Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

60 gallon cube blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Broman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60 gallon cube blog
    Posted: September 20 2008 at 4:49pm
I'm setting up a new 60 gallon cube and wanted to start a thread on it to share how it's going and also to get advice on my set up.  Here is some pics of the tank, stand, and canopy as I bought it:

I installed foam underneath the tank on the stand as well as underneath the stand.

Edited by Broman - September 20 2008 at 4:52pm
60g Cube, 30g sump/refugium, 1 250W MH, 2 24" T5's
Ogden
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 4:57pm

That's a nice looking tank.  It will be great watching your progress.

DebBig%20smile

Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Broman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 5:00pm

My first question: The tank came installed with two upturned elbows installed into bulkheads leaving the tank.  Here's a couple pictures:

The question is, are these going to be the best option for me, or should I install some type of overflow around the bulkheads to getting better skimming surface area? 
My second question is: Will the white background that the back of the tank came painted with will be any good, or will it be too reflective?
Ogden
john hill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 5:35pm
those are ok but you will need some type of screen or some thing to keep snails out
out with the large and in with the nano
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2008 at 5:50pm
Great tank size! I'm looking forward to following this thread.

I've seen elbows used before and didn't see any real problems. I agree with John, I would consider putting some kind of strainer on them to prevent them getting clogged by snails. I also would paint the back of the tank something other than white. My preference is black.

Mike

superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 2:50pm
Nice tank!  I think I"m going with a 60 gal cube for my next tank!  Keep us updated on the progress.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 3:01pm
I saw a tank with very dark window tint on the back it worked well and I agree that white isnt my personal choice
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Broman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 1:51pm
Thanks for everybody's comments!  I have another question.  I want to drill my return but I was wondering if anybody has a recommendation as to where I should drill it.  I was thinking in the center of the back of the tank horizontally, but I'm wondering where vertically.  Would there be any advantage to drilling it closer to the bottom of the tank?
Ogden
Broman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 10:53pm
Here's an update on the progress thus far:

Installed cooling fans in hood:

I ran a water line from my RO+ DI filter in the basement up into the attic under the insulation and back down the wall to my aquarium.  The following pictures show how I located the spot where I needed to drill in the attic by using my mag-float stuck to the ceiling.  I then brought it out of the wall with a cover to make it look a little more "professional".  I had some good advice from an electrician friend on it:

Here's a picture of the back of my aquarium after painting it blue.  I had a black background on my last tank, so I wanted to go with something new:

Here's some pictures of my sump setup and plumbing.  I had an old 20g and 10g I wanted to use, but couldn't fit them in the stand side by side so I built a small stand for the 10g and had it hang out a few inches over the 20g.  I have 2 overflows, one going into the refugium (10g) and one going into the 20g (sump).  The right hand overflow runs directly into my sump, the second into my refugium.  I slowed the flow into the refugium using a ball valve.  The water flows out of the 10g refugium via. a bulkhead near the top with some piping down into the 20g, then through some baffles and into the pump chamber.  I ran my mag 9.5 externally out the side and back up into the tank.  Here's some pics:

Here's a pic from the front after set up:

Here's some pics after I set up the tank.  I used mostly figi rock from my old 65g long with some caribsea reef bones mixed in.  I just have the 2 actinic t5's that I retrofitted into the hood on.  I also have a 250w metal halide pendant but no pics yet:

I am getting a LumenBright mini MH pendant this Friday that I will run my 250W 10,000K MH on.  I've heard that it's supposed to put off more light at a greater distance off the water.  Anyone with experience with these?  Well, that's all for now.
Ogden
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 11:02pm

It is coming along nicely. I like it!

Mike

MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2008 at 11:23pm
I really like it.  I have a 60 cube that your thread has inspired me into getting built.  Let's hope I can construct a better system than the construction of that last sentence.  Keep updates coming
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 8:39am

Nice work.

superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 10:31am
That's freaking sweet!  I love cubes, keep posting pics!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Broman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 8:21pm
Thanks for all the comments!  Here are a few pictures of the tank with both the T5's and my 250W MH pendant on:

Edited by Broman - October 16 2008 at 8:22pm
Ogden
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2008 at 8:39pm
Thats a good looking set up you have there.
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 1:02pm
The cube is looking great, you have done a wonderful job.  Have you had any issues will gettting the flow the way you want it since it is a cube? 
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

GARFVolunteer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARFVolunteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 1:06pm
Looks great.  I love cubes...
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes
Jeff Morrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Morrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2008 at 3:41pm
Clap Watching!!!!!! Sweet set up.
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.
Broman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2008 at 8:43pm
Thanks for all the positive feedback!  Keith (chk4tix), I have 2 Koralia 3's & a mag 9.5 return pump.  Altogether I figure I get about 2400 gph running thru my tank, which is about 40x the tank volume.  It makes for pretty decent flow in the tank.  I do get a little sand stirrup, though, if you or anyone has any suggestions.  Right now I have the powerheads pointed at each other and the return pointed off to a side.
Ogden
Broman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Broman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2008 at 10:14pm
The tank's doing great so far, I've added some corals and a green and a rose BTA.  I got a Clarkii Clown at aquatic dreams last night - I normally don't like them much, but this one was beautiful.  I wonder if it is a black Sebae??? Can anyone confirm?  Anyways, here's a couple of pics:

Ogden
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic