Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

We need your help! Donations for kids Aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: We need your help! Donations for kids Aquarium
    Posted: September 06 2011 at 12:44pm

We need your help!

The National Association for Child Development is an international organization.   
Children with physical and developmental problems from throughout the world come into our national office on 25th st in Ogden. They specialize in helping kids with autism, down syndrome, and genetic disorders. When children come into an office environment they are often anxious and nervous, so at NACD we have attempted to make our facility as homey and nurturing as possible. We are now trying to establish an aquarium to add to the friendly, warm and hopefully positive experience that children have when visiting NACD. We plan to also make it a learning experience with the kids with books, and pictures explain all the different fish that are in the tank.

They had been looking to get a tank for the last year or so, so when I saw Richs 180 gallon system come up for sale at such a great price I jumped on it and donated it to them. Im helping them set it up as a FOWLER System.    Later in the week I will also be selling some of my personal frags as a fundraiser for the project so look for that.

So we need your help to finish the project!

We are looking for donations of fish: Tangs, clowns/with a nem, angles, anthius, wrasses, and other non super aggressive fish.   So if you have big fish that have out grown your system send em our way!

We also need some dry goods for the system. We need a protein skimmer, RO System, UV sterilizer, and salt.   Also possibly a light. It has VHOs built into the hood which I havent checked to see if they work yet.

Also the tank is not currently plumbed so we need help with that. When the tank was moved it had to be taken a part a bit so most of the plumbing is there, it just needs to be put back together and a few pieces replaced like bulk heads. It has a closed loop system and external return pump so its kind of complicated plumbing job. More complicated than I’m comfortable doing for sure. So we are looking for help with that.

If you would like to contribute to or assist with our aquarium project you can make your tax deducible donation to the NACD Foundation. Livestock, drygoods, cash, and even your time can be written off. You will receive a form in the mail from us to fill out if you donate any of those things.   

I'm going to reach out to some of our great LFS to seem if they can help in any way too.

I'll try and get some pictures of everything up soon.

Thank you for your help and support.

Click here to make a donation

Edited by Laird - October 14 2011 at 9:59am
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
m.ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m.ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 1:11pm
I guess that makes me feel a little better about losing out on such a sweet deal!!!  That tank was so close to being mine, I got the word that it had sold right as my wife gave me the permission to call him back and pay for it. . . I was very sad that night.

This project sounds awesome!!!  I hope it works out great, if it wasn't so far away I'd come down and donate some time. 

Keep us all updated with it though!
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 1:23pm
This is terrific! This is a great project, I love it. If you are in need of juvenile Clowns let me know I would love to donate some.
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

This is terrific! This is a great project, I love it. If you are in need of juvenile Clowns let me know I would love to donate some. Pam

Thanks pam! I had a feeling you would make that offer, you guys are just so generous    

We'd love to have some baby clowns, just need to get this big boy set up first.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 1:31pm
I would donate an anenome green or rose and what ever other corals I can grow by when the tank is ready
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 1:40pm
Awesome!   I think an anemone is about the only coral I'm going to put in the tank, and thats just for the clowns which I know would be a favorite of the kids.   I need to make the tank as easy to maintain as possible.   I mostly want to have a bunch of beautiful and colorful fish.   I think thats what they would like the most.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 1:57pm
Pm me and I will send you my info then you can contact me when ever you are ready
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Sitaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 4:30pm
I have a LARGE puffer for ya!  Let me know when the tank is ready and I'll bring him over. 
Tons of livestock including fish, coral, and inverts currently in stock. We also have Reeflo pumps, SeaChem additives, Brine Shrimp Direct foods, and ATI lighting in stock.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 4:31pm
Thanks, you rock bill!

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 4:38pm
If you make it to salt lake I can donate salt for you. I would like to keep the bucket but it should cover the initial setup for you. If anyone can come with a container for it it is yours.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 4:41pm
Is it reef friendly? Meaning invert friendly? If so and you need snails, crabs, shrimp, anemones.... I can help there.

I'm also awesome at plumbing if we can work out a good time for my schedule.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 4:41pm
I got a better idea. When it's up and running just pick a fish you want and let me know. I'll be happy to buy one to donate to you.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Is it reef friendly? Meaning invert friendly? If so and you need snails, crabs, shrimp, anemones.... I can help there.

I'm also awesome at plumbing if we can work out a good time for my schedule.

Adam

Thats a good questions that I'd like to get everyones input on it.

My inspiration for the tank was the fish only tank at the aquarium. I just thought kids would rather see fish like puffers and angles more thank coral and crabs. I also know that a swim tank is pretty easy to maintain compared to a reef since I've had both.   

What does everyone think?

Maybe help me put together a fish wish list.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 6:13pm
Here is a rather large list. Not planning on putting all these in, just some ideas of fish and thought I'd get peoples opinion on each. Maybe give some ratings like, Must have, maybe, No way, etc   
Obviously some of them can only be in fish only tank but havent ruled out doing a all reef safe fish with some crabs, shrimp, etc.

I for sure want at least a couple big colorful fish because some of the kids will have bad eye sight or in wheels chairs so can't get right up against the class.

Tangs
Yellow
Blue tang
Naso
Kole
Purple
Sailfin
Powder Blue

Angles
Emperor
Queen
Blueface
Flame

Puffers
Porcupine
Dogface
Scibbled
Spotted

Banana wrasse
Formosa wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Pinkface wrasse
Yellow wrasse
Flasher wrasse

Watchman goby
Midas blenny

Harelquin Tusk
flamehawk
Snowflake eel?
Lionfish?
Spotted anthias (favorite in my tank)

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 7:18pm
Even though I'm a bit gimpy, with only one arm, I'll donate time, money, dry goods, set up, maintainence, etc. Just holler and let me know what you need. I'm basically just down the road.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 7:59pm
I'd be happy to donate some time as well. If you need help with plumbing or whatever let me know. I'd also be happy to donate a fish or two off of one of my next orders.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 8:21pm
Ryan from aquatic dreams is going to stop by in the next couple days to plumb it. Aquatic dreams rocks

I cleaned up the clutter and checked everything out and most everything is there for the plumbing, just needs new bulk heads mostly.

After that I think it just needs to be cleaned and it will be ready to go for now. It wont have everything it needs but it will at least be able to start cycling.

Here are some pics. It needs a little work but its going to be awesome.

As you can see in the last pic there is a closed valve where an external skimmer can go. I've never used an external skimmer before.

Thanks everybody for the support. This project is going to turn out amazing.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 8:28pm
Thanks for the offers Brett, and Steve.

I wish I would have asked for help when we were moving it.... That was an awful experience. I've moved 210 gallon tanks and they weren't as heavy as this SOB. Just sitaga and I loaded it and he threw his back out and I felt like my forearms were melted. Moving it in wasn't much more fun either. But thats all over with and the hard parts are done. Hurray.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 8:32pm
How about some advice about filling this big guy?

The RO unit is eventually going to be in a sink that is about 25 feet away from the tank. Should I just run a line from the RO to the tank and then mix the salt in the tank?    I filled my 90 gallon up originally with 5gallon jugs and there is no way I'm doing that with this one.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2011 at 8:34pm
Wow - this is awesome! Way to go Laird! That tank was such a sweet deal, even though I didn't need it, it's sooo much nicer than my system that I too was bummed I missed out on it but to have it go to such a good cause is well worth any and all of us not getting it - cause the kids are getting it!!!

I work 2 jobs and don't really have much free time either - maybe you could setup a paypal account where folks like myself can donate what $$ they can? Or does the NACD Foundation already have one?

Keep us posted on this awesome project - that tank has serious potential and you're a great human being for putting your time, money and energy into it!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic