Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

white stuff on my powder blue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WaitForIt... View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: white stuff on my powder blue
    Posted: February 20 2017 at 8:15am

Does anyone know what this might be?  I first thought flukes, but i wanted to confirm before i try to treat him.
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 8:53am
Is it just that one spot? Does it appear to be under the skin or on top of the skin? Is it getting longer or just puffing up more?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 9:22am
It looks kinda fuzzy and on top of the skin.  I've noticed similar small patches on the fins, but they come and go pretty regularly.  This is the first time that the patches looked "organized".  It hasnt seemed to get longer or grow, but seems to get fuzzier.
It is possible that longing for something is actually better than having it. Satisfaction is the death of desire.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 9:33am
I was thinking flukes because of location and the line but flukes don't get fuzzy so I'm leaning away from that now. could just be ich which is common and gets fuzzy. He may have rubbed against a rock and it scratched  him in that shape as well.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 9:38am
i was considering dosing Prazi today, or trying to pull him and do a FW dip.  Is that too aggressive for the time being?  Like i said, the spots come and go.  I'm running a UV sterilizer and feeding with garlic daily.  He's very active and eats like crazy, both frozen and nori.

thanks for your quick replies!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2017 at 6:31pm
Ugh, a Powder Blue. Smile You are an expert hobbyist to be able to keep it healthy. Thumbs Up

Sounds like a slight case of Marine Velvet. I'm not sure that UV has much effect on Marine Velvet.

Which garlic is being used? The MarksReef Garlic Treatment has stopped Marine Velvet and saved most of the fish in my systems. I believe Garlic, like any medication/supplement can be overdone. The effects of anything, when used to excess can become ineffective, as though the target organism builds up a resistance to the effect. I use MarksReef garlic only occasionally, or when Ich or Velvet appears I will do daily doses for a week or less, only as long as it takes to clear up the issue. 

Copied here from the Reefkeeping Tips is the thread with instructions for use:
Garlic Oil - Best garlic and treatment directions: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71349

Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 2:34am
I really doubt it's marine velvet. If it's had it before and it's on the fins usually, could be lymphocystis...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 6:56am
I agree it's most likely not velvet as it would not come and go (especially on a powder blue) and would be effecting other fish in the tank not just the tang.

Lymphocystis fits, so does Brooklinella(sp).

As far as treatment. Prazi Pro would be a great thing but the stress of catching the fish to move to the QT could make the disease flare up more. I think if it were me I would make sure to feed well and watch for any signs of it getting worse or spreading. If he's had these signs before then chances are he will be able to fight it off again if kept well fed and healthy. I would also think about removing for treatment if it appears his gill plate is effected at all. The picture you posted is hard to tell if it's interfering with the plate or not.

I hope he got better over the weekend and this is all unnecessary.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 9:00am
I was thinking lympho too. I got home last night and the spots in the picture were almost completely gone! Like I said, this thing comes and goes. That's kinda why I don't think its brook. Right now, I guess I'll just keep him well fed and use garlic. By the way, I use the Kents garlic. So far, so good. I also have a sailfin tang that doesn't show any sign of infection. Keep em crossed!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 9:29am
If it's Lympho then chances are your sailfin will never show signs. They are so much more resilient than Powder blues. Once the signs of it go away I would back off the garlic as you can build it up in your system over time and not only will the tank smell like garlic but it won't be as effective at helping promote feeding in the future.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2017 at 9:31am
I disagree. I have seen Marine Velvet come and go. Also, it doesn't look exactly the same in every outbreak. I am not fish disease expert but I certainly have seen a lot of issues in my time.

Brooknella is almost always fatal and I've never seen anything that can stop it. Granted, I have not seen everything.

My suggestion would be to set aside the Garlic Extreme to try some of the Garlic that I found works more effectively in more tanks, Solgar Garlic Pearles. I'm not meaning to argue. I just know how powerful this stuff is in almost every tank I have used it. It has worked when Kent Garlic Extreme has not worked. Like I say in the thread, if a garlic product hasn't cleared the problem in a few days, it's not working. Switch to another.

Some may say I'm crazy to put so much faith in this one product. Well, I may be crazy, but consider this. There is a product that has similar unique power against a different issue, Kent Tech M. Bryopsis Algae only dies when Kent Tech M is used to raise Mg. No other Mg supplement kills Bryopsis. It has to do with the formulation, the recipe used to make the product.

You are in Taylorsville. I am in Murray. I carry a bottle of Solgar Garlic with me in my maintenance kit. Here is my phone # 808-345-1049. Please call/text your address. I can have some on your doorstep in 10 minutes.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 21 2017 at 11:10am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 10:47am
PM sent
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 3:12pm
I'm no expert, but I usually do a freshwater dip with what you have described.
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 3:33pm
My $0.02.

If the fish continues to eat and be active - do nothing and let the fish naturally fight off the parasite (or whatever it is).

If the fish shows ANY sign of not eating or becoming less active - then take immediate action.  Don't wait for it to decline.   Try any/all of the treatments above (minus the garlic Wink - unless it makes you feel better).

I've successfully kept one powder blue tang (tried several).  In each case, they developed serious cases of ich, but ... the one that kept eating during the outbreak survived it and became the king of my tank. 

My limited experience with this fish says that if it eats, it survives.

Good luck!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 6:58am
I'll bet it dies, nearly positive... but as Shane said I'd do everything to keep it eating.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaitForIt... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2017 at 8:46am
Still eating good and active!  Thanks for all of the input guys!  I'll keep my fingers crossed, cue ominous music (think happy thoughts, Adam).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic