Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LED bulb for MH fixture?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 2:00pm
Very nice.  So I see a couple nice things about this- no $$ controller.  I'm not sure I would need all the dimming and color changing features that come on other LED systems.  I like the compactness, which allows one to put more of these on a tank.  Plus the power usage is great.
How about the color spectral plots?  Is it similar to a 10k MH, or?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 2:04pm
See if you can get CD to send us one... and I'll test it for you. Embarrassed

edit- also, I believe Tullio is making these lights as well???  http://www.arad.us/
Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell - September 15 2008 at 2:05pm
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 2:05pm
Oh, and the math on the CD web site seems odd- 42 watts for this versus a 175w MH (which may be running at 200 watts) is a 5:1 ratio, but the power cost is a 26:1 ratio.  What in the wide world of sports gives?  $1.25 per month versus $33 per month?  If that's true, then I have some great ocean front property to sell.

CoralDynamics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoralDynamics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Corey Price Corey Price wrote:

Oh, and the math on the CD web site seems odd- 42 watts for this versus a 175w MH (which may be running at 200 watts) is a 5:1 ratio, but the power cost is a 26:1 ratio.  What in the wide world of sports gives?  $1.25 per month versus $33 per month?  If that's true, then I have some great ocean front property to sell.

I used the Calcutator on RC, and looks like I screwed it up...  The Kill-O-Wat showed 198w on the 175w ballast and bulb I was using... That figure is closer to 798w   I need to go fix that...  THANX!!  

175w pulling 198w would be 8.67/mo
I am making the changes now...  sorry for the bad info.  That is one of the problems of being the only one checking my figures...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoralDynamics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

See if you can get CD to send us one... and I'll test it for you. Embarrassed

edit- also, I believe Tullio is making these lights as well???  http://www.arad.us/
Adam

I don't have spectral plots yet.  I am looking for a spectrograph locally to borrow. 

No, Tullio is NOT making these.  The ones I got from Tullio were yellow/green streetlights.  Here is a photo of mine next to his at MACNA.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 3:01pm
Awesome!
Thanks again for coming here to share.  It is flippin' sweet to see you taking the time to answer our questions. 

If you want, you could mail a bulb to Sanjay and I could get him to test it.  By the way I'm now even more excited to see you next month.

Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoralDynamics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 3:08pm

Awesome!
Thanks again for coming here to share.  It is flippin' sweet to see you taking the time to answer our questions. 

If you want, you could mail a bulb to Sanjay and I could get him to test it.  By the way I'm now even more excited to see you next month.

Adam

I have one coming in on my next batch to send to him.  I know he tested the "other" one and was not impressed with the findings  (I don't they have been released yet).  I did not get a chance to talk to him directly about this one at MACNA, so I hope he will look at this one for me.

The meeting next month is not a "done deal" for me yet, and I may not know right up until the last minute.  I am hoping to make it though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 11:04pm
So any chance we might get a sample?

So really, the bulbs pay for themselves in about two years instead of five. Folks, we're seeing LED's get closer to being part of the lighting future of reef tanks.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2008 at 11:10pm
I personally am looking forward to these, I was planing on updating my lighting system so I guess I will wait a bit and see how these pan out.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoralDynamics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 12:55pm
Just some Updates:

Sanjay is going to run the bulb through his series of tests for me.  I should be sending it out to him in a week or two when the orders catch up a bit.

Also, I have been logging pics of the corals under the light since I set the tank back up when we got back from MACNA.  The tank has been back up for 10 days, and I moved an assortment of corals in there on the day I set it up.  All are doing well.  But on Day 5 I moved in two acro frags and a pavona frag.  I can see growth after 5 days.  The pavona of course is faster than the acro's but still, I thought it was pretty cool to see growth on them all in that amount of time.
You can check em out if you want to:  http://www.coraldynamics.com/LED_Growth.htm
The light is 18" off the bottom of the tank, and about 14" off the top of the frag rack that is in there.  The light is 2" off the water surface.

Thanks for the interest.

Edited by CoralDynamics - September 19 2008 at 12:56pm
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2008 at 12:59pm
these are awesome bulbs, please keep us updated since I would much rather buy one light for a tank than new ones yearly.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 9:37am
CD- I'll be seeing you in 10 days!

Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoralDynamics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 11:14am

CD- I'll be seeing you in 10 days!

Adam

Does not look like I am going to make this one Cry   We have the grandbaby coming in to town a few days before.   Sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic