Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY supplies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
never2late View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY supplies
    Posted: October 25 2007 at 2:19pm
ConfusedCryO.k., so I am feeling totally overwhelmed with all this information I am trying to absorb. WHEW! I think I should go get a doctorate in nuclear physics, probably be easier!LOL I just want a nice tank. Enough whining. Question: Where do you get all the plumbing gadgets to set up your sump, HD has pvc and whatnot but where do you get those red handled shut off valves, acrylic (to build my sump), check valves(don't want my pumps siphoning my tank to the basement in case of power outage), Also need to find replacement "seals" for drilled holes in tank, 1" and 2". Don't know what they're callled, hope you know what I mean. I would like to make one trip into SL  and get 'er done if possible. I made a huge mistake by making Gahlen's tank/setup the first one (only one, so far) that I've looked at.Ouch LOL Also, since i'm rolling, before I get too silly turning a 30 gal into a sump; which is curing LR right now, is it way too small to act as a  refugium for a 190 reef? Should I look for a used 55-75+ ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
"Life's been good to me, so far"---Joe Walsh
jessedidthis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessedidthis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 2:36pm
aquarium plumbing you will need.

http://www.coralreefsupply.com/index.php?aquarium=plumbing
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 2:37pm
Hopefully I can help with some of this.  I'll start at the bottom.

Sump:  I suggest using the largest sump you can get that will fit under your stand.  I have a 180 gallon tank and wanted something large without spending a lot of money so I ended up using a rubbermaid tub that holds about 60 gallons of water.  It has been in use for nearly 4 years with no problem.  If you can get a cheap 55 or 75 gallon tank and it will fit that would great too.  In my opinion 30 will work, but there is no way all my equipment would fit in one that small. 

Shut off valves:  Home Depot or Lowes has the ball valves most of us use.  If you are willing to spend the money and wait a while see if you can find a PVC gate valve online instead.  The usually cost 3 or 4 times as much and aren't easy to find, but they do exist and it is much easier to control the flow rate with them.  Again I was cheap and wanted instant gratification so I went with ball valves from HD.

Bulkheads and seals:  You are guaranteed to find these online, but you should also be able to get them at any of the larger fish stores.  I would take a guess that any of them locally would have them, but I would call first unless you were OK with going to several.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on where they get acrylic.  I picked some up years ago, but I honestly have no idea where I was.Wacko

Good luck with the single trip thing, it seems always to take 3 trips to HD, minimum, for me to complete any DIY project.LOL
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 2:39pm
Home Depot has the valves too. Acrylic can be had at Regional Supply in SLC. I got my Check Valve at Marine Aquatics. Most LFS carry Bulkheads and will maybe have the seals. You can also get most if not all of the plumbing parts here: http://www.savko.com/ click on the links on the right side of the screen for the various parts.

A 30 gallon would be okay for a sump but too small to include a refugium IMHO.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 2:40pm
Oh, yeah. I would go with a 75 instead of a 55 because it is 18" front to back instead of 12 1/2"

Mike

Deep Pitt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deep Pitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 3:10pm
Another good source for acrylic is Delvies Plastics, also in SLC  (133 w. haven (2300 south) ). www.delviesplastics.com
John

SLC (S. Jordan)

200 Gal Reef

never2late View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote never2late Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 3:38pm
Big%20smileBig%20smile  Allright, love the help!! you guys are great! I think I may try the "Rubbermaid" idea for now. (setup costs are making TOP RAMEN seem gourmetLOL) Maybe i'll get one of those under bed kind, kinda shallow but lots of suface area. I guess I'm a little confused still, just when I thought I was starting to understand what everyone's talking about, What is the difference between a sump and a refugium? I thought it was basically the same. If you partition off the refugium isn't it creating a sump????????????
"Life's been good to me, so far"---Joe Walsh
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by never2late never2late wrote:

Big%20smileBig%20smile  Maybe i'll get one of those under bed kind, kinda shallow but lots of suface area.
What is the difference between a sump and a refugium? I thought it was basically the same. If you partition off the refugium isn't it creating a sump????????????

Good question. (I unfortunatly don't know the "correct answer")  If I were you I would call Marine Aquatics.  Eric makes custom sumps and has bulkheads and whatnot too.  As far as the rubbermaid idea... I would get the biggest tub you can fit under the tank.  Shallow isn't a good idea either.  Even if you have the ball valves and shutoffs there is still a certain amount of water that can still go from the tank to the sump (and vice versa) This is a good thread about that http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20841&KW=flood
It also gives you room for macro, skimmer, or whatever else you want to put in there.
I have a HOB refugium with skimmer and macro on my 130 and it works great.  The water is so clear.  IMO you should get a skimmer if you can and grow macro if you want to. (note you will need a light for it)

Edited by CrimsRayne - October 25 2007 at 3:56pm
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 4:15pm
Definately don't go shallow.  My opinion is the taller the better.  Just don't go so tall you can't get in it to work on things.  Mine here is about 16" tall.  At my office I have a sump that is closer to 24" tall.  I love it!  I only have to top off about once a week.

A sump is the tank beneath you main tank that has all of the equipment in it.  A refugium is space where there is low flow and things like algae, pods, and other things can grow without being eaten by fish or coral. 

A refugium can be a sump, A partitioned area within a sump, a separate tank with separate pumps feeding it or it can sit inside a sump like mine does. 

I have a separate box inside my sump that acts as a refugium.  It has one tube from my overflow that flows into it.  There is about 4" of crushed coral in the bottom of it along with a few pieces of live rock on top.  There is a ball of Chaeto algae in it and it has a 55 watt PC over it that comes on when the main tank lights go out.  This is called an RDP refugium. (Reverse Daylight Photosynthesis.)  This is supposed to help limit the PH swing from night to day.  The water flows into the refugium and then over the top of the container into the main sump.  (I'll see if I can find a pic.)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 4:17pm
Here's an old link:

Just in way of an update on that thread.  I am still using the original styrofoam box.  I has degraded a little, but not much over the last 3 1/2 years.

Edited by Will Spencer - October 25 2007 at 4:30pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 4:28pm
Like Will said. A sump is extra water volume and hides equipment such as pump, skimmer, heater etc. A refugium is a "refuge" for pods and other microfauna to grow and reproduce without being completely eliminated by predators in the tank. These critters slowly make their way up to the main tank through the pump and feed the tank.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 11:56pm
There is a 75 gallon here that would be good for a sump and probably a good price too.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic