Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rejuvinate your tank!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rejuvinate your tank!
    Posted: February 02 2008 at 11:27am
All you have to do is take a powerhead and start dusting. I usually do this before doing a water change and changing the filter socks. Just blast all of the rocks in your tank with the powerhead and watch all of the junk it kicks up. Make sure all of your corals and frags are secure. Throwing a power filter on your tank for an hour or two will help clear the water quickly. If you are having water quality troubles but all of your parameters are in line this might be what you need. Happy reefing.

Edited by JS - February 02 2008 at 11:41am
Be careful who watches your tank! http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27846
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 11:31am
Good suggestion.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 11:35am

This should be part of everyone's monthly maitenance routine.

JS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 11:42am
I think it should be a monthly maintenance routine also but I wonder how many people actually do it.
Be careful who watches your tank! http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27846
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 11:42am
a yes the smutchz shower ! It's quite disgusting to watch. super suggestion!
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 11:49am
Originally posted by JS JS wrote:

I think it should be a monthly maintenance routine also but I wonder how many people actually do it.
I don't do it monthly, but I do it. I do it to my fuge too.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 12:27pm
It is amazing to me how much detritus is blown off of the rock when I do this.

Mike

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 6:58pm
Good advice!
Just adding another powerhead to a tank will low flow will make a big difference too.
eldiente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 10:41am
What's a "power filter"?
Brian
Twin Falls, Idaho

210 Gallon Glass reef
soundsurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 10:52am
Question...When I do a water change, I usually use the siphon so suck all this junk out in between and on top of rocks, and in cracks.  It keeps it from floating all over the place.  Im assuming its the exact same as what you propose here, but since my tank is small (30g) then I can just siphon it out without blowing it all over the place.
eldiente View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eldiente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2008 at 11:57am
Originally posted by soundsurfer soundsurfer wrote:

Question...When I do a water change, I usually use the siphon so suck all this junk out in between and on top of rocks, and in cracks.  It keeps it from floating all over the place.  Im assuming its the exact same as what you propose here, but since my tank is small (30g) then I can just siphon it out without blowing it all over the place.

Right! I like to use a small 3/8" tube to suck off the rocks, it can get in the small nooks and crannies better.
Brian
Twin Falls, Idaho

210 Gallon Glass reef
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 9:23am
I blow on my rocks weekly with a turkey baster. Works like a charm. 
Call or Text (801)834-3119
sunflashx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunflashx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2011 at 10:44am
This guy attached a MaxiJet 1200 to a length of 1/2" PVC pipe with a bracket on the end.  That way you don't have to put your arms in the water.  Not a revolutionary idea, but I always like to look at pictures of gadgets and such.  Smile

http://www.glassreef.com/proj_rock_blower.php

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic