Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Float Switch in a Display tank?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Float Switch in a Display tank?
    Posted: September 07 2007 at 11:12am
Is it possible to put a float switch in your display tank for an auto-top-off?  Is there one that I can buy that will work, or do I need to build my own contraception?
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 11:43am
Is there one that I can buy that will work, or do I need to build my own contraception?
I'm sorry, once I stop laughing I'll try to reply.  LOL
Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell - September 07 2007 at 11:47am
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 11:48am
wow, thats the last time I use spell check!  

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 11:50am
Now that's definitely one that will end up in someone's signature or quote book.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 12:02pm
I was about to say the exact same thing. That was a great laugh.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 12:03pm
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 12:06pm

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 12:21pm
Assuming you have no sump, correct? A simpler way is to use the Glug Jug. Email me for plans. [email protected]
But on the other hand, topoff does not have to be exact. A tank can drop an inch or more and be topped off all at once with no bad effect. And it can be safer to do manual topoff. Not if but when the topoff contraceptionClown malfunctions because of a snail or a fish or a piece of algae, etc., you will have a flood to clean up. Personally, I would never put a switch actuated topoff in the main tank, or if I did, I'd be sure that if the full contents of the resevoir dumped into the tank, there was room to hold it. Again, manual freshwater topoff of up to 5% of tank capacity (2.5 gals added to a 55 gal tank) is not a big deal. In other words, salinity is less of an issue than most hobbists think.
my 2 cents Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by superman1981 superman1981 wrote:

do I need to build my own contraception?

LOLSome DIY projects just aren't worth it.LOL
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 1:18pm

I agree with Mark.  It should be in the sump area, if you have one, or something like a glug jug.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 3:10pm
Well to those of you who actually answered my question and were able to overlook my spelling malfunction, I appreciate it!  Mark I'll be e-mailing you when I get a chance...

So what ever happened to Adam... he was supposed to respond for real when he stopped laughing... either he's still laughing like 3 hours later, or he laughed so hard his heart stopped, and poor Adam is no longer with us Dead

RIP Adam Blundell

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 3:19pm
I have had a top off unit in my main tank for a very long time. I use a float switch with a 10 gallon refill tank, and a maxi-jet power head (or at least I used to).

http://www.aquahub.com/store/ifloatfloatswitch.html -- these work, although I have had one burn out on me.

1. Make sure that things such as snails cannot get to the float switch. They LOVE to climb aboard and pump everything into the main tank.

2. Make sure that the refill hose does not sit in the main tank (You don't want to siphon your water out of the main tank.

3. I think that the refill reservoir should be fairly small compared to the main tank so that if something does go wrong, then all that happens is you fill up your tank to the rim but everything is still ok and you just have to wait for it to evaporate.

-- Here is what I do now --
I have a dosing pump that everytime my float switch gets below a certain level it triggers the the pump to dose a certain amount of water into the tank. Then it wont dose any more until the switch turns back off for at least 10 seconds.

pickensw View Drop Down
IMAS Friend
IMAS Friend

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pickensw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 4:06pm
Here is a Double Switch Tank Mount....I have the Sump model and I love it.

Will

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 4:31pm
I'm pretty sure I could build one of those for about $10, thanks for the ideas!

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 4:55pm
I think Adam is still laughing and showing your post around the office. LOL

Mike

Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 5:32pm
I just saw him at the hardware store asking for red, yellow and blue liquid laytex, a micro-sized spring-loaded bug zapper and a welding mask. It's anyone's guess what he's up to???Nuke Perhaps it's some unique contraption.

Edited by Jamison - September 07 2007 at 5:34pm
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by pickensw pickensw wrote:

Here is a Double Switch Tank Mount....I have the Sump model and I love it.

Will

That guy's not making over $1 hour making that.  I'm a huge diy'er and I'd probably just buy this from him rather then build my own (although I already have one).  The double switch w/relay is the best way to go, imo.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Jamison Jamison wrote:

I just saw him at the hardware store asking for red, yellow and blue liquid laytex, a micro-sized spring-loaded bug zapper and a welding mask. It's anyone's guess what he's up to???Nuke Perhaps it's some unique contraption.

Strange, he stopped by the refinery this afternoon looking for a barrel of petroleum jelly...Confused
sivert55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sivert55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 3:48am
Originally posted by Jamison Jamison wrote:

I laughed so hard I cried!!!
literally ROFLOL
-Trevis
Sold it all. Building a 285 with dedicated fishroom.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2007 at 9:36am
I'm calling it my "Great Barrier Reef Method"
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic