Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!!!
    Posted: April 04 2005 at 3:01pm
I am posting here since we dont have a pain in the *** section. I have manjo's and I cant seem to get rid of them. I have tried everything know to man from natural peppermints to Stop Apistsia to fresh sqeezed lemon juice injected diectly into them with a syring... Has anyone had any proven success with something??
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 3:07pm
Peppermint shrimp always worked for me. But using a high dose of kalkwasser works pretty good. Just can't do it very often.
Mix kalkwasser and water into a clayish like mixture. Use a syringe to spray it right on top of them. Its always worked for me. Depending on your tank, is how much and many you can kill. Try to get the syringe as close to the aptasia before spraying them. It will also kill any coral it gets on.
Good luck!
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 3:25pm

I agree with pmpt.  Kalkwasser is very effective against Majanos.  I inject it right into their mouths.  They soon waste away.

I don't think that peppermints are an effective control against majanos, but do work fairly well against aiptasia.

Edited by Jake Pehrson
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 3:34pm
Wow! A presidenty member agreeing with me! I must have done something right in some previous life!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 4:04pm
Hey, that's what I did, too! I got a long acrylic tube and "fed" it to
them! I had quite a few, and it worked wonderfully. If you can
put just a polyp full right on them, they will close up on it, and
everything else will be fine!

Now, I just have to get rid of my aiptasias! I am going to make
my lionfish live in the sump while his dinner eats 'em all!
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 6:08pm
Thanks guys... Im going to try that & let you know how it works....

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 6:37pm

Connie I use the following formula.

1 teaspoon pickling lime and 2 tablespoons tap water--- cook 40 seconds in the micro, let cool and use a syringe to apply. If you need syringes I've got em!

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 6:56pm
I wouldn't heat the water.  There is no reason to IMO.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 7:09pm
I got the formula from Garf and it works really good.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 8:52pm
What does a manjo look like? I may have one..
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 11:15pm
Imagine if you will... a very small(baby) bubble tip anemone with a slightly more ring-type/circular arrangement of "bubble tips"... usually a relatively large open disc surrounding the mouth, too and light brown-tan color. 
www.captivereefing.com
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 11:29pm
dukester48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dukester48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 4:16am
Im a newbe and just wondering if anyone has a remomendation on an anemone to keep in a 24 gal nano-cube[that will host clowns]..?¿?..(I dont want to fill the whole tank w/ an anemone{1 foot 8 inches)¿¿¿
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 10:00am
First, how long has your tank tank been set up?
Second, What kind of lighting are you using?
Third, What kind of clown fish do you have?

But in general, I'd use a regular bubble tipped anenome. They're relatively cheap, and seem to be pretty hardy. Plus most any kind of clown will host in them. I've always had good luck with them and your typical "nemo" looking clowns.
Hope this helped.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 10:29am

Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

I got the formula from Garf and it works really good.

I'm not questioning the ratio of water to lime, but I'm not sure why the would recommend heating the water.  It won't hurt anything, but I'm not sure it would help either.  Especially because the are cooling it before application.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 12:11pm

If you're cooling it before application, then I would likely skip the heating part... not sure what purpose it would serve.  Some people do inject hot water though. 

I just make a slurry of room temperature water and kalk.  It definitely kills aptasia, but out of the ashes I usually get a two or three babies sprout up.  I've never tried it on majanos.

Edited by jfinch
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

If you're cooling it before application, then I would likely skip the heating part... not sure what purpose it would serve.  Some people do inject hot water though. 

If you are injecting it hot then I would understand that, but like Jon said if you are cooling after I would just skip the heating process.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 2:39pm
Ok, Martha stewart I am not... What is pickling lime and where do I get it??? Why use it instead of the kass whatever stuff....

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

I wouldn't heat the water.  There is no reason to IMO.
And according to JFinch, because of the chemistry of it, kalkwasser dissolves to a higher concentration, thus a higher pH, in cold water.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 4:04pm
Pickling Lime is Kalkwasser. It is sold in some grocery stores for canning pickles.

Kalkwasser has been discussed a lot here on the MB. It's German for "Calcium/Chalk Water" Do a search. It is Calcium Hydoxide, Ca(OH)2, a chemical that adds a lot of Calcium to the aquarium when used as topoff. I don't have a Calcium Reactor, but my clams, LPS and SPS seem to grow very well with 1-2 gals of Kalkwasser added every night.

It can be bought at the LFS or I can just give you some.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic