Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will this MH/pc fixture work??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will this MH/pc fixture work??
    Posted: November 27 2003 at 9:52pm

Im trying to do a DIY MH/pc fixture. Heres the plan...

Buy a 24" fixture from AquaticCo http://www.aquaticco.com/175mhcf.htm  They sell just the fixture for $60.

Buy a 175Watt IceCap ballast off of Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=23624 30095&category=46314 $109

10,000K ushio bulb $65

24" Polished aluminum optical reflector for metal halide and compact fluorescent fixtures from AquaticCo $40

Cooling fan $13

For my pc's, I want to break down my Coralife 2x65 Watt aqualight and use them. FREE

Then comes the socket and wiring, which I haven't got a clue on how to do! 

Does this sound reasonable?? This MH stuff is new to me, so I have no idea what i'm doing. How could I make this cheaper??? Thanks for any help.

Adam

Edited by BananaTropics
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2003 at 10:39pm
I live in GA and I have seen some of AquaticCO's work @ Imagine-Ocean www.imagine-ocean.com and they are amazing.  Very clean and cool.  Let him know Chris Gallagher from ARC sent ya.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 8:12am
Are you in Utah?

You could save $$ by making the reflector of the same material bought cheaper locally at Advanced Lighting here in SLC.

I don't know for sure but you might check what fixture and ballast you can get from Commercial Lighting Supply, again local to SLC.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 8:32am

Ask for Bruno at Advanced Lighting.  I just bought enough sheet for my 125 and my father-in-law's 70 gal.  It's very good stuff (same as what you'll buy on line) and only about $2.50 per sq ft.  That's under $10 for the reflector you're looking at.  It's easy to bend the stuff to whatever shape you might like using wood boards (if you go this route and can't figure out how to get straight nice bends ask here).

Mark's like my straight man... I bought a couple ballasts from Commercial Lighting Supply this week too.  They are a local dealer of Fulham ballasts.  Fulham are great electronic ballasts for any type of fluorescent lighting.  But you said you want to just use the PC's you've got, so you may not need a fulham ballast.

I had quotes from Wesco here in SLC for 175 watt core and coil MH ballasts at right around $38.  But if you're getting the Ushio bulb you'll need either the electronic which you mention (Ice Cap) or a pulse start core and coil which might be (guessing here) $10-15 more then the probe start... so like $50 - $55.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 9:58am

I think I'll definitely check out Advanced Lighting. The $40 reflector is nothing more than a rectangle piece with not bends.  

Is this ballast retro kit a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=23626 97685&category=20755&rd=1

Thanks for your help guys

-Adam

GonZo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GonZo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 10:17am

Adam -

I only did a quick search, so I don't know if all the parts are there, but check out this link:

http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0001IZxV5SFwoWkqB40U7v 5/Products/Lighting/lighting.html?link=/Products/Lighting/ic mh.html

Cortney (West Jordan)
The joy of discovery is certainly the liveliest that the mind of man can ever feel. - Claude Bernard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 10:52am

Thanks Cortney.  That one is missing power cord and mogul, but maybe I can find those at an electrical supply company for cheaper.

-Adam

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 1:05pm
For a power cord you buy a $3 grounded 25' extension cord and cut off the recepticle!
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 4:19pm
You can find the ballast (ice cap) a few dollars cheaper if you search around on the net.  But $109 isn't bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 7:30pm

Well, here's what I think I'll go with. Im still new to all the MH stuff so please tell me if i'm buying something bad or if i'm missing something.

24" Aluminum composite fixture (AquaticCo)       $60

Ventilation fan (AquaticCo)    $13

IceCap retro kit        $200

(includes 175 W electronic ballast, 10,000K Ushio bulb, mogul ceramic socket with stainless steel mount (5kv), 1 power cord

24" polished optical reflector    $24

Am I missing anything???

Thanks for all the input. I don't know what I would do without this forum. So everyone thinks a 175W 10,000K MH + 2x65 Watt pc actinics will be enough light for my small 29 gallon tall aquarium. Enough light for anemones, acros and clams?? And I will never need to upgrade my lighting again  ???

One last question, should I even use actinic pc as a supplement, or should I just get a 14,000K or 20,000K bulb?

Thanks, Adam

Edited by BananaTropics
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 8:45pm

I would definately have the supplemental actinics.  Some would argue that is more important than the halide.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2003 at 9:17pm
I would agree with Adam, you will like having the actinics & a 10000K MH.  You could go with the single 20000K MH, but then you cannot stagger the light times and you can see the different colors between the actinics and the MH.  I would run the actinics for an hour or two before the MH comes on and then leave them on for an hour or two after the Mh goes off.  There are not many P.C. that are true actinic, most are just blue.  But I do not know which ones are true.  Can someone else help with that one?  For that and other reasons, I like VHO's over P.C.'s.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2003 at 9:15am
I have seen a PC that appeared to be true actinic, but I also agree that VHO is better than PC.

In my experience of seeing hundreds of hobbyist and professional tanks, MH/VHO is the best lighting for growth of anything and also produces the best eye pleasing color and effect.
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2003 at 9:26am
Does anyone know if any power compacts are TRUE actinic?  What manufactures?
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2003 at 9:58am
I bought mine of hellolights.com and they said they were 'true' actinic 03 bulbs.  I don't have any way to test them and see if it's true, but they seem to work.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2003 at 10:02am

I have a couple true actinics, but I do NOT like them as much as I like my new blue pc bulbs.  I got my blues from Scroll, I think they are like panasonic brand but I'm not sure.  If it were me, I wouldn't look for true actinic lights.  I have a blue and an actinic in a fixture, maybe I will bring it to the meeting so you can see the two bulbs side by side.

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2003 at 12:49pm

This may be personal opinion, but I disagree with Adam.  I would take true actinics (monochromatic light at 420 nm) over the PC "blue" light any day of the week.  I'd bet 90% (I would have said 100%, but it appears Adam's thrown a monkey wrench in my statistics ) of you would prefer it too.  The only reason I have actinics on my tank is to make my green's, yellow's and to a lesser extent blue's glow.  Blue light just make's 'em blue.  Actinics make them GLOW.

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2003 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Blue light just make's 'em blue.  Actinics make them GLOW.

I'll disagree with that.  The reason I like my blues is because they seem to make my coral glow more than my actinics did.  Also, they have increased growth rate, I think.  But I may be wrong.  Somehow I think my actinics just didn't give the light that the blues do.

Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 4:15pm

Here's what I found on HelloLights.com on the subject....

Q. What's the difference between a "Blue 7,100K" and "Actinic 03" bulb?
A. Excellent question! OK, a little background: The original "Actinic 03" bulb was made by Philips. They were not made for aquarium use, but were adopted once news spread about the beneficial aspects of using this bulb over reef tanks. Nowadays, "Actinic 03" has become the marketing term used to identify "blue" looking bulbs. Many bulbs are passed off as "actinic", when they are just a blue bulb.
So, to answer the question, Blue 7,100K bulbs are visually brighter than HelloLights Actinic bulbs. Blue bulbs will NOT fluoresce your animals as well as our Actinic bulbs. Many others sell "actinic", but they are really selling blue bulbs. The phosphors coating the interior of our Actinic bulbs are specially formulated to produce a narrow spike of concentrated violet/blue light. This is why they appear to be more faint than blue bulbs. If you have tons-o-corals, then we suggest going with Actinic 03. Remember, a visual measurement of a lights utility is a poor one.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2003 at 4:42pm

My experience has been exactly what hellolights.com is saying.

And it appears that there IS an actinic pc bulb afterall.

Edited by jfinch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic