Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow Gobies and SPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow Gobies and SPS
    Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:18pm

Da** clown gobies!

I thought I knew what I was doing when I added 2 yellow gobies to my tank. I got them from the Weimers. I thought, "I know they will sit in the corals but it can't be too bad." Boy was I wrong.

My 2 gobies go through every single acro in the tank and wiggle in it and mouth the polyps until they are all closed up, then they move to the next one and so on and on.

At this point, I have no polyp extension on many of my acros, where as prior to adding those @%$* gobies, every acro had outstanding extension.

My questions are....

1. Will the acros eventually become accustomed to the harrasment and start extending polyps when the gobies leave?

2. Should I try to get rid of the gobies?

3. What are others experiences with these little guys and did I make a mistake in adding them?

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 8:13pm
They are trying to make a nest.  I've read on reefcentral that sometimes they will strip away the coral flesh in order to do that.  I would get rid of them
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 8:34pm

Well here are my answers (guesses )...
1) No
2) No
3) Fair, good move

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 10:16pm
I have several in my tank. I love them. They will eventually find a a suitable spot and settle in. I havn't noticed any problems with coral growth as a result of my clown gobies. When they spawn, they attach the eggs to an acro branch. The flesh in this area dies. But, the good thing is they place the eggs in the same location each time.
This is exactly where they live in the wild, so I'd say wait it out and see if things improve. If they don't give me a call. I'd love to add them to my tank.

Good luck.
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 11:15pm
I have a pair and see no real harm from them... IMO, polyp extention will recoup and things will return to normal. 
www.captivereefing.com
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 8:58am
Coral Harrassment Lawsuit!

Sorry, I should have voiced my concerns when I was holding these for you.
I say sue the little buggers.
Didn't you have a clown goby before that was harrassing coral?
What happened to #3 Goby?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 7:25pm

Ok - I've had it with them.  All of my SPS are closed up and I think some are starting to die.  I read about them on reef central and they said to try siphoning them out at night.  That didn't work. 

I've stood there with a net for hours - no luck.  They are smart.  CoreyK said to starve my tank for a week and then trap them (remember the trap Corey).  Do you think a week is too long for the other fish.  It seems like a long time to go without food.

Mark - the third Goby is in my nano and the office and doing fine.  Amie if I catch them - you get one.

This tank stuff - why do we get into these things?  Shane H. has clown gobies and his corals look awesome.  Why oh why can't I (sounds like a song )

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
jcard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2005 at 11:53pm
I had a clown gobie in my tank for 3 days.  Last time I saw him...  I mean second to last time I saw him, he was hanging out in my cup coral.  The last time I saw him, my cup coral was spitting the rest of him out .  That was an expensive snack.  Want a cup coral?  No joke.  
100g reef
South Jordan
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2005 at 1:59pm
Got one!  I'm using the small trap from Corey.  I actually put a peice of SPS in the trap.  I have not fed the tank for 5 days.  One to go and my SPS can recover!
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2005 at 2:12pm
You're getting to be quite the fishing expert Susan, congrats , and good luck with the last one.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 5:04pm

Funny story -

As you know, I have been trying unsuccessfully go catch this last goby.  I have 7-8 corals in my frag tank in "time out" because they lost all their polyps and browned out.  We tried starving him and trapping him, no luck.  Catching them with a net, no luck,  Using the syphon tube, no luck,

So..last night Fred decided we should try the shop vac.  "Ok" I said.  We made some new saltwater, got the shop vac and I aimed the hose right at the goby.  "Go" I said.  He turned it on and the goby swam away.  So I said "Stop"

I'm standing there with the vacuum hose in the tank when all of a sudden, water gushes out of the vacuum and all over the floor.  "What's going on" I yell.  "You create a syphon Fred says and your syphoning water."

Duh, why didn't I think of that.  So...we were up late cleaning up Salt Water!   Still, no goby! 

Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 5:23pm
I mean... Sorry for the accident. Good luck catching that last goby!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 6:17pm
That could only happen to you 1! Here I thought all the tramua's were gone.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 10:01pm
Susan after reading this post I tried the siphon trick. I have to say that was the easiest way to catch a fish I have ever used. It took me 45 seconds to catch the fish and put him in my sump. I just siphoned the display water to the sump so I could keep a continuous siphon. Once the siphon was going I just put it in front of the fish and there it went down to the sump. If you do not want to keep the fish in the sump you could do a siphon into a filter sock or even a stainer that is placed in the sump to catch the fish.
smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 10:15pm
Chris - I'm jealous!!  My fish sees me coming now.
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 12:53am

Sorry to hear about your back syphoning problem.  Good thing you own a shopvac so you could clean up that mess.

Here's an idea for a trap that I would like someone to tell me if it would work or not.  What if you put a sealed plastic box in your tank (much like the traps), but kept the door on so no water could get into it.  Then, point the door towards the fish you want to catch and pull the door off quickly.  Wouldn't he get sucked into the box?  I'm pretty sure this wouldn't work for Susan, but I have a friendlier percula that I am trying to catch and he's always just out of my reach.

I might try syphoning him down to my refugium, that's a great idea.

Edited by Amie
Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 1:35am

The fish would probably be sucked into the container like you are thinking. But the problem would be getting the open container out of the tank with the fish inside. Fish are very fast and it would probably just swim out of the container.

I am now a big fan of a siphon to remove problem fish. This was very easy and fast.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2005 at 2:30am
Okay. I'm imagining a siphon hose stuck to the side of a big Yellow Tang, while I scramble for that net to put under it while trying frantically not to lose the suction as I pull it out of the water!

Susan, isn't it about time for a little spearfishing expedition? I'm sure that we can come up with plans for a barbed needle dart that shoots through a plastic straw or something...

Amie's comment about the shop vac caused me to bust a gut.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 9:26am

Susan, did you ever catch that last goby or has he settled down?

Mike

smatney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smatney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 3:48pm
I took the tank apart to get him out.  He never settled down. 
Susan Matney
Farmington, UT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic