Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which socks should a fish have?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which socks should a fish have?
    Posted: December 30 2007 at 11:58pm
I bought a 4 inch filter sock with a plastic ring the other day, and I'm realizing that I need to buy socks in pairs, even for fish! LOL 

I noticed there were two or three different kinds of socks - draw strings, plastic rings, just a bag that you'd maybe zip tie. So my question is this:

Is there a difference in getting the super huge 2 foot bag with draw string for $12 or do I get another 4 inch plastic ring type for $9? Are there any true benefits or is it just preference?
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 8:43am

It's just whatever type works for you.  I would think the smaller ones would be a pain because you will have to change them quite often. I use the larger ones and still change them every 4 days.  Over the last few years I've collected over 20 of them now.

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 9:26am
I like the large socks with no ring. It's what works for me.

Mike

KludgeGuru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KludgeGuru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 12:31pm
I got sick of changing mine so I just left it off.

-Rocks
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 4:46pm
I like the socks that are plastic micron rated (not the filter floss type). Much easier to clean and still way cheap on ebay. I also like the 2ft bag because they do fill up fast.
Jeff Rasmussen

bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 11:22pm
I would love to do without one but it's the only way of reducing my micro bubbles. Confused
28g Cube

Brandon in West Jordan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2008 at 11:46am
For me it really helped with noise and salt creep too.

Mike

DPOULSEN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DPOULSEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 12:31am
in addition to this post. i too use filter shocks as well, the one with the ring.
my question is, i clean mine in the washing machine with two caps full of bleach then let it air dry and place it back in my sump. am i doing this correctly?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 12:56am
I always rinse mine twice after washing with bleach.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
dustponds10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustponds10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 1:30am
I didnt even know that you could wash them.  just in bleach and that is it? that is nice to know. I dont run any right now but looking to run some in the future. 
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 1:37am
Just bleach, NO soap.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 8:07am
I've only ever used hot water to clean mine in the washing machine.

Mike

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 8:32am
I always use bleach and then wash again, (double wash) , the bleach that is left, if any, will evaporate out.  This keeps them nice and white.  Double washing is just a safe way to make sure that there wasn't any residual soap left from the washing machine.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2008 at 8:44am
I started cleaning with bleach after I read that Dion was doing it. So far, great results and no problems.
28g Cube

Brandon in West Jordan
kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 9:20am
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 10:03am
That should work fine.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 11:13am
You may be able to find them cheaper if you look around on ebay. I think I got some locally at The Aquarium for the same price as listed in your link.

I like these bags and this seller has been good to work with in the past. These are a nylon mesh and not the felt. They work well and are very easy to clean out (no bleach or washing machine, just rinse them by hand) http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-Two-2-100-Micron-Nylon-Mesh-Filter-Bags-WVO_W0QQitemZ320206944466QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20758QQcmdZViewItem
Jeff Rasmussen

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 11:54am
I haven't seen the nylon before. They are close to the filtering capacity but the "steel Ring" sewn in the top might be of concern.
Jeff, have you noticed any rust or other concerns?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 12:25pm
Dion, I emailed them and got some without rings when I ordered. They work great. They also come in all sorts of micron ratings. I am using either 100 or 200 micron.
Jeff Rasmussen

kdinkel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdinkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2008 at 4:02pm
Thanks jeffras.  I will email them as well and ask for them without the ring.  Do you need just this sock, or does it need an additional liner as well?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic