Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!! I have a leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!! I have a leak
    Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:37pm
What are the odds of this.... My rubbermaid under the tank has a leak. It has been in for 8 months now and I didnt so much as empty my skimmer and sure enough a leak... I cant find it but boy every towel in my house is wet..... It is the 50 gallon Rubbermaid model from Lowes. I just when and bought a heavy duty plastic bin but when I tried to drill it it cracked right away....... What should I use as a sump/ref ?? I cant buy acrylic because it wont fit under the custom stand...
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:42pm
What are your dimensions under the stand?
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:54pm
I will get them, just a second....

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:56pm
Connie,

Is it leaking in a bulkhead? Has it cracked? The bulkhead gasket may be bad. Sorry I can't be of much help without seeing it.

If we know the dimensions, we may be able to make some viable suggestions.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 8:57pm
72  long    21  deep   but the opening to fit something thru is only 17 wide. The back is enclosed so it limits the bend you can put on things..... Its a custom acrylic stand..

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:03pm
I check everything, and looked at every seal... I wipe up the water under the bucket and a small amount is right back.... It is the bucket itself... SO ODD..... Anyway, I can tell from the water on the bottom, the leak is on the left side to the end of the bucket but after moving everything I still cant see the hole..... Im happy to relace it and at this point could care less how much it costs I just need something quick......

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:14pm
Is there a way to get around having to drill bulkheads on the rubermaid? I seem to rember your stand is very tight.
Sorry your having trouble
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:36pm
what about creating a temporary liner for the sump(rubbermaid) with a really large garbage bag or maybe some pond liner material from home depot?

it may buy you some time...

or even get some pieces of plastic and stick in the crack in the plastic

Brian
Family Portraits /Google trusted Photographer for Google Maps for Businesses
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:41pm

Your tank will be okay for days without the main pump and sump/refugium. You have the other pumps in tank. Don't worry, it will live okay. I think your heater is in the sump. Don't bother to heat the sump. It's better left cool for a few days, but put the heater up into the main tank.

I called and got no answer so you are probably at the store right now, buying another tub. If the replacement tub has an uneven bottom, which they all do, place a styrofoam sheet underneath to allow equal pressure on all underside surfaces. This will keep it from cracking on the bottom.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 9:54pm
Connie,

What about a regular 55 gallon aquarium? That should fit through your opening. You could have it drilled or whatever.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 11:57pm

Thanks guys.... Mark your right I was back @ Lowes... My old one was not drilled but to get the heavier plastic with the more solid bottom and avoid this again in the future, I had to get two or it would never fit thru the opening. We still ended up sawing off the top edge to get it in.... They were only 27 gallon tubs.... WHAT A PAIN IN THE .... My luck, I still cant figure out why out of the blue,,,, a leak???? I think some one is trying to tell me something.... Im going to start going to church,,,, Well at least Im not going to drink anymore on Sundys   

Watch, I'll get stuck by lighting when I break that one this Sunday watching the NASCAR race..

THANKS AGAIN everyone.......... Hold your breath and cross your fingers......

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 12:30am
Best of luck to you Connie! I hate mystery leaks
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 11:38am
I have found that just the water pressure will cause those tubs to break.
I had gone through 2 of them until I found what was doing it.
Fortunately my sump is in a seperate room which makes changing it out easy.

Do as Mark said and put some foam on the bottom and make sure there is good even support all around the sides also.

Good luck!
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic