Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I catch a clownfish?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I catch a clownfish?
    Posted: October 21 2010 at 9:52pm
My tomato clown has killed his last fish. He's gotta go. Hes about 3 years old and mean as all heck. And smart. Any time he even sees the net, he is gone gone gone! Is there a way to catch him without tearing down all my rock?
Life is good....right?
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:08pm
have you try to lure him with 2 nets? i heard of fish traps but i never seen one in my life
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:23pm
I use a bottle like a 20 oz. or 2 liter pop bottle take off the label and cut the top part off. I then put it in my tank with food in it, frozen works best and wait for it to swim in to get the food. I have caught every fish I own doing this method.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:29pm
What do you mean cut the top off? How far down? Do you lay the bottle sideways on the bottom? I have a feeling he wont go in. Hes super smart, but I will give it a try.
Life is good....right?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

What do you mean cut the top off? How far down? Do you lay the bottle sideways on the bottom? I have a feeling he wont go in. Hes super smart, but I will give it a try.

Cut the top to where he can fit in the bottle and then lay it sideways on the bottom of the sand, you will need to fill it with water for it to sink. I fill it up drop the food in hold my hand over the opening while I turn the opening to the water and get it to sink this causes the food to go to the end of the bottle that isn't open.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:39pm
Also I put it in the tank and sit somewhere in the room very still preferably where the fish can't see me so that they get comfortable. I have caught all my wrasses, tangs and clowns this way.
Jackie Stuver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:01pm
So if he swims in there, I run over.....stick my arm in the tank with ninja lightning speed and scoop out the bottle, before he just simply swims out? Hmmm Okay, I will give it a try. I should probably record this, I sense a youtube moment coming on....

Edited by Jeffs_little_ocean - October 21 2010 at 11:02pm
Life is good....right?
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:41am
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 1:27am
Originally posted by kellerexpress kellerexpress wrote:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=249712

try this

Exactly what I was talking about however I forgot one of the things you can do is cut it that far and put that part back in. I just cut the hole big enough for them to get in and when they go in there if you are fast enough I come at the tank from the end that is open which causes them to swim to the end that is closedTongue
Jackie Stuver

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:29am
The best trick, is wait until the lights are out and the fish is asleep. Then simply reach in scoop it up and put in in whatever container you have for it. Works every time.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:49am
i was wondering what fish did it kill?
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 2:43pm
Jeff,

The club has a fish trap. I don't know who has it now, but if you reach out to Adam. He might know.

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 12:24am

So I made a bottle trap, but so far no luck. He wont go in. Ive caught every other fish in my tank though LOL To answer your question SGH, he kills any other clown Ive put in, and the last fish was a purple firefish that swam too close to his fav anenome and he grabbed it by the head and shook it so hard, it tore its head off. If I ever do catch him, he's free to anyone who wants him lol. Maybe someone with a very agressive tank?? Thanks for the advise Danh, I will send Adam a PM about the trap.

Life is good....right?
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 12:35am
I started feeding my tank from my fingers, if my fish want food, they have to come and get it from my fingertips. I have a pair of gsm's, and a bristle tooth tang that will come and take the food. I started doing it in case I ever had to get the clowns out of the tank.

When the net goes in does the clown go to the anenome? I just redid my rockstack, and one of my clowns refused to leave the anenome, even when I pulled it and the rock out of the water.
Some day, when I grow up,...

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:10am
LOL Been there done that. I even went fishing once with a tiny #22 hook baited with a tiny piece of worm. The target fish, a Neon Black Damsel, must have been the smartest fish in the world because it stayed away from the bait while I hooked some of my Tomato Clownfish

I agree with Steve, easiest fishing I've ever done is at night.Big smile

I prepare the tank before lights out with the top open and a way to turn on the lights.

I'll often set my alarm to wake me. Staying out of sight with the room dark I silently creep/crawl over to the tank. With net in hand I flip on the tank lights all at once. This blinds the fish momentarily while I just scoop it up and drop in in a small bucket of tankwater. Works as slick as a whistle and I'm back in bed in 5 minutes sawing logs ZzZzZz.LOL

If the fish is hiding in the rocks, it cannot see and is very sluggish. I quickly move it out with my hand or a stick to where I can get the net around it. If this doesn't work the fist night, the experience I gain makes me successful the next night. Thumbs Up

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 25 2010 at 9:15am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 10:13pm
why dont you try to catch him at night when the lights are off you can just go in slow and catch him
It's not about what you know but about who you know
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

LOL Been there done that. I even went fishing once with a tiny #22 hook baited with a tiny piece of worm. The target fish, a Neon Black Damsel, must have been the smartest fish in the world because it stayed away from the bait while I hooked some of my Tomato Clownfish

I agree with Steve, easiest fishing I've ever done is at night.Big smile

I prepare the tank before lights out with the top open and a way to turn on the lights.

I'll often set my alarm to wake me. Staying out of sight with the room dark I silently creep/crawl over to the tank. With net in hand I flip on the tank lights all at once. This blinds the fish momentarily while I just scoop it up and drop in in a small bucket of tankwater. Works as slick as a whistle and I'm back in bed in 5 minutes sawing logs ZzZzZz.LOL

If the fish is hiding in the rocks, it cannot see and is very sluggish. I quickly move it out with my hand or a stick to where I can get the net around it. If this doesn't work the fist night, the experience I gain makes me successful the next night. Thumbs Up

Mark, I'm trying to get a visual on what it looks like, you doing an army crawl across the floor in the dark in your PJs with a fish net in hand.LOL
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 3:31pm
Who says I wear PJ's? LOL
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 3:37pm
Ive got 5 bucks that says yes Mark DOES wear PJ's. And I bet his favorite pair has a big ole Nemo on the chest! LOL
Life is good....right?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 5:54pm
i dont know if you got the clown yet but what worked for me was 2 pund tess fishing line and a super small hook. youll have to go to a fly shop to find one that small but it works. i didnt even need to bait it. 

Edited by Sculpin - October 27 2010 at 5:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic