officially tabled? Just wondering - I wasn't able to attend.

Thanks.

Date Posted: September 09 2003 at 9:07pm

I'm going to address this at the next presidency meeting, which will be in October.

Thanks for not letting the issue die, and for bringing it up.  Usually people have ideas.... then they just get lost and no one follows up on them.

Adam

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: September 10 2003 at 12:07am
I don't know about you guys, but as a newbie I wonder how fridays will effect bringing in newcomers.  Even a geek like me has a date every once in a while, and although I love a good saltwater revival, I would choose a hot date over that anyday.  I am sure that most of us don't consider ourselves total nerds and may on occasion have a life that pulls us away on the weekends.  I don't know how everyone else feels, but that is just me.

Date Posted: September 10 2003 at 8:04am
Another alternative might be to have one meeting each quarter on Friday. (4 per year) This would accomodate some of the members that live outside the SL valley (and maybe some of the S.Utah reefers that have been recently posting)
I'm not convinced that club decisions should always be based on attracting new members. Nor should they be based on the minority that live more than 50 miles from SLC. But, if a compromise can be reached - then that is a potential win/win for the club.

Date Posted: September 11 2003 at 12:22am
I agree with Shane.
And I enjoy what Jimmy said!

-------------

Posted By: scroll
Date Posted: September 11 2003 at 12:35am
Thats my day off. That would be great.

-------------
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM

Posted By: tomason
Date Posted: September 12 2003 at 8:51am
At just one meeting per month, whether it's Thursday or Friday really doesn't matter to me. Plans can be made accordingly!

-Tom

Posted By: Kam Blake
Date Posted: September 14 2003 at 10:35am
I also could make the meeting if it changed to friday. Wife works sun -thues 2:00 to 11:00 night. 2 young kids in a room with a speaker. Ya right....

Posted By: Suzy
Date Posted: September 14 2003 at 12:50pm
Lots of kids come....

Posted By: ewaldsreef
Date Posted: September 14 2003 at 8:41pm
I would still attend on friday but I actually prefer thursday.
Thursday
Friday

-------------
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Posted By: Crazy Tarzan
Date Posted: September 15 2003 at 7:12am
Right now fridays would be better for me, since I have school mon-thurs.  But I can also understand the reasons for having them on thursdays.  I do like the once a quarter idea, since that would allow me to attend without missing school, and not cause everyone to have to re-arrange their schedules to much.  Just my 2 cents worth. 

Posted By: kingsspot1
Date Posted: September 15 2003 at 8:14pm
Fridays are fine w/me. However, I have only been to 1 meeting since becoming a member 2 years ago.

Posted By: Carl
Date Posted: September 26 2003 at 2:33pm

Just found this discussion and thought that I would throw in my nickel (inflation). For those of you who are swingers and couldn't dedicate one friday night a month due to a packed schedule... good for you!. However, this is STILL only one night a month. I think that perhaps people would be more willing to attend because most would not have to work in the morning. Perhaps (not that I have been to a meeting yet and cannot factually comment) the meetings could be more casual and relaxed and people wouldn't be too concerned about getting home to be up for work the next morning. This is a hobby and weekends are all about relaxing and focusing on things other than work. I think that it would be a great change for the club and really cater to a broader audience.

I think that that might have been worth a dime!

-------------
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posted By: Travis
Date Posted: September 26 2003 at 5:07pm

Fridays would defiantly be better for us out of towners .

Date Posted: October 01 2003 at 8:37am
I can't make the meetings on Thursdays. I was hoping someone could bring up the topic of the occasional Friday meeting tomorrow night.

It appears there is some interest based on the message board posts.

If there is a vote taken or something, pls consider this my proxy vote for the occasional Friday!!

Date Posted: October 01 2003 at 9:40am
Some of us wouldn't mind having the meeting run over into Friday! That's what Wendover is for...
If Adam doesn't bring it up I'll be shocked

-------------

Date Posted: October 03 2003 at 7:17am

I am so so sorry!!!!!!

I had been planning all week to have a vote by raise of hands, to get a general opinion.  Choice one meetings always on Thursdays, choice two some friday meetings, choice three meetings always on Fridays.  I had planned it, waited for it.... and totally forgot it.  I guess with me getting ready to leave early, and the confusion of the coral cutting, well I just missed it.  Sorry Shane, hopefully you or someone will remind me next meeting, because I don't want this to just get dropped.

Once again, the reason we didn't discuss this last night was completely my fault as I totally forgot all about it.  I remembered while laying in bed this morning and it was one of those things that makes you just jump up. 

Sorry,

Adam

-------------

Posted By: tomason
Date Posted: October 03 2003 at 9:57am
Adam, it's probably not so bad that you forgot. Those who can't make it on Thursdays wouldn't have been there anyway (though maybe this particular meeting was different).

Does this message board software have a "Poll" feature? So long as people can't/don't vote more than once it would probably be more accurate than doing it at a meeting.

-Tom

Posted By: twflint
Date Posted: October 03 2003 at 10:10am
My vote would be to stay on Thursdays. I usually have stuff going on Friday nights.

Troy      

Date Posted: November 06 2003 at 6:11am
Adam,

How about bringing this up tonight? I would appreciate it. I'm hoping for the occasional Friday meeting ...

Regards,
Shane

Date Posted: November 06 2003 at 10:29am

It's already been taken care of.... please see my post in recommendations that I am about to make. (by the way I just got on the forum now to make the update, and saw that you had posted this as well, what a coincidence)

Adam

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net