Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Raising Fry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raising Fry
    Posted: October 22 2004 at 12:15pm

Anyone out there currently raising fish?  Anyone who could use a tank designed to raise their fish?

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2004 at 1:26pm
I am !!!

I'm trying to raise Hippocampus zosterae (dwarf seahorses) H,
kuda (the common seahorse) and, I keep getting ocellaris
clown eggs. I have some right now!

I have had good success with the dwarfs, no success with the
full sized equines, and still haven't been able to get the act
together to pull the clownfish eggs out of the big tank and try!

What are you thinking?

I really want to raise my full sized horses. They are a very
difficult, pelagic fry to raise. I would love any suggestions for
nursery designs for them.

Edit: FIRST DIBS!!! Sorry Sushi! It's tradition!

Edited by Suzy
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2004 at 1:48pm

I built a tank that has the rounded sides like you see used for Jellyfish tanks.  It is a 20 gal that is perfect for raising fry, very similar to the tanks Burhan's showed us when he came. 
Now I'm just trying to decide what to do with it.  Would you be interested in trying your ocellaris fry in it?

Adam

jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2004 at 8:09pm

HAY ADAM IF YOU HAVEN'T GOTTEN RID OF IT I WOULD LOVE IT THANKS.  JASON

if wishes were fishes we would all have some
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 7:56am
Adam, what is the white material?

Will it create a circular flow in the tank?

What will cause the flow? Airlines? power head?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 9:12am

Yes circular flow tank.  Powerhead driven.  Well designed (if you ask me) and much more advanced than previous jellyfish tanks.  It uses a sand bed filtration, but the best part is that has easy water change using a 5 gal bucket. 

Sabey- tell me your story.  Why do you want it and what will you do with it.

Basically if it is going to sit in someone's garage, then I might as well just keep it myself.  I'm looking for someone who will build a 2x4 stand and actually set it up and use it.

Adam

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 9:14am
I'll use it if I can ever get my clownfish to spawn...  or if anyone else will give me eggs from spawning clownfish--or maybe even bangaii cardinal fry...
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 10:04am
Adam, I already have a a stand!!! And, rots! And green! And
pelagic fry!

But, I can build this if you teach me!

The powerhead sits in the bottom layer? Just above the sand
bed? The sand bed is how deep?

Is the water done through the pvc on the side? How does it
enter the tank? Could I use the pvc to add a algae scrubber
sump?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 10:12am

Suzy,

I'll bring it to the next meeting, or to your house and you can check it out.  How does that sound?  I did give Dave Tea first dibs but haven't heard from him in a while.

Adam

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 10:18am
Today?

Seriously, I am on a new to know basis right now! I have been
researching and reading and mb'ing and i am so frustrated! I
was going to start a thread next week about my futile attempts
at seahorse fry raising!

What is the white material?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 10:21am
And, is it permanently fixed to the galss? How is it attached?
Could I put a heater down there? Silly question, but what if it
needs to be replaced?

Could I fill the botton with chaeto?

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 10:23am
Before I die, I will raise a H. kuda fry to adulthood! I do have the
record on seahorse.org! 7 weeks! To the hitching stage!

Tell me!Tell me!Tell me!Tell me!Tell me!Tell me!Tell me!Tell
me!

Please!Please!Please!Please!Please!Please!Please!Please!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 10:24am
Rob says I'm impatient! Weird, huh?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 10:25am
He also made fun of my eggs!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 8:45pm

Wow look at all these posts from Suzy.  Is there anyone else out there who is trying to raise things?

The white plastic is Styrene.  I have plenty left over from this project.  It is not permanantly attached, and you can fill the lower area with anything you want.  It is much easier to explain as if I show you the tank than to describe it here. 

Adam

P.C Pond buildr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.C Pond buildr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 9:06pm
I have my cardinals as usual..I have 7 new ones f/s soon and a mouthful on the way...
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 9:08pm

Hey PC please tell us what you feed your cardinals and how you raise them.  Linda just had 12 babies tonight, and is giving her first attempt at raising them.

Adam

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2004 at 9:37pm
David Tea doesn't come to the board very often (if at all?).  He's busy with the fry he's got right now.  His larvae were supposed to hatch last week.  Just thought I'd let you know, Adam.
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2004 at 7:39am
Styrene? It lets the water through? Can I come to your house
today? To get some styrene?

I need to see the pvc escape route!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2004 at 8:23am

Wow Suzy are you really in that kind of hurry?  I'd be happy to make another tank.  I'd need a 20 gal tank that has been drilled and about $40 in bulkhead fittings.  This tank isn't ready to set up yet, it needs a stand.  It can't sit on a flat table or anything because the drain is on the bottom of the tank. 

The styrene has small holes drilled along one top side.  So the water basically flows in a circular pattern and escapes out the top right side. 

Here is another problem--- Suzy how do you keep your food densities high in a larger tank volume?  Is that a problem with horses?  Like if you have your fry in a 2 gal fish bowl, you can fill that thing with rots.  But if you have them in a 55 gal tank the rots would spread out.  Is that of concern when raising horses?

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic