Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How does the frag fest work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does the frag fest work?
    Posted: December 15 2008 at 3:32pm
So the frags just sit in coolers the whole time?  Have folks with long drives (1-1.5 hour) been able to get them back into their tanks?  Who determines prices?  Is it a members only thing?  Do free-market laws apply, or is it first come first served?  Have you ever been in a fist fight over a coral?  Did you win that fist fight?

I'm thinking about making this my first meeting ever.  I plan on making a rubber-maid tank a frag tank until I can get the tank up and running, so, any info you have to help me out would be nice.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 3:37pm
Pretty much it works like this... people who donate corals get the first pick... then everyone else is set free and like 10,000 people rush into a 50sq foot room, and rummage through baggies full of water and frags on little round tables Big smile

It's awesome, I always make frag fests!!!  And if you're looking for a fist fight, grab one of the corals I have my eye on, and I'll be sure to start a rumble LOL
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 4:04pm
What if I donated a frag like 3 years ago, but never got my first pick?  Does that mean the pick grew with interest and I get like 5 picks?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by chris.rogers chris.rogers wrote:

What if I donated a frag like 3 years ago, but never got my first pick?  Does that mean the pick grew with interest and I get like 5 picks?

LOLLOL
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 4:38pm
i dont think that works. What percentage of interest rate is that?
[COLOR="Red"](801)664-4240

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 4:46pm

I'm thinking about making this my first meeting ever. 

Im wondering how he donated with out attending?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 4:49pm
To answer your questions. Yes you will need to transfer by way of cooler. If its in your trunk they will die. Members get the frags for 1/2 off the marked price. The presidency sets the prices.(much cheaper than a store) Fist fights are not encouraged but a little entertainment never hurt anyone.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 5:28pm
I can't wait to go!! I am EXCITED!!
75 Reef
55 Reef

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 6:38pm
I am on vacation from 12/23 all the way until 1/05/09 Star

Can't wait to see the expression on the boss' face when I come in on 1/05 and tell him I'm taking a 1/2 day off on 1/06 for a "fragfest"

Oh well LOL

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tazman1982 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazman1982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 6:39pm
Work can wait!!
75 Reef
55 Reef

Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by carlso63 carlso63 wrote:

I am on vacation from 12/23 all the way until 1/05/09 Star

Can't wait to see the expression on the boss' face when I come in on 1/05 and tell him I'm taking a 1/2 day off on 1/06 for a "fragfest"

Oh well LOL

Ah, just make it the whole day. He might understand better then.
Andreason's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 8:46pm
I donated because Heil was president at the time, and came up from Brigham to get a frag of candy cane out of my nano.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it, but I wanted to help.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 9:10pm

If it was 3 years ago then the picks were picked even if you didn't do the picking!

Mike

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2008 at 9:28pm

I donated because Heil was president at the time, and came up from Brigham to get a frag of candy cane out of my nano.  I wasn't sure I was going to make it, but I wanted to help.

My hats off to you. Thats awesome. I will donate again and let you have my special invite.
Bad "censored" Cabinets

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 12:14pm
That's kind of you, Dion.   Don't worry about it though.  I was posting more tongue in cheek than anything.  I'll be happy to get a few frags of the popular ilk and wait my fair share of time to do so.  Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 12:15pm
Quote If it was 3 years ago then the picks were picked even if you didn't do the picking!

Touche!  LOL

Edited by chris.rogers - December 16 2008 at 12:16pm
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 1:28pm
I donated because Heil was president at the time, and came up from Brigham to get a frag of candy cane out of my nano.

Man, that Heil is a stud! Wink
Seth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 12:59am
So if we donated a frag then we get first pick of a free frag. If we dont donate then we wait and pay for a frag?

Im planing on fraging my green fuzzy mushroom for this. It doesnt fit in the tank I have to much green.
75gal sps dominated reef.
Bigger and better coming soon
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 1:05am
I wouldn't mind going down to the meeting Chris.  Maybe we should car-pool.  Andy may be up for another meeting as well.  The frag fest is something else as meetings go.  Oh, and I'm sure I can come up with a frag for you to donate so you can get in for first picks - I owe you a few anyway.  I still have the "legendary" Chris Rogers frogspawn and have yet to see one a brighter green!  LMK when you are ready for a head of that bad boy! 

You need to see my new Flame tip anemone.  It is insane!  I posted a couple of horrible pics on the invert threads.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 8:06am
I know I have some frags that needs to go down there but I will not be there.  Im going up to Washington to see my little girl.  So if someone wants to take some of mine down there and maybe be nice and get me something cool that would be great.  I fly out on the 6th so that sucks because Im going to miss it by just a few hours.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic