Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saving the Pods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saving the Pods
    Posted: January 06 2009 at 12:10pm
I'm tearing down the 29 gallon tank and it's been up and running since Aug with no predators at all and is overrun with huge fat pods!  Any ideas how I could maybe move those into my main tank?  They cover the sand and walls.. I'm moving the rocks already so some will go but most are on the ground.  With no predators and plenty of food they are way big and fun to watch.
Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 12:14pm
Do you think if you put a bowl of chaeto in the tank they would all jump in there when the lights came on? Then you could put that in your main tank. My lightly stocked tank has some large pods. They creep me out lol! I see them even in the day sometimes. They are scary.
Andreason's

CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 12:36pm
I love pods too.  They are so cute and tickle when they get on your hand.  LOL

For the ones on the walls, a really fine mesh (brine net) might scoop them right of and into the net.  (I use this to collect stomatellas and spread the wealth)

Obviously, if you take the sand you take the pods. (helpful huh)
One way I tried to save some from when I moved a tank and cleaned the sand, was by stiring up the sand.  The pods sink with the sand, but should land on top. Shortly after, use a tube or an aquarium vac to suck up the top of the sand.  From here, you can do "water changes" on the bucket/tote you put the pod-water in (or just drain the water above the sand as the pods should sink.  In the end you should end up with some sand and pods.

Another option, not the best if your other tank is already established, but you could just put the sand from the 29 in a fuge and just let them help out down there.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Kynneke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kynneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 1:50pm
Thanks, I'll try a few of those!  I can't put the sand into the sump/fuge because that's where my left-over LR is going, I can only handle one bio-spike at a time heh.  I know my current fuge has tons of pods but they aren't this big!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic