Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Sand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Sand
    Posted: April 03 2008 at 12:13pm
Is there anywhere close to Roy that I could run out and fill a 5 gallon bucket with sand for my tank?  I have enough live sand for my 90 but not enough for the 110 so want to mix the Live and Utah sand.  If there's nowhere close can I pick up playground sand at Home Depot and if so, what kind/brand is safe?  Will the addition of base sand cause any huge cycle spike?  It will be about 50% live and 50% dead.  Oh oooof course I need it within the next few hours.
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:10pm
I wouldn't use playground sand because it is all silicates. This would cause you a major silicate problem.
As for other sand, I don't know of any, sorry.
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:12pm
Eeeew, ok thanks!  I'll just hope someone knows of a good sand location ... erm.. beings how we're all living in a desert but everywhere I went to look just had dirt.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:31pm
I have a 3 gal bucket of utah oolitic in american fork if you can grab it (or someone will take it to you)
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
firefighter6681 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firefighter6681 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 1:38pm
I have some Utah sand left over only thing is though is it still needs to be sifted. I live in West Haven. Let me know if you want it. 
65 Gallon and just getting started again after over year break.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic